- - - - -

Logitech GS & G940 Firmware Update

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:26

Hi all

Logitech has release version 5.09 of their Gaming Software.
This also includes a firmware update for the G940, which opens up some nice goodies!
For complete details see this thread at SimHQ;
http://simhq.com/for...tml#Post3014202">http://simhq.com/for...bbthreads.php/t … ost3014202
I'm sure it is also posted at logitechs site.

#2 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:05

Butch_Nackley,

thanks for informing us.
As soon as I get home I'll D/L & install it.

S!

#3 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:29

Thanks Butch..

At last!

#4 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 19 May 2010 - 14:16

Anyone that DL's and uses this, please post your findings and results here AFTER the update.

#5 Zerotown

Zerotown

Posted 19 May 2010 - 21:03

I have had time for only a quick test with a Dr.1 profile at the following settings:

G940 settings:
Total strength: 101%
Spring effect: 70%
Damper effect: 70%
Centering spring: OFF
Hysteresis: default

In-game settings:
Force: 28%
Shaking: 100%
Pitch, roll and yaw curves slightly flattened out at the center

Results
I find the Dr.1 to be vastly more responsive than with the 5.08 driver. Turns are very tight and I need to be careful not to go into a spin as a result. I'll probably have to play around with the curves some more to ease it out a bit and would welcome input with regards to the general settings. Overall, the stick feels much tighter when moving around the center, wich I like a lot.

#6 Damocles

Damocles

Posted 19 May 2010 - 21:18

Seams a lot tighter now.

However I'm confused (not difficult), what affects the pressure felt on the aircraft control surfaces, high speed/stiff, low speed/slack.

I was recently given to believe it was the return to centre spring strength, is that wrong ?

#7 Damocles

Damocles

Posted 19 May 2010 - 21:54

Yukkk.

I have a real problem playing with no return to centre spring. I usually fly the Camel which spins readily enough, but without the RtC spring I can hardly manoeuvre at all without auguring in.

It's incredible the different flying experiences one gets from having slight changes to a stick profile, it's can be pure joy or complete frustration.

#8 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:15

After a very short testing yesterday it seems to me, that some looseness of the stick in the center position I had experienced in RoF before, is gone - so I'm able to aim more precisely now because a/c is not so much bouncing from side to side as it did before.

I also like the possibility to adjust FFB in the profiler separately for each game (currently RoF, IL2, WoP and BoB II in my case).

I'll do more testing/adjustments during next weekend.

#9 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 20 May 2010 - 21:27

Thanks for the reports guys

I'm going to install it tomorrow.
I haven't yet because I have a race tonight and just as a precaution I decided to wait. Not that I expect any trouble. But since I also use a G25 for racing, I didn't want to chance anything suddenly popping up that needed attention.

#10 Damocles

Damocles

Posted 20 May 2010 - 21:39

So far, this seems to be an improvement.

If you do end up updating. I would reduce the in-game FFB setting (shaking I left at 100%) mine is set at approx 25%, reduced from 39%, as initially the stick felt much stiffer than before. RTC, I think I have set at 10% in the Logitech controllers settings panel, although I may adjust this later.

#11 Zerotown

Zerotown

Posted 20 May 2010 - 22:33

Good evening gentlemen,

as before, I've made some new profiles for some of ROF's planes, wich work with the new 5.09 drivers. I've put them up here. Personal preference these, of course, but I hope you'll benefit from them.

#12 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:31

Wow, terrible race tonight, blew my motor :cry:
But I wouldn't trade it for anything. I was almost ready to install this new software/firmware yesterday, but just had one of those feelings (like I said, I was more worried about my wheel than the joystick). So I decided to wait. I just now got done reading over at Logitech's forums. It seems many are not at all happy with this update for their G940's.
If you haven't already install the firmware, WAIT!
As far as I can tell, you can not go back. I feel sure they will release a rollback version, but as of now there isn't anyway to return the G940 to the prior version. I'm not talking about the 5.09 software, that of course can be uninstalled and 5.08 put back on your system. It is the Firmware that can not be rolled back at present.

Not everyone is unhappy with it, but many are. So, if you think it may be something that will not suit you, DO NOT install the firmware update. At least not until they release a rollback version, just in case.

#13 Zerotown

Zerotown

Posted 21 May 2010 - 18:09

Quick post to let you gentlemen know I've uploaded some new profiles and suggestions for the G940's global settings. Using these, the handling of my planes feels nearly identical as with the 5.08 patch. (At least for me). You can find everything here.

#14 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:54

I've been away so only just loaded the new software.. I bit the bullet and did the firmware too. And it may be the placebo effect :roll: but it appears to handle better now and seems just more real in the "feel" ;) I've left the Logitech profile at default and kept my in game settings - the only one I tweaked was the controls feedback - down to 0.2 for the Entente - Nothing else needed to be done :)

So for once a decent upgrade with no fuss! I must have done something wrong! :lol:

Keep updating here though as you get used to it… Any problems for anyone?

#15 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:16

ps.. I often get quite a big "kick" in the joystick when the controls are centered and I'm not exerting any force on the stick - it's almost like a self centering thing? But that's disabled on my settings anyway - Does anyone else get this? It's not a problem, but I'd like to eradicate it anyway if poss… ;)

Edit: In both pre and post update..

#16 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 22 May 2010 - 15:42

Yeah Gisbod, I get that too. Not harsh or anything, but once in a while it is like a 'bump' of sorts. Is that what you mean?
I still haven't installed the new software/firmware.
I'm wanting to try it, but don't know if it will suit me. I hear both good and bad about it.
Hopefully they will soon have some way to roll back.

#17 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 22 May 2010 - 16:29

Sounds the same.. It's like a small hydraulic kick, but only occurs when the controls are centered and not holding the stick firmly.. :geek: Anyone else have this? Jay, Zerotown?

Re the firmware - All I can say is, without being very scientific, it does feel better now - it's certainly no worse! I don't know if that's down to the software or firmware, but it hasn't caused me any issues in RoF.. At least so far! :lol:

#18 Zerotown

Zerotown

Posted 22 May 2010 - 20:38

Sounds the same.. It's like a small hydraulic kick, but only occurs when the controls are centered and not holding the stick firmly.. :geek: Anyone else have this? Jay, Zerotown?

Re the firmware - All I can say is, without being very scientific, it does feel better now - it's certainly no worse! I don't know if that's down to the software or firmware, but it hasn't caused me any issues in RoF.. At least so far! :lol:

Hi Gisbod. You mean a soft kick that occurs in-game? (Not the hard self-centering kick that occurs a few times during the boot-process of the pc?) Yeah, I get that too, but not very often. It might have something to do with the so-called "deadman's sensor" on the right hand of the stick: if it thinks no-one's holding it, the stick will self-center, producing the little bump.

As for the update: I share your view on this. I think the 5.09-release is actually quite awesome. Far better accuracy and responsiveness… exactly what I hoped for. The initial behavior did feel different for me though. Reading through the Logitech-forums, I get the impression that this caught a lot of users off-guard.

#19 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 22 May 2010 - 21:02

Hi Zerotown- that sounds exactly like it! Is there a way to turn that off? It's just that I like to hold the controls very lightly.. So I get the kick quite a bit in game.. :?

Definitely better though! :P

#20 Zerotown

Zerotown

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:51

Hi Zerotown- that sounds exactly like it! Is there a way to turn that off?

Well, apart from exerting a normal grip, you can put some black adhesive tape over the sensor. This way, the G940 will permanently think you're holding it. A lot of the DCS:Black Shark (heli-sim) crowd do this, since it allows them to 'trim' the helicopter (keep it flying in a manually set angle without it self-centering again). It's an essential part of that simulation.

Officially though, Logitech advises against these modifications. The deadman's sensor is actually a safety device that prevents the stick from flailing around when unattended. (And thus harming pets and rampant coffee mugs who get in its way). It is possible to get slapped rather hard on your hand/wrist, since the G940's forces are rather powerful.

#21 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:40

Thanks for that Zerotown..

That makes sense.. I'll just learn to grip it a bit harder! ;)

#22 Zerotown

Zerotown

Posted 23 May 2010 - 14:22

Thanks for that Zerotown..

That makes sense.. I'll just learn to grip it a bit harder! ;)

:D

I haven't tried it myself either, but I think you should be resonable safe when playing ROF: the game's ffb-effects consist mainly of 'shaking-around-the-center-of-the-stick'. I haven't noticed any 'hard-and-sudden-flailing-to-one-side' or something like that.

#23 FifthColumnist

FifthColumnist

Posted 23 May 2010 - 23:25

With the new firmware and driver I have an odd issue. The "Spring effect" force seems to vary a great deal at times the ailerons feel very stiff and other times very loose independent of what I would expect the control surface pressure to feel like. I have felt it switch between a very heavy feeling and light in a single mission and even in level flight at constant airspeed. It didnt do this prior to the recent ROF patch and with 5.08 driver. This isn't anything to do with the deadmans switch I am sure.

Anyone else had this issue?

Other than this very annoying issue the overall 'feel' is much better with the new driver/firmware though.

#24 Zerotown

Zerotown

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:18

With the new firmware and driver I have an odd issue. The "Spring effect" force seems to vary a great deal at times the ailerons feel very stiff and other times very loose independent of what I would expect the control surface pressure to feel like.

That's odd. I haven't noticed anything like it. Are there certain situations in which the stick exerts more force than you would normally expect? It should be pretty loose down on the ground and during stalls. The more airspeed you gain, the more force it should exert. (Though I must say that I think ROF could be improved regarding this aspect. FSX's control surface effects feel much more pronounced - does anyone agree?)

With regards to your settings: which of the spring effect forces are you talking about? The 'regular' one or the 'centering spring force'? Perhaps you would be willing to post your G940's global settings and the in-game one's you're using, so I can try to reproduce this problem.

#25 IRFC_SmokinHole

IRFC_SmokinHole

Posted 02 June 2010 - 23:55

Regarding the dead-man sensor. Mine is taped permanantly. No problems.

Regarding the patch. A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE! I removed all stick curves. Don't need them anymore. Aircraft control is very precise and pleasant. The "gravel-iness" is completely gone. Minimal slop around the center. I've said this so often I might put it on my sig: The G940 has done for my hands what TrackIr has done for my eyes.

Regarding the notching when the ailerons are returned to center. I believe this is from RoF, not logitech. If you look at the in-plane stick, it reflects this same motion as if Neoqb may have intended this to represent the feel of the cables as they slack. We may not have felt it before due to the large sloppy center prior to the update. Black Shark, Falcon, and FC2 do not exhibit this behavior. Since I have the spring force set at 45% and dampening force set at zero, the notching is hardly noticeable.

For those sitting on the fence about the new firmware, you should consider getting off. There is no avoiding it. And as developers begin implementing deeper features of the G940, your un-updated stick may well become incompatable until installing the firmware. And the chances of a roll-back or quick update are extremely slim. Anyway, you will probably welcome the change.

#26 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:33

If you look at the in-plane stick, it reflects this same motion as if Neoqb may have intended this to represent the feel of the cables as they slack.

Anyway, you will probably welcome the change.
I'm not real sure what you mean, but control surface cables are never "slack", unless something is broken.

I would, but with so many complaints at Logitech it is clear many DON'T welcome the change. With no way to go back if it doesn't suit someone, they are stuck with it.

#27 IRFC_SmokinHole

IRFC_SmokinHole

Posted 04 June 2010 - 14:07

If you look at the in-plane stick, it reflects this same motion as if Neoqb may have intended this to represent the feel of the cables as they slack.

Anyway, you will probably welcome the change.
I'm not real sure what you mean, but control surface cables are never "slack", unless something is broken.

I would, but with so many complaints at Logitech it is clear many DON'T welcome the change. With no way to go back if it doesn't suit someone, they are stuck with it.

Maybe they don't in the F-86 you fly but they sure do in some of the old planes I've flown. Anyway, I'll certainly agree that it's not a terribly realistic effect. But it's not one that was introduced by Logitech. RoF is the only sim where I've seen this behavior with my G940 so I don't think Logitech should get kicked around for a peculiarity introduced by another developer.

#28 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:29

A Pull/Pull cable system is never slack. There is always equal tension on the cables.
Please show a system in which cables are slack. I have never seen one.
None in WWI had anything like that, that I know of.
I do not fly a F-86, that is a picture of a friend of mines plane. Sadly neither of which are still with us :cry:

#29 IRFC_SmokinHole

IRFC_SmokinHole

Posted 05 June 2010 - 22:21

Well if you are imagining my description as cables drooping under their own wieght, then that's not what I am saying. Control systems bused with cables and pullies do often exhibit a little notchiness around the center. It's nowhere near as pronounced as I currently experience with the game and perhaps "slack" is the wrong term for it. But it is noticeable enough to me that I prefer control systems with pushrods (well at least I did back when I could afford to fly for fun).

#30 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 05 June 2010 - 23:54

Okay, I think I am following you now.
Unless I am mistaken, you are refering to the lack of weight feel around center? I believe that is what you are explaining as being the slack feeling is now gone after you updated?

If so, I believe that is what some don't like losing with the new firmware.
From what I can tell, the new firmware removes that no weight feeling, with the new center spring. That suits you and others perfectly. But then there are the ones that don't like that and prefer the softer 'no weight' feeling around center.
I am torn between the two. I kinda like the way mine is now. But, tightening up the center might be nice too.
I am afraid to try it. :?

I don't use any curve settings to pitch and roll either. I have my yaw softened up around center with the in game curves though. I used to have pitch and roll adjusted quite a bit with my X45, but since I got the G940 I have been using default. I'm not saying that is ideal for gameplay though :lol: It just suits me for the feel, so I have them straight default now.

#31 DummyBoy

DummyBoy

Posted 18 June 2010 - 16:53

Salute!

Gentleman, I have a few question about G940 …

I have a Saitek X52 Pro, and a Saitek Pro pedal set … I like it, but I have a chance to change it to a G940 set …

But I have bad feelings about it … Reversal bug, pedal, Logitech … (I love Logitech, all of my pheriperial is Logitech from years ago … But the Logi drivers aren't the best ones … like Saitek :) )

G940 owners, what do you think? I mostly (80%) flying with ROF (Other is Black Shark, FC2, WOP) … I heard a lot of good things about FFB … And I'd like to try it …

What are Your opinions? Is the FFB is good? Worth to change? Isn't the pedal too narrow? And soo on …

Please help my choice :)

Thanks!

Dummy

#32 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 18 June 2010 - 18:57

Salute!

G940 owners, what do you think? I mostly (80%) flying with ROF (Other is Black Shark, FC2, WOP) … I heard a lot of good things about FFB … And I'd like to try it …

What are Your opinions? Is the FFB is good? Worth to change? Isn't the pedal too narrow? And soo on …

Thanks!

Dummy

G940 is rather expensive, but I don't regret buying it…
I "fly" IL2, BoB II, WoP, RoF and in all these sims it behaves very well.
FFB is adjustable to your taste.

#33 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 18 June 2010 - 21:26

Salute!

Gentleman, I have a few question about G940 …

I have a Saitek X52 Pro, and a Saitek Pro pedal set … I like it, but I have a chance to change it to a G940 set …

But I have bad feelings about it … Reversal bug, pedal, Logitech … (I love Logitech, all of my pheriperial is Logitech from years ago … But the Logi drivers aren't the best ones … like Saitek :) )

Thanks!

Dummy

G940 is the best joystick set i've bought for ROF.
No more curves for planes, FFB is the greatest i've ever had, double throttle set is wonderfull experience for me as well (second throttle is mapped to mixture - fantastic)
Only bad thing imo, is the rudder pedals…i kept my Saitek one, they are way better for me. On Logitech we can't adjust the distance between pedals, and the force like on Saitek.

#34 Kudlius

Kudlius

Posted 20 June 2010 - 16:40

I am not able to assign mouse left button for my joystick button.
I select 'Mouse Left Button' in Logitech Profile but it is not working.
Do you use this option?

#35 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 20 June 2010 - 16:47

sri double post

#36 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 20 June 2010 - 16:49

I have a G940 and I don't use the Logitech profiler at all.

Everything you need to assign can be linked up with the controls panels in RoF.

If you use both the RoF control panels and the Logitech profiler, you run the very real risk of creating conflicts.

And you can't do away with the RoF control panels, so that's the one I use.

Again, don't use the Logitech profiler and your life will be much simpler.

The stick itself is great IMO!

Hope that helps.

HT

#37 O_catarM

O_catarM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 18:32

If you use both the RoF control panels and the Logitech profiler, you run the very real risk of creating conflicts.

Hope that helps.

HT
So how do you adjust FFB then. I believe it's only possible in Logitech profiler or not???

#38 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 10 July 2010 - 19:59

Hope that helps.

HT
So how do you adjust FFB then. I believe it's only possible in Logitech profiler or not???

I adjust it both in the game (at the bottom of the Responses control panel) and using the "settings" your control panel/devices and printers/G940 joystick control.

Both definitely control how much feedback you get without creating a profile. You must have the latest Logitech drivers and software installed on your computer for the devices settings to work; you just don't need to create a separate profile (I hope that's clear). I think Logitech calls them "global" settings; some of their terminology is too geek for me :lol:

I find the FF in RoF a bit too puny (in fact, it doesn't even warn you of an incipient stall in the Camel even though I get plenty of warning in the SE5a) so I have both of those controls set high.

I also find it helps calibrate everything (I read it on a Logitech forum) to work all your control axes several times before you start the engine.

Hope that helps.

HT

#39 catchov

catchov

Posted 10 July 2010 - 23:32

I find the FF in RoF a bit too puny
(in fact, it doesn't even warn you of an incipient stall in the Camel even though I get plenty of warning in the SE5a) so I have both of those controls set high.

Yes that's my impression and experience too regardless of FFB stick used. I don't use the G940 btw.

#40 DummyBoy

DummyBoy

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:48

Salute!

Unfortunately I didn't fly a few months ago, but I've found something which can be interesting for G940 users :)

Logitech released a new firmware to G940, to fix the "Reversal bug".

I didn't try it yet, but I will :)

G940 new firmware 1.42

Merry Christmas, and Happy Holiday to all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users