Photo
- - - - -

CH VS SAITEK

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 dro_hydro

dro_hydro

Posted 08 May 2010 - 15:23

Trying to decide on a throttle quadrant. What do you guys think ? What do you have?

#2 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 08 May 2010 - 16:30

I dont own a throttle quatrant. However I do own both Saitek and CH products. CH seems to be built more rugged. I am a fan of both companies though so good luck.

#3 DangerousBeans

DangerousBeans

Posted 08 May 2010 - 20:31

I used to have a CH Yoke, total rubbish, I wont be buying anything else from them any time soon.

I now have a full set of Saitek kit that I use for FSX, Yoke, extra quad, pedals and X52 pro stick. Very sturdy kit, works flawlessly.
The throttle quads are very nice as they have a very long throw that makes fine adjustments very easy.

#4 Pimpin

Pimpin

Posted 08 May 2010 - 22:19

I have a CH fighterstick,CH pedals,and also have a Saitek throttle quadrant.the quadrant is very good for RoF,with throttle,radiator and mixture/hohengas on the levers for me.Compared to my CH gear,the Saitek quad feels a bit flimsy,but mine has worked flawlessly for 2 years,and for the price is very good value.

#5 Murf

Murf

Posted 08 May 2010 - 23:47

I used to have a CH Yoke, total rubbish, I wont be buying anything else from them any time soon.

I now have a full set of Saitek kit that I use for FSX, Yoke, extra quad, pedals and X52 pro stick. Very sturdy kit, works flawlessly.
The throttle quads are very nice as they have a very long throw that makes fine adjustments very easy.

I have to agree!!!

The CH product I tested out was made of cheap plastic…. and seemed like cheaply assembled as well!! I also have the full Saitek FCS setup and think it is VERY good!!
I use the throttle quadrent and rudder pedals in RoF… not the yoke though. I also have the Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS setup … of which I think is absolutely the BEST system out there… but I presently do not have it set up for RoF… YET!!! :D

#6 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:05

Yes, CH is molded plastic, but it's not anywhere close to cheap junk. It's the same stuff used in all those polymer framed auto pistols these days. If a Glock can take 100,000 rounds of +P then I doubt you'll break it playing a flight sim.

Also, CH has a proven reputation for durability and precision. Both the Saitek products I had lost a degree of their precision after less than 40 hours of use. The CH definitely DO have light springs, but when you want the finer control, I find the light springs can be used for hours without fatigue.

The only drawback to the CH stuff (not that it's relevant to the OP) is that they don't have a twist stick thus necessitates the purchase of some rudder pedals. To me, that's not a bad thing, but the cost could be a turnoff to some on a tighter budget.

#7 SC/JG_Oesau

SC/JG_Oesau

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:04

CH Fighter stick (yes, the springs are on the light side but it's a good stick) and throttle pro. Both are really good sticks and you get the ability to use the HOTAS with other flight sims.

Software with CH is IMHO better than the Saitek software used for programming.

I do however use Saitek rudder pedals as the friction is higher than the CH though still not what I would really like to have but i.e. more resistance and centering such as it would be with airflow over the rudder.

#8 Murf

Murf

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:06

Yes, CH is molded plastic, but it's not anywhere close to cheap junk. It's the same stuff used in all those polymer framed auto pistols these days. If a Glock can take 100,000 rounds of +P then I doubt you'll break it playing a flight sim.

Also, CH has a proven reputation for durability and precision. Both the Saitek products I had lost a degree of their precision after less than 40 hours of use. The CH definitely DO have light springs, but when you want the finer control, I find the light springs can be used for hours without fatigue.

The only drawback to the CH stuff (not that it's relevant to the OP) is that they don't have a twist stick thus necessitates the purchase of some rudder pedals. To me, that's not a bad thing, but the cost could be a turnoff to some on a tighter budget.

Don't get me wrong TB…. I'm not criticizing ANYBODYS choice for getting a CH product… I'm sure they DO make some good items. I was just not impressed with the ones I tested!! :(

I admit, I haven't tried their joysticks… I tested out their Flight sim yoke and rudders. The yoke system was NOT well put together… was NOT very precise with movement, and looked cheap (and it was NOT cheap in cost)… I was NOT impressed!!! I didn't actually find anything "wrong" with the rudders… they worked fine, though again they didn't seem to have good precise movement, and seemed light on the friction adjusment… but those are just personal feel… but for the cost they "looked" cheap. Again… I wasn't impressed. And because of these I will likely not buy a CH product.

As far as the software between the two, I can't comment on as I didn't utilize them, because they always confuse the begezes out of me!! :lol:

Again, I am NOT criticizing ANYBODYS decision or opinion about getting a CH product…
I was just not impressed with what I tested, which in turn left me not wanting any of their other products. ;)

#9 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 14 May 2010 - 13:09

Haven't used the yoke, but I have the fighter stick plus pro throttle modded to the FrankenPotato model and couldn't be happier.

I use the rollers on the throttle for radiator and altitude throttle, and mixture on the slider on fighterstick.

#10 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 14 May 2010 - 13:26

I have a saitek and I love it! I've never tried a ch tho.

#11 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:35

Saitek stick and pedals here.
Have to say the cyborg evo stick is very cheap material :evil:
I broke the trigger just firing with it (normal use!) and now it's working with rubber and adhesive tape to not loose it on my desk :lol:
I'll have to think to change it one of these days… :D

#12 Murf

Murf

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:22

Saitek stick and pedals here.
Have to say the cyborg evo stick is very cheap material :evil:
I broke the trigger just firing with it (normal use!) and now it's working with rubber and adhesive tape to not loose it on my desk :lol:
I'll have to think to change it one of these days… :D

Hmmmmmm… you don't know your own strength…. I think you were having an adrenalin rush in the midst of combat and got over excited!!! Remember… slow breaths and squeeze the trigger sllooooowwwwwly!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have had my Cyborg evo for 4 years and never had one problem with it…. ;)

#13 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 17 May 2010 - 13:07

Haven't used the yoke, but I have the fighter stick plus pro throttle modded to the FrankenPotato model and couldn't be happier.

I use the rollers on the throttle for radiator and altitude throttle, and mixture on the slider on fighterstick.

I have the same mod Taipan, but mine is, to date, the ONLY one that is also modified for left-handed use.

Overlook the dust…

#14 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:41

Wow backwards :)

Should get him to modify your fighterstick as well, unless those come in a left-handed configuration

#15 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 20 May 2010 - 00:40

You mean like this?

#16 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:46

Dust that thing off TX, damn. That texas BBQ smoke must be all permiated in that thing.

#17 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:43

lol, the dust is an indication of how long these things last!

#18 SYN_Ricky

SYN_Ricky

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:54

I owned a Saitek X-45, I really liked it at the time, but after 1 1/2 year the throttle and rotaries on the throttle started to go totally out of calibration.

Bought a CH Fighterstick at really good price from someone on the net, best stick I've ever had, the light spring really helps in flying and shooting precisely, and and I have enough buttons to fly Il-2 or ROF without needing a throttle beside it.

Now, money permitting, I might buy the Pro Throttle one day.

#19 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:36

Over 6 years on this custom set and counting.

I have it upstairs and dusting off anything around my cockpit is a pain in the ass…so I don't. My wife gets tired of it though and dusts off everything a couple times a year. :P

The only thing I really tend to regularly is the monitor. Nothing worse than chasing across the map to realize it was just a dust speck or marlboro ash on the screen. :o

#20 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 20 May 2010 - 13:21

The only thing I really tend to regularly is the monitor. Nothing worse than chasing across the map to realize it was just a dust speck or marlboro ash on the screen. :o

Yeah that happens to me too often, especially in ground attack sims like flaming cliffs 2, looking for those little spec targets can be hard.

#21 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 20 May 2010 - 15:41

I hate having a gnat crawling across my screen and it looks like a plane but you never ever close on it.

BTW working on 2yrs on my CH stuff. I dont have a throttle I use an X45. TX how does that throttle feel? I know it has a sliding movment rather than an arc was it difficult to get used to?

#22 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 20 May 2010 - 16:31

I like it really well. There are a few reasons for it, not the least of which is its full compatibility with the CH Cm software. I had an X36 and an X45 in my house at different points in time and I always did like the Saitek throttles (mostly because they were cheap and had a couple rotaries). I had my share of problems with them like the plastic getting a bit galled at the contact points and causing it to lose precision, sticky and malfunctioning buttons just to name a couple I can remember.

But, now that I've had my CH Pro Throttle modified with additional momentary switches and rotaries which are industrial grade and made of steel and are also many times more precise than any others I've tried…including my Thrustmaster Cougar, it's the best throttle controller I've ever used and, I dare say, probably the most perfect one available at present.

#23 MattM

MattM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 16:39

I have the Saitek Throttle Quadrant.

I think it's great for ROF because of the three axis, like it was made for ROF. :D

However, after 5 months of use (definately not 24/7, more like 4/3), i do get a few spikes in two of the levers. So the potentiometers must be of cheap quality.

I can't tell if the CH Quadrant has this problem also, but from what i've heard their quality is just quite a bit superior. Still i don't like the CH Throttle Quadrant, just too big, too many levers for a sim like ROF. I wish they would make a smaller TC also.

#24 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 20 May 2010 - 18:29

The stock rotaries on the CH throttle, how were they? OR does it not have rotaries stock? I thought I saw rotary switches.

#25 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:14

The CH Pro Throttle has NO stock rotaries. Thus the Franken-Potato mod. Basically this mod morphs the Pro Throttle and the Throttle Quadrant together into one controller. Two of the Axes from the TQ are represented by the new rotaries added to the PT and the momentary switches from the TQ are added to the front base of the PT. In the CM software, the controls are recognized as TQ and PT separately making programming a piece of cake.

#26 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:38

Wow, may I ask what a mod like that costs? I am assuming minus the cost of buying both of the quadrant and the throttle.

#27 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:05

$200 us dollars but that included the quadrant.

Note u also have a rotary on the joystick already.

I have mixture radiator altitude throttle setup.

#28 Murf

Murf

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:06

Geeeeze… I miss the SunCom HOTAS setup!!! :o

#29 ATAG_Bliss

ATAG_Bliss

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:34

I have to admit I'm a CH fanboy as well. I have the FS, PT, PP, and TQ. The first time you install an Operating system is the only and I mean, only time you ever need calibrate them. They are that precise and they never miss a beat. I bet CH is kicking themselves in the butt as there are still people using the same CH products for 15 years connected via a gameport (do you remember a gameport connector lol?) to usb adapter lol. That's how amazing their products are. What many people don't realize about CH is they make joysticks for industrial earth moving equipment amongst other things. These same pots and switches developed and engineered to last forever in a dirty construction site are the same exact technology put into all their devices on the flight sim side as well. Heck they make controllers for the US military's own flight simulation devices. I don't know how much more I could say about quality of CH other than it's bar-none above any other company that sells a HOTAS. (Honestly they are not even on the same page IMO) And to top all of that off, just look at their forums. Their customer service is some of the best I've ever seen for any type of product on the market. You have a question, a script, a programming idea you want for a game, not only will Mr. Bob Church answer you within a few hours, he'll usually make it for ya. Your joystick having an unusual problem (highly unlikely), Debby will get all the RMA info to you within hours.. All via a forum.

To me, you honestly can't ask for anything better than that.

Just check out that A-10 HOTAS for the US military. What I wouldn't give to have that at home :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#30 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:45

Oh my, I felt something move…

#31 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 04 June 2010 - 14:14

Oh my, I felt something move…

Not your bowels I hope. :?

#32 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 04 June 2010 - 19:32

I am not that old yet :D. That setup looks bad ass. it reminds me of the multi thousand dollar tank sim controller you can buy. See if I can find a pic of it.

#33 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 04 June 2010 - 19:47

I've had my CH stick for 13 years now (also have their pedals I purchased more recently). If it ever wears out or breaks, I would never buy anything else.

#34 Flashy

Flashy
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 05 June 2010 - 16:13

Does anyone have any experience with both the CH and Saitek rudder pedals? Which are better? The Saiteks look better from the picture (seem to have more travel, bigger, etc) but I was just wondering if anyone here had tried both and could help me decide which ones to buy?

Also, if I cant get a Sidewinder 2, is the Evo force feedback the next best FF option? I know its nowhere near as good, but is it at least decent? Here in SA the Saitek EVO FF, CH fighterstick and Thrustmaster 160000M all cost about the same amount, so I am not sure which to get. Is the CH fighterstick as accurate as the Thrustmaster? Is the Thrustmaster going to fall apart in 1 month?

help! :P

Just because I can give multiple orgasms to the furniture just by sitting on it, doesn't mean that I'm not sick of this damn war: the blood, the noise, the endless poetry...

#35 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 05 June 2010 - 17:22

I have the CH pedals. They are wide about 3"+ on the pedal width. They are very sturdy built and heavy. I have no personal experience with the saitek pedals. I have saitek joysticks and if it is like them they look great but the plastic is usually thin.

#36 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 05 June 2010 - 20:27

Does anyone have any experience with both the CH and Saitek rudder pedals? Which are better? The Saiteks look better from the picture (seem to have more travel, bigger, etc) but I was just wondering if anyone here had tried both and could help me decide which ones to buy?

Also, if I cant get a Sidewinder 2, is the Evo force feedback the next best FF option? I know its nowhere near as good, but is it at least decent? Here in SA the Saitek EVO FF, CH fighterstick and Thrustmaster 160000M all cost about the same amount, so I am not sure which to get. Is the CH fighterstick as accurate as the Thrustmaster? Is the Thrustmaster going to fall apart in 1 month?

help! :P

1. I've used both and you can't go wrong with either set. I use CH. I do that for a few reasons. I trust them more (durability has long been an issue with Saitek gear as well as precision) and the real question should be is the Thrustmaster as precise as the CH? I've never used the 160000M, but I find it hard to picture anything as precise as CH.

2. I think the next best option in FFB would be the Logitech G940.

3. If the Fighterstick is the same price as those other sticks, you'd be crazy not to get the Fighterstick…IMO. Sure you'll need to get some pedals too as it's not a twisty stick, but from the sound of it, you were planning on doing that anyway.

#37 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:24

I've had and used both CH's and Saitek's pedals. For me the CH pedals are better, because they don't feel spongy and are more comfortable on my feet.

#38 4S_Nero

4S_Nero

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:55

I use CH Fightersick, Pro throttle and Simped rudder pedals. I've had and used CH's, Saitek's pedals and i can tell Simped is the best. Stay away from G940 please.

The T16000 is very very good. Very precise and only negative point is the springcoil too strong.

#39 wrong_name_403

wrong_name_403

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:31

After around 3 years of extremely heavy use with il2 my CH Fighterstick, pro pedals and pro throttle were starting to show signs of wear. So I sent them all in for a tune up. Something like 15=20 bucks each and $30 ups shipping and I have brand new setup again.

I am a lousy shot by nature so I mostly miss…Like 25 hits out of 500 shots, but that is not the CH fault..

I am pleased with the CH setup.

#40 ArcticWolf

ArcticWolf

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:29

I own the CH Fighterstick/throttle and ball buster pedals for the last 4-5 years with no complaints.

I've tried Saitek joysticks and hated them…..hated the feel and just felt too spongy for my liking.

Sorry but I think CH wins hands down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users