Photo
- - - - -

Not sure...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Murf

Murf

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:57

I'm curious… as I don't know the technical in and out's of the sim…

Is it better… and perhaps take a load off my CPU… to have my graphics card override the games settings as far as rendering AA and such??? In other words to have the hardware handle the load…. or is it better for this sim to have the
application do it???

Any ideas???

#2 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:46

I don't think having the graphics card override AA would take any load off your CPU.

For example with ATI, CCC can do those functions, but I get better results with "application controlled" . Better results suggests lower CPU load if anything, but, as I said, I don't think it affects the CPU.

Edit - I'm absolutely guessing, but someone might know how these things are shared between CPU and GPU. I'd be keen to know anything about it too.

#3 PP_Nobody96

PP_Nobody96

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:25

As far as i now from my lectures in 3d programming, the card driver responds to DirectX or OpenGL calls. Therefore it should be the same, if not even better when the program handles this settings directly because the driver does not need to edit calls that are send from the game. The overrides are in place when calls form a game aren't to your liking, because the game it to old and doesn't know them or the game is buggy.

so long
Mathias

#4 ZaltysZ

ZaltysZ

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:15

Override means that AA is forced to whole scene.

Application-controlled means that AA is (can be) selectively applied to particular objects in scene for better performance and quality, but application has to tell the driver where to apply AA.

There is the third mode - "Enhanced", it is simply like application-controlled mode, but with increased AA levels.

#5 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:33

Some while back in a similar thread, Neoqb advised turning all settings over to application control. It works well for me. I've tried almost every other combination but the results are not as good.
S!

#6 Murf

Murf

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:43

HMMMM…. INTERESTING

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users