Photo
- - - - -

"!NEWBIE Dogfight server" is online.

• Please log in to reply
352 replies to this topic

#41 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 22 May 2010 - 17:16

Thanks also go out to Manni and Vall too for setting this up ;) I've had a lot of fun going down in flaming fuselages :lol: For beginners, there sure are some hotshots :shock:
I looked in there yesterday. I just couldn't resist taking a quick spin and was shot down in short order. So I did what any red-blooded human would do and took off again in a fit of utter rage and went looking for the rascal in order to give him a damn good thrashing. Damn me… the confounded blighter shot me down again! I've since requested a transfer into the infantry.

Goodbye chaps. It's been an honour flying with you. The next time you're flying over the trenches remember that I will be looking longingly up at you - and hoping you get shot to hell.
S!

#42 cwmiforphill

cwmiforphill

Posted 22 May 2010 - 20:18

It doesn't seem to be awfully newbie - when I was on there last night (my first time on multiplayer) I seemed to have been shot down by everyone, viks, gimpy etc this was even though I was trying to run away in my se5a (supposedly the fastest plane in rof ( but obviously not when I'm flying)) Can we have a "absolute idiots, newbie newer mates with no flying ability, lucky to get in the air without crashing" server please ???

#43 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 22 May 2010 - 20:39

It doesn't seem to be awfully newbie - when I was on there last night (my first time on multiplayer) I seemed to have been shot down by everyone, viks, gimpy etc this was even though I was trying to run away in my se5a (supposedly the fastest plane in rof ( but obviously not when I'm flying)) Can we have a "absolute idiots, newbie newer mates with no flying ability, lucky to get in the air without crashing" server please ???

Yes, you're right. I know that some of those pilots have been around an awful long time.
Cheers.

#44 Sleazy

Sleazy

Posted 22 May 2010 - 20:44

Well, i just got my first MP session on RoF on the newbie server. Got two planes down before i got shot(Red screen), but i managed to land alive on my side. I have to say that i am highly impressed with how the netcode handles the game. I live in a island right in the middle of nowhere and it still actually felt very smooth.

One etiquette question thought.

When i connected i flew around in the middle of the map for a couple minutes looking for an enemy plane. I found one after circling around for a little while, but then after waiting for another plane for a couple more minutes i decided to fly over the enemy base to see what was up and i saw the enemy planes circling around at a low level on their own base.

I took one down (Sorry!) since i didn't saw that they were moving onto the open sea, but that was when i got shot. So my question is this; Is it ok to shoot enemy planes that are circling around their bases if they aren't moving toward the open sea? Or should i just wait around?

#45 Blade79

Blade79

Posted 22 May 2010 - 20:47

Bad news is I suck badly :oops:

Hey, I suck too! I was shot down 1000 times in a row or I crashed in the lake :D
…but it's still so much fun.

Thanks again for the newbie server!

#46 Blade79

Blade79

Posted 22 May 2010 - 20:57

One etiquette question thought.

When i connected i flew around in the middle of the map for a couple minutes looking for an enemy plane. I found one after circling around for a little while, but then after waiting for another plane for a couple more minutes i decided to fly over the enemy base to see what was up and i saw the enemy planes circling around at a low level on their own base.

I took one down (Sorry!) since i didn't saw that they were moving onto the open sea, but that was when i got shot. So my question is this; Is it ok to shoot enemy planes that are circling around their bases if they aren't moving toward the open sea? Or should i just wait around?

I have kind of the same question. It happend to me quiet often when I try to land my damaged plane that I get shot at while landing or even when I already landed. So, after this I also shot at a landing planes and was told that this isn't polite. I know that and said I'm sorry.
But it would be nice if everybody would act that way and don't shot at landing planes.

#47 Sleazy

Sleazy

Posted 22 May 2010 - 21:11

Well, in my case they weren't landing, they were just circling around.

I was on D.VIIF way above them, hoping that one would see me and maybe chase me to the open sea, but they kept flying in circles at a low altitude. After a little while someone on a Dr1 came and started to attack them, that's when i decided to drop down and join the fray. I shot a Nieuport and i though he was going to land so i disengaged him, but he them pulled up again so i attacked him until he went down.

I apologize if what i did was wrong thought, but i would still like to know where's the line.

#48 Nooney

Nooney
  • LocationOn your 6 Boooooom

Posted 22 May 2010 - 22:54

Well, in my case they weren't landing, they were just circling around.

I was on D.VIIF way above them, hoping that one would see me and maybe chase me to the open sea, but they kept flying in circles at a low altitude. After a little while someone on a Dr1 came and started to attack them, that's when i decided to drop down and join the fray. I shot a Nieuport and i though he was going to land so i disengaged him, but he them pulled up again so i attacked him until he went down.

I apologize if what i did was wrong thought, but i would still like to know where's the line.
If there in the air plug em :lol: I went on the newbie and loved it and hay there are some dam good pilots in there best not to shoot them taking off but spook em by buzzing them :lol: but great fun meeting new pilots

No matter how good you are there are a million other people better than you boy.....Homer Simpson.

#49 A.Challenge

A.Challenge
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted 22 May 2010 - 23:39

So, if the more experienced pilots are proponents of the "full realism" settings, why are they hopping on the newbie server? Not very challenging is it?

campribV.png

#50 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:59

….what can you do if it's the only populated server? :(

It's what I did too, today. I'm not a huge ace but I've got plenty of experience to have no place on that server if I think about it logically.

But the server description says "all are welcome" and it seems everyone takes that to heart, so I'm not the only non-newb player by far. And with teams of 13 versus 5, I can't take it seriously anyway.

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=10124

Also, the server rules say "vulching is allowed" so don't worry about that.

#51 Koz

Koz

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:37

Is there a process in place to ensure experienced people don't enter just for fun and giggles?

#52 A.Challenge

A.Challenge
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:47

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. Not having to work so hard to keep your plane in the air frees up the adrenalin for fighting and there are a wide range of skill levels to fight against. It's still fun to get try to not get shot down and when you've had a good run whether you win, lose or draw, it feels good.

It's more the erratic way of joining the fray. You spawn, fly up, and depending on which side has the most planes in the air, you are either swarmed or joining a swarm. It's the nature of a two-sided game of temporary elimination. (Your dead, wait 10 seconds and start again.) Again, that just means you get to fly more planes, on both sides. Experience is good.

What I would like to see, and I will admit, up front, I like the romantic myth of the era as well as the reality, is the more experienced pilots, instead of just swooping into the furball, find pilots not engaged, and try to draw them off for a little one-on-one. Use your skill to push the pilot; play with your food before you eat it. Or just kill them outright, fair is fair. :lol:

campribV.png

#53 catchov

catchov
  • LocationQld, Australia

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:29

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.

I don't either. Well, not yet anyway :lol: I want to learn from the masters and to be thrown in the deep end isn't too bad a way to learn.

My intention is to fly Entente all the time (eyes light up from delighted CP pilots) and learn how to beat the blighters or at least put up a reasonable show.

I am, however, slightly disconcerted that the D7 can do amazing things that was impossible for the SE (my ride of choice, God I love that bird) to counter.

One guy was toying with me in his D7. He was calmly popping gasbags when I saw him. I headed toward him and he played that he hadn't seen me as I approached (that's what it seemed to me but I'm sure he was very aware of my existence) and continued popping balloons. He even let me get into firing range ….. come closer he was saying …. and I popped off a few rounds. He then disengaged form firing range rather swiftly and gained height like a lift, swung around and gave me what for ! I never had a chance.

The D7's appear to do vertical turns on a bleedin' sixpence at speed without stalling or losing any momentum. Now I'm no hotshot but he was. So perhaps it was far better flying but I didn't think I was that bad. Maybe I am :oops:

Anyway I'm gonna stick with the SE and gain more experience. But I need to get an advantage, however slight. So, it's back to the curves for me :shock: Currently I'm running stock curves but they don't seem to cut it for me in MP. And the stock elevator up mode in the SE makes no sense to me as it's always wanting to buck up with just the slightest loss of forward stick pressure :? It's a tad irritating.

#54 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:38

Just keep at it Catchov, I know for a fact that there will come a time when you will give any DVII a run for his money in your SE5a. Just try to learn what not to do before learning what to do!

#55 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 23 May 2010 - 14:11

Just keep at it Catchov, I know for a fact that there will come a time when you will give any DVII a run for his money in your SE5a. Just try to learn what not to do before learning what to do!
…and just wait until you can switch the RPM-limiter off. It's slowing the acceleration down and knocking about 10mph off the top speed ;) .
Cheers.

#56 catchov

catchov
  • LocationQld, Australia

Posted 23 May 2010 - 14:35

Thanks for the encouragement and advice Jorri :) It may be a long time :lol: But I have modified my Se5a (and Camel, why the hell not) curves as per Miggins outstanding contribution and explanation of curves. I get it now. Sort of. Not really :oops:

Seriously the SE flies more like I imagined it should now. So I have to get back into the MP skies pronto. But not now. It's late here downunder and I'm gonna hit the sack. Work tomorrow …. well today now :P

…and just wait until you can switch the RPM-limiter off. It's slowing the acceleration down and knocking about 10mph off the top speed ;) .
Cheers.

Good news pigsty. When's that gonna happen :P

#57 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 23 May 2010 - 15:54

When this server was opened I decided to finally jump on line to fly against humans for the first time and was pleasantly surprised at my skills. Well real life inervened and I was out of town for three days and was unable to fly. I jumped back in yesterday and Zounds :shock: people have gotten a lot better in a hurry! We need an intermediate server or us "newbies" will be scaring off the real newbies pretty quickly.

#58 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 23 May 2010 - 17:22

Thanks for the encouragement and advice Jorri :) It may be a long time :lol: But I have modified my Se5a (and Camel, why the hell not) curves as per Miggins outstanding contribution and explanation of curves. I get it now. Sort of. Not really :oops:

Seriously the SE flies more like I imagined it should now. So I have to get back into the MP skies pronto. But not now. It's late here downunder and I'm gonna hit the sack. Work tomorrow …. well today now :P

Cheers.

Good news pigsty. When's that gonna happen :P

Soon I hear. They're working on it :D .

#59 =FB=VikS

=FB=VikS
  • Developer

Posted 23 May 2010 - 22:03

viks? I didnt made even single sortie there.
Maybe you mistaken me with someone?

#60 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:43

I am telling you guys, if you need somone to just drop in and fly maneuvers without returning fire I will gladly do that. its hard to learn if you have asshatts dropping in and gunning you down for some easy points.

Also if you want and it will help weed out the stat whores. Run your server with Mods on. This way it wont give them any incentive to even log into your server. What fun is it gunning down new people if only to stroke ones ego.

#61 catchov

catchov
  • LocationQld, Australia

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:10

That's a nice offer Viper to the newbie lads but personally I don't mind really. I didn't find any offensive behaviour or any sign of persistent or obvious vulching. Not that I ever got to land :lol: But I took off a lot :lol: :lol: BTW, vulching is allowed on the newbier server which perhaps should be withdrawn unless there is an unwritten rule not to do it for the sake of the newbs ?

I did get my arse kicked but I was looking for trouble and the better pilots won after giving me chances (that I blew) and then promptly sent me west ! That's fair enough.

But what does concern me, always flying Entente, is fifi's thread below. If this is true then it's clearly unfair to Entente players. No dev has commented at all. Completely ignored. Not even a g'day to say we're looking at it … or it's a load of gonads …. or the reason is this or that. Nothing. I don't understand why there is silence ?

http://riseofflight....hp?f=49&t=10052">viewtopic.php?f=49&t=10052 ….

#62 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:08

I was rather appalled yesterday to see lots of veteran pilots fly on the newbie server (you can see the player names in a tool tip in the server browser), even some fellow open beta testers.

The irony is that, while they might be easy points, due to all the aides, the points will be very low. The score for everything scales with the difficulty settings, in SP and MP, so if you are in for the score it is a bit of a waste of time really. Not to mention that I find it quite wrong to fly there to begin with for anyone with more than say 20 hours of MP experience.

#63 ZaltysZ

ZaltysZ

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:27

But it is way harder there. Really. All those aids make engine run like it got bullet. :D Wrong temperature due to auto radiator, wrong air-fuel mixture. I can't do some maneuvers in newbie server, but I can pull them in full real easily.

#64 AllanPrewett

AllanPrewett

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:17

As a Newbie, I hope I behave correctly, but what is vulching?
Have had a few accidental head on's.
But got my new rudder pedals.

Allan

#65 Nooney

Nooney

Posted 24 May 2010 - 13:13

The thing is if the experienced pilots stay off the newbie the newbies will learn nothing, by getting into the thick of things with more experienced pilots they are learning new skills and less bad habits, that if learnt they will take into the realism MPs and then they end up getting a flea in there ear, from the others. As for vulching good thing if the experienced pilots are in there and the newbies gang up on them both sides are learning something, and as for the newbies shooting at landing planes experienced pilots complain as there used to this being bad form in the realism MPs but newbies don't know that so we have to except it as there form (experienced the guest newbies the owners).

I was in the other night, heading back to my field out of ammo, a newbie came up on my 6 so I let him play, he was learning to handle his kite, 3 times I got on his 6 and took him low through the trees,water, you name it, bet he learnt a bit, I got vulched on landing, but maybe it was there first kill but guarantee they had great fun and hooked for life on MP.

Maybe the experienced pilots get in there and mentor a few newbies, bet they would be glad of it, and bet they wont be newbies for long, so watch your 6. ;)

No matter how good you are there are a million other people better than you boy.....Homer Simpson.

#66 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 24 May 2010 - 13:15

Vulching=Circling a smawn in point and swooping down taking shots when they are vulnerable. Think of yourself as a circling buzzard and the newly spawned in plane as a sun bloated gazell.

Catchov, just keep your head up and on a swivel. What I did to learn was this. In single player at first I flew with all the helpers on. Once I grew confident in an ability I would turn that helper off. Now really the only ones I use are nave Icons and Enemy Icons. Currently its only nav icons. You will get to a point where you feel comfortable and you will know when the time is right to step up the difficulty. Maybe you guys could run your newbie server in a rotation. Week 1 all aides on. Week two one drops off and so on. Then at week 9 you reset or something.

Imperator, Sometimes I wonder myself. Maybe it inflates their already bloated egos by ripping a person learning apart, who knows. If you ever see my name on the list I hope for sure I am not being a prick in there :). You guys on the server let me know, I have not been on there yet but I want people to have fun not just myself.

#67 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 24 May 2010 - 13:16

I agree noony to an extent. If they are helping sure, thats a great thing. Some people do learn from being thrown into water and learning to swim. Others drown and die off and get frustrated.

I still think if they ran their server with "Mods On" half those stat tards wouldnt show up.

#68 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 24 May 2010 - 13:25

Well, I might have been too harsh (tend to be like that :D), Nooney has a point there, especially if the "noobs" are stacking german balancing the entente side might be a good thing for everyone.

Regarding vulching, we allow it in TDM and imo it is a gameplay element of CTF as well. Mind you, vulching in Matts mission comes at a price. Most likely you will not survive the fire from AA guns and machine guns :)

Now, shooting landing planes OTHER THAN AT THEIR AIRFIELD is just fair game imo, if they flee combat because they ran out of fuel or got wounded they should not complain about it.

#69 Nooney

Nooney

Posted 24 May 2010 - 13:27

I agree noony to an extent. If they are helping sure, thats a great thing. Some people do learn from being thrown into water and learning to swim. Others drown and die off and get frustrated.

I still think if they ran their server with "Mods On" half those stat tards wouldnt show up.
Your right there viper, mods on would keep em out, could even add a bit more colour to the newbies, I would still go in as there are some really great people in there and polite I'vbe been rammed a few times and the newbies are quick to say sorry, the ones that dont are obviously embarassed, no big deal back to airdrome for a new kite, quartermasters going mad at the cost though :lol:

#70 Nooney

Nooney

Posted 24 May 2010 - 13:40

It might be nice (and good for the game) if experienced pilots drop by and ask if anyone needs a mentor, if yes spec for 4 or 5 of there flights or even better go as there wingman, (got to say though I have found it funny watching the newbies vulching and so hungry for the kill pile lead into there team mates you can see em at home thinking oops as there team mate goes down :lol: )

#71 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 24 May 2010 - 14:01

So often is the case we all forget we were new at one time. I am definetly going to stop in and add my antics to the fun. :) Maybe I will see you in there Nooney.

#72 Nooney

Nooney

Posted 24 May 2010 - 18:02

If you do viper be nice :lol:
I see all the leaderboard scores are gone Hmmmm

#73 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 24 May 2010 - 18:35

I popped into the newbie server a couple of times and got my coat handed to me on occasion.

Though I have spent quite a while getting pretty good at flying on more real settings(+warm eng. +nav) my actual combat effectiveness is still rather low.

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile setting up the Hussar/Hellequin server with only some aids turned ON on a specific evening to give those pilots new to MP another arena to try stuff out, or even just to see how they do with less help.

I can only boot the H&H server on limited timeslots though, so it would have to be agreed in advance for a specific day (Thursday evenings UK are probably best as the server runs pretty much full real on Tuesdays).

What would I be best turning ON though? I know I had significant problems early on with keeping my engine alive until the end of a mission (though usually I was shot down before I killed the engine myself), so probably some engine stuff could stay, but that would just be my opinion.

How about you more experienced guys suggest a "halfway house" settings protocol I could use and maybe we could kill two birds with one stone? I already have a number of stable TDM missions (with significant AAA defences at airfields to make vulching risky)available on the server from Matt, and it runs fine with 30 pilot slots.

Trying to get a full server to test some more complex missions has been quite hard.

If the new MP pilots are prepared to give it a go I could set up these more complex missions with the "halfway house" settings, what do you guys think of that?

#74 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 24 May 2010 - 19:20

I will be nice, I am always nice :). Like I said earlier I want people to have fun even if that means me getting shot down alot so people get the hang of gunnery.

#75 Nooney

Nooney

Posted 24 May 2010 - 20:11

I popped into the newbie server a couple of times and got my coat handed to me on occasion.

Though I have spent quite a while getting pretty good at flying on more real settings(+warm eng. +nav) my actual combat effectiveness is still rather low.

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile setting up the Hussar/Hellequin server with only some aids turned ON on a specific evening to give those pilots new to MP another arena to try stuff out, or even just to see how they do with less help.

I can only boot the H&H server on limited timeslots though, so it would have to be agreed in advance for a specific day (Thursday evenings UK are probably best as the server runs pretty much full real on Tuesdays).

What would I be best turning ON though? I know I had significant problems early on with keeping my engine alive until the end of a mission (though usually I was shot down before I killed the engine myself), so probably some engine stuff could stay, but that would just be my opinion.

How about you more experienced guys suggest a "halfway house" settings protocol I could use and maybe we could kill two birds with one stone? I already have a number of stable TDM missions (with significant AAA defences at airfields to make vulching risky)available on the server from Matt, and it runs fine with 30 pilot slots.

Trying to get a full server to test some more complex missions has been quite hard.

If the new MP pilots are prepared to give it a go I could set up these more complex missions with the "halfway house" settings, what do you guys think of that?
Sounds great to me Miggs say when and I'll be there :)

#76 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 24 May 2010 - 23:08

Sounds great to me Miggs say when and I'll be there :)
Cheers

Sounds a good idea! I'll drop in too.
Please keep us informed.
Cheers

#77 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 24 May 2010 - 23:58

Tell me just what options you want to have turned ON in settings and I'll set a date for the event.

I an UK time here and the possible window is going to be a Thursday night from around 7pm until I have to close the server down (probably around 11pm).

#78 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:08

Just had a blast flying on the newbie server. A few of us were switching sides to keep it even, everyone was in good spirits and out just to have fun. People evn started flying albys instead of the D7F which made it very fun.

#79 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 25 May 2010 - 17:21

for the last two days the newbie server has not had camels available to fly. Why?

#80 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 25 May 2010 - 23:58

How's about this guys?

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=115450#p115450

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users