- - - - -

General video discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K

Posted 16 May 2010 - 00:03

UPDATE #2:
Since more videos have been posted in this thread, I decided to change it to a general video discussion thread instead :mrgreen:

~~~~~~

UPDATE:

I finished another Rise of Flight video. This time around, it's quite the opposite of the first one…

It's long way to the top…
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jRuAaby1Dno">

See for yourself. Oh, and sorry about the really, really crappy quality. I recorded the scenes at 15 fps / 1/2 game speed, but for some reason this had a negative effect on the image quality of stuff moving around. As far as I know, there is no real way to fix this besides re-recording the footage. I'm not sure if I will do this, though.

~~~~~~

Original Post:

Not too sure if this is the right forum to post it, but I figured it'd be the best place since it is something I made:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=1RQmTp4HGNw">

It's a short, quasi-promotional video. Actually I wanted to do something different and just do a short video as test or proof-of-concept. Well, as with most of my stuff, it turned out a little bit bigger and more time consuming than I had anticipated. Then again, I am quite happy with the result.

Just hypothetically speaking, does anyone think a video like this could attract more customers to RoF? Any thoughts? Praise? :lol:

(Needless to say, watch it in HD)

#2 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 16 May 2010 - 00:26

Great work here :!:
Just love everything, and the poetic touch is also a wonderful way to hide the awfull reality it was, imho.
Music is according perfectly to this though.
I love the last sentence…"see what they have seen" :D
We just have now to diffuse it on all the channels…

#3 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 16 May 2010 - 00:34

Nice video mate! A really chilled take on what ROF is. Something I can relate to.

Nice angles, I liked the handheld aspect of some of the shots. Personally I was waiting for the combat to begin. It was like the calm before the storm.

But I do think you captured the beauty of ROF cool vid!

#4 Nova...

Nova...

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:05

That was really excellent :!:

Now that I have seen the promo, I look forward to the full length movie ;)

#5 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:08

That was fantastic!
I emailed it to my friends that are still hesitating to buy RoF

Thanks for your work!

In the words of Oliver:
"Please sir, can we have some more"

#6 XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:53

Great work here
Just love everything, and the poetic touch is also a wonderful way to hide the awfull reality it was, imho.

Thank you!
That is exactly what I tried to achieve. At first I thought it was a mistake not to show any footage of battles on the front. But even just implying it works, since we all know at least approximately what reality looked like. Also it is known that many pilots deliberately chose that career path as they hoped they could escape that reality, even if only for a few fleeting moments.

I love the last sentence…"see what they have seen"

Yes! :) I think that's what RoF is all about, because…

Rise of Flight is more than just a game or simulation, it's a time machine.

We just have now to diffuse it on all the channels…

Not sure if it's that good :lol:

Nice video mate! A really chilled take on what ROF is. Something I can relate to.

Thanks!

Nice angles, I liked the handheld aspect of some of the shots. Personally I was waiting for the combat to begin. It was like the calm before the storm.

A real teaser, eh? ;)

But I do think you captured the beauty of ROF cool vid!

Once again, thank you for your kind words! Though it is only a small glimpse of what Rise of Flight has to offer, it was the kind of beauty that everyone could understand that I wanted to capture. Seems it really worked :)

That was really excellent :!:

Now that I have seen the promo, I look forward to the full length movie ;)

Thank you! About the full length movie… I don't know. That would actually require something like… A PLAN! *shudders* :shock:

That was fantastic!

Thank you!

I emailed it to my friends that are still hesitating to buy RoF

Wow, that's great. If even one more pilot joins our ranks, then it's a "Mission Accomplished" in my eyes!

In the words of Oliver:
"Please sir, can we have some more"

That's funny, because my first name is Oliver :mrgreen:
That aside, I'm not sure yet. Though I would like to stick to this particular style for a while (RoF is perfect for capturing and showing all those small precious details), I had actually planned something completely different for my next (RoF!) video. As I like experimenting with different styles, I had hoped to do the absolute opposite of this one, just to show WW I aviation does not necessarily mean it can't be awesome in a 'hip' kind of way. Hip as in "flashy, fast-paced, wild and nonsensical action scenes taking place while rock music is blasting out of the speakers". What? I like to diversify! :lol:

In any case, I am glad you guys like it! When I get around to making another RoF video, I'll make sure to post it here! :)

#7 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:59

Hello Oliver,

I'd like to start making videos.. What program do you use to capture/edit etc? I'd like to know the process you use from start to finish?

Thanks..

#8 Der_Sevtl

Der_Sevtl

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:17

This video is beautiful!
Thanks for making it!

#9 XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:14

Hello Oliver,

I'd like to start making videos.. What program do you use to capture/edit etc? I'd like to know the process you use from start to finish?

Thanks..

The capturing is done with Fraps (3.2.1). You can get Fraps here. Though you don't need to buy it, the unregistered version has a few drawbacks, iirc. It limits how long your recorded scenes can be and also adds a watermark on them. If you plan on using it regularly, 37$ is a good investment. Upgrades will always be free once you register.
The current version has one new feature that is extremely useful. You can pre-cache up to 30 seconds of footage before actually saving it. This means in games without replay and rewind function, you can still make sure you get every great scene.

When I'm done with recording the replays (I *love* the replay feature RoF has) I load up Adobe Premiere (CS4) and import/create all the stuff I need: Titles, music, etc.
Just editing stuff with Premiere is surprisingly simple and you can learn the basics very quickly. The drawback is the price, however… It helps if you know someone who owns this software and lets you work at their machine for a while.
If that's too much, you can always use alternatives - many people even use Windows Movie Maker very efficiently, though I have absolutely no experience using it.

Basic audio/video effects and transitions are included in Premiere. For more advanced effects Adobe After Effects is a really good choice (but also extremely expensive). If you're a student or teacher, you can get huge discount on it, though. Same goes for Premiere.
You can load footage that you edited in Premiere directly into AE and continue working on it there. For example I added the camera shake effect (although it was already shaky enough…) in AE, then rendered it and put it back into the Premiere project.
(Speaking of camera shake - for all those shaky free-cam scenes I took advantage of RoF's F11 perspective. Instead of moving the camera by mouse, I tried TrackIR's mouse emulation. Works wonders here!)

When the sequence is complete, all you have to do is export and render it. The final audiovisual quality of your video and the time needed to render it is largely dependent on this. In this case, it was rendered at 1600x900, 30 fps using the h.264 codec/mp4.

Though I've been doing stuff like this for years, I am still but an amateur, mainly because I rarely have the time to improve my skills. If there's anything you need to know, don't hesitate to ask, though. I'm more than willing to help. :)

This video is beautiful!
Thanks for making it!

Thank you for watching it. :)

#10 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:24

Thanks for that Oliver.. I'll have a play around but I may have to get back to you! ;)

#11 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:29

Oliver is a lot better than XTRMNTR2K… :D
But…why the most difficult/incredible ROF nickname, XTRMNTR2K ? …if you want to reply of course ;)

#12 XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:37

Oliver is a lot better than XTRMNTR2K… :D

It sure is a lot easier to spell, that's true! :mrgreen:

But…why the most difficult/incredible ROF nickname, XTRMNTR2K ? …if you want to reply of course ;)

I've had that nickname since around… '99, I suppose. Back then I was playing Unreal Tournament and in need of a new nickname. And since "Exterminator 2000" was too long, I cut out the vowels. Stupid, but it worked. I've had it for so long, I ultimately decided to stick with it. My ingame name is Freiherr Angrim von Rittershoff, though. It sounds so incredibly corny and cliché for a german WW I pilot, it could be a real name! :lol:

Thanks for that Oliver.. I'll have a play around but I may have to get back to you! ;)

Good luck! I'm looking forward to see your first video. :D

#13 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:46

There is always an explanation hiding behind incredible things!
XTRMNTR2K = exterminator 2000 :lol: good find!

#14 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 16 May 2010 - 17:28

Right first question..

I have all icons off, but when I replay the tracks, it appears with icons on? :?

#15 XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K

Posted 16 May 2010 - 17:37

Right first question..

I have all icons off, but when I replay the tracks, it appears with icons on? :?

Hm… That's weird. Can you hide them when viewing the replay? If they were activated while recording, you can still hide them with the 'i' key. I'm not sure why they are showing up when they were deactivated in the settings. Is this a 1.012 replay? (I suppose, 1.012 shouldn't support earlier versions…)

#16 Oldsimmer

Oldsimmer

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:55

Just wonderful, I do have a thing about music on ROF videos but yours was just right I hate it when someone puts heavy rock on expecting every one to like there taste in music.

Just one comment please can we have more. Thanks.

#17 XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K

Posted 18 May 2010 - 19:43

Uploaded a second video and updated the first post. I'm very sorry about the image quality… But there's not much I can do about it. Explanation is in the first post, too.

Here's the link, anyway:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jRuAaby1Dno">

I know it's quite different from the first one. But if you don't like this one - worry not, for this won't be the last one from me :D

Comments? Ideas? Opinions? As always, I'm striving for improvement. :)

#18 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 18 May 2010 - 21:02

As a fan of AC/DC, i enjoyed the video music of course…a good piece of old hard rock here :D
The video is excellent, specially the slow motions imho.
Camera angles are well found as always, and the crash close to the village is fantastic…
I like the turning camera on a centered point too. Good idea!
A lot of nice skins in there 8-)
Could be a good promo for the Pfalz :lol:
(BTW, this plane is a bit too good everywhere…isn't it? but it's an other topic…)

#19 Nova...

Nova...

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:04

What a great video!

#20 wrong_name_624

wrong_name_624

Posted 19 May 2010 - 16:26

I made a little Clip too. (allready posted in another RoF FRAPS topic)

Hope you like this Clip (recorded with Fraps) I´ve posted at ClipWings.com at:

http://www.clipwings.com/index.php?command=show_video&video_id=902

Have fun and enjoy!

#21 wrong_name_624

wrong_name_624

Posted 19 May 2010 - 16:35

@XTRMNTR2K

Have seen your YouTube Clips a few minutes ago.
Nice Camera work and effects!! Great :!:

#22 XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K

Posted 19 May 2010 - 17:12

As a fan of AC/DC, i enjoyed the video music of course…a good piece of old hard rock here :D

Great :mrgreen:
That's what I like about AC/DC - their music is timeless and will always be. And that's coming from someone who was only born after they have been rocking for quite a while :D

The video is excellent, specially the slow motions imho.

Thanks! I am surprised how good they fit in. To be honest, I was unsure about them at first.

Camera angles are well found as always, and the crash close to the village is fantastic…

A friend of mine basically said that he'd like to watch a full video consisting only of crashes like the one at 0:58… I take it as a good thing.

I like the turning camera on a centered point too. Good idea!

I am glad you like it. I personally think it turned out to be motion sickness-inducing :lol:

A lot of nice skins in there 8-)

Yes, all thanks to this great community. The only skins I made were the Yellow 13 and Yellow Squadron skins for the D.IIIa. I would've liked to have a list of every skin shown and it's creator, but that would've taken more effort on my part… And I'm really just a lazy guy.

Could be a good promo for the Pfalz :lol:
(BTW, this plane is a bit too good everywhere…isn't it? but it's an other topic…)

Actually, I don't think so. Quickly changing directions is a pain because of the abyssmal roll rate, the speed is pretty much sub-par (maybe even a few kph too slow, but I am not sure about that) and the forward view really isn't for everyone. But I think I know what you mean - it seems too easy because it IS missing a spin/stall from pulling too hard. But the best turn rate is achieved just before the plane starts to shake, anyway. I'm amazed how good this can be felt with a Force Feedback joystick. Also note while pulling any harder than that does not induce a stall (which I totally agree that it should have!) it does reduce the speed by ridiculous amounts. From having the most of my RoF experience on this plane I can safely that that whoever pulls the stick back ALL the way when flying a turn really shouldn't be allowed to fly the D.IIIa. You can keep so much airspeed when being gentle on the stick… :)

What a great video!

Thank you, once again, for your kind words!

I made a little Clip too. (allready posted in another RoF FRAPS topic)

Hope you like this Clip (recorded with Fraps) I´ve posted at ClipWings.com at:

http://www.clipwings.com/index.php?command=show_video&video_id=902

Just watched it. Although the overall approach was more or less very conventional, it worked really good. Definately a great RoF video. A pity the image quality isn't better, though.
Oh, and I *love* the music you chose, so I looked for both of the artists on jamendo.com immediately. It's funny how much time I spent there and still did not discover those two great artists.

@XTRMNTR2K

Have seen your YouTube Clips a few minutes ago.
Nice Camera work and effects!! Great :!:

Thank you! I can only return the compliment. Your camera work was absolutely flawless :)

Mh… This got me thinking. If there are going to be more RoF videos floating around here, it might be best to have all of them in one thread or sticky. And besides that, I know there are some amazing videos on youtube that haven't been posted yet (I think). One definately worth watching is Target Fixation by ThreeNineLine. Easily one of the best I've seen.

#23 wrong_name_624

wrong_name_624

Posted 20 May 2010 - 21:09

Thanks for compliments too :)

I´ll upload a new (full) version in higher resolution on YouTube soon.
I´m using Cyberlink Power Director to edit my movies by the way.

#24 XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:55

I´ll upload a new (full) version in higher resolution on YouTube soon.

That's good to hear!

BTW, could any mod please move this thread to the appropriate forum? :)

#25 wrong_name_624

wrong_name_624

Posted 22 May 2010 - 16:13

Here´s the "Revenge" reload in higher resolution and
even better sound quality (224 KBit/s)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=cZn6ODLcjiA">

Volume up and Enjoy :D

#26 XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K

Posted 22 May 2010 - 19:38

Here´s the "Revenge" reload in higher resolution and
even better sound quality (224 KBit/s)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=cZn6ODLcjiA">

Volume up and Enjoy :D

It's great. I have to admit, after watching it for a second time, I like it even more.

Especially what you did with the sound and speed, going into slow motion and fading out the ingame sound when it gets dramatic. The scene at the end, where both pilots look at each other, is also priceless! :mrgreen:

Very well done!

#27 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 23 May 2010 - 17:58

Right,

Finally managed a video.. Just experimenting really, trying to get the hang of the video editing.. It's only short.. Don't be too harsh..It's not meant to be a film or anything.. Just working out how it all goes together..

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=x-qruMS4wq8">

#28 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 23 May 2010 - 18:08

Wow, what a furball! :shock:

Some stuff:

What programs are you using?

For some reason, time seems to have been decelerated somewhat in the video, with a bit of ghosting as well. Is this some sort of result of a frame rate limiter, or perhaps an intentional effect?

I saw you cutting to a shot and 1 second later cutting to another one: it's always worth doublechecking your videos to make sure things like that don't slip through.

HDR looks great from the cockpit, also in videos. But using it in combination with external views is a HORRIBLE idea. So horrible that if you don't want to turn it off altogether, you should perhaps record external shots in a seperate session with HDR off.

Still, it's looking great and I hope to see a lot more vids from you!

#29 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 23 May 2010 - 18:40

Hi Jorri,

Using Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 9.0 - free trial (2 weeks left :? ) and free Fraps..So quite limiting.. To be honest I don't really know what I'm
doing yet.. It all seems quite confusing.. I take your point on HDR though - Will persevere… It's a surprising amount of work for a short video.. I'll look at others with more respect now! :roll:

#30 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 23 May 2010 - 18:44

It is, and the results can be amazing! :D

#31 XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K

Posted 23 May 2010 - 20:52

Right,

Finally managed a video.. Just experimenting really, trying to get the hang of the video editing.. It's only short.. Don't be too harsh..It's not meant to be a film or anything.. Just working out how it all goes together..

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=x-qruMS4wq8">

I think it's great for what it is. Short clips like these are great to experiment, spot possible technical issues and, most of all, gain experience. The image quality is also pretty good.
One thing, though: The HDR-induced high contrast makes an additive blend transition look weird (it's too bright). I'd suggest using a cross-blend effect instead.

My suggestion is to keep doing short clips like this one for the next few days. At the end of the trial period, you'll have learned quite a bit and can decide if you want to go for the full version or look for an alternative. :)

EDIT:
Changed the topic name to "general video discussion thread". :D

#32 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 26 May 2010 - 18:01

Here's my contribution: made a video of flights we had wth our squadron :) .

Waltz of the Hellequins

Hope you enjoy it :P let me know what you think!

#33 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 26 May 2010 - 18:10

Brilliant Jorri!

Love the choice of music and some intresting camera angels there. Shows off your skins nicely too.

Kudos

S!

#34 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 26 May 2010 - 18:31

Yay :D I am the D.VII keeping a respectful distance in the last scene :roll:

#35 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 26 May 2010 - 19:21

let me know what you think!

I think this video needs a larger audience Jorri, wonderful thanks!

http://simhq.com/for...tml#Post3019356">http://simhq.com/for...bbthreads.php/t … ost3019356

Ming

#36 wrong_name_624

wrong_name_624

Posted 26 May 2010 - 20:17

Waltz of the Hellequins

Very nice clip with great captured scenes and the music fits too!
Would be glad to fly online some day. I never had the chance yet.

#37 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 26 May 2010 - 20:46

That's ridiculously good Jorri… :shock: Makes mine look pants.. :(

#38 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 26 May 2010 - 21:04

Thanks everyone!

Thank you too Ming, it's great to see the reactions on Simhq - appreciate it! Let's hope it serves as a bit of advertisement for ROF.

#39 XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K

Posted 26 May 2010 - 21:05

Waltz of the Hellequins

Simply awesome. You really seem like fun people to fly with! :D

Not much else to say - good work in all areas. And the music was a great and very much fitting choice.

Good idea posting it on simhq, btw.

#40 catchov

catchov

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:17

Thanks everyone!

That's great Jorri :) Nice editing. I even felt sorry for the D7 with the dud engine getting hammered by the Se5a at the end :oops: Nah, not really :twisted:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users