- - - - -

Snarling Trolls Challenge most challenging plane

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Nooney

Nooney
  • LocationOn your 6 Boooooom

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:24

This is in no way a slight on the Devs, just an opinion for the next snarling troll challenge.
in your opinion what is the most challenging plane to handle in ROF i.e the one you hate to fly cause it causes you so much frustration with spins or dives and the wings ripping off at the slightest manoeuvre? I have to say mine is all the British planes :lol:

I will give this poll 3 days then the challenge will be the most Duelist kills with that plane, be honest, don't pick a plane you can fly well, pick your worst, and lets see if you can improve your skills with that plane.

I have left out the most popular ones, but I know some will see there most favourite in the list, so its a gentlemans agreement to pick your worst from the list. ;)

The challenge will be full payload, warmed up engine, quick mission, duel, opponent SE5a average ability, any airfield, most kills in one flight, challenge to run till Sunday 16th May 2010
P.s.you are going to need unlimited ammo, and fuel for this so its allowed.

Good luck

#2 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:42

Keep in mind! The Camel and the Dr1 might be most popular, they are also some of the hardest to fly especially the Dr1).

Whatever challenge you are going to make out of this, how about making it with 100% fuel loads? :) Noone will even recognise the flightmodels I think!

#3 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:43

N28 hands down :)

Obviously the N11 might be weaker in combat but it is handles a lot better, imo. The N17, too.

Also with the QMB you can set your opponent to N11 on easy skill and have some sort of drone shoot, not really much of a challenge. Not that the Ace AI is that much harder mind you.

The four german planes at the bottom are all very easy to fly. You might want to add the D.XII but with the new BMW engine it is not that much of a brick anymore.

#4 Nooney

Nooney

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:52

N28 hands down :)

Obviously the N11 might be weaker in combat but it is handles a lot better, imo. The N17, too.

Also with the QMB you can set your opponent to N11 on easy skill and have some sort of drone shoot, not really much of a challenge. Not that the Ace AI is that much harder mind you.

The four german planes at the bottom are all very easy to fly. You might want to add the D.XII but with the new BMW engine it is not that much of a brick anymore.
I left it out imp because of the new BMW engine, some are buzzing at the new tweak.

#5 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:44

Where's the Dr. 1!!! :shock:

#6 hq_Neca

hq_Neca

Posted 01 May 2010 - 14:01

I choosed an N28 because I can't find anything useful to do with that plane, except head ons :? :? or to be very lucky and do some very lucky shots. :twisted:

#7 von_Heimler

von_Heimler
  • LocationChilliwack, BC Canada

Posted 01 May 2010 - 15:11

I chose the DVII just because it's a slow moving beast in RoF the other aircraft are a little faster imo.

Cheers,

Signature_zpsy2runyft.jpg

"Become an Ace by mastering your aircraft!"

#8 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 01 May 2010 - 16:28

The N.28 flight model is hosed. Everyone knows it. I think even NeoQB knows it. But since they don't stand to make a dime by fixing this plane, I doubt they ever will. :?

It's really a shame to disgrace the aircraft which gave birth to the AEF and so many great French and American pilot careers. And it's downright embarrassing for NeoQB to model a 1918 aircraft as inferior to every German a/c in the game. Totally botched it. Too proud to fix it.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#9 Nooney

Nooney

Posted 01 May 2010 - 16:40

Where's the Dr. 1!!! :shock:
I left it out along with the spad and camel, they are so popular and in the right hands deadly.

Looks like we all better start practicing with the N28 :lol:

#10 A.Challenge

A.Challenge
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted 01 May 2010 - 17:26

The N.28 flight model is hosed. Everyone knows it. I think even NeoQB knows it.

The real Nieuport 28 was a hosed design from the start. I read (and trying to remember the source) that French pilots didn't want to fly it and the factory switched to manufacturing Spads. While fast for a rotary, it was slower than most German fighters of the same time frame. It had structural weaknesses as well so acrobatics were chancy at best.

Its operational ceiling was about 6,000 meters: it took a bit over 20 minutes to reach it. Some reports said it struggled to get over 5,000 m. It took about 5 minutes just to reach 2,000 m – give or take.

It was quick and maneuverable, but climbed like a brick and fell apart easily. How does this compare to the way it's modeled?

campribV.png

#11 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 01 May 2010 - 17:47

It climbed as well as any other rotary-powered plane, none of which performed well at high altitude. In fact, the Fokker Dr.I in Rise of Flight is absurdly over modeled in this regard right now.

I own and have read Theodore Hamady's 200 page hard-cover book on this plane:
http://www.amazon.co.../dp/0764329332/">http://www.amazon.co...euport-28-Ameri … 764329332/

On page 100 there is a table which lists maximum speed and rate of climb for the following aircraft: Albatros D.Va, Pfalz D.IIIa, Fokker D.VII, Fokker D.VII(f), N.28, SPAD XIII. The table confirms that the N.28 was faster and out-climbed all of those German aircraft all the way up to 13,120ft (4km). So it's rate of climb and air speed are actually accurate in Rise of Flight.

What is not accurate at all is that it can not match a single German plane in sustained rate of turn. The N.28 in ROF has a horrendous turn radius, and loses energy incredibly quickly when forced into a turning fight. This despite the fact that it weighs the same thing as a Sopwith Camel at take off, and has 30 more horsepower. And despite the numerous pilot accounts from both sides of the war which state that the plane was a worthy fighter and formidable opponent, capable of going turn for turn with the Fokker D.VII.

The N.28 was passed over by the French because of its performance over 4km. This is where the bulk of aerial combat took place in 1918. However, the N.28 was a beast in a low-altitude turning fight, and it's currently anything but in Rise of Flight. The plane's turning radius, energy bleed / glide ratio, and gyroscopic effects all need to be revised for it to fly anything like the real thing.

And btw, the wing fabric failures you alluded to were a non-issue on the front where the N.28 saw the most action (Chateau-Thierry). There were only a couple isolated occurrences of that particular defect. It's not something that happened to every N.28 ever built.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#12 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 01 May 2010 - 18:57

I have not read up on it like Jay has but I'm rooting his cause. I can't believe the N28 turned as badly as it does in ROF.

#13 Nooney

Nooney

Posted 02 May 2010 - 00:28

I followed Jay's link and seen the book then got side tracked to terror of the autumn skies a pilot called Something Luke it was read inside from Amazon it was fascinating his account of the spad and the war in general, not so glamorous a life as I thought in those days as a pilot :o

#14 Nooney

Nooney

Posted 04 May 2010 - 16:09

Right there it is then the challenge is in the N28 good luck :)

#15 Nova...

Nova...

Posted 05 May 2010 - 00:13

I was just flying the N28 against the Se5a for a couple of hours.
It takes some getting used to the limited visability compared to the planes with no windscreen.
That Se5a is hard to stay in a turn with too but I got a few before they took me out.
Good thing too, the kitten fell asleep in my lap and had a dream that caused her to extend her claws :o

#16 Nova...

Nova...

Posted 10 May 2010 - 21:21

So how is practice going?

#17 A.Challenge

A.Challenge
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:14

So the challenge is to see how many you can shoot down before they drop you?

campribV.png

#18 Herbs107

Herbs107

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:31

Why isnt the Pfalz DX11 mentioned…Its a pig…

#19 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 11 May 2010 - 13:41

A killer pig!

#20 Nova...

Nova...

Posted 16 May 2010 - 21:33

#21 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 17 May 2010 - 23:20

Take the N.28 online and see how well you do ;)

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#22 Nooney

Nooney

Posted 18 May 2010 - 19:23

Winner Nova Congrats buddy :)
Attached File  bone shaker.png   185.86KB   254 downloads

#23 Nova...

Nova...

Posted 18 May 2010 - 20:12

Thanks Nooney, that is a really good looking award too!

:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users