Photo
- - - - -

OC question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 25 April 2010 - 00:19

This is a general overclock question, but I thought I'd ask my wingman buddies before going to an OC forum.

I have the Phenom II 945. It has a Phenom 965 heatsink and fan (long story)

I looked in the BIOS and saw that I can use the simple O/C function to up the reference clock by 3%, 5% , 7%.

I thought as an overclock noob , this might be a good way to start to understand it all.

I pushed it up to 3% and tested with Occt, and Prime , and monitored with Everest aswell as the Occt program.

All the temps seemed fine under load , ie. 50C max.

My question is, does increasing this reference clock add heat to the RAM and the North bridge ?

I could get a better CPU cooler but these won't cool the RAM and NB as I see it.

Any advice welcome.

#2 Chaos

Chaos

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:25

This is a general overclock question, but I thought I'd ask my wingman buddies before going to an OC forum.

I have the Phenom II 945. It has a Phenom 965 heatsink and fan (long story)

I looked in the BIOS and saw that I can use the simple O/C function to up the reference clock by 3%, 5% , 7%.

I thought as an overclock noob , this might be a good way to start to understand it all.

I pushed it up to 3% and tested with Occt, and Prime , and monitored with Everest aswell as the Occt program.

All the temps seemed fine under load , ie. 50C max.

My question is, does increasing this reference clock add heat to the RAM and the North bridge ?

I could get a better CPU cooler but these won't cool the RAM and NB as I see it.

Any advice welcome.

Don't worry about NB or Ram temps at such low over-clocks. And it pays to learn how to over-clock manually, understand each variable you are changing. Google your motherboard, and google your CPU to get an idea of what you can achieve.

#3 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:10

If you have a Black Edition CPU, then its multiplier is "unlocked," and you have a lot of flexibility for overclocking.

The Phenom II's OC quite well. +15-20% is usually attainable without extraordinary effort. If you provide your exact CPU, motherboard, RAM, and case (yes case) configuration, I'll gladly offer you some "next steps" for taking it a bit higher.

Btw, check out my OC in my sig :)

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#4 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:08

Jay , thanks for this .

Here's my specs ;

Asus M2N68-CM - BIOS 0604

Phenom IIx4 945 (95watt)
CPU cooler is Phenom 965 stock

510W PSU; AcBel E2 Power 510

iCute 0311SL-BB Middle Tower ATX case
small side fan pulling heat from the CPU heatsink to outside. Open grill at the back allowing airflow

Corsair XMS 2x2G DDR2 800 5-5-5-18

Sapphire Vapor-x HD 5850 1G

Windows 7 64bit

more info ;
Real clock 208 (after the 5% o/c profile)
HT clock 1041 MHz
NB clock 1666 MHz
DRAM:FSB ration 12:6

One key factor ATM is that until I pay a big dentist bill, I cannot buy an after market CPU cooler. I have zero dollars for it right now. But if you can give advice that uses an after market cooler , I can put it to use in a couple of months.

Also, RoF runs smooth right now with out the o/c , but I just want to learn more.

I Couldn't get the 965 because my mobo is limited , but I'm happy with the 945.

The mobo is not black edition, and the multipliers only go up to 15x. Then there is this noobs option in the BIOS of an o/c profile that moves the reference clock up by a %

In the BIOS I can manually set the voltages .

That's about it.

#5 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:32

Okay, cool. I spent about 6 months with a Phenom 9950 BE on an ASUS Crosshair motherboard, and had pretty good luck with overclocking. Also, that Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 is great stuff. It has no problem taking an extra 0.3v to help with overclocking.

I have to catch a train right now, but will update this post with recommendations soon.

Edit:

Okay, if your motherboard supports mutable multipliers for the CPU-NB and HT link, you should try to overclock those individually without modifying the reference clock (200MHz). I was able to push both from 2000MHz (200 x 10) to 2600MHz (200 x 13) while only adding 0.05v to the CPU-NB. Increasing the CPU-NB frequency produces wonderful results on the Phenom II in real-world applications, because this is the "gateway" through which your CPU talks to everything else (and in particular, your RAM). The HT link is the channel over which the CPU talks to your video card. It's important to note that the HT link frequency can never exceed the CPU-NB frequency. Most BIOS'es will prevent you from attempting this anyway. But it's perfectly fine and still desirable for your CPU-NB to be overclocked while your HT link is left at the stock setting.

Once you find out what your max CPU-NB and HT link frequencies are, you can set them back to stock and then try overclocking just your CPU to see what it is capable of. You'll do this by bumping up the reference clock until you encounter lock-ups, restarts, blue-screens, or dangerous temps. Keep in mind that you might have to nudge your CPU core voltage AND DDR-2 voltage a bit as you go. Just keep an eye on your temperatures.

Finally, once you know what your CPU is capable of, and what your max stable CPU-NB and HT frequencies are, you can begin the balancing act of getting them all relatively close to their limits while keeping the system stable. This will be tricky because your CPU multiplier is locked, and so you MUST increase your reference frequency in order to overclock the CPU. So even tho your CPU-NB might have worked just fine at 200x12 or something, you may have to settle for e.g. 215x11. Hope that makes sense.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. Overclocking takes patience and time, but can be enjoyable and educational too.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#6 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:55

That did all make sense actually , and now I'm going to digest it and try a few things.

What I realized last night was that my PSU is making most of the noise in the PC and with the voltage increases it gets really loud, suggesting it's working too hard. I think my next upgrade needs to be a better PSU, and then a CPU cooler.

I'll PM you if I run into any specific jams. I've got plenty to be going on with with this info. thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users