#1 =FB=Vaal

=FB=Vaal
  • Developer

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:42

WIKI Recommended limits for a mission

#2 MattM

MattM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 21:18

# if the count of aircraft on the airfield indefinitely - restriction on the number of participants 16-20
# if the count of aircraft on the airfield is limited - the restriction on the number of participants to 40
I've a question regarding this recommendation.

If i understand this correctly, if the planes are set to unlimited, the maximum number of people on the server should not be more then 20. If the planes are limited, the limit of the people on the server should be set to 40.

This seems extremely strange to me. Say you make 4 airfields, each has about 15 aircraft and they don't respawn (unlikely situation imo), then 40 people are fine. But if you have 2 airfields with unlimited aircraft, only 20 people are OK? In the first situation, there would up to 40 planes in the air at the same time, how come this works better then say 25 people with unlimited planes at the same time?

Not sure if this has been asked already, but i don't get it. If anything, the number of planes in the air (which usually equals the total number of players on the server) should be limited, what does the respawn of the planes have to do with it?

Also what happens if only one type per side (or one plane type total) is unlimited? Does this then restrict the server to 20 people max?

Would be great if someone could explain this to me. Maybe it's the heat, but i just don't understand the logic behind this recommendation at all.

#3 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 10 July 2010 - 21:27

I don't understand this

no more than 12 zones, no more than 10 points a break boundaries between zones

#4 Vati

Vati

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:43

if more than 8 types of aircraft - in the server settings to disable skins
I do not understand the logic behind this.

#5 Han

Han
  • Developer

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:04

if more than 8 types of aircraft - in the server settings to disable skins
I do not understand the logic behind this.

Plane type limit caused by memory usage.
Plane total quantity limit caused by bones buffer limit.
All is simple.

Skin changing restrict allow to save some memory for more plane models.

#6 Vati

Vati

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:37

Skin changing restrict allow to save some memory for more plane models.
That is fine. However lets say 1 plane type and we have 30 players on server. If skins are ON, every player chooses own skin which means there is greater memory consumption than having all ROF planes with skins OFF.

So stating recommendations as:
- no more than 8 types of aircraft
- if more than 8 types of aircraft - in the server settings to disable skins

..is misleading and can also lead to client's instability if followed. It is crucial to add player limit to that statements to have any meaning.

(I would do skin handling completely different than ROF has, but that is not an option currently, I know)

#7 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:27

Does locking skins make such a big difference? It's a shame that now that we have all our personal skins approved we can't use them due to memory problems :( That's what I don't like about Syndicate for instance.

#8 SYN_Jedders

SYN_Jedders

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:05

Thats what i dont like about you, for instance….skins have been on on SYNDICATE server for ages :)

#9 SYN_Jedders

SYN_Jedders

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:19

btw Im only pulling your leg…you know that, right?…..S!

#10 MattM

MattM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 18:36

Well i think you did lock skins for a short period and reduced player limit on your server afterwards and now people can still can use skins on your server.

But Reflected is right, that we couldn't use our own skins a week ago or so. :)

@Han: Could you answer my question aswell please? Thank you. Or incase you don't know any answer for that either, better get rid of that rule :D.

#11 SYN_Jedders

SYN_Jedders

Posted 18 July 2010 - 17:55

Actually Matt, He made a criticism of our server based on innacurate information….so im not sure he IS right :P

We are trying a few combinations to see what if anything creates lags. Seems we can keep skins on if we keep the numbers down so I gues we will stick with that. Im like Reflected and many others in that I wanna use the skins ppl have created so brilliantly.

#12 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 18 July 2010 - 18:35

I remember the old days on uk ded 2 (3 had not been around back then) where almost everyone was flying around with their own skins. The best skin imo was a B239 that looked like a cow :D I bet many of you remember that time Jedders :)

#13 SYN_Jedders

SYN_Jedders

Posted 19 July 2010 - 00:00

Yeh, thankfully the community poilce the skins here. I remember quite a few bright pink yaks and such.

#14 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 01 January 2011 - 14:52

Are these limits current since the 1.016b hotfix which reduced the number of crashes?

#15 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 07 January 2011 - 23:57

Hello?

#16 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 08 January 2011 - 00:03

Yes, they are still valid. 1.016b fixed the crashes, but if you put too many AI objects in the mission there may be lag as the Server simply can't keep up. It depends though, Squirrel found out that you can use lots more AI single seaters (up to 16) than two-seaters.

I try to use these rules:

Not more than 40-50 vehicles should be simultaneously in action (more AI planes -> less vehicles)
Not more than 4 AI planes should be simultaneously in action in combination with bombers
Not more than 12 buildings with an entity
Not more than 35 block types at total in 5km radius
Not more than two Influence Areas with no more that 12-15 points in each

Note that it isn't necessary to place vehicles inside buildings to get points.
The scoring in RoF has been adapted since 1.016b to:
Factory - 1500
Airfield - 1000
Bridge - 500
Other - 250

See: http://sites.google....sions/directory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sites.google....sions/directory

#17 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:37

Ah, thanks. What about player aircraft? Still just eight in a mission, or is it okay to have maybe sixteen aircraft types in a dogfight mission which will have no more than eight players flying at once?

#18 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:18

Ah, thanks. What about player aircraft? Still just eight in a mission, or is it okay to have maybe sixteen aircraft types in a dogfight mission which will have no more than eight players flying at once?

In my experience up to 16 AI fighters can be active simultaneously, yes.
Yesterday's VM mission had 6 AI-2 seaters and 2 AI fighters at the same time. No problem whatsoever. Next time, I'll throw in a couple more! :)

#19 NakedSquirrel

NakedSquirrel
  • Tester

Posted 17 January 2011 - 15:56

if the count of aircraft on the airfield indefinitely - restriction on the number of participants 16-20
if the count of aircraft on the airfield is limited - the restriction on the number of participants to 40

This does not make sense to me. Does 99 available aircraft cause less error than Unlimited? What do we need to know about airplane limits? What causes trouble for the server?

Note that it isn't necessary to place vehicles inside buildings to get points.
The scoring in RoF has been adapted since 1.016b to:
Factory - 1500
Airfield - 1000
Bridge - 500
Other - 250

See: http://sites.google....sions/directory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sites.google....sions/directory

When did this change? I tested it shortly after 1.016b and found all buildings are worth 50 points each. I think bridges are worth 100 or 75 on full real settings (No helpers). It was an improvement because before they were worth 0 points. Placing tents underneath buildings allows you to raise the point value of a factory/train station/hangar/ect. There is no reason to put vehicles in buildings anymore.

Linked entity buildings do not seem to cause any problems. I don't think they are limited, although I would avoid putting an excess of airfields on a map 8+. The only thing that buildings seem to cause is longer load times. So cutting back on the number of objects will reduce load times significantly.

Vehicles definitely have an impact after 50

2 seater AI cause significant SPS loss and should be used sparingly, although single seaters can be used with far less performance loss.

I haven't noticed any problems with balloons, but then again, I've never seen a need to have over 12 on a map. (Although I have seen maps with more than 12)

#20 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 17 January 2011 - 19:40

In my experience up to 16 AI fighters can be active simultaneously, yes.

I mean in dogfight missions. In missions where no A.I. is present, is it okay to allow sixteen aircraft types? Like, the official recommended limits say only eight types of player-controlled aircraft in total, but I'm seeing quite a few missions with more than that, and I'm wondering if it's "safe" to do so. I would really like to have a duel mission with all scouts available to choose from, on each base. So that players can take up early-war scouts against late-war scouts, if they so choose. This would be roughly 20 aircraft types in total, but 0 A.I. in the mission and no more than 8 players flying at once at any point.

#21 Catfish

Catfish

Posted 14 March 2012 - 20:00

deleted

#22 312_stryceKFido

312_stryceKFido

Posted 07 August 2012 - 17:53

hi, what are current limits?

i found some in this thread, but those are 10 patches old, are those still valid, or can we use little bit more? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users