Photo
- - - - -

ATI HD5870 & Shimmering back..Help please?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 TX-Gunslinger

TX-Gunslinger

Posted 04 May 2010 - 19:43

So, we have something here…..

I have Vista 64 and XP dual
Kirock has Win 7 and XP dual
Gisbod has Win 7

All major systems represented.

Kirock, I think it would be great for you to test over on your Win 7 side :)

I'm still at work for a few more hours…

S!

Gunny

#42 kirock7

kirock7

Posted 04 May 2010 - 21:37

So, we have something here…..

I have Vista 64 and XP dual
Kirock has Win 7 and XP dual
Gisbod has Win 7

All major systems represented.

Kirock, I think it would be great for you to test over on your Win 7 side :)

I'm still at work for a few more hours…

S!

Gunny

I just got home. Sat down with a cool one and discovered I had to install a truck load of Win7 updates (at first it said my OS was invalid!). Then on to the ATI CCC and new driver. That's done and now I'm on to the second libation while RoF updates (1287 Mb) :D
I may be well lit by the time I get to fly! LOL!

#43 kirock7

kirock7

Posted 04 May 2010 - 23:39

Update: RoF on my system, plugged into Windows7, plays smooth as butter and looks great. The vestiges of the shimmering are still off in the distance once in a while (I'm sure it depends on altitude and location) and too be honest it looks a lot like it did in WinXP, but I still haven't loaded FRAPS to get a frame rate and I haven't done ANY optimization… but I can say this… no stuttering or CTD's (although I need to play more to confirm this) at this time.
So the mystery deepens. :D

Edit: I'm beginning to think Windows7 may look slightly better!
Once I get FRAPS over here, I'll put up a flick.

#44 TX-Gunslinger

TX-Gunslinger

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:53

That's interesting, in that I think my Vista ROF is a little better looking than my XP.

Never thought about it that much before. Maybe I'll look through the huge piles of screen snaps and see if I can find something to compare in the same settings..

I test XP/Vista 64 back to back on large releases. There is never much difference in Frames when things are working correctly in ROF - and I know this release was very close in FPS between these operating systems.

Gisbod, when you've installed different CCC's on your system, have you ever used DriverCleaner.net or other driver cleaning software?

S!

Gunny

#45 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 05 May 2010 - 03:12

In case you all dont know Gigabyte has released a new bios for their 5870 if you all are running gigabytes. it has made a difference for me, not so much in gameplay but other areas.

#46 TX-Gunslinger

TX-Gunslinger

Posted 05 May 2010 - 03:59

Viper, I don't have a Gigabyte, I have a Sapphire HD 5870. Can you say more about what Gigabyte bios upgrade does?

Thanks

Gunny

#47 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:45

Gisbod, when you've installed different CCC's on your system, have you ever used DriverCleaner.net or other driver cleaning software?

S!

Gunny

No, should I have done? I can try that later if it may help.. ;)

#48 Sage

Sage

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:43

Sorry, I have a 4850 and don't use the CCC :( afraid I can't be of help myself.

Other than advising you to get rid of CCC :)

what the heck is CCC? are you talking about catalyst control center. thats not going to effect performance,

#49 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:50

what the heck is CCC?

Catalyst control Center . ATI's graphics control software

#50 Sage

Sage

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:18

what the heck is CCC?

would that really effect performance if you dont install that? never though of doing that, I dont have any problems, I have ATi as well, no problems here,

#51 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:30

It automatically installs for me.. It's the default ATI toolbox for the GPU's

#52 kirock7

kirock7

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:33

what the heck is CCC?

would that really effect performance if you dont install that? never though of doing that, I dont have any problems, I have ATi as well, no problems here,

It gives you a modicum of control on top of what your applications supply.
Visually, you can really see the difference in some games.

#53 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 05 May 2010 - 13:17

The Gigabyte update was to fix a voltage problem on their board. I like alot of people who bought the gigabyte version couldnt watch movies in WMP as it would lock the computer up and reset. Mine even whent so far as to reset my bios it crashed so hard. people were flashing their gigabyte boards with a saphire bios so you should be in good shape. I supposed it was the wrong time to interject that I was more pointing out to gigabyte 5870 owners, sorry for the confusion.

#54 TX-Gunslinger

TX-Gunslinger

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:24

Thanks Viper, no prob, that is very good info to have on the forums.

I heard today at work, that a developer was having difficulty with software installation with respect to the latest DirectX.

Since ROF is DX 9, you might think that new DX does not matter but it does. One thing we might all do is ensure we have the latest DirectX tested.

Do any of you know how to check the version of DirectX on your systems?

Might help us to know who has what.

S!

Gunny

#55 TX-Gunslinger

TX-Gunslinger

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:27

S!

Gunny

No, should I have done? I can try that later if it may help.. ;)

So I imagine you have many CCC installs/uninstalls. While I find the ATI CCC fairly clean (as compared to the last 5 years of Nvidea stuff), you might benefit from deinstalling the current CCC and all ATI software, run a Driver Cleaner with "ATI" selected for cleaning. Then, after reboot and startup of Win generic drivers - running, reinstall the CCC and ATI software.

S!

Gunny

#56 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:29

Isnt the version of Direct X you are running displayed in your DXdiag runout?

#57 TX-Gunslinger

TX-Gunslinger

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:40

Mine says only "DirectX 11"

I just installed this update (which contains DX9 updates as well)… I'll let you know if anything wierd happens… Update is dated Feb 2010 - Seems I did not have it.. because it updated a lot of files.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=0cef8180-e94a-4f56-b157-5ab8109cb4f5

S!

Gunny

#58 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:02

Will try as you suggested.. ;)

Would it be worth uninstalling some of these, and if so, which ones?

Attached File  1.PNG   35.67KB   395 downloads

#59 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:03

ps.. How do we know which version of DX is currently running?

#60 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:07

pps.. :roll:

Is this the latest version, and would it benefit to install this instead or as well as the one you listed Gunny?

Attached File  3.PNG   27.41KB   394 downloads

EDIT.. Sorry realised it's the same file..

#61 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:19

Whilst I'm on a roll.. :D

This any good? It says free.. but ends up costing £19.95! Haven't purchased yet..

Attached File  4.PNG   173.34KB   508 downloads

Attached File  5.PNG   71.09KB   509 downloads

Attached File  6.PNG   88.42KB   508 downloads

#62 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 06 May 2010 - 13:31

I never buy that 3rd party crap. Of course their free testing program will find all kinds of things, it wants you to buy them. If you have enough registry errors you need to buy a program to fix, your hard drive is going south anyway.

#63 kirock7

kirock7

Posted 06 May 2010 - 17:47

Update: RoF on my system, plugged into Windows7, plays smooth as butter and looks great. The vestiges of the shimmering are still off in the distance once in a while (I'm sure it depends on altitude and location) and too be honest it looks a lot like it did in WinXP, but I still haven't loaded FRAPS to get a frame rate and I haven't done ANY optimization… but I can say this… no stuttering or CTD's (although I need to play more to confirm this) at this time.
So the mystery deepens. :D

Edit: I'm beginning to think Windows7 may look slightly better!
Once I get FRAPS over here, I'll put up a flick.

I've got everything installed in my dual boot box on the Win7 side now (skin pack, Freetrack, FRAPS, Mission Generator, etc.) Haven't made a movie yet because of life around the house pulling me away… (my tomatoes and peppers are growing out of control!!) but I did have my first BSOD playing on the Win7 (Ultimate) side last night. Shook me up! I have never had a crash with RoF on the WinXP side… I wonder what the difference could be other than something in the OS (all the hardware is of course exactly the same!)

Note: My Q9550 should be here tomorrow or Saturday and I'll be ramping up to quad core! Can't wait!
This will be the last upgrade for my old 775 board, but it should be good for another year (I can't wait to try Adobe's CS4 on it! Should be rendering heaven!!)

#64 TX-Gunslinger

TX-Gunslinger

Posted 07 May 2010 - 14:38

Kirock,

If you keep getting CTD's - try medium landscape and see how that works…

S!

Gunny

#65 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 07 May 2010 - 14:44

Hi Gunny,

What about the clean up program I posted earlier? Any good or would Drivercleaner be better?

I'm not convinced either would help though? Just because it was the patch that brought on my shimmers (with 10.3 and then upgraded to 10.4 to see if it helped - but to no effect). Not that I claim to know either way!! :oops:

#66 TX-Gunslinger

TX-Gunslinger

Posted 07 May 2010 - 14:53

I'd hold off Gisbod on anything until I can finish testing tonight.

I need to understand what's knocking frames down before I go back to shimmering - only because I can only test one thing at a time.

As I was testing last night - I noticed my own shimmering was a little worse.

Maybe something did happen in the code between the last beta I tested and the release. I hope not.

In that case Gisbod, you may have just been correct all along, and there may not be anything we can do till the next update. We need to see Kirocks tests to confirm also.

More tonight.

S!

Gunny

#67 TX-Gunslinger

TX-Gunslinger

Posted 07 May 2010 - 15:13

Just for now, we need a way to describe various levels of shimmering. I've always noticed that it occurs in "range bands" - i.e. range from you cockpit, out into the distance.

Shimmering Level 1 would be a single "line" of shimmering

Shimmering Level 2 would be two seperate "lines or bands" of shimmering

Shimmering Level 3 would be more than two "lines or bands" of shimmering

I found some settings last night that produced only a single weak band of shimmering that was noticiable, but not too bad.

I'm finding, at least on my system - that previous settings which eliminated shimmering before, were very low frames.

What do you guys think about describing shimmering in the above contexts so we can at least understand exactly what is meant by "Horrible" or "Slight"?

Any ideas?

I'm off to work,

S!

Guny

#68 kirock7

kirock7

Posted 07 May 2010 - 15:33

New CPU and PS are finally here and will be backing up, flashing bios and installing all my stuff over night (why do I have so much stuff in that box!! :-))
Then I'll be able to do some more shimmer/settings testing.

BTW I like the single line/multiple line description… and Tex, I was on Med landscape when she blued on me… go figure.

#69 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 07 May 2010 - 16:29

Re. shimmering -

I really can't see if I have bands or not! For me its just everything mid to far distance - I've just tried reducing the load on my 5870 to about 36%, by altering the settings, (normally runs at about 80%), but just as bad if not worse. Ironically, it's best for me with everything maxed out and HDR on the mono high setting!

In cockpit, I would describe the shimmers as slight but external views are much worse - I would rate those as horrible!

Completely goes above 4000' and gets progressively worse as I descend from that. If I set up a high altitude dogfight in the QMB - it's awesome.. How I had it pre patch..

Screenshots don't really show the problem as it relates to movement, and I haven't got the capability to upload videos.. :oops:

#70 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:53

Whilst I'm on a roll.. :D

This any good? It says free.. but ends up costing £19.95! Haven't purchased yet..
WARNING WARNING!!!!
Did this on something like XP tweak or tweaking XP free/tryware, but after this junk software, I had to do a complete reinstall of my HD, RoF was unplayable. If you want to try this, do a complete backup and make a system restore point before downloading this!!!!

Try Ccleaner or Eusing they are safe and free!!!
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#71 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:07

Thanks Dutch,

I'm holding off anyway! ;)

#72 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:15

Baffling. You could try altering the AA advanced filter sample setting in CCC. Mine's set to 'box' but other settings are worth investigating in the drop-down box.
S!

#73 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:20

Just out of interest, I thought my card was a Sapphire, but it's an XFX HD 5870..

Don't know if that makes any difference?

Attached File  1.PNG   29.42KB   558 downloads

These are the current (default) settings…

Attached File  1.PNG   87.87KB   555 downloads

#74 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:21

Thanks Pigsty..

But I think I've tried every combination of the settings!! :(

#75 kirock7

kirock7

Posted 08 May 2010 - 13:15

Morning' guys! (Well, it's morning in Texas!)

I put my new PS and Q9550 in last night. Had some problem with the dang plastic pushpins on my Artic Pro 7 being deformed/smushed/broken/wornout… eventually I broke apart the Intel fan/cooler and used those pins… it worked perfectly. (Initial testing looks like 39-41 idle, 48-51 under load).

I've been playing this morning and trying some different settings… I have to be honest though… I'm not seeing a big difference between my old E8400 and this new quad core as far as shimmers goes (After Effects works like a whirlwind now though!)
I don't plan on OC'ing until it's cooked for a while so I'm still sitting at stock settings, but I did OC the HD5770 again though.
I do have to say that RoF looks a little better on the Win7 64bit side than it does on the Winxp 32 partition. Wonder why that would be?

BTW I'm using the Radeon 10.4 drivers for each particular OS.
How's your testing going on that driver, Tex?

I still need to button up and cable wrap a few things, but I hope to put up some comparison videos this weekend.
More later. :P

#76 kirock7

kirock7

Posted 08 May 2010 - 22:12

Quick update on the new quadcore;
RoF actually does look and play better and smoother (on WinXP or Win7 it's really a toss up)… the shimmering is minimal and it really depends on altitude and position and if noticed is usually fleeting.

One thing I've found that just blows me away is the fact that I can play RoF at my regular settings and at hit the same framerates when simultaneously I'm running my GV-800 security card and recording (streaming) 4 cameras (30fps 640x480 avi's) to an internal RAID. I used to have to turn off the security system to play… not anymore! Nice perk. :D

If the shimmers and some other graphical issues are corrected in an upcoming patch (the twisting/turning trees, the odd cloud movement, etc.) that would be awesome… and would be a good step towards making the graphics as good as most of us would like to see them. That would be the ultimate eye candy!

#77 speno775

speno775

Posted 10 May 2010 - 23:47

All im saying is its bad coding the shimmering is too much for me. And its not are problem so y do we have to fix it. Ive played every top pc title in the last 5 years. letts talk about grand theift auto 4 look at that runns sweet on my pc lovely no shimmer and there is more going on in that game than rise of flight. cpu breaking game imo. if i was to buy the best pc hardware on the market it would still shimmer and stutter like crap. because its bad coding. I play flamming cliffs 2 look at the landscape on that game in relation to rise of flight perfect.and no stutter.arma2 another very demanding game alot more going on in that game and the horizon is smooth i could go on and on game after game. shattered horizon one of the most demanding games out at the mo and my pc runns it smooth . dont waste your money on pc hardware cos it aint are fault.Im not flamming rise of flight cos i still love it but i will wait untill thay fix this cos i cant play like it is. :|

#78 speno775

speno775

Posted 10 May 2010 - 23:58

And another thing hd5870 is a dx11 card so u would think it would eat any dx9 games for breakfast i have a hd4890 and i get more fps playing shattered horizon than i do playing rise of flight and thats a dx10 game so talk me though that. Shattered horizon being the benchmark of all pc hardware at mo

#79 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:16

If the shimmers and some other graphical issues are corrected in an upcoming patch (the twisting/turning trees, the odd cloud movement, etc.) that would be awesome… and would be a good step towards making the graphics as good as most of us would like to see them. That would be the ultimate eye candy!

Kirock: You're absolutely spot on there! ;)

The twisting trees and stuttering clouds (and shimmers of course!) really distract from the experience somehow.. I know it's only minor stuff in the big scale of things - But for me, they keep drawing my eye to the fact I'm playing a computer game - It somehow loses immersion - without those, I'd be lost in the Sim and be convinced I was actually there! :lol: The graphics in this game are absolutely stunning - and that's why these little issues stand out.. :geek:

#80 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 31 July 2010 - 18:36

Hi, Gisbod contact this guy for more info about his adjustments Fixed my shimmering. On ATI Card
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users