- - - - -

Quad Core and mobo...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Murf

Murf

Posted 07 May 2010 - 02:34

Here is a funny….

I have been shopping around for a 6 core CPU…. My new bride knew I had been shopping for a new CPU… just not what kind…

I went home for a few minutes tonight to get my dinner, and on the table sits a new CPU!!! Unfortunately though it was not a 6 core as I have been shopping for… it was however an AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition!!! :D

NOW…. I could use a little help and/or suggestions for a motherboard for it as I don't have too much time at the moment to do much research…

I would GREATLY appreciate it as many of you have MUCH more knowlage in this area than I do!!

Thanks in advance!!!

#2 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:14

Congratulations on your marriage. About the CPU, I'd PM JayDolan because he has the same CPU and is a mine of helpful information.

#3 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:21

Here is a funny….

I have been shopping around for a 6 core CPU…. My new bride knew I had been shopping for a new CPU… just not what kind…

I went home for a few minutes tonight to get my dinner, and on the table sits a new CPU!!! Unfortunately though it was not a 6 core as I have been shopping for… it was however an AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition!!! :D

NOW…. I could use a little help and/or suggestions for a motherboard for it as I don't have too much time at the moment to do much research…

I would GREATLY appreciate it as many of you have MUCH more knowledge in this area than I do!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Oops!!!! Always buy a CPU before going to a bar :lol:

So you will need a AM3/DDR3 Mobo I suppose, because this 965 can even run on a old AM2 or AM2+ mobo. Then it is important to ask your self some questions:
Do you want to overclock or are you going to run always on stock settings
Do you want to run a on multiple Videocard setup, only Nvidia, only ATI or both brands on this mobo!!! I think RoF does not run decent on a internal Videocard so this is not needed here
Your budget.
What mobo size, some PC casings are very small sized and can only use mATX mobo.
Your future setup, SATA3, USB3, prepared for 6core or for big 140Watt CPU's. Your 965 could be a 140Watt or a 125Watt Cpu check this BTW

edit: if your made your choice always confirm on the mobo manufacturers site if your mobo can handle this CPU, you never know!!!
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#4 Chaos

Chaos

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:35

Here is a funny….

I would GREATLY appreciate it as many of you have MUCH more knowlage in this area than I do!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Depends on how much you intend on spending. If your system is purly for gaming then you want to be more conserned with the GPU/s you put in it, if its going to have 2 then you need a good crossfire board *less you go the green way*.

NV just released the fastest S-GPU solution but IMO it's not worth the power/heat/expence.

Single/Dual ATI 5xxx combo is the way to go for now. But it's not going to help explaining anything to you unless you provide more details about your setup. Be as detailed as possible.

#5 Chaos

Chaos

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:41

Here is a funny….

I would GREATLY appreciate it as many of you have MUCH more knowledge in this area than I do!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Oops!!!! Always buy a CPU before going to a bar :lol:

So you will need a AM3/DDR3 Mobo I suppose, because this 965 can even run on a old AM2 or AM2+ mobo. Then it is important to ask your self some questions:
Do you want to overclock or are you going to run always on stock settings
Do you want to run a on multiple Videocard setup, only Nvidia, only ATI or both brands on this mobo!!! I think RoF does not run decent on a internal Videocard so this is not needed here
Your budget.
What mobo size, some PC casings are very small sized and can only use mATX mobo.
Your future setup, SATA3, USB3, prepared for 6core or for big 140Watt CPU's. Your 965 could be a 140Watt or a 125Watt Cpu check this BTW

edit: if your made your choice always confirm on the mobo manufacturers site if your mobo can handle this CPU, you never know!!!

The most important question is screen size, Single Screen config, or Tri/Sexigonal

#6 Murf

Murf

Posted 08 May 2010 - 15:37

Thanks W1ndy!! :D

Good point… I wasn't awfully specific was I…. kind of typing between "brush fires" at work (I work in Flight Control for an Airline :lol: )…

Yes, I need a DDR3 board…. at THIS point not putting a dual vid card setup in it, but may in the future. Being 6x capable would be awfully nice, but not entirely critical. Yes, I want to be able to OC it. It NEEDS to be an ATX form factor board, and the CPU she got me IS a 140w 965.

Budget isn't really an issue… but, I don't want to do more than $200 for a board!!

The vid card I am going to put in it is my nVidia GeForce XLR8 Performance Edition GTS250 with 1024MB (will likely get another one to put in too). Right now I only have a single monitor, but I am definitely going to get a dual 22 inch's set up by years end!! ;)

Well time to put out another fire!!!

#7 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 10 May 2010 - 20:27

I think your wife's pretty switched on to buy a 965 BE. For o/c it's very good apparently. We don't know much about the 6 cores yet. Apparently the 965 can get to 4Ghz just using the multiplier. Again, Jay knows this stuff upside down and back to front.

I want to get the same cpu to graduate from my 945 and will need to do the same hunt for a mobo so I'm interested.

Compatability with 6 core so later you can swap it out and not tell :lol:

!

Yes, 140W/125W is crucial of course.
Dutch, is there an issue with USB3 ? I thought it was all compatible with each other. How about Sata3 - should be backward compatible ?

Asus Crosshair mobos seem like a lot of fun, but pricey.

The shop I shop at has a combo list for the 965 if you really want I can post it or the link but you probably have one of those.

#8 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 11 May 2010 - 15:02

I think your wife's pretty switched on to buy a 965 BE. For o/c it's very good apparently. We don't know much about the 6 cores yet. Apparently the 965 can get to 4Ghz just using the multiplier. Again, Jay knows this stuff upside down and back to front.

I want to get the same cpu to graduate from my 945 and will need to do the same hunt for a mobo so I'm interested.

Compatability with 6 core so later you can swap it out and not tell :lol:

!

Yes, 140W/125W is crucial of course.
Dutch, is there an issue with USB3 ? I thought it was all compatible with each other. How about Sata3 - should be backward compatible ?
Yep it is backward compatible but your ready for the future, which will be USB3 and Solidstatedisk, with negligible extra cost!! Try Google for more info about this!!!!
http://www.tomshardw...a-6gb,2583.html">http://www.tomshardw...com/reviews/usb … ,2583.html
http://www.tomshardw...guide,2546.html">http://www.tomshardw...com/reviews/bes … ,2546.html
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#9 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 11 May 2010 - 15:28

Hey dude,

Sorry I didn't get back to your PM. My exact system specs are in my signature. I am very pleased with the motherboard and RAM I ended up with, although it would be nice if the board had one or two more fan connectors. Other than that, the overclocking facilities built into the BIOS are fantastic, and the board has been very stable.

Spend the money on top-notch RAM. I had 2 different sets of OCZ Gold DDR3 which were either faulty or just incompatible with this particular motherboard. memtest86+ confirmed it very quickly for me. But the Corsair Dominator I ended up with after a few trips back to my hardware vendor has been phenomenal. I would recommend short-cutting my mistakes and just going with the more expensive stuff on the first round.

Other than that, you will want a big old case and CPU cooler if you want to get 4.0GHz out of that chip – which is completely attainable by the way. Here's mine:

When you go to overclock it (just assuming that you will), spend some time getting your CPU Northbridge and Hyper-Transport link above their stock speeds as well. Simply pushing the CPU core to 4.0GHz will of course give you a performance bump, but to really utilize that core speed, you need to get data and instructions into and out of the CPU faster. This is where the CPU-NB and HT link come into play. I was able to raise mine both from 2.0GHz to 2.6GHz, a nice 30% gain.

To that point, one thing I really like about this board is that it gives you control over the CPU core, CPU-NB and HT link multipliers – they are each independent. Not all boards offer this. Many of them lock the CPU-NB and HT link multipliers at 10x the reference clock, which means the only way to overclock those components is to raise the reference clock. And of course, once you start doing that, you have to start messing with your RAM timings, and you'll never reach the full potential of all of the system's components.

The separate mutable multipliers for each component allows you to overclock them independently without messing with the reference clock. For me, this means my RAM and PCI(e) bus are running at their recommended factory settings, which helps keep the system stable. It also allowed me to tune the CPU core, CPU-NB, and HT link in isolation to find their maximum respective frequencies. Good stuff.

Hope this helps,

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#10 Murf

Murf

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:14

Thanks W1indy and Dutch!!!

No worries Jay!!!

As it turns out I ended up "lending" the AMD to a friend of mine at work, because as a wedding present I ended up getting an Intel i5 Quad Core and ASUS MB from my parents (they gave my wife a make up suite :lol: )… and my friend already had an MB for it, but just had not gotten a CPU yet…. So I will give the i5 a try.

I don't remember what ASUS MB it is off the top of my head as I am at work right now… but I believe it is the P7H55D-M EVO.

#11 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:10

and on the table sits a new CPU!!!… it was however an AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition!!! :D

… because as a wedding present I ended up getting an Intel i5 Quad Core and ASUS MB from my parents

What's for Christmas, a water cooling system ? :)

Man I wish people would throw components at me like that.

This thread is great though because it is about the upgrade path that I want to follow (except for the i5)

Jay's post is very useful as it points to the mobo that is exactly what want.

First though I need to get a solid PSU and Case as a base for the upgrades

#12 Murf

Murf

Posted 12 May 2010 - 17:20

and on the table sits a new CPU!!!… it was however an AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition!!! :D

… because as a wedding present I ended up getting an Intel i5 Quad Core and ASUS MB from my parents

What's for Christmas, a water cooling system ? :)

Man I wish people would throw components at me like that.

Already have that!!! :lol: ;)

This thread is great though because it is about the upgrade path that I want to follow (except for the i5)

Jay's post is very useful as it points to the mobo that is exactly what want.

First though I need to get a solid PSU and Case as a base for the upgrades

I agree… I don't particularly want to go the Intel path. I had 2 die on me (the original I bought and then the replacement) within 5 months, about 5 years ago. :o Since then I have pretty much stayed away from Intel processors…. so to be honest, I'm not sure if the i5 750 is good or not… but I will give it a try and see what happens. ;)

#13 MoMorgan

MoMorgan

Posted 11 June 2010 - 22:59

Intel CPUs are much more reliable now but I am not real keen on their mobos. I like XFX or Asus. Lots of user customization there. Consider jumping now to DDR3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users