Photo
- - - - -

Re: 1.012 - STUTTERS! - SOLVED (KINDA)!

• Please log in to reply
237 replies to this topic

#1 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 30 April 2010 - 21:30

Guys, I've spent a LOT of money on this sim, only to end my fun with this damn update. It used to run perfectly before the update. (win7 64, c2d 2.66, 9800GT 1GB, 4 G RAM)
Now my game runs smoothly the 60% of times, but quite randomly I get micro freezes, stutters without the stuttery sound. kinda like lagging… :( :( :(

regardless where I turn my head, are there cities nearby, weather SP, MP, mods on / off etc…

What didn't help:
-reinstalling the game
-uninstalling the skinpack
-reinstalling the skinpack as an admin
-reg.cleaner
-unplugging the stick
-disabling FFB
-turning my settings even lower
-messing with my connection settings

NO JOY!

Maybe the more planes are around the more stuttery it gets, but I'm not sure. Also, the ground textures load funny (the higher res version pops in after I look there) - this is the only thing I've been able to figure out.

NeoQB, I want my 1.011 game back!

Video:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=AXlWX3N4br8">

#2 TX-Gunslinger

TX-Gunslinger

Posted 30 April 2010 - 21:50

Ok, here's my really dumb question….. just bear with me,

Do you have "Shake in cockpit" off? If you have played with this setting, does it change anything at all, i.e. make the stuttering worse?

Thanks, I feel for you,

S!

Gunny

#3 Durrbar

Durrbar

Posted 30 April 2010 - 21:55

I have exactly same problem … Vista 32, C2D E6750, 4 GB RAM, ATI 5850 …
game runs smooth in 1.011

#4 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 01 May 2010 - 00:35

Guys, I've spent a LOT of money on this sim, only to end my fun with this damn update. It used to run perfectly before the update. (win7 64, c2d 2.66, 9800GT 1GB, 4 G RAM)
Now my game runs smoothly the 60% of times, but quite randomly I get micro freezes, stutters without the stuttery sound. kinda like lagging… :( :( :(

regardless where I turn my head, are there cities nearby, weather SP, MP, mods on / off etc…

What didn't help:
-reinstalling the game
-uninstalling the skinpack
-reinstalling the skinpack as an admin
-reg.cleaner
-unplugging the stick
-disabling FFB
-turning my settings even lower
-messing with my connection settings

NO JOY!

Maybe the more planes are around the more stuttery it gets, but I'm not sure. Also, the ground textures load funny (the higher res version pops in after I look there) - this is the only thing I've been able to figure out.

NeoQB, I want my 1.011 game back!

Reflected, as I learned, for your c2duo and ur gpu better choice would be Win XP SP3 32bit and for i7 quad and never GPUs would be better with Win7 64bit…I know you didnt have stutters in v1.11 but I dunno what to say…..I have occasional very short stutters online on server with more planes but I gues these are happening for all onliners…Do you have stutters offline too?

#5 Arrowhead2k9

Arrowhead2k9

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:39

I'm stuttering really bad in multiplayer since this update. Every 2 seconds microstutter! Completely unplayable. It was fine just the other night. I'm very disappointed right now…

#6 musicman

musicman

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:37

Thought I would re post this here because I am not happy with this update. All was OK till now….

Been playing a bit and now almost at the end of every mission, (SP), I CTD! This is right after missions and before it can go back to the in game menus.
I look in my event viewer and find ntdll.dll errors.
My graphics have always been good before and are still good.
Why is it that every patch fixes some and ruins others?
It bothers me……
I've had no stinkys till now.

#7 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:34

My RoF is running great caused by the update :P if you are facing problems caused by the update, why not going back to 1.011, should be possible now?

On the other-hand I always had to re-adjust my settings after each update, because of the problems. Why not start at the lowest settings and then do the adjustments for optimizing.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#8 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:57

Guys, thanks for the replies.

Yes, it stutters in all game modes.
No, I won't install a new OS and I won't buy new hardware. It ran smooth with 1.011.
Yes, I have tried to lower the settings to the minimum, it doesn't change a thing.
Yes, I have turned "shake in cockpit" off. No joy.

:( :( :( :(

#9 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:01

How is your CPU load during the game,
What CPU do you have???
What Vcard??
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#10 Zwarteziel

Zwarteziel

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:12

I too experienced stuttering in this version until I read TX-Gunslinger's tip to turn off the 'Shake in cockpit'. Tested it with Fraps and get a smooth 43-60 framerate once more. Reflected, do you have a lot of services running in the background? (like your virus-scanner or a P2P-client etc.?)

#11 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:15

Not many background apps, yes, I have shake in cockpit off, and as I've said I have a c2d 2.66 and a 9800GT 1G, but 1.011 ran perfectly on it. I won't go and buy another PC just to check if my current rig became outdated during that 2 minutes of patching the game :(

#12 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:46

There's a bit less stuttering when there aren't many planes around (1 vs 1), and maybe if there are no big cities around. It can also be placebo because the stutters come and go with no rhyme or reason.

None of these things caused me ANY problems with 1.011!

Updating my dx and reinstalling the 3rd party apps didn't help either. Nor did setting RoF.exe's priority to "above normal".

This game is a damn russian roulette. I lost this month. Bye bye RoF, I can't wait for SOW, maybe the devs will do a proper job there. :evil: :( :( :(

#13 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:50

Come on I had this each update, don't give that quickly, what is your
CPU and Vcard and your CPUload

#14 Pimpin

Pimpin

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:11

Long shot I know but,have you tried a different video driver?

#15 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:14

80% CPU load 2,66 c2d + 9800 GT 1GB.

No I haven't tried a new video driver, but nothing went wrong with kmy PC just because I updated a game. 1.011 ran fine right before the update.

#16 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:21

Sorry to hear that Greg.. I know it's sooo frustrating having an issue like that :? I had an intermittent fault on my new computer when I first got it, kept freezing up during RoF - lasted for 4 months until they changed it for me.. But it just about did my head in! :(

I've got the shimmers back with this update.. And it's so disappointing. I'm sure it's just a tweak required in my settings- but I haven't found it yet.. It's odd that every update seems to bring these individual issues..

Anyway, hope you sort it out matey :roll: Don't give up on the game!!

#17 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:55

with all the experience we have now im almost sure there is a problem with how this game updates (for some) and what it does to current installation….strangež

would be interesting to see manual update option…just copy and replace method…then maybe problems would be solved for some…dunno

#18 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:59

Yeah, well if something works, and then 10 minutes later it doesn't, it's pretty obvious that the culprit is what happened during that 10 minutes: THE UPDATE!

#19 ZaltysZ

ZaltysZ

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:00

Do you have any skins installed? If so, try without them.

#20 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:10

Well I have to say, I knew when I ran the 1.007 demo back in October that my 2.66Ghz E8200 I had at that time was too weak so you must have seen the signs as well.
The Q9550 I upgraded to prior to purchasing ROF, which had been updated to 1.008 in the mean time, was 170-180€ back then, now it is at 230€ :?

You can always run the restore feature btw, no need to reinstall it every time.

You could also run defrag and see if it helps, the stuttering might merely be an issue with looading and swapping stuff.

Only playing with default skins might also help of course.

#21 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:14

Further things that didn't help:
- XP SP3 comp mode
- defragging
- "recover" button
- tuning the settings all the way down

I'm saving my money for a new rig for SOW. Maybe that will be handle these russian roulette updates, but I guess I'll be busy playing SoW…

I refuse to accept that it's my PC. RoF ran PERFECTLY before the update.

#22 =J99=Sizzlorr

=J99=Sizzlorr

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:33

Reflected try to modify your startup.config and make sure that your turn off the post effects completly by setting the value of this line to zero "post_effects_enable = 0" hope this helps!

yedwwtfx.gif

#23 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:38

Reflected try to modify your startup.config and make sure that your turn off the post effects completly by setting the value of this line to zero "post_effects_enable = 0" hope this helps!

Thanks, but it didn't help.

#24 =J99=Sizzlorr

=J99=Sizzlorr

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:43

What are your ingame graphic settings?

yedwwtfx.gif

#25 taleks2

taleks2

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:01

with all the experience we have now im almost sure there is a problem with how this game updates (for some) and what it does to current installation….strangež
That's not problem, related to updating.
Updating process - in brief - is just downloading of files and replacement of old files with newer versions. There is no magic here.
There are no changes in 3rd party software performed, no registry changes and in game settings except startup.cfg and snapviews.

I can't see OS, video driver details of topic starter and all game settings (may be you will attach startup.cfg, excluding your login information of course?).

Theoretically, there may be stutters, not related to graphics (not fully loaded cpu is sign of graphics, input, hdd reading or audio related stutters).

1. If you use your own input settings, try to backup yours settings and use defaults.
2. new updater starts game with current user privileges, previous version started game with Administrator privileges. Try to start rof.exe directly with Administrator privileges.
3. if you're using driver profile for rof.exe, you may need to recreate it.
4. try to set CPU affinity mask for rof.exe process (assign all CPUs to it) during execution. Sometimes it helps.
5. reduce audio settings - in ideal case switch off sound card - and check if it helps.
6. try to switch off fullscreen mode and try in windowed mode.
7. switch off antiviral tools if any, for test without it.
8. try to play in offline mode. May be I missed it, but it seems you've not tried game in offline mode?

#26 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:50

Well, maybe nvidia released new video drivers in the meantime and the update is made to work with them more than the old ones? Definitely try updating your drivers.

Also, you used to have trouble with TrackIR in Windows 7, didn't you? Might that problem have returned?

#27 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:54

No it's not the same problem.

I ran another defrag program, and I got this:

Attached File  Untitled.jpg   247.52KB   292 downloads

hmm….

#28 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:59

After defragmenting after restart 5 of the above were defragmented, but I can't defragment the graphics4.gtp, mat.dat and missions whatever file.

#29 4S_Nero

4S_Nero

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:21

Hi Reflected.

After each patch RoF is running better. I suffered stuttering only at first. It seems that the nVidia control panel preferences overwrite the game preferences. Try to set a unique profile for RoF respecting the preferences you have in the game. Like this:

VERY IMPORTANT: disable VSinc in nVidia control panel

I hope this can help you.

My PC:
Intel Core i5 "LYNNFIELD" 750/GigaByte P55-UD4/Corsair XMS3 DDR3 4G 1600 CL8/Palit GTX275/LC Power Hyperon 700W v2.2/Noctua NH-U9B/Iiyama ProLite E2003WS

#30 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:31

Try moving the files to a different partion/drive and back again. 40-50 fragments is pretty severe and definetly explains the stuttering if your hdd has to move around your disk seeking and reading. And even if that is not an issue it will definitely speed up loading times 10 fold.

#31 taleks2

taleks2

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:41

After defragmenting after restart 5 of the above were defragmented, but I can't defragment the graphics4.gtp, mat.dat and missions whatever file.
Interesting, who are using RoF files while game is not started…

#32 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:53

I reinstalled the game, defragmented, still stutters. Wll, maybe a little bit less, but I can't tell…Now I'm doing an optimization too, maybe that helps. If not, I'll try to disable the sound. Then I'm out of ideas.

#33 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 01 May 2010 - 13:03

Possible solutions:

http://www.hellequin...hp?p=5545#p5545">http://www.hellequin...t/forums/viewto … 5545#p5545

and
http://riseofflight....=104018#p104018">viewtopic.php?f=128&t=9445&p=104018#p104018

(basically same topic for those wondering what is going on)

#34 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 01 May 2010 - 13:06

Reinstall with complete defrag - no joy
disabling sound - no joy

#35 taleks2

taleks2

Posted 01 May 2010 - 13:09

Well, may you post startup.cfg? I've asked it in previous post cause Settings sometimes writes default values to this config, which may be bad in terms of performance as well (at least there was such situation during beta-test about month ago).

Have you tried to run rof.exe directly skipping settings and updater (with Administrators privileges)?

And locked files during fragmentation - I bet - are due antiviral software as I don't know any other software that may be interested in huge binary non executable files. If it messes with files during defragmentation - it may mess with it during game till it will scan it all and mark as clean.

#36 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 01 May 2010 - 13:39

Well, may you post startup.cfg? I've asked it in previous post cause Settings sometimes writes default values to this config, which may be bad in terms of performance as well (at least there was such situation during beta-test about month ago).

Have you tried to run rof.exe directly skipping settings and updater (with Administrators privileges)?

And locked files during fragmentation - I bet - are due antiviral software as I don't know any other software that may be interested in huge binary non executable files. If it messes with files during defragmentation - it may mess with it during game till it will scan it all and mark as clean.

D/Games is an exception in my AVG file scan. Yes, I've tried to run Rof.exe directly as an admin. My config file:

[END]

[KEY = camera]
shake = 0
[END]

[KEY = graphics]
filter = 3
forest_distance = 2
forest_quality = 1
full_height = 1024
full_width = 1280
fullscreen = 1
gamma_b = 1.00000
gamma_g = 1.00000
gamma_r = 1.00000
grass_quality = 4
land_textures = 1
landscape_mesh_quality = 1.00000
multisampling = 2
post_bloom_enable = 0
post_dof_enable = 0
post_drops_enable = 1
post_effects_enable = 1
post_hdr = 0
reflection = 1
saturation = 0.75000
shadows_quality = 1
texmipdown = 0
vsync = 0
win_height = 1024
win_width = 1280
[END]

[KEY = input]
input_map = "reflected.map"
[END]

[KEY = interface]
language = "eng"
showcompas = 1
showicons = 1
withdebug = 0
[END]

[KEY = iservice]
proxy_name = "fokker.neoqb.com:443;albatros.neoqb.com;breguet.neoqb.com"
register_url = "http://riseofflight....istration.aspx";
server_debug = ""
try_ping = 0
try_web_port = 1
use_proxy = 1
[END]

[KEY = network]
client_download_traflimit = 10000
client_ip = ""
client_upload_traflimit = 10000
downloader_port = 28100
server_download_traflimit = 10000
server_upload_traflimit = 10000
tcp_port = 28000
udp_port = 28000
[END]

[KEY = sound]
count = 32
interface = 1
quality = 1
volume = 0.68000
[END]

[KEY = system]
debug_info = 0
gamelog = 1
keep_binary_log = 0
mission_text_log = 0
modes = 0
skin_dir = "graphics\Skins\"
[END]

#37 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 01 May 2010 - 13:44

Seems a very plausible explaination though for your stuttering if the virus scanner was running in the background (cpu usage) and throttling your hdd ontop of that.

You did make the exception "D:\Games" though right? Since the inability to access the files does seem a lot like they are being scanned.

Have you tried moving the files to a different drive and back again, assuming you have a second hdd.

#38 taleks2

taleks2

Posted 01 May 2010 - 13:51

Hm,

what if you manually change in startup.cfg these ones:

post_drops_enable = 1
post_effects_enable = 1
reflection = 1

to

post_drops_enable = 0
post_effects_enable = 0
reflection = 0

and start game via rof.exe, but not via settings or updater utility?

Also, in earlier versions of game there was problem with icons, so, maybe this is also needs to be set to 0 :

showcompas = 1
showicons = 1

Other options seems quite normal to me.

#39 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 01 May 2010 - 13:52

Guys, it's not his PC or anything else under his control. The update has actually caused stutters for me too, which is insane because 1) I have a 4GHz quad core and Radeon 5870 and 2) I never saw this during beta testing – performance was actually improved for me during 1.012 closed and open beta.

I'll report this in the beta test forum and see what we can find out. Sorry, Reflected. I'm in the same boat as you right now. Maybe they just don't want us SE5a jocks partaking in dogfight ;)

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#40 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 01 May 2010 - 13:56

Taleks, how intensive on cpu and gpu respectively is

landscape_mesh_quality = 1.00000

?

I always used to use a very low value just to be on the safe side.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users