GeForce 260GT vs. Radeon HD4850

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:47

Hi all,
my first post here…

I'm about to buy a new comp, so I would appreciate your help on following questions:

1. Which video card (GeForce 260GT vs. Radeon HD4850) is better and why?
2. Vista/W7 or XP?

I want the new comp to be able to play smoothly (high fps):
a)IL-2 1946
b)BOB II
c)Wings of Prey
d)Rise of Flight

ROF seems to be the most demanding on my current system, then WOP, BOB and IL-2.

Thanx.

#2 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:29

You should add the 5770 to your consideration, similar performance and price of the 4850 but less energy consumption and DX11 support.

#3 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:01

You should add the 5770 to your consideration, similar performance and price of the 4850 but less energy consumption and DX11 support.

Thanx for the tip, ImPeRaToR.
Item added.

#4 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:22

Yes, between your two listed choices, I'd lean towards suggesting the NV card. But if you toss in the 5770, then the argument stiffens for the ATI.

Either way, you can't go wrong as they will both run RoF quite well and will eat the other games you listed for lunch.

My only other suggestion is to get as much Vram on whichever card you choose. I'd say 1GB is minimum and if there is a 2GB version (obviously for a little more money) get that one of you can.

Also, you didn't say any of the other components you're looking at, but if RoF is to remain on your list, do yourself a huge favor and get a good quad core CPU. Those other games aren't nearly as multi-threaded (IL2 isn't multi-threaded at all really) as RoF and it can make the difference between barely playable at times to smooth, seamless video during a hot fight.

FYI.

#5 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 23 April 2010 - 16:30

Also, you didn't say any of the other components you're looking at, but if RoF is to remain on your list, do yourself a huge favor and get a good quad core CPU. Those other games aren't nearly as multi-threaded (IL2 isn't multi-threaded at all really) as RoF and it can make the difference between barely playable at times to smooth, seamless video during a hot fight.

FYI.

Thanx, TX-Thunderbolt,

I have found a comp in one shop with following specs:

Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 - 2.66GHz
Chipset : Intel G31
Graphic card : NVIDIA GeForce GT240 1 GB
Hard disk : 1 TB 7200rpm SATA 2
Memory : 4 GB DDR2
Sound card : 7.1 audio
Net card : Gigabit LAN

No OS

Would this be ok?

As I plan to buy also BoB-SoW when it comes out, I would like to have a system, that meets the supposed criteria.
This means, that if you see any weak spot in the system mentioned above, please let me know as I can pay a little more to have a good system (not twice as much of course :)))

I already have a Logitech G940 flight system an plan to buy a Track-IR.

How about the OS; would you recommend Vista/W7 or XP?

Cheers.

#6 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 23 April 2010 - 17:01

I'm not a WW2 player, only WW1 fly sims here, but keep in your mind I suspect that Olegs BoB will be a directX11 game, so, if so, then it will be easy here, get Win7 and a ATI HD-5XXX series vcard, this is the only way to play a directX11 game in DirectX11-mode.

Nvidia DirectX11 4XXserie Vcard is to expensive now and XP/HD4850/260GT can not run DirectX11.

note why not a Intel i5-750 or the i7-860 socket1156 system? only few $$$ more but its performance is plendid. See at: http://www.tomshardw...cpu,2599-6.html">http://www.tomshardw...com/reviews/bes … 599-6.html
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#7 TX-Gunslinger

TX-Gunslinger

Posted 23 April 2010 - 17:07

I would not get 260GT. 868MB VRAM. To run high textures in ROF you need 1.0 GB (and in other more modern sims too).

I'd take a used 285 or go price a new one. If I could not afford/justify a new 1GB Nvidea board - then I'd buy used.

I see the other sims on your list - and therefore recommend Nvidea.

Just don't cut your future short with the smaller VRAM - get a whole 1GB Vram - you won't be sorry.

As far as DX11 goes - agreed, to a point - but it's a future unknown. 1GB VRAM (or greater) is more immediate and limiting, also for things in the future.

Since when did digital 2X output scale to numbers like 868? 256, 512, 1024, 2048…..

S!

Gunny

#8 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:28

Dutch2, Gunny,

thank you for your input.
Very appreciated.

S!

#9 Murf

Murf

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:37

Well I personally I have an nVidia GeForce XLR8 Performance Edition GTS 250 with 1024MB… I don't know if it supports DX11 or not (can't remember off hand)… but it is FANTASTIC with EVERY sim and game I have (except RoF… which doesn't have anything to do with the graphics card)…

#10 TX-Gunslinger

TX-Gunslinger

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:31

Murf, that sounds like a great card! I have a GTX 280 sitting over here, and if that 250 had been out when I bought mine I would have snapped that puppy up.

Ami,

I run a dual boot Vista64 + XP32 system. I just jumped to the Visa 64 side which I have not been to for about a month and updated my ATI drivers (5870), to 10.3 version.

I decided to read the release notes, and noticed the following:

Known Issues Under All Windows Operating Systems
The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under
the Windows operating system in the latest version of Catalyst™. These include:

#11 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:42

You know, the ATI "thing" is not a "killer" for Il2 - just a pain-in-the-xxx :)

Gunny

Would you please elaborate more on this, as IL-2 is my true love?
:oops:

S!

#12 TX-Gunslinger

TX-Gunslinger

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:47

One of many threads in community help.
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/7271096148

There's a text corruption issue with ingame text after spawning. Several home-brew fixes - which I have not tried - just because I don't have time - too much testing, server work - etc over here.

So, on screen messages are not readable, initially in the game. One workaround is to run the Black Death Track for a few seconds before logging into a server. That works. I found that running any track for a few seconds (sometimes as long as 20) will do it.

Also, since this issue is related to proper shader function, you won't get the 200+ FPS that you will on an Nvidea card. You get 60 plus, so the game is certainly playable, but you won't be able to win beers in frame rate contests.

There is a workaround in which you install older Cat drivers in a temp directory (to unpack them) and then move an ATIOGL file into the Il2 directory. Look for the procedure in the thread. Urufu_Shjiro (listen to this guy, PF_Coastie and few others) posted:

No, there is a fix for blocky text with later 10.x cat versions. What you do is download the 9.10 catalyst drivers, start to install the 9.10's so they create the ATI folder on your C drive, after that initial part you can cancel the install, in that ATI folder you will find a file called atioglxx.dll, take that file, copy it and paste it into the il2 main folder. Il2 will use the 9.10 file while all other games will use whatever version of the catalyst drivers you have installed.

Again, those of us who track these things, expect this issue to be fixed in 10.4 catalyst drivers - particularly since it was officially mentioned by ATI in the recent 10.3 catalyst release.

I think you have a very hard choice at this time, all things considered. Just remember the 1GB VRAM is the most important.

In my office right now, I have two computers (ROF server and my gaming rig). There's a GTX-280 on my desk, a GTS-8800 in my server box - and a 5870 in my gaming rig. I've benchmarked the 280, a GTX-295 (bad buy for sims) and the 5870 in ROF.

Between the 280 and 5870 there is not a huge difference in frames - the 5870 wins - but by 10% maybe. The 5870 (I believe for this sim, a 5850 will give the same performance) kills the Nvidea in only one area with respect to ROF.

Beautiful, non-shimmering terrain at every angle, across all ranges.

Hope I've helped. I'm really trying not to get into an ATI/Nvidea debate - but you should read as much as you can, across the forums of the applications you use.

S!

Gunny

#13 TX-Gunslinger

TX-Gunslinger

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:04

Looking at the prospective system specs you posted, let me echo what TB said:

- Quad core, more important than your 1GB Vram video vendor…..

- I have just upgraded two machines in the last 10 months, from dual cores to quads. The performance difference in ROF is amazing. So will it be in SOW, whenever that's released. ROF is a threaded application, and behaves as such.

If you go the LGA-775 route (versus I7/I5) - I would recommend the Q9550 as a great price/performance spot. I do have a Q9650, on my gaming rig overclocked to 4.1 Ghz - but it's a bit expensive. The Q9550 that I purchased more recently is running at 3.6 Ghz on my server and if I needed to (I don't) I'm sure I could push it further.

With 16 users on my dedicated server, the Q9550 runs at 30 to 39% CPU load. When I used to host with a 4.4 Ghz OC'd E8500 - the CPU load would peak at 75 to 85% with only 8 users.

I have videos from ROF that I recorded on fraps before the quad core. I can always tell these as the frame rates are low and there are artifacts in the videos. Huge difference in video capture quality and fps with the quads.

As far as the O/S? Wait till the last minute on this. I run both XP 32 and Vista 64 on my gaming rig - with the server on XP 64. So I guess I've seen it all except Win 7 (which I'll probably upgrade the Vista 64 side to next week if I get time).

Let's see how the next release of ROF performs, cross O/S. If you have to buy the O/S with your system, we'll - I guess I would recommend Win7. I hope to have a better answer as soon as I get time to install Win7 in my shop. Hope I've helped…

S!

Gunny

#14 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:15

Ami7, it's very easy to upgrade your video card - but it's a but more involved to upgrade your CPU.

I'd focus mainly on getting the Quad core that will run RoF smooth, and get a video card that fits the budget after that (but still 1G)

You can always rip out your video card and sell it and buy a better one but the quad will be your base through to SoW

Edit; why not start a thread on a good CPU for RoF.

#15 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:19

Ami7, it's very easy to upgrade your video card - but it's a but more involved to upgrade your CPU.

I'd focus mainly on getting the Quad core that will run RoF smooth, and get a video card that fits the budget after that (but still 1G)

You can always rip out your video card and sell it and buy a better one but the quad will be your base through to SoW

If you run on a rather small budget this sure is a very sensible suggestion. However running Storm of War, assuming it ever comes out :roll:, might pose a problem. But this is a general problem trying to build a pc for the future so buying a cheap upgrade now and saving some money to buy a new one in 1-2 years is certainly the best approach imo.

Regarding loading times in Bad Company 2 this has been fixed with the latest drivers, I can load maps in 10-15 seconds now ;)

#16 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:42

Hope I've helped.

Gunny

Gunny,
Thank you very much for your valuable input here.

S!

#17 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:54

Guys,

thank you all for your suggestions.

S!
ami7b5

#18 Pimpin

Pimpin

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:50

I use a 4850 1Gb card.It plays RoF and il2 perfectly. One thing about DX11 games such as SoW (when it appears) the current cards will probably have been superceded by better cards by then.

#19 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:58

And chances are, they'll still run it anyway. Albeit without highest settings (and certainly without DX11 support), but they should run it still.

#20 [ER]Fischer

[ER]Fischer

Posted 29 April 2010 - 18:42

I have 4 5870 in crossfire-x mode.
But Rof doesn't support multi gpu's.
On my laptop I have only one nvidia-card. In crossfire-mode the nvida works better.
If I disable crossfire, the ati will run over 80+ fps in max settins.

#21 SvenK.

SvenK.

Posted 29 April 2010 - 22:09

I am running with a HD5770 now and it´s doing great, upgraded from 8800 GT, I had some performance gain in RoF. Other games have much more improvement. And I too love Il2, fly it very often, the text `thing` is indeed annoying, but only occurs rarely on my system. Mostly during the loading bar but when you go ingame it disappears. Not really much of a problem, but annoying :?

Sven

#22 TX-Gunslinger

TX-Gunslinger

Posted 29 April 2010 - 22:55

I have 4 5870 in crossfire-x mode.
But Rof doesn't support multi gpu's.
On my laptop I have only one nvidia-card. In crossfire-mode the nvida works better.
If I disable crossfire, the ati will run over 80+ fps in max settins.

Whoa, man that's impressive.

Can you tell me more about "In crossfire-mode the nvidea works better?"…

How do you run Xfire on an Nvidea card?

Thanks,

Gunny

#23 Murf

Murf

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:20

Thanks,

Gunny

Yeah… I didn't know you could run crossfire with an nVidia card!!! :o
How did you get it to do that???

#24 [ER]Fischer

[ER]Fischer

Posted 03 May 2010 - 13:59

Thanks,

Gunny

Yeah… I didn't know you could run crossfire with an nVidia card!!! :o
How did you get it to do that???

LOL, :lol: :lol: :lol:
hey guys, I made a big mistake. :oops: I meant that the SLI-System works better by playing RoF, than the Crossfire-System. STILL! :)

#25 TX-Gunslinger

TX-Gunslinger

Posted 03 May 2010 - 14:31

Hahaha

"Turn off the alarms and lay down your weapons, it was only a drill" :)

Thanks Nordseefischer, I thought you'd stumbled onto "Cold Fusion" there for a minute…

Gunny

#26 Murf

Murf

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:56

:lol: :lol: :lol: And I had my hopes up!! :lol: :lol:

#27 TX-Gunslinger

TX-Gunslinger

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:25

:lol: :lol: :lol: And I had my hopes up!! :lol: :lol:

See this thread. Very good card …

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=9546&start=0

S!