- - - - -

Fokker Dr1 Blue/Yellow skin

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 hq_Overmax

hq_Overmax

Posted 17 March 2010 - 20:44

Hello everyone

This is a skin I made to bring some colors into the game. The airplanes are mostly red, green or white so I thought I put some blue color in there ;) Hope you like it, its not a masterpiece of art but i would like to fly on protected-mode-servers with that skin.

Preview:
Attached File  FokkerDr1_O.jpg   390.99KB   453 downloads

Download:
http://dl.dropbox.co...Dr1_Overmax.zip">http://dl.dropbox.co...Dr1_Overmax.zip

#2 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 17 March 2010 - 20:51

Just curious why some people are voting against this skin? I'll admit that I don't find it particularly attractive, but if he wants to use it, whatever :?

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#3 BH_Vfw_Klaue

BH_Vfw_Klaue

Posted 17 March 2010 - 20:55

S! i agree jay to be honest about all this i will vote yes to all skins just to have the choice to use them with out mods on. :P

#4 stethnorun

stethnorun

Posted 17 March 2010 - 21:15

The option to vote NO would be in cases where the creator is trying to cheat, either by doing something funky with the textures (such as making them transparent so the plane is invisible) or using a camo pattern to exploit the game (as opposed to historically accurate camo).

The other reason to vote no is if people feel like approved skins should be very well done. If someone just slaps a flat orange color all over the plane with no attention to detail, that could rub some people the wrong way.

#5 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 17 March 2010 - 21:15

colors are way oversaturated….

#6 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 17 March 2010 - 21:23

I will never see this skin in-game: if the OP wants to use it for himself he is free to as long as it isn't a cheat. In my book.

Voted for.

#7 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 17 March 2010 - 21:36

reminds me of this:
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
:D

Jorri is totally right imo, I was not going to vote myself either since I thought "meh" but since a lot of people are voting against it for the wrong reasons (imo) I voted yes.

#8 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 17 March 2010 - 21:46

Of course we expect Overmax to vote for us as soon as we star tputting skinpolls online :D :D ;) (kidding)

#9 hq_Overmax

hq_Overmax

Posted 17 March 2010 - 22:10

Deal accepted ;)

No serious, if anyone don't want my skin, just don't download it afterwards. But let my fly with it.

#10 Hyneman

Hyneman

Posted 17 March 2010 - 23:27

There is definitively some more work to do. But I voted yes, because this skin is no cheat.
And I will vote yes for every other skin that is not meant to cheat. My opinion. ;)

#11 stethnorun

stethnorun

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:03

Keep in mind, however, that eventually these skins are going to be distributed as skinpacks. So most people will probably download and install these purely because they all come bundled together. So yes, you might see this in your even if you didn't specifically pick it out.

#12 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:59

One thing I noted that you probably need to fix in your localization (.txt) file - you have no initial/short description (skin name), just a pair of empty quotes, such as below:

ENG
"Rise of Flight\data\graphics\Skins\FokkerDr1\FokkerDr1_Overmax" "" "Blue-Yellow Fokker. The crosses are the default texture."

You may want to put something short, like maybe "Personal skin of Overmax", in that spot so it will meet the requirements/instructions.

Also, I believe that the filename in all those localizations should be "…\FDr1_Overmax.dds", instead of what you have now, and the path reference should be shortened (the instructions show it starting with "graphics"). So, I believe that the ENG section should actually look like the following (and the other sections altered accordingly):

ENG
"graphics\Skins\FokkerDr1\FDr1_Overmax.dds" "Personal skin of Overmax" "Blue-Yellow Fokker. The crosses are the default texture."

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#13 BH_Vfw_Klaue

BH_Vfw_Klaue

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:28

Keep in mind, however, that eventually these skins are going to be distributed as skinpacks. So most people will probably download and install these purely because they all come bundled together. So yes, you might see this in your even if you didn't specifically pick it out.
S! Thats great and hope to have thousands of skin pacs. ;)

#14 AI-Neoqb

AI-Neoqb

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:46

They are there, maybe you missed the first page and accidently checked second.

Joris

Yeh… You right. Deleted my msg. :)

#15 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:58

Grand :D You and the mods have so many new topics to check on…good work on that!

#16 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:43

Looks like people still vote against it without giving a reason :(

#17 VonZimmerman

VonZimmerman

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:01

That caused my NO.

I dont mind blue, but this makes my eyes hurt.

#18 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:12

That caused my NO.

I dont mind blue, but this makes my eyes hurt.

cheers for giving him some feedback :)

overmax I suggest to move to the bottom left corner, especially further left, when picking your colours for your skin as both the blue and yellow are indeed a bit too bright but maybe you chose it on purpose.

skins will be a lot brighter than they seem in photoshop due to the lightning and the dark "level" layer. turning that layer off might give you a better idea how it will turn out ingame but dont forget to re-enable it :)

Attached File  colour.jpg   28.78KB   122 downloads

#19 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:20

I voted no, because the colors are totally unrealistic. I wouldn't want to see such a bright skin in game.

#20 Der_Sevtl

Der_Sevtl

Posted 18 March 2010 - 16:20

I voted yes because I don´t have anything against this skin.
I mean, the red baron painted his plane red…so why shouldn´t there be a blue skin?

#21 Murf

Murf

Posted 19 March 2010 - 00:26

I voted yes because I don´t have anything against this skin.
I mean, the red baron painted his plane red…so why shouldn´t there be a blue skin?

I fully agree!! ;)

#22 kugelfang

kugelfang

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:49

I didn´t vote ´cos I dislike this highly saturated colors, but thats no reason to vote "no" as it´s a personal skin.
TBH I prefer personal skins that look "as if", but thats each ones own affair I would say;)

#23 hq_Overmax

hq_Overmax

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:27

Hello Pilots
Yeah the colors are oversaturated :) but only because since the new patch everything is so dark in the game. But thanks for the comment, at the moment i am working on a new skin (still blue -> favorite color :P) but with with a little bit more details and more realistic colors. I can see that there are a lot of people disliking my skin because of its bright colors.

For description: I just copied the one from Lefty and wrote my own texts in it. And there are also such blank brackets. Whatever, i'll leave this post online until the vote ends. Or shall i delete it?

Greetings Overmax

#24 SAS

SAS

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:11

why you people voted "no"?
is this skin funny looking? yes!
is this skin interesting and unusual? yes!
so why not?
i voted "yes"!

#25 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 22 March 2010 - 18:19

This poll is 50/50 with over 60 votes total. :(

I'd be truly interested as to why someone would vote 'no" in a "for fun" category. :roll:

This is the skin the OP will fly, so there's no reason to vote against…is there? :|

#26 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 22 March 2010 - 18:42

I don't understand….it's not a talent show or contest!

Maybe you guys should only count "no" votes if people post why they voted no :(

#27 =J13=Kurt_Wolff

=J13=Kurt_Wolff

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:32

I don't understand….it's not a talent show or contest!

Maybe you guys should only count "no" votes if people post why they voted no :(

I can explain to you why most people voted against.

The first time you look at this skin there is the idea that you took a little LSD :lol: .
I do not want to offend anyone - if the color will be more adequate, I will vote yes, and most people are probably too! ;)

#28 Xegie

Xegie

Posted 23 March 2010 - 16:52

i voted YES, it might be eye hurting, but again .. didnt Von Richthofen do the exactly same thing, exceptwith red? .. i dont see any unrealistic thing about this skin, i wouldnt use it, but why not let him use it …

#29 Jaws2002

Jaws2002

Posted 27 March 2010 - 20:40

Is really funy watching people complain about the colors of a "FOR FUN" Skin, in a GAME that represents WORLD WAR ONE aircraft. WAR IN WICH THE COMANDERS OF HUGE ARMIES, ALLOWED THEIR PILOTS TO PAINT, STATE PAID AIRCRAFT, IN THEIR PREFFERED COLORS!!!!! Armies are highly rigid organizations and they still allowed their pilots to paint state owned planes in BRIGHT RED AND BRIGHT YELLOW!!!!!

I hope you guys realize how ridiculous you sound when you complain about how someone wants to paint his own virtual "FOR FUN" aircraft. :roll:

#30 1PL-Rahon-1Esk

1PL-Rahon-1Esk

Posted 29 March 2010 - 16:27

Personally I think, that looks interesting, at least as author's personall skin or something like that, so voted for it. I'm holding my thumbs for it to get to the 'approved list'. Good Luck, Overmax!

#31 iLOVEwindmills

iLOVEwindmills

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:48

Is really funy watching people complain about the colors of a "FOR FUN" Skin, in a GAME that represents WORLD WAR ONE aircraft. WAR IN WICH THE COMANDERS OF HUGE ARMIES, ALLOWED THEIR PILOTS TO PAINT, STATE PAID AIRCRAFT, IN THEIR PREFFERED COLORS!!!!! Armies are highly rigid organizations and they still allowed their pilots to paint state owned planes in BRIGHT RED AND BRIGHT YELLOW!!!!!

I hope you guys realize how ridiculous you sound when you complain about how someone wants to paint his own virtual "FOR FUN" aircraft. :roll:

Then what is the point of voting in the first place? Might as well allow everything then.

#32 Hyneman

Hyneman

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:49

>>Then what is the point of voting in the first place? Might as well allow everything then.

Exactly, as long as the skin cannot be used to cheat.

#33 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 30 March 2010 - 16:44

I also think we do not need voting; not for the for fun skins, anyway.

#34 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 30 March 2010 - 17:04

Well, the voting is, rather, a formality anyway as long as the other aspects of the skin and associated files comply with the submission criteria. Or at least it should be.

LMAO, and this skin in no way could be a "camouflage" cheat. :shock: Maybe a virtual diversion for his team mates, but that's about it.

I've decided to adopt a stance of not voting against any skins unless they are rude or otherwise morally inappropriate or, if it can provide an unusually unfair advantage through clever coloring for camouflage purposes.

Remember, in WWI they were actually trying to make their aircraft MORE recognizable for their squad mates. At least as far as the scout squadrons were concerned.

#35 Nova...

Nova...

Posted 30 March 2010 - 18:46

Nice skin, I voted for it. :D

#36 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 30 March 2010 - 19:31

I completely agree, Thunderbolt.

On the other side, in the Netherlands the queen is just a formality as well, but it's not like she ever gets to reject anything :shock: I hope she doesn't take example of this!

(but it's still in the plus!)

#37 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 31 March 2010 - 15:01

I would also use this as an example of why to make "re-voting" allowable in the initial post. I'm sure there are some people who voted "no" who would change their minds if given the opportunity. ;)

#38 Nova...

Nova...

Posted 31 March 2010 - 15:07

I would also use this as an example of why to make "re-voting" allowable in the initial post. I'm sure there are some people who voted "no" who would change their minds if given the opportunity. ;)

That is a very good point and would avoid having to delete and resubmit the post.

This would work really well given that the artist has 14 days to work out the kinks with the help of the community.

#39 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:02

quote="TX-Thunderbolt"]I would also use this as an example of why to make "re-voting" allowable in the initial post.

Yes - that can be done by editing your initial post, if you forget to do it the first time around.

Poll concluded; thread closed.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users