Kudlius

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:40

If it would be my PC I would reinstall windows
Fresh copy works better, especially when you totally changed your hardware

#42 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:41

Thanks TB, I hope it will work!
The other question is whether I'll have to reinstall RoF or not!
I'll fire it up and see if it stutters. If yes, I'll reinstall it. If it still stutters I'll make sure the PC store installed the proper driver for everything. If it still stutters, I'll reinstall win7. If it still stutters….I'll go and cry in the corner :P

#43 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:02

If it would be my PC I would reinstall windows
Fresh copy works better, especially when you totally changed your hardware

Hmmm, that's what everyone says on the internet apart from TB and the guys at the PC store…so confused! But oh well, a fresh install won't do any harm!

#44 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 12 May 2010 - 17:09

Hmm..got it, works flawlessly! More abour RoF performance tomorrow.
However it's louder than before! the new PSU?

Is there anything wrong with this?

Attached File  Untitled.jpg   145.75KB   630 downloads

looks like the fans are running at 100%. Why?

#45 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 12 May 2010 - 17:14

You probably have some fan throttle controls in your BIOS.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#46 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 12 May 2010 - 17:39

You probably have some fan throttle controls in your BIOS.

Not in Chinese pls :)

Is there something wrong, and if yes how can I correct it?

#47 mozza

mozza

Posted 12 May 2010 - 17:59

Reflected,

When you boot the machine - hit del quickly as it boots to enter the BIOS setup pages.
You can use cursors to move around pages and setups - BE careful and don't change anything without saving current set up.

There should be a CPU type page that should have some settings for fan speedsetc

Alternatively go to motherboard manufacturers website and see if there are some system tools or programmes (overclocking software) that can be used to set fan speeds etc or a third party fan speed programme.

However - if you reduce your fan speeds - the CPU temps will rise -so take care !If you overclock - you will need improved CPU coolers.

Mozza

#48 Kudlius

Kudlius

Posted 12 May 2010 - 20:06

You can change your fan settings in BIOS.
While PC is loading press DELL button and you will get there (you will see fantastic blue screen :D )
Good luck

#49 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:00

Your temps all look good. Obviously, those are at or close to idle. As long as you stay under 85c or so under really heavy load (like OCCT or Prime95 stress tests). If you don't have a stiff overclock on it, you won't even come close to reaching threshold temps.

You will soon find your video card is going to be a serious bottleneck. Sure, it'll run it and probably even fairly well since most of the stress is going to the CPU anyway, but you'll eventually want to get something in the GTX285/HD5870 range or higher (just make sure you get the 1GB flavor. Or get the GTX470/480 and you'll already have more VRAM than that.

Good luck Greg. 8-)

#50 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:47

OK, thx, found it!
Which one is better:

1:
Smart fan = on
target = 55
Minimum fan speed = 75
(idle temps around 46)

or

2:
Smart fan = off
fans at 100%

Is it a problem if they run at 100%? I don't mind the noise.

I found that it's only a bit noisier than before, and I guess it's the bigger PSU. I don't mind the noise as I've said before ;)

#51 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:18

Greg, my fans are always running…they never stop.
2 fans for my case box, and one big on top of my GTX card.
I really prefer hearing them, i'm sure the temp has to be normal.
I even added an external one on my desk…so hot here sometimes :D
And really glad for you now with new PC and no stutters!

#52 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:22

Greg, my fans are always running…they never stop.
2 fans for my case box, and one big on top of my GTX card.
I really prefer hearing them, i'm sure the temp has to be normal.
I even added an external one on my desk…so hot here sometimes :D
And really glad for you now with new PC and no stutters!

OK, cool, I don't care about the noise as long as running at 100% doesn't do any harm ;)

#53 mozza

mozza

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:41

Reflected,

Try fitting a four bladded prop and Hisso 220Hp !!! Should most definetly cool the CPU (rad open though) - but might be a bit more noisier/realistic !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would try smart fan - and see (watch temps) as it may be a bit quieter and greener :!:

Mozza

#54 MoMorgan

MoMorgan

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:28

Linux distros have been able to gracefully cope with massive hardware changes for the past decade. You would think that Microsoft figured out how to write a modular kernel and a system registry that doesn't shit the bed every 3 months by now :lol: I would give it a shot.

Btw, MoMorgan, Rise of Flight does not utilize SLI or Crossfire. There are flaws or "unfortunate design decisions" within the rendering engine that prevent multiple GPUs from being leveraged correctly, even with all of the driver-level hacks available (read: SLI profiles). Don't waste your money (and electricity) on a 2nd video card. Buy the fastest single-GPU solution you can afford.

This is coming from someone who sold a GTX 295 after finding that it performed no better than a GTX 260 in ROF, btw :)
Wow I'm getting this type of max performance from just ONE of my two 1GB GeForce 9500 GT cards? I wouldn't think just one of them could run ROF with everything firewalled.

I believe my 750i mobo actually distributes the overall GPU workload between the two cards even if the simulation doesn't run an SLI mode (I know Guild Wars does run SLI).

When I get the video card for the i7 I will be going with just one really kickass video card. What's the optimum nVidia card you recommend for ROF performance vs price?

I found a good Tom's Hardware review of the 470 and 480.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/geforce-fermi-gf100-gtx-480-gtx-470,9926.html

#55 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:53

False. Your motherboard can't magically distribute application- or even driver-level instructions across two cards and somehow aggregate their work to your screen. Without going into a lengthy explanation of how 3D rendering works, it's suffice to say that your SLI setup is not being utilized by ROF. Sorry.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#56 MoMorgan

MoMorgan

Posted 15 May 2010 - 17:21

Thanks JayDolan. I gotta give the primary 9500GT lots of credit then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users