Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:35

OK, here's the master plan:

from this:
c2d 2.66
9800GT 1GB
4G RAM
530W PSU

to this:

intel x58 (according to Bender's guide. I'm no expert)
Corsair 850W PSU
a decent cooling system
I'll keep my 4G RAM and buy 2 more

i7-960 @ 3.2 Ghz - AMD six cores are cheaper but they don't perform any better, and I can't afford an i7 6 core (x980)

I'll also keep my vcard. It has 1G memory, and it's dx 10 compatible. It wouldn't be worth it to buy anything that isn't dx11 compatible and has at least 2 gigs, but these cards are non-existent/ horribly expensive

Neither will I buy a sound card, as RoF has problems with it, I suppose the built-in one will work just fine.

I expect this new system to run RoF perfectly and run SoW fine too. In case my Vcard proves to be a bottleneck for SoW, I'll buy a 2Gig one that's dx11 compatible in a year or something.

I think that it won't be much cheaper in September, and the new technologies will still be out of reach for my wallet, so why not now?

What do you you think? Any PC gurus out there?

#2 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:21

from this:
c2d 2.66
9800GT 1GB
4G RAM
530W PSU

to this:

Corsair 850W PSU
a decent cooling system

i7-960 @ 3.2 Ghz - AMD six cores are cheaper but they don't perform any better, and I can't afford an i7 6 core (x980)

I'll also keep my vcard. It has 1G memory, and it's dx 10 compatible. It wouldn't be worth it to buy anything that isn't dx11 compatible and has at least 2 gigs, but these cards are non-existent/ horribly expensive

Neither will I buy a sound card, as RoF has problems with it, I suppose the built-in one will work just fine.

I expect this new system to run RoF perfectly and run SoW fine too. In case my Vcard proves to be a bottleneck for SoW, I'll buy a 2Gig one that's dx11 compatible in a year or something.

I think that it won't be much cheaper in September, and the new technologies will still be out of reach for my wallet, so why not now?

1) CPU - you dont need i7 960….you can buy much cheaper i7 920 and overclock it easily to 3,3 GHz without bumpin up voltage..all you need is to set BCLK to 166….I can help you with all this process since I did this on my PC
2) motheboard…Gigabyte EX58-UD3R…its cheap and very good motherboard for its price….I have one..you dont need better…
3) cooler….Scythe Katana 3….although you really dont need expensive cooler since you wont raise your voltage (raising voltage your raising temps of ur CPU) Katan 3 is a very good choice and isnt expensive…
4) you will keep you RAM? But you have DDR2? X58 has DDR3 slots…its enough to take 2x "GB Kingmax 1333 modules (cheap and good)….you dont need 6GBs because with triple channel you got 2% of performance gain and in most cases you will never need more than 4GBs…
5) PSU - 850W???? OMG…I learned americans favorizing very powerfull PSUs and you really dont tneed that since you wont use two GPUs in your PC (crossfire or whatever)…Corsair PSUs are very good and not expensive…I have Corsair 550VXEU and is enough for my i7920/GTX275
6) GPU - you will need better card believe me…..take 4850 if your short on money…or 5850 if you can afford…

#3 Pimpin

Pimpin

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:23

This game will bankrupt us all! Good luck with whatever you choose Greg!

#4 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:35

from this:
c2d 2.66
9800GT 1GB
4G RAM
530W PSU

to this:

Corsair 850W PSU
a decent cooling system

you dont need i7960…you can get much cheaper i7920 and overclock it to 3,3Ghz without raising you voltage (just change BCLK value)…you dont need expensive cooler since you wouldnt raise voltage (and heat)…..I have Scythe Katana 3 which is not expensive but more than enough for my i7920….if you have DDR2 RAM be aware x58 has DDR3 slots…4 GIGS is enough because you wont need more (with 6gigs in triple channel performance increase is only 2-3%)….
you dont need 850 wats…unless you want two GPUs in your PC…I have Corsair 550VXEU which is enough for my i7920 and GTX275….
you will need a new GPU….your card is outdated for ROF (for SOW even more)….you can take ATI 5770 or older (but not slower) 4870…both cheaper and faster than GTX260 for ROF. Your current card is DX10 compatible but RL performance in DX10 games is not smooth…..

#5 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:11

The big question is whether I need an i7 960 or will a 920 sufice, as the former costs more than twice as much.

#6 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:17

I would suggest getting the 920 and be prepared to overclock it. You can probably get 3.2 out of it with the stock cooler. I know that TX-TB, Tvrdi, and many others here have that chip and are very pleased. TX-TB is running his at 3.8GHz, btw.

Hopefully the money you would save on the CPU this way will allow you to upgrade your video card, because I do not think the 9800GT will let you run at even modest resolutions with FSAA.

Btw: I called it! :lol:

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#7 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:23

Hmmm, 920 then! Thanks!
But what Vcard should I buy? Is there a vcard that's considerably better than my 1G 9800 GT, and is DX11 compatible (and affordable) ?

#8 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:26

#9 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:29

In the $200 range you can get an ATI 5770 or NV GTX 260. At this point in time, the GTX 260 is rather old and the price is only still so high because NVidia has struggled to introduce anything new. I would lean towards ATI in this price range.

Both cards are 1 to 1.5 generations newer than your 9800GT.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#10 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:37

I can afford better ones:

GTX 285 or 5870?

#11 O_catarM

O_catarM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:40

If you going to use it mainly for gaming I would go AMD as there is no difference in performance in gaming and money you save get a better vid card.

#12 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:14

The winner is: 5870 as it's DX 11 compatible.

Or I can leave my 9800 as it's fine for RoF, and buy a 5970 later when it will be cheaper.

So: a 5870 now or a 5970 later? :D

#13 Pimpin

Pimpin

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:22

Well,you could keep the 9800 if it is ok for RoF,and get a better card later BUT the 9800 would possibly hold the i7 back,and think how much better RoF will look on max settings!
As an aside,I run RoF on max settings with a 4850 1GB card…

#14 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 06 May 2010 - 14:24

You've already been given excellent advice, but I will interject a bit too.

First, the i7 920 is a screamer and stable as a rock. Save your money and don't swing for a 960. You don't need it now and likely will not need it this time next year as there is so much headroom in the 920.

Get a 6GB kit of really good 1600mhz triple channel RAM. Period. You can settle for 1333, but why bother? The difference in future headroom is well worth it.

DEFINITELY upgrade that video card. My GTX285 is rock solid, but it's over a year old and if I were doing right now, I'd go with the 5870 out of those two (my personal choice would be an NV 480). Whichever you choose, make sure you get as much VRAM on it as you can. 1GB is minimum and even more is better. If I were to recommend the GTX 285, I'd say get the 2GB version…ditto for the 5870 (i.e. get the 2GB version if you can). The extra VRAM isn't mandatory, but games these days are sucking it up so fast, you'll appreciate it in as little time as a few months.

Don't bother with an SSD right now. A really good 7200rpm HDD will do just fine. If you have a few extra clams and don't need to toss them to your RAM kit or better VC, a 10,000 rpm Vraptor is sweet. I have three in my machines and they are a treat.

Get a good aftermarket CPU cooler. The Katana 3 is good as stated, but I am really partial to the Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 (TRUE). You don't need the "limited Edition" copper unit. The standard version is excellent and is consistently tested as the best air cooler made.

From there, you're good to go. Good luck and keep us posted.

#15 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 06 May 2010 - 20:18

I'm into the same inhere, as a AMD fan I would like to go for the Phenom II X6-1090t but this is rather expensive now.

Right now I'm considering a i7-930 [only 15,- more than a i7-920], lot of best buy gaming rigs use the i7-860 socket 1156 BTW.
Cooler, the Prolimatech Megahalems seems to be very good inhere and the Scythe Mugen2 is real bang for bucks, you can also use the stockcooler if you do not OC.
Videocard, I have a decent one for RoF, but for you get a directX11 card like the new Nvidia 4XX or a HD58XX serie.
Motherboard X58, I'm going for a USB3, SATA3 and prepared for 6core CPU mobo, like budget Asrock real333 series.

Until now my AMD 6400+ dualcore rig does handle RoF fine after the last update, until that I can keep my $$$ in the pocket.

You can not use your old DDR2 RAM in a X58 mobo BTW
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#16 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 06 May 2010 - 20:37

You're going to get a mass of suggestions here ;) .

I use an AMD Athlon2 quad-core and an ATI4870 with onboard sound on max settings. with absolutely no problems.

Good luck!
S!

#17 Murf

Murf

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:12

The one concern I would have with what you plan, is you say you are going to keep your present 4GB memory plus add 4GB more… I presume that it is DDR2 on your present dual core…

Any of the better quad or higher motherboards are going to have DDR3 240pin memory slots… they are NOT DDR2 backwards compatible as far as I know.

Personally for gaming if you are looking at a 6 core, the less expensive AMD CPU is the best path I think. I like the Intel, but I don't see where it particularly is better for a gaming system, and it costs quite a bit more. I just don't think you would get as bang for the buck and paying more for the name… Just MY opinion

#18 MoMorgan

MoMorgan

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:49

The one concern I would have with what you plan, is you say you are going to keep your present 4GB memory plus add 4GB more… I presume that it is DDR2 on your present dual core…

Any of the better quad or higher motherboards are going to have DDR3 240pin memory slots… they are NOT DDR2 backwards compatible as far as I know.

Personally for gaming if you are looking at a 6 core, the less expensive AMD CPU is the best path I think. I like the Intel, but I don't see where it particularly is better for a gaming system, and it costs quite a bit more. I just don't think you would get as bang for the buck and paying more for the name… Just MY opinion
No, the X58 mobos use DDR3 triple channel memory and they are NOT backwards compatible, so it's time to move on up to the new RAM standard.
New CPU slots too as we migrate away from SlotA to LGA1366. This is a critical jump.
I rarely go with the "bleeding edge" due to high cost and lack of tested drivers/compatible software. I also look at technology trends like PCIe 2.0, 64-bit, quad core, and DDR3 to stay on the right evolutionary track.
I'm going with an XFX X58 mobo (I love their mobos!) and am favoring the Intel i7-930 CPU for performance vs cost–its only $20 more than the 920 and half the price of a 960.
I always preferred AMD but Intel has been very competitive the past couple of years so I've become an Intel person. They are revolutionizing the Front Side Bus infrastructure which should really enhance CPU speed.
I prefer nVidia GeForce over ATI and have for several years now–ATI cards seem to have lots of issues (I've seen many at work), either hardware or drivers. Which video card to get is a matter of price point and I agree that you should get as a minimum 1GB of VRAM, preferably more. I've been running a 2 card SLI and that's worked out well–each card is pretty affordable so a pair of them isn't bad. I was looking at a GTX 260 but it sounds like I need to look for a GTX 285 if I can, 2GB if possible.
I got the V8 cooler (big as a baby's head) and does a good job of cooling.
Get a 1000w power supply; that's a very critical and often overlooked component.
Also look for a good case with lots of big fans to keep everything cool.

#19 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:18

You've already been given excellent advice, but I will interject a bit too.

First, the i7 920 is a screamer and stable as a rock. Save your money and don't swing for a 960. You don't need it now and likely will not need it this time next year as there is so much headroom in the 920.

Get a 6GB kit of really good 1600mhz triple channel RAM. Period. You can settle for 1333, but why bother? The difference in future headroom is well worth it.

DEFINITELY upgrade that video card. My GTX285 is rock solid, but it's over a year old and if I were doing right now, I'd go with the 5870 out of those two (my personal choice would be an NV 480). Whichever you choose, make sure you get as much VRAM on it as you can. 1GB is minimum and even more is better. If I were to recommend the GTX 285, I'd say get the 2GB version…ditto for the 5870 (i.e. get the 2GB version if you can). The extra VRAM isn't mandatory, but games these days are sucking it up so fast, you'll appreciate it in as little time as a few months.

Don't bother with an SSD right now. A really good 7200rpm HDD will do just fine. If you have a few extra clams and don't need to toss them to your RAM kit or better VC, a 10,000 rpm Vraptor is sweet. I have three in my machines and they are a treat.

Get a good aftermarket CPU cooler. The Katana 3 is good as stated, but I am really partial to the Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 (TRUE). You don't need the "limited Edition" copper unit. The standard version is excellent and is consistently tested as the best air cooler made.

From there, you're good to go. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks, that was very helpful!
I'll buy a good set of RAM too, 6GB of 1600 MHz DD3 RAM.
How important it is to have a 7200rpm HD? I don't know what mine is like. it's a Samsung, 500GB, bought it for 50 bucks, no idea of the RPM, but if it's very important, I'll buy a new one too for windows and games, and I'll use the old one for storage.

#20 hairylegs

hairylegs

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:31

5) PSU - 850W???? OMG…I learned americans favorizing very powerfull PSUs and you really dont tneed that since you wont use two GPUs in your PC (crossfire or whatever)…Corsair PSUs are very good and not expensive…I have Corsair 550VXEU and is enough for my i7920/GTX275
6) GPU - you will need better card believe me…..take 4850 if your short on money…or 5850 if you can afford…

Just be careful with the 4850, we had a 4870 his that did require two inputs (6 pin molex) of 75watts at 12v…. this is extreeme and our 850w psu couldnt do it. I would advise settling on gfx card and then determining the psu requirement… Power (watts)= volts x amps.
BTW my gtx 260sp by Pallit was dirt cheap and performs well with everything maxed but textures on medium I get no errors and a sincronised 60 fps. Also to note, my intel q9550 is of the same ilk, big bang for bucks and can be overclocked to buggery if you so desire. It also has 12 Mb of cache. The missus has an amd phenom2 x4 965 black ed. cpu and it was fairly cheap and screams.
have fun
Louie

#21 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:22

How important it is to have a 7200rpm HD? I don't know what mine is like. it's a Samsung, 500GB, bought it for 50 bucks, no idea of the RPM, but if it's very important, I'll buy a new one too for windows and games, and I'll use the old one for storage.

It's hard to find an internal SATA drive that is NOT 7200rpm these days. Even tho yours was a cheapie, it is likely 7200rpm. That doesn't mean it's fast, tho. Average seek time, buffer / cache size, and maximum data rate are all key factors as well.

I have a WD Caviar Black, and aside from =IRFC=Darling= who has an SSD, I'm always the first one to spawn on ToW. This is critical for missions where there is only one SE5a :mrgreen:

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#22 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:29

It's hard to find an internal SATA drive that is NOT 7200rpm these days. Even tho yours was a cheapie, it is likely 7200rpm. That doesn't mean it's fast, tho. Average seek time, buffer / cache size, and maximum data rate are all key factors as well.

I have a WD Caviar Black, and aside from =IRFC=Darling= who has an SSD, I'm always the first one to spawn on ToW. This is critical for missions where there is only one SE5a :mrgreen:

Me too, I'm usually among the first to load missions in MP, so I guess I shouldn't worry about my HD. I'll spend that money on RAM instead.

#23 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:34

My PC is in the store being pimped right now. I can go and get it on Wednesday the soonest. Then I'll have to reinstall win7 64, and everything - yay..

Here's what it will look like:

x58 mobo
i7-920
3x2GB of 1600 DDR3 RAM
my old 9800GT 1GB
and my old 7200 RPM HD

I' can't wait! :D

#24 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:30

I see your graphic card as a partybraker…I know teh money is the problem….my advice is - save for 5850 because this card would be optimal wor this CPU…..

#25 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:34

I see your graphic card as a partybraker…I know teh money is the problem….my advice is - save for 5850 because this card would be optimal wor this CPU…..

I know, I know. I'm sure it won't be any worse than before though ;)
RoF ran with no Vcard related problems at all, it was my CPU that struggled with this game.
Nevertheless I'll save my money and buy a decent vcard when SoW comes out.

#26 Kudlius

Kudlius

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:59

I hope I am not to late.

For i7 920 processor it is important to know, that your RAM will work only on 1066 frequency, so I would buy 1066 RAM. And second very important thing about RAM is, that voltage should be only 1,5 V for i7 920, if it will be above it can damage your processor. I think dual channel 4 Gb (2x2 Gb) will be enough.

And I would buy HD5870 / HD5850, or new GTX470 / GTX480 from NVidia as a second choice.
HD5970 or GTX295 are dual cards and they are not supported by any flightsim.

As in the future there is no any signs about any flightsim wit SLI or Crossfire support, so I would buy cheaper motherboard.

Next very important thing to know, that you will need very powerful power supply. I would buy 1000 W.

Also it is very important to get fast HDD. 10000 rpm or something, or even SSD.

It is always a lotery, when you are collecting RIG, because of the compatibility.

I would Buy:
Asus G73Jh.
You can get it for less than 2000 € now. It will be only few hundreds more than full RIG and you will get 'harmonized' and portable PC with i7 and HD5870 and many other high end parts. And warranty conditions are really fantastic (for me it really important).
http://uk.asus.com/p...je5Ot4HBnKOdT81">http://uk.asus.com/p...je5Ot4HBnKOdT81

#27 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:20

I hope I am not to late.

For i7 920 processor it is important to know, that your RAM will work only on 1066 frequency, so I would buy 1066 RAM. And second very important thing about RAM is, that voltage should be only 1,5 V for i7 920, if it will be above it can damage your processor. I think dual channel 4 Gb (2x2 Gb) will be enough.

And I would buy HD5870 / HD5850, or new GTX470 / GTX480 from NVidia as a second choice.
HD5970 or GTX295 are dual cards and they are not supported by any flightsim.

As in the future there is no any signs about any flightsim wit SLI or Crossfire support, so I would buy cheaper motherboard.

Next very important thing to know, that you will need very powerful power supply. I would buy 1000 W.

Also it is very important to get fast HDD. 10000 rpm or something, or even SSD.

It is always a lotery, when you are collecting RIG, because of the compatibility.

I would Buy:
Asus G73Jh.
You can get it for less than 2000 € now. It will be only few hundreds more than full RIG and you will get 'harmonized' and portable PC with i7 and HD5870 and many other high end parts. And warranty conditions are really fantastic (for me it really important).
http://uk.asus.com/p...je5Ot4HBnKOdT81">http://uk.asus.com/p...je5Ot4HBnKOdT81

well said except PSU watts….as I learned, some ppl tend to exaggerate in that area….I have Corsair 550VXEU and it is enough for my i7920 overclcoked to 3,34Ghz on default voltage + gtx 275, one hdd and one optical drive…you will need 1000W only for sli…..and even for that 1000 (true) watts is overkill…..also, important is how much it can give you on 12V…..I can write 300 Watts on a box and hav 200W of power on 12v :lol:
so effective power is what ur looking for…not declared power…

#28 Kudlius

Kudlius

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:30

:D 1000W
It's because of the new GTX470 or GTX480.
Some times people have good rig and bad power supply and a lot of problems.
750 W are enough (and you really need 750W). But price for good 750 W are really close to 1000 W so it is smart to buy 1000W.

But as I said I would buy Asus G73Jh. Unfortunately it was to expensive when I was collecting my PC. Now price is really good compare to the same quality RIG.

#29 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:46

Guys, I don't have my new rig yet, but you guys are already suggesting what needs to be replaced. Let me be happy for a little while! ;)

As for the RAM voltage - I have no idea, but I really hope the guys at the PC store do, so they will not put incompatible parts together….

#30 Kudlius

Kudlius

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:30

You will be really heappy.
Your i7 920 will be loaded only up to 50 % in RoF.

#31 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:44

That's more like it :D

BTW, Kudlius, thanks for the advice! How true: the X58 - i7 combo's max RAM voltage is 1,65 whereas the Kingmax 1600 DDR3 works at 1,8. So I called the store and told them I want an OCZ 1333 platinum (3x2) instead, which is designed for the i7 series and works at 1,65 all right.

#32 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 10 May 2010 - 18:53

That's probably best Reflected since your i7 920 probably wouldn't use the 1800 to its fullest potential anyway. If you overclock the CPU to 3.8ghz (from its stock frequency of 2.66ghz) your RAM will still only be running 1523mhz which is still under what a set of 1600mhz RAM is spec'd to.

Your 1333 RAM will take your i7 920 up to 3.3ghz pretty easily and if you don't believe me, just ask Ready Man if that's a big difference or not. :ugeek:

#33 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 10 May 2010 - 19:57

That's probably best Reflected since your i7 920 probably wouldn't use the 1800 to its fullest potential anyway. If you overclock the CPU to 3.8ghz (from its stock frequency of 2.66ghz) your RAM will still only be running 1523mhz which is still under what a set of 1600mhz RAM is spec'd to.

Your 1333 RAM will take your i7 920 up to 3.3ghz pretty easily and if you don't believe me, just ask Ready Man if that's a big difference or not. :ugeek:

I have my RAM (declared as DDR3 1333Mhz) run at 1328 Mhz while my CPU is at 3,3 Ghz without a problem (no need for raising up cpu voltage, just be sure to set voltage to normal, not on auto, so your mobo wont raise ur voltage unnecessary). All than on Gigabyte X58 UDR3 mobo with latest BIOS.

#34 Kiwi-GB

Kiwi-GB

Posted 11 May 2010 - 18:04

Just for the graphics card:
I personally recommend a Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 1GB, it's relatively cheap(~80£) and has 1 GB of GDDR3 RAM, so it runs this game and many others very smoothly.

S!

#35 MoMorgan

MoMorgan

Posted 11 May 2010 - 23:51

Just for the graphics card:
I personally recommend a Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 1GB, it's relatively cheap(~80£) and has 1 GB of GDDR3 RAM, so it runs this game and many others very smoothly.

S!
That's the one I was eyeing, or possibly the 260–they seem to have more than ample performance and are pretty economical. I think the 4XX series are a bit out of reach right now, but may be more affordable by late summer when I will need one.

#36 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 12 May 2010 - 00:52

The GTS 250 is a re-branded 9800GTS. The 260 is of a newer design, but is not monumentally faster. The 260 is adequate for running ROF on medium settings at moderate resolutions. The 250 is definitely not.

I owned a 260 for a while, btw.

Having purchased several hardware upgrades for this sim that each fell short, I would strongly recommend that if you're going to make an investment in hardware for this game, you purchase at least:

CPU: i7 920, Phenom II 965 BE
Video: GTX 275, Radeon 5850

Anything less and you will be kicking yourself, and likely eyeballing another upgrade in 3 months.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#37 MoMorgan

MoMorgan

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:54

The GTS 250 is a re-branded 9800GTS. The 260 is of a newer design, but is not monumentally faster. The 260 is adequate for running ROF on medium settings at moderate resolutions. The 250 is definitely not.

I owned a 260 for a while, btw.

Having purchased several hardware upgrades for this sim that each fell short, I would strongly recommend that if you're going to make an investment in hardware for this game, you purchase at least:

CPU: i7 920, Phenom II 965 BE
Video: GTX 275, Radeon 5850

Anything less and you will be kicking yourself, and likely eyeballing another upgrade in 3 months.
Thanks so much! Right now I am running a quad core, 8MB of DDR2 RAM, and a pair of 9500 GT cards on a 780i in an SLI. This is plenty to run ROF at 1920 with all settings firewalled and getting smooth performance.

I have an XFX 58 and will be getting an i7 930 CPU soon set up with 6MB of 1333 DDR3. Was pondering which video card to get and can run 2-3 cards in an SLI on that mobo. I've been poring through the various nVidia GTX 2XX and 4XX series to get a feel for price points vs memory and performance. Sounds like I should consider 1-2 GTX 275/285 (1GB or more if available) or a screaming 4XX.

#38 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:36

Guys, the store jsut called me that I can pick up my new PC this afternoon!
They also said that there's no need to reinstall win7 as it recognized every new hardware and they've installed the drivers. How come? I thought I'd definitely have to reinstall the OS after a mobo/RAM/CPU upgrade…

Do you guys think that I can leave it as it is, or I should reinstall windows anyway? (typical case of "too good to be true")

#39 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:16

Linux distros have been able to gracefully cope with massive hardware changes for the past decade. You would think that Microsoft figured out how to write a modular kernel and a system registry that doesn't shit the bed every 3 months by now :lol: I would give it a shot.

Btw, MoMorgan, Rise of Flight does not utilize SLI or Crossfire. There are flaws or "unfortunate design decisions" within the rendering engine that prevent multiple GPUs from being leveraged correctly, even with all of the driver-level hacks available (read: SLI profiles). Don't waste your money (and electricity) on a 2nd video card. Buy the fastest single-GPU solution you can afford.

This is coming from someone who sold a GTX 295 after finding that it performed no better than a GTX 260 in ROF, btw :)

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#40 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:36

They also said that there's no need to reinstall win7 as it recognized every new hardware and they've installed the drivers. How come? I thought I'd definitely have to reinstall the OS after a mobo/RAM/CPU upgrade…

Do you guys think that I can leave it as it is, or I should reinstall windows anyway? (typical case of "too good to be true")

I'd say leave it as it is. A clean OS install is a sweet thing, but if you didn't have much bloat or clutter in your old install, let it ride. Ever since Windows XP SP3, windows has been able (most of the time) to even go through a mobo+CPU change and still recognize/boot properly. That aspect should be better with Win7 (note, "should be").

I say, let it ride. If it suffers as a result, then you can always do a reinstall then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users