352 replies to this topic

#1 =FB=VikS

=FB=VikS
  • Developer

Posted 16 May 2010 - 00:22

SERVER WILL BE DOWN AUGUST 17th from 15:00 GMT till friday (20th) 21:00 GMT
Sorry for inconvenience

Server name in multiplayer lobby: "!NEWBIE Dogfight server"

This server is for Newbies who want to have their first experience in Dogfight.

The server settings is following:

External Views ON
Friendly objects icons in 3D and on the map ON
Eenemy objects icons in 3D and on the map ON
Navigation icons in 3D and on the map ON
No range limit for objects icons on the map ON
Padlock ON
Simple gauges ON
Subtitles ON
Autopilot ON
RPM limiter ON
Automatic mixture control ON
Automatic radiator control ON
Automatic engine start procedure ON
No missfire ON
Warmed up engine when starting on airfield ON

#2 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 16 May 2010 - 00:25

Nice i should clean up there ;)

No its a good idea and I hope it encourages more to take the plunge into MP.

#3 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:25

I ran the Hussar server with most of those setting ON for a couple of months late last year and it was barely used at all compared to the usage it had when I turned off most aids.

Admittedly there seemed to be a lot less pilots out there when there was only co-op available, so maybe it was only the die-hards willing to fly MP then and their taste was for less aids available.

I have become so used to flying with warmed engine and nav icons only now, and because of that my actual flying ability has increased, but I could still see myself joining the Newbie server for a blast anyway, as my actual fighting skills are still rather poor, cheers Viks.

#4 A.Challenge

A.Challenge
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted 16 May 2010 - 18:01

I could live without most of those, but this will get a lot of new flyers to try MP, I think.

Without TIR, or something similar, I'm at a serious disadvantage when padlock and/or external views are off. The rest of the stuff I fly without. Still, I suppose it would be nice to actually stand a chance out there.

Thank you, =FB=VikS, for thinking of us.

campribV.png

#5 Herodotus

Herodotus
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 May 2010 - 19:27

I'll have to try it…I just hope my Ping is good enough living in the backwaters of Australia.

#6 A.Challenge

A.Challenge
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted 16 May 2010 - 21:50

Just came back from this one. When we had 15 or 16 people there was a little stutter, but not much. And it was much fun getting shot down twice; crashed myself thrice, flak for one and got ran into twice. All in all lots of fun.

Edit: Would have liked a DR1, but ya can't have everything, neh, chummer.

campribV.png

#7 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 16 May 2010 - 21:52

Read about this today (Sunday May 16th) and decided to give multiplayer a go for the first time. LOVED IT!!For the first time I felt like I wasn't stepping on someones game that had been set up on the other servers and just jumped in (I am Mike77 in game) Had a great time and will be back for more!

#8 Blade79

Blade79

Posted 16 May 2010 - 22:59

I just flew there an hour or so - I loved it! The newbie server is very good idea!

Erik von Blade

#9 catchov

catchov
  • LocationQld, Australia

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:12

That was quick ! Only talking about it the other day. Sounds great.

Are you forced to fly with the below aids on ? I'd rather manage the engine myself so it becomes second nature in any mode.

RPM limiter ON
No missfire ON

#10 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:17

Maybe you guys could make a poll about it. "Which aides would you like to see turned on" and then offer a multiple choice thing.
I can only speak for myself but I think jumping into the could water is the way to go, I had made sure to grow out of all the aides before I went online in november (only used simple gauges anyway to get used to mixture operation etc) but a server where you can ask questions and get help from fellow noobies might be a good idea.

#11 Flashy

Flashy
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:26

I jumped on last night (well, night for me - GMT +2) and I was promptly vulched taking off :lol: Not that I mind - all's fair in love and war. So I tried again and had quite a nice, relaxed flight with an attempted balloon attack in the middle of a cloud - glad for icons there! I think I jumped on when everyone else was leaving though because I only saw one other friendly aircraft and had no combat. Landed back at my aerodrome after strafing a enemy airfield. Was fun, looking forward to trying when there are more people on and maybe having a chance of shooting down something for a change :)

Just because I can give multiple orgasms to the furniture just by sitting on it, doesn't mean that I'm not sick of this damn war: the blood, the noise, the endless poetry...

#12 Blade79

Blade79

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:06

Mmm, imo you could turn off the "no misfire". It's no big deal to unjam your mg.

#13 kirock777

kirock777

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:48

The server settings is following:

External Views ON
Friendly objects icons in 3D and on the map ON
Eenemy objects icons in 3D and on the map ON
Navigation icons in 3D and on the map ON
No range limit for objects icons on the map ON
Padlock ON
Simple gauges ON
Subtitles ON
Autopilot ON
RPM limiter ON
Automatic engine start procedure ON
No missfire ON
Warmed up engine when starting on airfield ON

I'm curious… can I manage my settings within the servers setup?
In other words, can I turn off (for myself) the RPM limiter the Simple Gauges, Padlock, etc. within the servers settings… or are they etched in stone? (I hate those gauges being on screen!)

#14 =FB=Vaal

=FB=Vaal
  • Developer

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:51

you can only turn off icons and Simple Gauges.
def
icons - "I" button
gauges - "right ctrl + I"

#15 kirock777

kirock777

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:56

def
icons - "I" button

Cool. That sounds manageable… I just HATE those dang gauges being across my screen. :D

#16 Blade79

Blade79

Posted 17 May 2010 - 13:17

def
icons - "I" button

I think it's "left crtl + i" for turning off the gauges.
Maybe both crtl keys work.

#17 Blade79

Blade79

Posted 17 May 2010 - 13:18

I just HATE those dang gauges being across my screen. :D

by the way: me too!

:)

#18 Blade79

Blade79

Posted 17 May 2010 - 15:17

Yesterday my plane respawned right into another plane. My wings were damaged so I didn't start. Did anyone observe something similar?

#19 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 17 May 2010 - 16:03

http://riseofflight....php?f=45&t=9895">viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9895

Heads-up :)

Ming

#20 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 17 May 2010 - 16:47

I am by no means a great pilot but I would love to stop in from time to time to offer pointers if asked. Hell I will even play target drone so people can practice gunnery. I am more interested in people having fun than stats, shoot me a PM if its ok if I stop in.

#21 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 18 May 2010 - 00:12

Nice server for those new to MP, cheers guys.

Jumped in here for a little tonight and had a bit of fun. Remembering to turn off autopilot had me foxed for a time, but it definatey feels significantly different to my normal flight experience.

I did think my gunnery skill was rather well below par judging by how I fair normally, but I managed to get a 5:2 K:D ratio, so I must be getting some lead into my targets.

I think enemy and friendly icons being ON is the biggest drawback for me, just beginning to enjoy the edgy-ness of no icons myself.

Along with all the engine management aids being on too, they make it a really "friendly" arena for learning.

Maybe try either full engine aids OR full icons, but with both sets on it is VERY arcade-like, though it is a good starting point to get more players into MP, and that's it's primary goal I suppose.

If I were still able to run Hussars 24/7 I would run it as a halfway house between these settings and full-real to take new MP pilots a little further into danger.

#22 Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:48

need an intermediate server i'm in between noob and ace. i have to fly somewhat easy settings but not full. just sayin.
D

#23 kirock777

kirock777

Posted 18 May 2010 - 13:33

need an intermediate server i'm in between noob and ace. i have to fly somewhat easy settings but not full. just sayin.
D

+1

I definitely would put myself in the same class… and a server for "intermediates" would be great!

#24 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 18 May 2010 - 13:47

I dont even know where I exist in the food chain. I would help people have fun on all of them I am sure because I make an excellent target.

#25 A.Challenge

A.Challenge
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted 18 May 2010 - 13:57

I'm in the target category of pilot myself. That said, I've gotten fair at engine management and dog fight servers on smaller maps really don't need navigation icons, but how do you decide what to do without? I like that this is here and would like to see an intermediate server as well. I have flown here and found it enjoyable – at least I shot at something before being downed (got 2 actually :shock: ).

Thanks again for setting this up.

campribV.png

#26 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 18 May 2010 - 14:04

On our 4aces server you could call it intermediate I would guess. We have nav icons and enemy icons. We dont have warmed engines on our squad nights but do on open server nights. We have aiming help but its for medical reasons. We are a great bunch of guys. On fridays we have our open server nights, feel free to stop buy.

#27 Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:32

!!!!

#28 Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:33

!!!!

#29 RED_404

RED_404

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:45

Yesterday my plane respawned right into another plane. My wings were damaged so I didn't start. Did anyone observe something similar?

Same about 3 times in-fact one of the times I think it was you that I spawned on. ;)

I love the newbie server I'v had this game for a long time and haven't been playing it do to the fact that I had a ATI 4850 and the game was still buggey at the time, but now I have a Nvidia GTX 480 :twisted: and can play at max settings at 2048x1152. The down side Is now I have no $$$ and can't afford TrackIR or rudder pedals.

@s8n666 you made a great target ;)
S!

#30 Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:45

!!!!

#31 AllanPrewett

AllanPrewett

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:10

Hello,
I did not see Auto Rudder on the list, I don't have pedals. I do have a Eclipse yoke for MFS'ing, but as I read in a very good flight sim book, rudder pedals are rather a waste in flight games as you don't really get the force feel.

So I would love to have Auto Rudder.
And I don't have TIR either, so I consider enemy icons my real life periferal vision.

Allan

#32 RED_404

RED_404

Posted 19 May 2010 - 13:14

Hello,
I did not see Auto Rudder on the list, I don't have pedals. I do have a Eclipse yoke for MFS'ing, but as I read in a very good flight sim book, rudder pedals are rather a waste in flight games as you don't really get the force feel.

So I would love to have Auto Rudder.
And I don't have TIR either, so I consider enemy icons my real life periferal vision.

Allan

Though I may not have rudder pedals I still have Z Rotation on my ThrustMaster T.16000M and after getting used to it feel auto rudder is a bit to restrictive on aircraft handling.

#33 Blade79

Blade79

Posted 19 May 2010 - 13:29

Same about 3 times in-fact one of the times I think it was you that I spawned on. ;)

I love the newbie server I'v had this game for a long time and haven't been playing it do to the fact that I had a ATI 4850 and the game was still buggey at the time, but now I have a Nvidia GTX 480 :twisted: and can play at max settings at 2048x1152. The down side Is now I have no $$$ and can't afford TrackIR or rudder pedals.

@s8n666 you made a great target ;)
S!

a GTX 480? Wow, nice! A just have a 275, but ROF runs quiet well. And I have the TrackIR which is awesome. I don't want to miss it. Save your money and get it!
And sorry for spawning into your plane ;)
Could you start afterward?

#34 RED_404

RED_404

Posted 19 May 2010 - 13:53

a GTX 480? Wow, nice! A just have a 275, but it runs quiet well. And I have the TrackIR which is awesome. I don't want to miss it. Save your money and get it!
And sorry for spawning into your plane ;)
Could you start afterward?

I didn't even attempt to start it that time but one of the times I had just started down the strip and bam, someone spawned and both of our plains went tumbling and then another spawned about 2ft behind us and had no room to maneuver.

As far as the GTX 480 the sad thing is on some games I'm cpu bottlenecked "BF:BC2" My cpu is a AMD Phenom 9950 BE so thats my next upgrade then TrackIR

#35 Blade79

Blade79

Posted 19 May 2010 - 15:19

As far as the GTX 480 the sad thing is on some games I'm cpu bottlenecked "BF:BC2" My cpu is a AMD Phenom 9950 BE so thats my next upgrade then TrackIR

Battlefield Bad Company 2? I play that too!

#36 catchov

catchov
  • LocationQld, Australia

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:18

Well as you can see I got bashed up pretty badly by a lone D7 in my first venture online :lol: I think he was trying to kill me ! :shock: But at least I got the crate down ! First time, I panicked, screamed like a girl, and spun into the ground :roll:

This is great fun Viks thanks for setting it up !

I'd really like the gauges to disappear though ! Engine management is all on auto anyway

Attached File  RoF - Beat up in MPa.JPG   143.05KB   653 downloads
Attached File  RoF - Beat up in MP.JPG   153.07KB   651 downloads

#37 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:19

I believe you can toggle them on and off, check your controls.

#38 =FB=VikS

=FB=VikS
  • Developer

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:27

This is great fun Viks thanks for setting it up !

Ya welcome! And say thanks to Manni and Vall too - there wouldnt be such a server without their efforts!

I'd really like the gauges to disappear though ! Engine management is all on auto anyway

You can toggle em off/on with ctrl+i

#39 catchov

catchov
  • LocationQld, Australia

Posted 22 May 2010 - 14:39

Thanks also go out to Manni and Vall too for setting this up ;) I've had a lot of fun going down in flaming fuselages :lol: For beginners, there sure are some hotshots :shock:

The good news is it is running really well on my rig. I was pleasantly surprised :) No apparent lag/stutters/warp etc :P

Bad news is I suck badly :oops:

And yeah ctrl+I works if I hold the keys down long enough. I think I was just tapping them.

Thanks again. This is my first experience in MP in any game so to do it in a beautiful sim like RoF in a WW1 setting… well it's hard to beat innit.

#40 =FB=VikS

=FB=VikS
  • Developer

Posted 22 May 2010 - 15:03

Thanks also go out to Manni and Vall too for setting this up ;) I've had a lot of fun going down in flaming fuselages :lol: For beginners, there sure are some hotshots :shock:

The good news is it is running really well on my rig. I was pleasantly surprised :) No apparent lag/stutters/warp etc :P

Bad news is I suck badly :oops:

And yeah ctrl+I works if I hold the keys down long enough. I think I was just tapping them.

Thanks again. This is my first experience in MP in any game so to do it in a beautiful sim like RoF in a WW1 setting… well it's hard to beat innit.

Ya welcome!
PS: one thing - to know how to win - you need to taste how to lose first, nothing happens in one moment ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users