Nova...

Posted 31 March 2010 - 19:25

This is my personal skin.

Download here…
http://www.mediafire.com/?xnjmg2kimw3

#2 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 31 March 2010 - 20:49

Flamming is just like it was on my Harley 8-)
As the black is nicer than before, voted yes!

#3 Nova...

Nova...

Posted 31 March 2010 - 21:50

Flamming is just like it was on my Harley 8-)
As the black is nicer than before, voted yes!

I had those same flames done in silver on my chopper and my bass guitar.

With the advice of some community members I now that I know how to properly do the black and red. With this new understanding I will need to reskin all of my planes. :D

#4 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 31 March 2010 - 23:57

My only concern with that skin are the roundels. What coalition are they?

Even though these skins are "for fun" I feel they should still have accurate coalition markings for the side they flew for (they don't even need to be the exact country, but at least one of the Allied).

If you ever decide to go into a "no icons" server, correct markings are a necessity.

I didn't vote no, but withold my vote pending a markings revision. ;)

My .02c

#5 Nova...

Nova...

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:19

Even though these skins are "for fun" I feel they should still have accurate coalition markings for the side they flew for (they don't even need to be the exact country, but at least one of the Allied).

If you ever decide to go into a "no icons" server, correct markings are a necessity.

My .02c

Great question. I created the original one with the red/white/blue roundels and I almost submitted it, but it did not look right to me so I went back to black and red.

The coalition would then have to be an independent faction supporting the Allies so they still sport the roundels although in red and black.

Hey thanks for giving me the motivation to make up a story, however brief, to go with the plane. Now my skin for "FUN" has a story to go with it. :D

Nova…

#6 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:13

Please note the following item(s) needing attention:

1. In your .txt file, you show your file location string as ""graphics\Skins\FokkerDr1\FDr1_Nova2.dds" - for this Camel skin, that should be ""graphics\Skins\Sopcamel\SC_Nova.dds" given what you have named your files. Please fix this in all 5 localization sections in your .txt file.

Otherwise, looking good!

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 43.jpg

#7 Nova...

Nova...

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:46

Please note the following item(s) needing attention:

1. In your .txt file, you show your file location string as ""graphics\Skins\FokkerDr1\FDr1_Nova2.dds" - for this Camel skin, that should be ""graphics\Skins\Sopcamel\SC_Nova.dds" given what you have named your files. Please fix this in all 5 localization sections in your .txt file.

Otherwise, looking good!

Thank you, it is fixed. That's what I get for working on two skins at the same time. :D

#8 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:47

I think the black is still too black, and the red is very bright.
I also agree about the roundels: I prefer to keep it realistic and have the insignia of a real country, but then again, it's up to your taste. Is it Novaland? :D
Voted yes nonetheless.

#9 1PL-Rahon-1Esk

1PL-Rahon-1Esk

Posted 01 April 2010 - 15:53

My .02c
This is top secret Entente's technology, called "Low-vis markings" :P

Great question. I created the original one with the red/white/blue roundels and I almost submitted it, but it did not look right to me so I went back to black and red.
Maybe you should try to make them a bit darker, or keep the blue and red, but remove white parts of them. I think it may be worth checking-out ;)

S!

#10 Nova...

Nova...

Posted 01 April 2010 - 16:31

Finally I found a blue that I like. I tried Red Black & Blue and it didn't look right either.

So the new story is that the secret group was offered better wages, spiffy uniforms and all the Guiness they could drink at the end of the day, so they gladly joined up with the Allied pilots. :D

#11 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 01 April 2010 - 19:24

I know you probably don't like it as much, but this simple change gets me off the fence. ;)

#12 Nova...

Nova...

Posted 01 April 2010 - 19:36

I know you probably don't like it as much, but this simple change gets me off the fence. ;)

At first it was hard to like until I got the right blue in there. Earlier I was fighting with the different blues and could not get one to look good. I and was not to knowledgable on the desaturation until it was mentioned to me, and it make a lot of difference.

I'm not too good with Photoshop but I am learning as I go along. I am still not too keen on painting over the existing skin on the bottom layer so I make all of the markings and stuff from scratch. So all in all you guys have been a great help for me to create better skins.

I have all of my skins loaded as default skins so I can see how it is to dogfight against my own skins. I have to admit the proper markings do add to the immersion. :D

Understand that I do appreciate the help, especially the constuctive criticism.

Thanks again ;)

#13 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 01 April 2010 - 20:03

It looks great now!

#14 Nova...

Nova...

Posted 01 April 2010 - 23:45

It looks great now!

Thanks,

If the votes for this plane become more positive then I will work on some more allied planes. For now it seems this one does not have many fans.

#15 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 01 April 2010 - 23:51

I voted 'no', and rather than leave you scratching your head, I'll try to explain why..

Chopper flames and skulls have no place on a WWI biplane in my opinion. It's just too corny and over the top. I don't mind strange or unconventional colors, and I don't even mind loud paint jobs. But this one is just a little too trailer park for me, sorry.

:oops:

That said, I think you're clearly pretty capable with Photoshop and I encourage you to keep at it.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#16 Nova...

Nova...

Posted 02 April 2010 - 00:13

I voted 'no', and rather than leave you scratching your head, I'll try to explain why..

Chopper flames and skulls have no place on a WWI biplane in my opinion. It's just too corny and over the top. I don't mind strange or unconventional colors, and I don't even mind loud paint jobs. But this one is just a little too trailer park for me, sorry.

:oops:

That said, I think you're clearly pretty capable with Photoshop and I encourage you to keep at it.

Thanks for posting your views, I figured the Paint Schemes "For Fun" forum would be a good place for me to have a little fun with paint jobs.

I guess I need to locate a trailer park and have a look at what is in fashion this season and avoid it. :lol:

#17 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:08

One more tiny suggestion if you permit me:
Your balck looks perfect on this plane. However, the outline of the roundels are a lot darker than your already black plane. it looks a bit off. Also, if you want to stick to history, you might want to keep the 1 inch white border, because that was an official part of the roundel. - or you can just paint it the same color as your plane, thus making it disappear.

#18 Nova...

Nova...

Posted 02 April 2010 - 21:26

One more tiny suggestion if you permit me:
Your balck looks perfect on this plane. However, the outline of the roundels are a lot darker than your already black plane. it looks a bit off. Also, if you want to stick to history, you might want to keep the 1 inch white border, because that was an official part of the roundel. - or you can just paint it the same color as your plane, thus making it disappear.

I decided to take the roundels back to stock colors, doused the flames a bit, trimmed them in yellow, moved the skull up to the front and changed the font on the 13 and outlined it in white.

Let's see how this is accepted :D

#19 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 02 April 2010 - 21:31

I think it looks pretty neat actually! You might want to lighten vertical stabiliser though.

#20 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 03 April 2010 - 14:05

Taken from another post I explained how to fix the vertical stabiliser colour on the Camel. It's a different black, so here is how to get it the same colour.

"Using photoshop it is found in "Levels, ткань"
Select the layer and use the paintbrush to paint over that area, you will see it lighten immediately. I also found when colouring the wheels that this same layer also made it excessively dark, and painted off that same area to get the same colour across the fuselage"

#21 Nova...

Nova...

Posted 03 April 2010 - 23:46

Taken from another post I explained how to fix the vertical stabiliser colour on the Camel. It's a different black, so here is how to get it the same colour.

"Using photoshop it is found in "Levels, ткань"
Select the layer and use the paintbrush to paint over that area, you will see it lighten immediately. I also found when colouring the wheels that this same layer also made it excessively dark, and painted off that same area to get the same colour across the fuselage"

Thanks for the assistance with the stabilizer, I can now easily read what I painstakingly wrote on there.

I decided to trim the red flames in blue and white to match the roundels. I think this will move them away from the corny, trailer park category as the colors are now accurately coordinated with the coalition markings :)

This skin has been a much larger project than I expected but there is a lot of work involved with keeping the plane interesting enough for a variety of people and a plane that I want to fly! :?

I would like to be able to use this skin and I've done a lot of work to try to accomplish this, so hopefully some more no votes will change from NO to YES :D

#22 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:28

Poll concluded; thread locked.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 43.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users