- - - - -

Extremely Poor Perfromance since update

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#41 Morgoth

Morgoth

Posted 13 March 2010 - 19:41

Sorry Morgoth 64 bits isn't support. Try Vista 32 bits. :roll:

I don't have the time to do that these days.

Oh, I guess I'm gonna use my good ol' Win98SE PC, at least it won't be too "new". :roll:

#42 Wild_Monkey

Wild_Monkey

Posted 13 March 2010 - 19:59

It's been clear said several times - ROF doesn't support W7…
All complaint goes to W7 not to ROF.

:lol:

#43 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 13 March 2010 - 20:40

And does not support dualcore systems! :ugeek: !!!!

Absolutely wrong. If you look on the back of the DVD case for the game it clearly states in the minimum system requirements CPU: INTEL CORE 2 DUO 2.4 GHZ, and if you don't believe me then check out this link to this very site: http://riseofflight..../about/features">http://riseofflight..../about/features

Neoqb still use the same minimum spec as from the start, why, so the PC specs are not changed by all these updates :roll: !!!!!
Believe me Athlondude, RoFgame does not support a dualcore system now, yep they are writing down it can run on a moderate dualcore, but that was at the start, later caused by all the updates it went wrong for my dualcore setup. Out of the box my CPUload was 90-95% then, now direct at the game start 100%. So it was first the moderate dualcore setup like I have, now it appears that the high end dualcore setups, like the E8XXX are facing the same limitations. Who is next, the overclocked Intel EXXXX-extreme PC setups, time will tell?????
I think Neoqb must be honest about this, they should change these minimum specs on the website to the actual situation, the real minimum PC specs to run RoF at a problem free level. Ok, minimum spec means also you have to play this game at the minimum settings, right. But even at these low setting this game is giving problems to my PC.
Believe this game is splendid and I'm not going to WoP or even Olegs BoB, I'm a WW1 fan and I did the upgrade only for RoF but now it appears it was a wrong investment, despite the research I should have go direct to a complete new Quad system, now for me its like flushing away the $$$.
I still can not understand why didn't the beta testers not take a note about this!!!! and why is Neoqb not doing something to make this game playable to all the dualcore users that had in there mind they could play this game using a dualcore setup, despite all the problems they introduce a windsock :cry:
BTW, I'm running XPpro32
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#44 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 13 March 2010 - 22:30

Absolutely wrong. If you look on the back of the DVD case for the game it clearly states in the minimum system requirements CPU: INTEL CORE 2 DUO 2.4 GHZ, and if you don't believe me then check out this link to this very site: http://riseofflight..../about/features">http://riseofflight..../about/features

Neoqb still use the same minimum spec as from the start, why, so the PC specs are not changed by all these updates :roll: !!!!!
Believe me Athlondude, RoFgame does not support a dualcore system now, yep they are writing down it can run on a moderate dualcore, but that was at the start, later caused by all the updates it went wrong for my dualcore setup. Out of the box my CPUload was 90-95% then, now direct at the game start 100%. So it was first the moderate dualcore setup like I have, now it appears that the high end dualcore setups, like the E8XXX are facing the same limitations. Who is next, the overclocked Intel EXXXX-extreme PC setups, time will tell?????
I think Neoqb must be honest about this, they should change these minimum specs on the website to the actual situation, the real minimum PC specs to run RoF at a problem free level. Ok, minimum spec means also you have to play this game at the minimum settings, right. But even at these low setting this game is giving problems to my PC.
Believe this game is splendid and I'm not going to WoP or even Olegs BoB, I'm a WW1 fan and I did the upgrade only for RoF but now it appears it was a wrong investment, despite the research I should have go direct to a complete new Quad system, now for me its like flushing away the $$$.
I still can not understand why didn't the beta testers not take a note about this!!!! and why is Neoqb not doing something to make this game playable to all the dualcore users that had in there mind they could play this game using a dualcore setup, despite all the problems they introduce a windsock :cry:
BTW, I'm running XPpro32

I hear ya and understand. Honestly I doubt a quad core would help at this point because the problem I am experiencing is more than mere FPS slowdown, these are big long pauses and freezes, so much to the effect that on a couple of occasions I thought it had locked up. If it is Neoqb's intention to never support Windows 7 then I will gladly donate my dvd to the coaster of the month club. Dont get me wrong I am a huge, huge WWI fan, but I am not going to invest anything further into this game until they resolve the current issues. The real kicker is there are people here that have Core I-5, and I-7 systems that are having the same issues I am having.

#45 yibbedidoo

yibbedidoo

Posted 13 March 2010 - 22:57

BTW, I'm running XPpro32

I hear ya and understand. Honestly I doubt a quad core would help at this point because the problem I am experiencing is more than mere FPS slowdown, these are big long pauses and freezes, so much to the effect that on a couple of occasions I thought it had locked up. If it is Neoqb's intention to never support Windows 7 then I will gladly donate my dvd to the coaster of the month club. Dont get me wrong I am a huge, huge WWI fan, but I am not going to invest anything further into this game until they resolve the current issues. The real kicker is there are people here that have Core I-5, and I-7 systems that are having the same issues I am having.

I've got win7 64 and an i7 processor. I have no FPS problems but i'm getting freezes all the time i can't play it at all anymore! as i mentioned before after loading the mission it says "Game Loading Complete Press P to continue" when i press P nothing happens! is this due to the fact that win7 is not supported?? WHY ISN'T THERE ANY WARNING ON SIMMARKET OR AEROSOFT TELLING U THAT IT DOESN'T WORK ON WIN7????? i mean under normal circumstances, every game that supports vista can run on Win7 so why the heck doesn't RoF work with Win7 ??? i paid nearly 50 euros today on RoF and i haven't got ANY support yet ??? i posted my problem on the aerosoft forums on this forum and i even sent an email to neoqb but no reply yet… there must be a way to solve the win7 issues ! if this cannot be solved I will want my money back.

#46 Dolee

Dolee

Posted 13 March 2010 - 23:01

I am getting better and better performance with each patch.
Guess I am lucky.

#47 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:01

The whole thing that gets me is that they are refusing support over a technicality. They released ROF three months prior to the release of Windows 7, so since it wasn't out at that time they don't feel obligated to support it even though Microsoft promoted the crap out of it and made sure that as many people switched to it as possible. Now the way I see it the most logical thing to do is to add support for Windows 7 as soon as possible. As we can see they didn't do that. Another logical thing they should have done is setup some sort of support system, and once again they didn't do that either. So now what we have is a game that does not support the latest operating system, and no real technical support t speak of accept for the "Russian Roulette" style where I e-mail someone there with my problem and maybe I'll get an answer and maybe I wont. Either way, they already have my money, and since I use Windows 7 they also have the perfect excuse not to provide me with support. The real kicker is like some of the other folks around here it was working good until one update broke it, and now that I am $100.00 deep in it I am screwed.

#48 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:59

I did a lot of research here and I have noticed that big quad cores have lesser problems then dualcore users. I think this is simple to explain, because RoF is a quad design and when you are facing a 100% CPU load like most of the dualcore users, your system do encounter more problems then your are running something like 75% on your i7-860.

I thing Neoqb should introduce some method to make this software run smoother. This can be done by reduce all the subroutines they introduced during all the updates, but also use extra check boxes in the settings to disable some load eating or complex functions. Function like fluid flying dynamics or the complex FM/DM, if this would make this game running better I would happily disable them.
Still do not know why did the betatesters not encounter these problems, or are they all using a quad?
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#49 TroyMcClure

TroyMcClure

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:45

The real kicker is like some of the other folks around here it was working good until one update broke it, and now that I am $100.00 deep in it I am screwed.
Yup, that is really what is extremely disappointing, the game used to work with Win7 and dual cores. So it's not really a question of whether or not this is compatible. But the least I would expect is that they would maintain the existing compatibility with Win7 when doing their so-called "optimization". What sort of company would deliberately optimize against an OS that is being massively adopted by gamers, notably those who skipped Vista?

So I am now collecting my losses, that's a total of 84.35 euros that I have spent on RoF, or 116 dollars, or 3400 russian rubles at today's exchange rate.
I'm not about to spend one more ruble on it, though.

#50 yibbedidoo

yibbedidoo

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:50

The real kicker is like some of the other folks around here it was working good until one update broke it, and now that I am $100.00 deep in it I am screwed.
Yup, that is really what is extremely disappointing, the game used to work with Win7 and dual cores. So it's not really a question of whether or not this is compatible. But the least I would expect is that they would maintain the existing compatibility with Win7 when doing their so-called "optimization". What sort of company would deliberately optimize against an OS that is being massively adopted by gamers, notably those who skipped Vista?

So I am now collecting my losses, that's a total of 84.35 euros that I have spent on RoF, or 116 dollars, or 3400 russian rubles at today's exchange rate.

did you get your money back?

#51 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:51

I have to wait for a better AMD CPU, because the Phenon 965 seems to be powerless for RoF,

Do you have some stories from people with this CPU ? I ask because that's the one I'm planning to buy. If it's powerless for RoF I won't buy it.

#52 TroyMcClure

TroyMcClure

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:53

I meant to say, "I am counting my losses". I'm not asking for my money back. I still own the game, and even if I were asking for my money back, I know already the answer I'll get. "We told you this game is not compatible with Windows 7."

#53 yibbedidoo

yibbedidoo

Posted 14 March 2010 - 13:08

I meant to say, "I am counting my losses". I'm not asking for my money back. I still own the game, and even if I were asking for my money back, I know already the answer I'll get. "We told you this game is not compatible with Windows 7."

they did not say THIS GAME IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH WIN7 all it said was that it was copatible with xp and vista but on the other hand all the other sompanies say for example that an addon is not compatible with FSX + acceleration if you know what i mean. I bought this not being warned that it is NOT copatible with win7 normaly all the vista games are compatiple with win7. Of course they aren't compatible with win2000… is there any information on whether this game will ever be compatible with win7 ?? i wouldn't want to have wasted my money on this game!

#54 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 14 March 2010 - 13:54

Your lucky this is my RoF upgrade, count the $$$ I have spend to play RoF.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+
Coolermaster Hyper TX2 90mm fan
3 Scythen 80mm blue LED FAN
4x 1Gb Crucial Ballistix 800mhz 5-5-5-15
Sapphire HD4890-1Gb Vapor X
Corsair 750W
Simped vario USB pedals
Logitech Force 3dpro
500Gb Seagate

Ok I'm positive some components can be used for a new big Quad system, I'm waiting for a not expensive MSI fuzion "big bang" mobo, AM3 or 1156 socket btw, the 1366socket is to expensive.
Because it is such a fine and good game to play, I'm staying to RoF, if it was like First Eagles I sold it directly on Ebay.
I will face my lost in $$$, still I hope Neoqb do something to help the dualcore users.

#55 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 14 March 2010 - 14:49

Well I for one did send Lefty an e-mail and ask that they either fix the optimizations so that Windows 7 Dual core users can benifit from the new update, or come up with a workaround, allow us to roll back to version 1.010, or give me my money back. I understand that they "officially" dont support Windows 7, but I really think that is a cop-out or an excuse not to provide support. I mean what kind of company releases a game 3 months prior to the biggest launch of a major operating system and then not support it? And the only thing they can say is go back to XP and buy a quad core? Support for XP is going to be dropped in a year or two, and I shouldnt have to shell out a couple hundred bucks to play the damn game!

#56 GBrutus

GBrutus

Posted 14 March 2010 - 15:41

I still wish Neoqb would just state whether or not they will address this issue.

#57 GBrutus

GBrutus

Posted 14 March 2010 - 17:09

Ok, it gets interesting now. Unplugging my joystick (MSFFB2) totally solved the stuttering issue. My performance is now as it was pre update, no stuttering and great FPS. I tried plugging it back into every other USB port but the stutters returned. Now I know what Neoqb will say now, bet you guys can guess too. ;)

So if upgrading to a quad core resolves what turns out to be a joystick issue then this sim has serious problems. Thank God I didn't get my wallet out, eh?

#58 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 14 March 2010 - 20:26

Ok, it gets interesting now. Unplugging my joystick (MSFFB2) totally solved the stuttering issue. My performance is now as it was pre update, no stuttering and great FPS. I tried plugging it back into every other USB port but the stutters returned. Now I know what Neoqb will say now, bet you guys can guess too. ;)

So if upgrading to a quad core resolves what turns out to be a joystick issue then this sim has serious problems. Thank God I didn't get my wallet out, eh?
Read this before buying a new JS.

.Tomik wrote:
I hope I have some good news:
after reading about force feedback problems in another thread, I tried to disable ff in my map file (D:\Program Files (x86)\Rise of Flight\data\input\xx.map):
[force_feedback]
enabled = 0;
force = 1.000000;
amplitude = 1.000000;
[end]

After this change there are still some feedback forces (not all, but some), main point is - the stuttering is noticeably smaller

Could you guys try it and confirm the result?

Some results here from other users!!!

#59 GBrutus

GBrutus

Posted 14 March 2010 - 20:54

Disabled FFB and yes, the stutters are gone. I don't consider it a fix though. :|

Anyway, at least in my case my issues were nothing to do with Win7 or my dual core rig. Again we're back to this annoying FFB conflict. This is getting tedious now…

#60 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 14 March 2010 - 21:08

I wish that were the case for me, unfortunately I dont have a force feedback joystick.

#61 GBrutus

GBrutus

Posted 14 March 2010 - 21:28

Just curious, did you try unplugging your joystick anyway? Seems to me that there are lots of incompatibility issues with RoF.

#62 yibbedidoo

yibbedidoo

Posted 14 March 2010 - 21:40

Just curious, did you try unplugging your joystick anyway? Seems to me that there are lots of incompatibility issues with RoF.

unplugging my joystick does the trick for me :) but then again who wants to fly without a joystick ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? that makes no sense

#63 GBrutus

GBrutus

Posted 14 March 2010 - 21:45

unplugging my joystick does the trick for me :) but then again who wants to fly without a joystick ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? that makes no sense

No, it doesn't make any sense, I agree. Could you tell me what joystick you are using?

#64 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:15

I did just now and you ROF ran like a bat outta hell, just like before the 1.011 update. When I plug it back in, then the freezing and pausing comes back. Funny thing is my Joystick is not a force feedback joystick, its a plain old Saitek ST90 Pro.

#65 GBrutus

GBrutus

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:03

I did just now and you ROF ran like a bat outta hell, just like before the 1.011 update. When I plug it back in, then the freezing and pausing comes back. Funny thing is my Joystick is not a force feedback joystick, its a plain old Saitek ST90 Pro.

If you haven't already, try disabling FFB in your input map and then plug your joystick back in. Hopefully this should fix the issue for you. There's something seriously up here, I wonder if the devs are following all of this.

#66 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 15 March 2010 - 13:28

If you haven't already, try disabling FFB in your input map and then plug your joystick back in. Hopefully this should fix the issue for you. There's something seriously up here, I wonder if the devs are following all of this.

I did try this and the first time I tried to run it ROF locked up, the second time it came right up and ran. Now the all the major freezing and pausing are almost completely gone. It does not run as nice as it does without the Joystick, but it is in a playable state now. I dunno what happened in the last update, but I have noticed that the settings this time around don't seem to be working as well as in the past.

#67 AI-Neoqb

AI-Neoqb

Posted 15 March 2010 - 13:53

Open a startup.cfg with any text editor and make this line like this:

[KEY = force_feedback]
amplitude = 1.00000
enabled = 0
force = 1.00000

Should help.

#68 yibbedidoo

yibbedidoo

Posted 15 March 2010 - 14:50

No, it doesn't make any sense, I agree. Could you tell me what joystick you are using?

I was using a SPEEDLINK BLACK WIDOW FFB joystick which turned out to cause problems with RoF so now I have had to switch my FFB joystick with a more or less useless LOGITECH ATTACK 3 joystick that doesn't have FFB. But at least that one works fine with RoF

#69 yibbedidoo

yibbedidoo

Posted 15 March 2010 - 14:56

[KEY = force_feedback]
amplitude = 1.00000
enabled = 0
force = 1.00000

Should help.

do you mean the file joysffmap.cfg ? are you saying all i need to do is adding those lines to that file via editor ? just below these lines:

[joy7]
const_force=0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8;
pereodic_force=0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8;
condition_force=0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8;
[end]

so that it looks like this?

[joy7]
const_force=0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8;
pereodic_force=0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8;
condition_force=0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8;
[end]
[KEY = force_feedback]
amplitude = 1.00000
enabled = 0
force = 1.00000

#70 AI-Neoqb

AI-Neoqb

Posted 15 March 2010 - 14:58

I said:
Open a startup.cfg with any text editor… not a joysffmap.cfg…

#71 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 15 March 2010 - 15:01

[KEY = force_feedback]
amplitude = 1.00000
enabled = 0
force = 1.00000

Should help.

Yeah I had edited my input.map file last night and got some result, and just now this file. No additional improvement with this file, but still considerably less freezing and pausing, and definitely more playable. This may be an issue that needs to be addressed in the next update. Something else I have noticed, Mission load times are at an all time high, so much so that I thought it had locked up on me a couple times.

#72 yibbedidoo

yibbedidoo

Posted 15 March 2010 - 15:57

I said:
Open a startup.cfg with any text editor… not a joysffmap.cfg…

ok i understand :) i'll try it later.

#73 AI-Neoqb

AI-Neoqb

Posted 15 March 2010 - 16:04

Ok :)

#74 yibbedidoo

yibbedidoo

Posted 15 March 2010 - 18:06

Ok :)

thx it woked :)

#75 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 15 March 2010 - 18:27

.Tomik wrote:
after reading about force feedback problems in another thread, I tried to disable ff in my map file (D:\Program Files (x86)\Rise of Flight\data\input\xx.map):
[force_feedback]
enabled = 0;
force = 1.000000;
amplitude = 1.000000;
[end]

After this change there are still some feedback forces (not all, but some), main point is - the stuttering is noticeably smaller

Ok seems to work here, sorry Tomik to hijack your reply from another topic, Lefty, please make a new post for these method and put this it into the sticky's. I have use it but did also a lot of setting changes so I can not determine what was successfully, still have force feedback, BTW.
RoF is still running at 100% CPU load direct from the start and I know I was sounding frustrated, sorry Neoqb :oops: , but now, still facing some stutters/shimmering/BTD but I can play this nice game. I think I have reached the max. on my moderate system for RoF. So still going for a new big $$$ quad core setup, all to play this game at the max settings and going online without disturbance. I already said to my wife; I know but it is healthier then XTC or smoking cannabis. ;)

#76 Celeon999

Celeon999

Posted 16 March 2010 - 14:43

back into every other USB port but the stutters returned. Now I know what Neoqb will say now, bet you guys can guess too. ;)

.Tomik wrote:
[force_feedback]
enabled = 0;
force = 1.000000;
amplitude = 1.000000;
[end]

Doesn't work for me. I have a Saitek X52 that has no FFB.

Of course i disabled FBB anyway but it did not changed anything on the stutters. Only unplugging the joystick lets it disappear.

But i noticed something different. While i was experimenting with the joystick in different USB ports , i launched RoF with unplugged joystick BUT with Fraps running in the background as i wanted to make some screenshots with it.

Guess what ! The stutter is back. Even with unplugged joystick.

Back to windows, closed Fraps , restarted RoF and stutter was gone.

Now im not sure anymore if the joysticks are really the issue here.

It rather seems that a certain joystick related program which starts and runs invisibly in the background when the stick is plugged in causes the stutter.

And somehow Fraps , as a program that also runs in the background, causes the same stutter problem.

So im convinced that its not a joystick problem but rather a problem with the way Windows 7 handles the RoF.exe since the update. Somethings was changed on the way the workload caused by the RoF.exe is shared between multiple CPU cores.

Obviously Windows 7 has a problem sharing this workload correctly once it has to deal with one or more other simultaneously running programs that directly correspond with the Rof.exe

The performance loss almost feels as if ,since the update , one CPU core gets 100 % of the RoF.exe , 100% of Fraps or the joystick related stuff as well and the second one either does something that has nothing to do with RoF or simply does nothing at all anymore.

Hence the terrible performance. Whatever it is , it has something to do with what each single core is recieving from RoF for processing once another program is present that shares resources with RoF as it has to work hand in hand with it.

Better said , whatever the RoF.exe orders Windows to do since the update, these revised instructions were written for WinXP and Windows 7 propably has a different way of dealing with multiple CPU cores and hence does not understand these instructions anymore.

Just a guess.

#77 GBrutus

GBrutus

Posted 16 March 2010 - 16:10

That might explain why quad core users aren't experiencing (or noticing) any issues. Let's just hope that the devs are aware of this and will fix it in the next update.

#78 Celeon999

Celeon999

Posted 16 March 2010 - 16:43

That might explain why quad core users aren't experiencing (or noticing) any issues. Let's just hope that the devs are aware of this and will fix it in the next update.

Yeah, my guess is that their W7 also coordinates RoF between the cores wrongly now but they dont notice it as there is still enough performance left to run the game properly.

Anyone with one of those triple core CPUs here ? I wonder if anything changed for them aswell.

#79 AgentX20

AgentX20

Posted 17 March 2010 - 18:13

Fraps was the cause of horrendous stuttering problems some months back when I first got into RoF.

I've not yet tried out 1.011, but my experiences in the past with Fraps meant I never had it running with RoF.

#80 Vati

Vati

Posted 17 March 2010 - 18:57

I would like to hear form users who have problems, what happens if they set program affinity to only 1 of the 2 cores. Freeing second core would unchoke system. This is possible in Vista and Win7.
Friend had huge problems and this made him possible to get much less stutters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users