Re: 1.012 - STUTTERS! - SOLVED (KINDA)!

• Please log in to reply
237 replies to this topic

#41 taleks2

taleks2

Posted 01 May 2010 - 14:22

Taleks, how intensive on cpu and gpu respectively is

landscape_mesh_quality = 1.00000
I'm not sure on this one, may be Lefty or Han will answer. It help to save videocard memory and a bit of CPU performance, but non of them are lacking in Reflected's problem here. Judging from stutters description - I don't think it's related to landscape mesh.

#42 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 01 May 2010 - 14:28

Hm,

what if you manually change in startup.cfg these ones:

post_drops_enable = 1
post_effects_enable = 1
reflection = 1

to

post_drops_enable = 0
post_effects_enable = 0
reflection = 0

and start game via rof.exe, but not via settings or updater utility?

Also, in earlier versions of game there was problem with icons, so, maybe this is also needs to be set to 0 :

showcompas = 1
showicons = 1

Other options seems quite normal to me.

Negative. Tried all of these :(
Lowering the mesh didn't help either.

It's difinitely related to the number of planes.
1 vs 1 it's almost playable, and apart from the stutters my FPS seems to be better!

#43 Chaos

Chaos

Posted 01 May 2010 - 14:30

No it's not the same problem.

I ran another defrag program, and I got this:

hmm….

Did you run it with the game running? Would explain why its unable to defrag the files, as you have it open…

Buy a small 32Gigabyte SSD and put ROF on it, for me it fixed all the stuttering problems, and load times. If I had Australian servers to play on I would be flying, hopefully now with DF servers australia will get a server again.

#44 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 01 May 2010 - 14:31

Taleks, how intensive on cpu and gpu respectively is

landscape_mesh_quality = 1.00000
I'm not sure on this one, may be Lefty or Han will answer. It help to save videocard memory and a bit of CPU performance, but non of them are lacking in Reflected's problem here. Judging from stutters description - I don't think it's related to landscape mesh.
This is interesting what else, besides Mesh-quality, could relieve the CPU load in RoF settings.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#45 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 01 May 2010 - 14:31

hmm….

Did you run it with the game running? Would explain why its unable to defrag the files, as you have it open…

Buy a small 32Gigabyte SSD and put ROF on it, for me it fixed all the stuttering problems, and load times. If I had Australian servers to play on I would be flying, hopefully now with DF servers australia will get a server again.

Of course not. But now I've managed to defrag and optimize my whole HD. which is quite new BTW and worked perfectly until the update.

#46 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 01 May 2010 - 14:34

I'd totally come over and have a look at your pc, not that I am any more qualified than you, but you might be missing something here due to your "emotional involvement" ;) Sadly hungary is just a bit far for my bicycle :?

Have you tried using different USB ports for track IR and your other devices like I suggested on the other page and our forums?

#47 Chaos

Chaos

Posted 01 May 2010 - 14:39

hmm….

Of course not. But now I've managed to defrag and optimize my whole HD. which is quite new BTW and worked perfectly until the update.

Doesnt matter if its new, or old. I'm talking about SSD Performance with ROF, it fixed load times, and stutters for me.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ky__1mBBA8E">

#48 MattM

MattM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 15:48

Try uninstalling the 2008 version of Visual C++. Then install the C++ from the ROF disk/folder (vcredist.exe).

#49 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 01 May 2010 - 16:20

Reflected,

Unfortunately, my micro-stutters seem to be entirely server-specific. In single player and even on other MP servers, my game runs exactly as it did during the 1.012 beta (smoothly). However, as soon as I visit CoCo's, I see micro-pauses every 1-5 seconds.

You're seeing them all the time, tho?

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#50 Arrowhead2k9

Arrowhead2k9

Posted 01 May 2010 - 18:12

Reflected,

Unfortunately, my micro-stutters seem to be entirely server-specific. In single player and even on other MP servers, my game runs exactly as it did during the 1.012 beta (smoothly). However, as soon as I visit CoCo's, I see micro-pauses every 1-5 seconds.

This is exactly what I have. Multiplayer is unplayable now. Same deal in the ToW server too.

Everytime there's an update, something breaks. I can't stand this! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

#51 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 01 May 2010 - 18:45

Reflected,

same thing here…smooth offline and very short microstutters (occasional) online

I can bet this is game optimisation isssue….they need to find a way to optimise this sim so we wont have microstutters when other objects and planes are in the same mission…

#52 winger2

winger2

Posted 01 May 2010 - 19:36

Reflected,

Same probelm here. I cannot believe noone had that during beta.

Winger

#53 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 01 May 2010 - 19:40

Reflected,

Winger

I had….and not only me….but you think we, as beta/open beta testers, should fix this :shock:

#54 Arrowhead2k9

Arrowhead2k9

Posted 01 May 2010 - 19:45

Reflected,

Winger

I had….and not only me….but you think we, as beta/open beta testers, should fix this :shock:

So they even knew about this in the beta phase and did nothing to fix it? Great, that's reassuring.

#55 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 01 May 2010 - 19:51

This issue was actually identified, targeted by one of the very last 1.012 release candidates, and supposedly fixed. At least, this is what the change logs told us.

I personally never experienced these micro-pauses during the closed betas and open testing. And I took part in several 20-player fly-ins. So I'm really puzzled that I'm suddenly seeing it – and only on CoCo's :?

Given that it's impacting most players under the right circumstances, I'm sure it won't be hard for NeoQB to reproduce and then address the problem. People on lesser systems are probably feeling the symptoms more. But even myself and Tvrdi, both with pretty powerful rigs, are experiencing it too.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#56 Hyneman

Hyneman

Posted 01 May 2010 - 20:13

hmm…sad that even more people have problems playing ROF. Personally I've no stutters at all.
Hope neoqb will fix those issues as soon as possible. :(

#57 winger2

winger2

Posted 01 May 2010 - 20:16

Reflected,

Winger

I am not blaming anyone. Just realizing that like it is its almost unplayable. Also the lag and warping is MUCH worse than it ever was before.
BTW. i have the stuttering on all servers. Not in singleplayer. Turning off vsync seemed to help a bit but not much. What i am also experiencing is black squares in groundtextures. They are like 1 square kilometer big and switch from broken to correct when zooming in. My graphiscard is watercooled and NOT overclocked.
This is no good for the already small playerbase. I think this game cannot afford loosing customers. I hope neoqb thinks like that and hotfixes quickly!

Winger

#58 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 01 May 2010 - 20:49

The only time I've ever experienced stutters in this game was when I was attempting at getting TrackIR3 to work about a couple of months ago.
I had to update my USB/mobo drivers, TIR started working, no more stutters.
I'd suggest flying without your TIR plugged in, and see if the stutters still exist.

Win7 64bit
Radeon 5850
I7920

(I had no stutters for me during beta testing either).

#59 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 01 May 2010 - 21:36

Reflected,

Winger

I am not blaming anyone. Just realizing that like it is its almost unplayable. Also the lag and warping is MUCH worse than it ever was before.
BTW. i have the stuttering on all servers. Not in singleplayer. Turning off vsync seemed to help a bit but not much. What i am also experiencing is black squares in groundtextures. They are like 1 square kilometer big and switch from broken to correct when zooming in. My graphiscard is watercooled and NOT overclocked.
This is no good for the already small playerbase. I think this game cannot afford loosing customers. I hope neoqb thinks like that and hotfixes quickly!

Winger

well lag an warping are less for me….only microstutters…and sometimes are really barely noticable…

#60 AgentX20

AgentX20

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:07

1.011 was unplayable for me on my C2D E8500, ATI4890, Win7-64bit setup.

1.012 is just as bad. All settings to minimum (fullscreen, 1920x1200) and a 3 on 3 quick battle is unplayable. Antivirus turned off. Nothing much else running. No TIR or force feedback. It just stutters and jumps and is just not smooth at all.

No more plane buying for me… ROF is now a pale shadow of what it was when launched performance-wise. Back to Flaming Cliffs 2.

#61 AgentX20

AgentX20

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:49

1.011 was unplayable for me on my C2D E8500, ATI4890, Win7-64bit setup.

1.012 is just as bad. All settings to minimum (fullscreen, 1920x1200) and a 3 on 3 quick battle is unplayable. Antivirus turned off. Nothing much else running. No TIR or force feedback. It just stutters and jumps and is just not smooth at all.

No more plane buying for me… ROF is now a pale shadow of what it was when launched performance-wise. Back to Flaming Cliffs 2.

Ok I take some of that back - I discovered I had FSAA set on my video card which is a guaranteed way to get the stutters. I've turned it off and it is better. But 3 on 3 is still too much for my poor C2D and I still get stutters. Less severe for sure but it's as though the game is sort of lurching along - every now and again it seems to "take a breath".

#62 speno775

speno775

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:53

Your hardware is not the greatest dude it seems like that dualcore is running on its knees you need a quad ;)

#63 Arrowhead2k9

Arrowhead2k9

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:59

Your hardware is not the greatest dude it seems like that dualcore is running on its knees you need a quad ;)

I have a quad. It's the same nonsense. It was working splendidly before the patch. I'm sick of hearing excuses about this and that. I just need this to be fixed and work the way it did last weekend!

Oh and 1.011 did break for me and introduce stuttering. I had to downgrade my drivers to Nvidia 185.85. Now it's broken again. Ugh!

#64 AgentX20

AgentX20

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:10

Yes I know… I do appreciate that a quad core is essentially mandatory for RoF. I guess I still can't quite fathom why 6.4GHz of horsepower isn't enough so I still live in hope. Also earlier versions did run better and I could run small furballs without too many hassles.

I'm off the hardware upgrade rat race. I'm not prepared to splash out on an i7, RAM and mobo because one title won't run well from one patch to the next. Even socket 775 quad cores are still mighty expensive here in New Zealand. Family and house commitments take priorities these days.

#65 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:17

Well obviously you haven't read throught the thread. My hardware wasn't running on its knees, RoF run SMOOTHLY before the update, so please stop suggesting that my PC is the culprit.

#66 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:20

Try uninstalling the 2008 version of Visual C++. Then install the C++ from the ROF disk/folder (vcredist.exe).

Good idea, but no joy :(

However, I seem to have a few 2008 versions too. Is it normal? Do I have to uninstall them? Won't it screw up my windows?

Attached File  Untitled.jpg   428.24KB   266 downloads

Imp, that's very kind of you, if you pedal here and fix my game I'll buy you free beer for life :lol:
I've tried unplugging all my usb stuff but the stutters didn't disappear.

Please note that I have these in ALL game modes! MP, SP, Quick mission, mods on off, log in online/offline….

#67 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:48

If that's your girlfriend on your screensaver Greg, I'll pedal over from the UK to offer moral support.. :P

I've lost a little smoothness when flying below about 30 feet.. It's as if the game is maxing out my computer - but I never had that pre-patch.. Was all smooth as silk :?

It's not exactly stuttering, but is a bit off putting.. This in addition to my shimmering (still waiting for any help on this?) .. :cry:

http://riseofflight....php?f=49&t=9394">viewtopic.php?f=49&t=9394

#68 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:55

Looks like I have a few of those as well :roll:
Attached File  software.jpg   154.87KB   236 downloads

Have you disabled PhysX btw, greg?

#69 1/JSpan_PESO

1/JSpan_PESO

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:00

Question….someone said in this thread that installing rof in a SSD card improves performance??.What kind of SSD card is needed?Performance is better than running from hard drive?.Please explanations for that, i want to improve performance of ROF.I mean just installing in a SSD memory card?.Waiting for replay.Salute.

#70 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:14

Maybe you should ask bolt for the same words of encouragemnt he gave me in the thread "fix your dam game" Since last update my game has worked fine. It must be something to do about flapping your gums or something.

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#71 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:26

Question….someone said in this thread that installing rof in a SSD card improves performance??.What kind of SSD card is needed?Performance is better than running from hard drive?.Please explanations for that, i want to improve performance of ROF.I mean just installing in a SSD memory card?.Waiting for replay.Salute.

The only improvement should be in loading times and if you actually access your swap file during the game, which does not happen for me with 4GB of ram.

#72 1/JSpan_PESO

1/JSpan_PESO

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:49

Need to know if installation should be done in a sd card or in a ssd hard drive based.THX and waiting for reply…

#73 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:56

As one aussie to another, can you say what type you bought? I'm also wondering if a nerd stick configured for Readyboost would have a benefit on RoF. My PC is a bit light on ram. :cry:

#74 MattM

MattM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 13:19

However, I seem to have a few 2008 versions too. Is it normal? Do I have to uninstall them? Won't it screw up my windows?
Uninstall all of them, also the 2005 version. Then reinstall the 2005 version. That fixed stuttering for me.

Too make sure if you really uninstalled all, try to run ROF after uninstalling. If it launches with no problem, then there's still a C++ version around.

Then run in normal mode, no compatibility mode.

#75 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 02 May 2010 - 15:50

Uninstall all of them, also the 2005 version. Then reinstall the 2005 version. That fixed stuttering for me.

Too make sure if you really uninstalled all, try to run ROF after uninstalling. If it launches with no problem, then there's still a C++ version around.

Then run in normal mode, no compatibility mode.

Thanks MAtt, will do it! (My last hope)

#76 taleks2

taleks2

Posted 02 May 2010 - 16:13

Reflected, may you also compress and attach data/packman.log?

Just to be sure it's no reading operations on package level are related (to be more accurate, no big amount of locks per package for several threads). I think main culprit for you is file reading (as graphics/audio/input/network seems unrelated, but game files are locked during defragmentation by some process).

#77 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 02 May 2010 - 19:36

MATT, I LOVE YOU!

I uninstalled every version of Microsoft C++++ visual bullshit, then installed the one fro mthe DVD, and RoF is back to normal!!!!!!

Thank you guys for not giving up on me!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

#78 Pimpin

Pimpin

Posted 02 May 2010 - 20:13

Brilliant Greg! Now you can enjoy the update,and get shot down a lot! :lol:

#79 MattM

MattM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 21:49

MATT, I LOVE YOU!

I uninstalled every version of Microsoft C++++ visual bullshit, then installed the one fro mthe DVD, and RoF is back to normal!!!!!!
You're welcome. :D

#80 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 02 May 2010 - 21:51

Great! That's awesome news! Good to have you back :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users