Photo
- - - - -

Extremely Poor Perfromance since update

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:18

I figured since this is a totally different subject than the AA issue I had that I would start a new topic on the matter. I dont know about everyone else but the performance in ROF for me at least SUCKS since the 1.011 update. FPS have drop into the single digits like never before, the whole screen is in a constant state of freezing, pausing, stuttering, and hiccuping. I never had an issue like this before. I tried turning everything off and set everything to low (video memory was at 7%) and it did very very little to help. Video card drivers are fresh and up to date, just defraged, now I am going to uninstall and reinstall. If that doesnt work, then I'll have a nice $100+ coaster until it is fixed, or 2012 comes around. I'd love the old settings menu back, I hate this one. Please fix this.

#2 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:44

Ok, Well Un-installing and Re-installing did do a little good, Antialiasing is working now as it should, and there has been a very small improvement in performance. THat being said, the improvement in performance is not enough to make the game playable, not by a mile. There is still alot of Pausing, freezing, and stuttering and it is nothing, not even close to the way it was before. Even with 2 planes (mine and the enemy) and all settings on low, or off, it still dips down into the single digit fps. Please fix this, I would rather not have an expensive coaster.

#3 Pimpin

Pimpin

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:34

Have you tried disabling your soundcard and using onboard sound?

#4 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:39

Hi

I too am taking a pretty big hit for some reason. It is playable, but not pleasent.
Curretnly I am running with post disableded in the startup.cfg, but I have still lost around 10 fps everywhere. Memory usage is 70% like it always has been.

I just did a career mission in rainy weather. Protect the balloon. The difference from the last time I did this one was drastic. Rain/fog has never caused any serious performance hit and that isn't the problem. Because I am seeing this loss in any missions, any weather.
For these conditions, I checked my frame rates before.
Here is the difference;

During warmup, I am at 22 when looking at my flight, before it was 33 or so. Looking forward I get 36, where 42 was normal.

During takeoff, I am getting 36, 46+ was normal.
Flying a circle while my flight takes off, 38 or so, and lower when looking at the planes. Before I would be in the low 50's to high 40's and drop to like 45 when watching them takeoff.

In formation, I am getting 36-38, where 48-52 was about right.

In combat I'm in the lower 30's, where even with 14-15 planes I was in the 40's and perfectly smooth. Now it is pretty choppy.

After landing and watching my flight land, I am at 28 or so and the planes are stuttering across the sky.

This was in career mission, so it wasn't the windsock causing the hit at the airfield :lol:
I have just lost alot of fps across the board.

I don't see anything in the change list that would be causing this rather big drop in performance. I am not using any of the post effects and the game looks exactly like it did before the update. Visually, I see no difference really. Maybe the fog seemed a little lighter, but I can't swear to that. What is really odd is the stuttering the planes now do as they fly around the field. I have never ever seen that happen before. In fact, the game has always been silky smooth running. I had stuttering over tanks a a few updates ago, but that was the only place I ever had stuttering.

Defrag didn't improve anything. I haven't tried reinstalling, but I may do that today. I see you got a little bit back from doing a fresh install, so maybe I will too.

It is pretty depessing, since I have no idea what to do to get it working like it should again.
LOL, I have a race car seat coming today to build a flight/race sim cockpit with. Just got a new G940 mainly for RoF. So, now I have all the crap to really get into the game, and the darn thing ain't working right anymore. :cry:

#5 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 04 March 2010 - 13:40

Have you tried disabling your soundcard and using onboard sound?

Yes it gets worse

#6 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 04 March 2010 - 13:45

Hi

I too am taking a pretty big hit for some reason. It is playable, but not pleasent.
Curretnly I am running with post disableded in the startup.cfg, but I have still lost around 10 fps everywhere. Memory usage is 70% like it always has been.

I just did a career mission in rainy weather. Protect the balloon. The difference from the last time I did this one was drastic. Rain/fog has never caused any serious performance hit and that isn't the problem. Because I am seeing this loss in any missions, any weather.
For these conditions, I checked my frame rates before.
Here is the difference;

During warmup, I am at 22 when looking at my flight, before it was 33 or so. Looking forward I get 36, where 42 was normal.

During takeoff, I am getting 36, 46+ was normal.
Flying a circle while my flight takes off, 38 or so, and lower when looking at the planes. Before I would be in the low 50's to high 40's and drop to like 45 when watching them takeoff.

In formation, I am getting 36-38, where 48-52 was about right.

In combat I'm in the lower 30's, where even with 14-15 planes I was in the 40's and perfectly smooth. Now it is pretty choppy.

After landing and watching my flight land, I am at 28 or so and the planes are stuttering across the sky.

This was in career mission, so it wasn't the windsock causing the hit at the airfield :lol:
I have just lost alot of fps across the board.

I don't see anything in the change list that would be causing this rather big drop in performance. I am not using any of the post effects and the game looks exactly like it did before the update. Visually, I see no difference really. Maybe the fog seemed a little lighter, but I can't swear to that. What is really odd is the stuttering the planes now do as they fly around the field. I have never ever seen that happen before. In fact, the game has always been silky smooth running. I had stuttering over tanks a a few updates ago, but that was the only place I ever had stuttering.

Defrag didn't improve anything. I haven't tried reinstalling, but I may do that today. I see you got a little bit back from doing a fresh install, so maybe I will too.

It is pretty depessing, since I have no idea what to do to get it working like it should again.
LOL, I have a race car seat coming today to build a flight/race sim cockpit with. Just got a new G940 mainly for RoF. So, now I have all the crap to really get into the game, and the darn thing ain't working right anymore. :cry:

Yeah I honestly couldnt tell you what my FPS average is right now because of all the pausing and freezing. It almost looks like a video I am trying to stream off the internet and every few seconds it keeps pausing to buffer. Its really messed up. But I do have Antialiasing now, and even in the Hangar where it is not suppose to be. This is the first time with this game that I have ever had anything like this happen, I sure hope they fix it.

#7 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 04 March 2010 - 14:50

With Post Effects off, in the config ( 0 ), I too have AA again and I too have it in both the hanger and in 3d.
I'm not getting any pauses. Just the lower frame rates and stuttering AI.

#8 123_Simbo

123_Simbo

Posted 04 March 2010 - 15:12

This is the first time I have had a post patch stutter,I run a medium spec machine -Q6600 o/c to run at 3ghz,8 gb ddr3 ran and a Nvidia 260 with 856 meg ddr3 and the stutter only occurs when the ground comes into view such as a wing over or a nose dive from horizontal flight.Its noticable and I suppose irritating to go from a perfect stutter free flight to one that isn`t !

Simbo Sim 123

#9 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 04 March 2010 - 16:20

Grrrr, I think new update is causing more load to the CPU. :evil:

Athlondude, did you go for the quad-core????
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#10 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 04 March 2010 - 17:03

I got my frame rates back now :)
I restored the updates using Lefty's 2nd method posted here;
http://riseofflight....php?f=48&t=6472">viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6472

I am still getting some stuttering, even though the frame rates are back up to normal, 45-60 for the most part, sometimes a little lower, other times higher. Anyway, that is like it usually runs. But the stuttering is new and still hasn't gone away.

I don't know if a complete reinstall will fix it or not. I may try that later.

#11 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 04 March 2010 - 19:33

Grrrr, I think new update is causing more load to the CPU. :evil:

Athlondude, did you go for the quad-core????

Not yet I am still saving my pennies, however I am working towards it.

#12 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 04 March 2010 - 19:48

I got my frame rates back now :)
I restored the updates using Lefty's 2nd method posted here;
http://riseofflight....php?f=48&t=6472">viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6472

I am still getting some stuttering, even though the frame rates are back up to normal, 45-60 for the most part, sometimes a little lower, other times higher. Anyway, that is like it usually runs. But the stuttering is new and still hasn't gone away.

I don't know if a complete reinstall will fix it or not. I may try that later.

Just tried that now, and it didn't help much at all. I did notice less pausing and freezing, but still unplayable. Thanks for the tip though.

#13 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:30

Well I went through the whole process again, uninstall, reinstall, run everything on low, run everything on high, different sound devices etc……all to no avail. ROF performs really crappy even at the lowest settings with 7% video memory used it sucks. The pausing and freezing are by far the most annoying issues, After about 30 seconds into the game I get a 15-45 second freeze everytime. I don't know what else to do, as it stands I can't play it at all. Please help NEOQB!!!! :x

#14 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:58

Man, I too had a pause. First time ever this game has done anything weird like that!
It was maybe 5 seconds, then back to playing again. Only did it once.

I'm still getting the stuttering and did see in Performance Monitor that RoF was accessing my HDD a pretty good bit. I don't know if that has anything to do with the stutters though. I never looked at Perfomance Monitor when running RoF before, never NEEDED to before :x

Hopefully the next update will smooth it back out for us. I am able to play, but the stuttering is annoying.

#15 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 06 March 2010 - 15:55

Yeah I sent a PM to Lefty on the matter with my dxdiag file and am hoping to hear back from him. Something else I may try is reinstalling my old video card drivers. The only reason I updated was because of the AA issue, and I can't remember if all this started before or after the install of the new drivers. Worth a shot, I am all tapped out of ideas.

#16 GBrutus

GBrutus

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:23

RoF has become unplayable for me since the latest update. It's a complete stuttering mess now which I'm at a loss to understand as I was getting excellent performance previously (well unless I had the audacity to switch on trackir and ffb at the same time :| ). I spent (or wasted) a couple of hours this evening going through all my settings but to no avail. No issues with any other games or software, just RoF…

#17 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:31

Well its pretty obvious to me that the update has caused the problem, I have tried everything under the sun to get it to where it was before but to no avail. I would like to see the old settings menu back, why did they mess with it anyway? It was fine. Hopefully Lefty will get back to me soon with some sort of idea on what to do to fix, if not I figure I'll put up a small ded server (mods on) and keep that up till it gets fixed.

#18 GBrutus

GBrutus

Posted 08 March 2010 - 23:01

Looks like I'm going to have to re-install RoF which I really hoped to avoid doing. Tried all my settings and can't figure out the problem. I can start a quick mission and all seems normal then it becomes a total choppy mess after a few seconds. Funny thing is my FPS stay high and fairly constant, in fact my FPS went up post patch. Just to be sure I dropped all my graphics settings to minimum but it makes no difference. I also turned off post effects in the startup config but that doesn't help either. What I'd like to know is whether Neoqb acknowledge there is a problem or if this is going to go the same way as the TrackIR issue.

#19 TroyMcClure

TroyMcClure

Posted 10 March 2010 - 19:31

Looks like I'm going to have to re-install RoF which I really hoped to avoid doing. Tried all my settings and can't figure out the problem. I can start a quick mission and all seems normal then it becomes a total choppy mess after a few seconds. Funny thing is my FPS stay high and fairly constant, in fact my FPS went up post patch. Just to be sure I dropped all my graphics settings to minimum but it makes no difference. I also turned off post effects in the startup config but that doesn't help either. What I'd like to know is whether Neoqb acknowledge there is a problem or if this is going to go the same way as the TrackIR issue.
I can report exactly the same situation.
Generally my FPS went up with the update. For example with the QMB in the Lille area I get some really good performance with no stutters. But in some missions, something triggers the stuttering I reckon and it becomes unplayable, whereas the reported FPS is still supposed to be high enough for smooth playing. For example, the first mission of the new campaign causes major stuttering on my machine. I tried putting all the details to the lowest level, turning all effects off with 7% expected load on the card. It still stutters badly.
I really hope Neoqb will acknowledge the issue and provide a fix soon.

Specs:
E8500 @ 4.3Ghz
4GB RAM
ATI HD4870 1GB
Win7 64bits

#20 GBrutus

GBrutus

Posted 10 March 2010 - 22:11

I can report exactly the same situation.
Generally my FPS went up with the update. For example with the QMB in the Lille area I get some really good performance with no stutters. But in some missions, something triggers the stuttering I reckon and it becomes unplayable, whereas the reported FPS is still supposed to be high enough for smooth playing. For example, the first mission of the new campaign causes major stuttering on my machine. I tried putting all the details to the lowest level, turning all effects off with 7% expected load on the card. It still stutters badly.
I really hope Neoqb will acknowledge the issue and provide a fix soon.

Specs:
E8500 @ 4.3Ghz
4GB RAM
ATI HD4870 1GB
Win7 64bits

Your system is a very similar spec to mine except I have an Nvidia 8800 GTX. I re-installed RoF last night and defragged but it's still unplayable. I tried the update restore function but that didn't help either. Oh, and changing back to onboard sound makes no difference at all. I think it's just a case of fingers crossed for the next update.

#21 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:15

I wonder out of how many of us that are experiencing these freezes and pauses are running dual core cpus, maybe something in the update did something with dual core support. Whatever the case I hope they find it and fix it soon, this is the first time since I have had the game that I couldnt run ROF in a playable state.

#22 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:02

I, but I always had stutters, freezing and RoF.exe failures, only the out of the box was running great. Still I think Neoqb has to something to make this game playable for dualcore users.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#23 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 12 March 2010 - 14:11

I, but I always had stutters, freezing and RoF.exe failures, only the out of the box was running great. Still I think Neoqb has to something to make this game playable for dualcore users.

I agree, although I am saving my pennies for a quad core CPU I dont want to have to wait until then to enjoy the game, and I shouldnt have to.

#24 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 12 March 2010 - 19:51

One thing is for sure here, as a WW1 flysim fan, THIS ROF IS A VERY NICE GAME, so I'm going to build a complete new quad system that is for sure.
Do not know what, could be a AMD 890Gx chipset, Intel 1156 or 1366 mobo.
Right now I'm very pleased by the release of a new MSI Fuzion system to combine different Vcards, like my old Nvidia7300LE-512 to my HD4890-1Gb or maybe a future Nvidia GTX4XX.
The new AMD890Gx mobo's are cheap and could also be combined to my HD4890 only then I have to wait for a better AMD CPU, because the Phenon 965 seems to be powerless for RoF, maybe by then a AMD sixcore will be released or by this time the buggy Fuzion technologie is improved?

#25 guss2

guss2

Posted 12 March 2010 - 22:02

Building a new system is always a good way to go if you can afford it. Sadly though , in today's
economy there are many people who just can't do it right now. I can see it if you have issues with
most of the games you play , but it's a shame if you can run most any other game out there with excellent
performance and only have problems with RoF. My computer easily runs Crysis , IL 2 , CoD2 Modern Warfare,
Fallout 3 ,Wings of Prey , Wolfenstein , CoD 4 and Silent Hunter 4 , all with very high or maxed out
settings and very high frame rates and all on Windows 7 64. So I'm not going to blame my system anymore,
I'll just boot up my Windows XP drive and play RoF in single player until the dev's fix the issues.

#26 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 13 March 2010 - 00:10

Building a new system is always a good way to go if you can afford it. Sadly though , in today's
economy there are many people who just can't do it right now. I can see it if you have issues with
most of the games you play , but it's a shame if you can run most any other game out there with excellent
performance and only have problems with RoF. My computer easily runs Crysis , IL 2 , CoD2 Modern Warfare,
Fallout 3 ,Wings of Prey , Wolfenstein , CoD 4 and Silent Hunter 4 , all with very high or maxed out
settings and very high frame rates and all on Windows 7 64. So I'm not going to blame my system anymore,
I'll just boot up my Windows XP drive and play RoF in single player until the dev's fix the issues.

Yeah that is the frustrating part for me right now, all my other games run really well on the highest settings, but when I set everything to low and get down to where ROF is only using 7% video memory and it still runs like crap, then there is something wrong with ROF. I really hope they fix this issue soon, I miss shooting down planes in flames.

#27 KrisKringle

KrisKringle

Posted 13 March 2010 - 02:43

My computer is new too. The funny thing is when the fps slows down, it all of a sudden speeds up and can barely control the plane at all. :x

#28 TroyMcClure

TroyMcClure

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:50

I was having another look around the forum to try to understand the issue and find possible fixes, I have just read the following from Lefty in this thread:
In the new (1.011) update we made some code optimisation, but due to new operation sistem CPU threads control it can cause ROF performance drop on Dual-core CPU systems with Win 7 compared to same XP system. So if you had any performance problems after Win 7 installation (and you run ROF ok on XP before) you should reduce graphic settings, otherwise you need to upgrate to quad core CPU.
I find this very disappointing and I am not sure this should be called optimization. I mean what is this? Asking what is possibly the majority of your customer base to switch to quads?
And then what, six cores?
The thing is, I would actually do it if I were certain that it would fix the issue, but I have serious doubts. And it might turn out that I have performance drops in other games that are Ghz hungry (I am running my E8500 @ 4.3Ghz, I can't get a quad-core at this speed).

And this has to be said one more time, reducing the graphic settings does not solve the issue.

#29 GBrutus

GBrutus

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:26

Surely there must be quite a few players with a dual core/win7 system? I'm getting to the stage of shelving this game just because of this crappy attitude from Neoqb. We're basically being told "tough shit". :|

#30 AI-Neoqb

AI-Neoqb

Posted 13 March 2010 - 14:16

It's been clear said several times - ROF doesn't support W7…
All complaint goes to W7 not to ROF.

#31 GBrutus

GBrutus

Posted 13 March 2010 - 15:17

Lefty, that's fair enough and I'm not suggesting that Neoqb are misleading people. What I'd like though is some clear communication from Neoqb as to whether they will look for a solution. I know they are not obligated but it would be nice if they would at least look into it. It appears that it's more than a mere handful of players affected by this. More and more people will gradually shift to Windows 7 and and not everyone can afford to upgrade their hardware because of one update. Believe me, I don't want to be ranting like this, I'd much rather be enjoying myself playing the game instead…

#32 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 13 March 2010 - 15:20

And does not support dualcore systems! :ugeek: !!!!

#33 yibbedidoo

yibbedidoo

Posted 13 March 2010 - 15:51

Why doesn't it say that on any of the retailers websites eg. simmarket, or aerosoft ?? it says vista is supported and many poeple could be misleaded thinking win7 is also supported because most vista programms also work on win7 :) I'm experiencing the following problem:
after buying this game 3 hours ago i wanted to do my career and after loading the game it says "Game Loading Complete Press P to continue" and nothing happens when i press P … i've had this before i tried to load the single patrol mission in demo mode and got the same problem … the weired thing is that the demo mission worked perfectly and so did the training mission… i have Win7 64bit
GTX285
i7 processor @ 2.66
i set the details in ROF to minimum
game doesn't work in fullscreen mode (ROF freezes black screen the game doesn't even load all i get is this black screen)

what is going on???? i've even given ROF admin rights AND set the compatability mode to WinXP SP3…
i can't get any mission to start. i just tried the quick mission and that didn't even load! ! !
it just froze! why doesn't this game work as it should i mean i even bought an extra plane(fokker dr.IIIF)

#34 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 13 March 2010 - 16:33

With all due respect Lefty that is a really lame statement. ROF was running on Windows 7 just fine until the 1.011 update. Are you telling me that I have to downgrade to get it to work right? Am I to understand that support for Windows 7 will never be added? If that is the case then I will no longer be able to support ROF. I have spent roughly $100.00 on this game. Considering that ROF came out in July, and knowing that Windows 7 was coming out just a few months later I would think that the logical thing to do is add windows 7 support.

#35 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 13 March 2010 - 16:36

And does not support dualcore systems! :ugeek: !!!!

Absolutely wrong. If you look on the back of the DVD case for the game it clearly states in the minimum system requirements CPU: INTEL CORE 2 DUO 2.4 GHZ, and if you don't believe me then check out this link to this very site: http://riseofflight..../about/features">http://riseofflight..../about/features

#36 TroyMcClure

TroyMcClure

Posted 13 March 2010 - 17:42

Okay.
One important piece of information missing: are you EVER going to support W7? If so, timeframe?

#37 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 13 March 2010 - 17:58

Okay.
One important piece of information missing: are you EVER going to support W7? If so, timeframe?

Amen!

#38 Morgoth

Morgoth

Posted 13 March 2010 - 19:09

Hi everyone!

Just a piece of information.

Sadly, since the last update, I also have all those stutters, smoothness issues, etcetera…
The game has simply become pretty unplayable.
But, I'm using Vista x64, not 7 (I used the RC version for 6 months, and RoF ran flawlessly on it).
Vista was released in January 2007, so I guess it's supported by RoF right?
So I suppose RoF is the culprit (well, not RoF itself, but the update).

RoF is an amazing game, and it really saddens me not being able to play it any-longer! :S

#39 Habu

Habu

Posted 13 March 2010 - 19:28

Sorry Morgoth 64 bits isn't support. Try Vista 32 bits. :roll:

#40 athlondude

athlondude

Posted 13 March 2010 - 19:37

Sorry Morgoth 64 bits isn't support. Try Vista 32 bits. :roll:

I ran ROF on Vista 64 bit Edition and never had any major problems at all, same with Windows 7 64 bit before the update. Afte the 1.011 update is when all the trouble started, at least for me, so whatever the update did, it broke it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users