Photo
- - - - -

News!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 AI-Neoqb

AI-Neoqb

Posted 05 February 2010 - 15:52

Please, find it here: http://riseofflight....GRANTED!!!.aspx">http://riseofflight....Blogs/post/2010 … ED!!!.aspx

#2 hq_Neca

hq_Neca

Posted 05 February 2010 - 15:54

This is going to be really really great update.
Thank you neoqb

#3 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 05 February 2010 - 15:59

"It's commonly understood that the Allies currently have the advantage in multiplayer battles. That's about to change."

really?….DRI is the best fighter in the sim IMHO…and we have DVIII….fokker DVIIF is just the Fokker DVII we have now in the game with stronger engine….easy money (same plane with new engine)?….sure i want DVIIF but would be nice to have Siemens SC. and S. Snipe and Triplane and….bug fixes/performance fixes
windsock fature is nice…..wher are teh two seaters? wher are the new entente fighters? Fixes?

Hovewer, I want to thank all the NeoQB team for their work….they are not the ones responsible…

#4 Herodotus

Herodotus
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 February 2010 - 16:00

I'm sure there a quite a few things that will come in the near future that haven't been mentioned here. On top of the previous Announcement (re: Mission Generator etc.) there is obviously a lot of work going on under the hood. The loosening of the DRM collar will be popular, and will hopefully incease loading times for missions. Yet it is good to see our Stats will still be collected online.
All-in-all a great update on the next Update.

#5 OTrish

OTrish

Posted 05 February 2010 - 16:16

Nice communication from Neoqb. Keep listening to your users like you're doing and ROF will tuen from a great game to a truly exceptional one :)
Maybe to early to ask but will the fact that no Internet is required for solo mode also mean faster load times?
Love the airsocks, this adds a great deal of realism to the whole flight, will be funny to see multiplayer missions where you start off on the field with a nice strong tail wind ….

#6 Sirocco

Sirocco

Posted 05 February 2010 - 16:28

The windsock looks great. It will certainly be an improvement to have to properly circle the field before landing rather than looking up wind direction in the briefing. And of course it allows for changeable weather conditions in future. Well done on a very attractive implementation. It's these details that really bring ROF to life.

We are completely aware that this change will simplify further creation of illegal copies, thus jeopardizing our potential income.

I hope this won't turn out to be a be careful what you wish for moment.

#7 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 05 February 2010 - 16:36

Seems like quite the package coming our way next week, well done :)

#8 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 05 February 2010 - 16:39

You just made my windsock stand at attention.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#9 Seiseki

Seiseki

Posted 05 February 2010 - 16:42

I'm a bit concerned about piracy though..
Now pirates will have access to all planes offline, while us paying customers can't even legally try out a plane before buying..

#10 Grim.Reaper

Grim.Reaper

Posted 05 February 2010 - 16:45

Great news and appreciate the update!

Just one clarification on the offline mode. It says that most offline modes will be available for single players, does that include the Career feature? Or does this only mean we can use the standard missions and new mission generator?

Thanks!

#11 Eldur

Eldur

Posted 05 February 2010 - 16:58

Great news about the windsocks, offline play and D.VIIF.

@neoqb:
But please consider: If you release the D.VIIF as a separate plane, the Germans will have 2 planes more than the Entente. Second, which is the major point IMHO: The D.VII is not the only plane that was available in different configurations. I don't want to pay the price of a complete aircraft for extra D.VIIF, Sopwith Dolphin with 4 guns, Oeffag Albies with Austro Daimlers (just some examples) etc etc.
It would be a wiser way to implement such upgrade options like different engines, armament, stability improvements (like the little extra struts on later Albies), ammo counters, speed gauges or whatever into the loadout screen. All these upgrades should be restricable so that a mission designer can allow the D.VII, but not the BMW engine for it.

#12 Seiseki

Seiseki

Posted 05 February 2010 - 17:02

Perhaps it will be available for like 1-2$, but requiring you to buy the regular D.VII first(I just realized the D.VII is one of the stock planes, silly me :D).
Even though it looks the same it won't fly the same, making the plane's flightmodel accurate costs money and time, so consider it an investment in a great flight sim :)

#13 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 05 February 2010 - 17:09

Very exciting, thanks for the news and most importantly - the wonderful DVIIF :D

#14 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 05 February 2010 - 17:19

Great news, well done, neoqb!

I'm not very happy about the DVIIF though, as it will ruin MP even more. MP clearly dominated by entente planes? What game are you playing? For me it's usually 2 entente flying against 6 central planes, players sticking to the dr1 like glue, and all we can do is to turn away and run because we still have a little advantage of speed. Nothing else. Now you come up with a late late late LATE German plane, it's gonna be even worse. I hope it won't be available in many missions, otherwise I'll go back to SP. My 2 cents.

#15 Silverfox

Silverfox

Posted 05 February 2010 - 17:32

Hey, its great about these upgrades and I am most assuredly looking forward to them but I was also hoping that the allied could have another plane to choose from, geez, talk about favoritism towards the central flyers :lol: . They already have enough planes that can turn on a dime and not spin out. Giving them ANOTHER even better plane is kinda like saying they don't know how to fly and need all the help they can get don't you think? :lol:

Well, anyhow, since I fly allied 90% of the time I think I will pass on buying this one if they are charging for it but I sure would like to spend some money on a new allied craft or even 2 seaters for either side.

Looking forward for this next update and thanks devs for your hard work and removing the all-ways connected from the single play. Looking forward to trying out the new OMB too. :D

#16 Der_Sevtl

Der_Sevtl

Posted 05 February 2010 - 17:40

Sounds good! I´m looking forward to this!

I think no side has the advantage in MP. Although the allies are alway outnumbered, the ones who fly allied planes are in (my opinion) better pilots (the wrong way round :P ).

#17 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 05 February 2010 - 17:44

Great news about the windsocks, offline play and D.VIIF.

@neoqb:
But please consider: If you release the D.VIIF as a separate plane, the Germans will have 2 planes more than the Entente. Second, which is the major point IMHO: The D.VII is not the only plane that was available in different configurations. I don't want to pay the price of a complete aircraft for extra D.VIIF, Sopwith Dolphin with 4 guns, Oeffag Albies with Austro Daimlers (just some examples) etc etc.
It would be a wiser way to implement such upgrade options like different engines, armament, stability improvements (like the little extra struts on later Albies), ammo counters, speed gauges or whatever into the loadout screen. All these upgrades should be restricable so that a mission designer can allow the D.VII, but not the BMW engine for it.

So you want to buy gauges and gadgets in the store? ;)

Btw Reflected, the D.VIIF came long before the D.VIII and in far larger numbers than the Dr.I which we currently see in every mission.

#18 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 05 February 2010 - 17:47

and in far larger numbers than the Dr.I which we currently see in every mission.

Or the N28, ha!

The DVIIF has to be the iconic counterpart of the SE5a, just like the Dr.1 is to the Camel.

#19 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 05 February 2010 - 17:58

It would be massive if you can BnZ in the DV11F!

#20 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 05 February 2010 - 18:15

Ooof. While I definitely want to see the DVIIF in-game, I do hope they give the allies something – Sopwith Snipe, or a slightly quicker SE5a, or improved visibility for the SPAD, or decreased energy bleed for N28 – something to even things out. The DrI is currently such a dominant plane, and the DVIII is no slouch either. Giving the Germans a second plane that is extremely easy to turn which can also climb very well would tilt things a bit to the Central Powers imo.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#21 MattM

MattM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 18:34

@neoqb:
But please consider: If you release the D.VIIF as a separate plane, the Germans will have 2 planes more than the Entente.
That, plus if they decide to improve the flightmodel of the DXII aswell (that i hope), the N17 will be as useless as it is right now and won't have a "counterpart" (the DXII), which basically means, that the germans have 3 more planes. :roll:

MP clearly dominated by entente planes? What game are you playing?
I think he means that, IF (big IF) both sides have the same amount of players, the entente side usually wins. And i think he's right with that. Of course, that theory falls short with 70+% german planes. I always join the side with less players and haven't joined the german side for 3 and a half months (haven't played this month regularly though).

Hoewever, i don't think that the MP is clearly dominated by any planes. For me it's clearly dominated by lag. :lol:

#22 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 05 February 2010 - 18:41

…a slightly quicker SE5a…
…improved visibility for the SPAD…

Looks like you're willing to change history to get a "fair" fight, LOL?

I can never understand why so many people want to even things out with the plane set. Life is not fair, war is certainly not fair! I have never seen a combat sim mission as a simple match, like playing tennis or chess. To me it's about immersion and the occasional moment when it just all works out for you.
To "even things out" try changing sides for a change or fly coop missions where you can secure an advantage by using tactics and teamwork!

Just my 2 cents….

#23 wrong_name_416

wrong_name_416

Posted 05 February 2010 - 18:45

Great news, well done, neoqb!

I'm not very happy about the DVIIF though, as it will ruin MP even more. MP clearly dominated by entente planes? What game are you playing? For me it's usually 2 entente flying against 6 central planes, players sticking to the dr1 like glue, and all we can do is to turn away and run because we still have a little advantage of speed. Nothing else. Now you come up with a late late late LATE German plane, it's gonna be even worse. I hope it won't be available in many missions, otherwise I'll go back to SP. My 2 cents.

Cant zoom and boom anymore ? hahahaha :twisted:

#24 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 05 February 2010 - 18:53

I can never understand why so many people want to even things out with the plane set. Life is not fair, war is certainly not fair! I have never seen a combat sim mission as a simple match, like playing tennis or chess. To me it's about immersion and the occasional moment when it just all works out for you.
To "even things out" try changing sides for a change or fly coop missions where you can secure an advantage by using tactics and teamwork!

Just my 2 cents….

Really? Because you know exactly how quickly an SE5a should accelerate? Or you've sat in the cockpit of a SPAD XIII and can vouch for the perspective and visibility under the top wing?

All of these planes are crude approximations of real-life objects which were infinitely complex and rarely well documented. And I'm not saying that ROF's flight models are "crude" by flight sim standards, but compared to reality? Obviously, shortcuts and approximations have to be made. Neoqb has done a great job of piecing together what information is out there, but it's not finished, it's not perfect, and in some cases it's probably not very correct.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#25 Kudlius

Kudlius

Posted 05 February 2010 - 19:00

All I want is connect to the online game, load guns, and kill several guys from the other side of the planet.
I am really impressed with the upcoming update, but problem is I can hardly find online more than 10 players any time of the day.
It means we need real time dogfight server, it means we need real 'slaughter'.

#26 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 05 February 2010 - 19:05

Just my 2 cents….

Really? Because you know exactly how quickly an SE5a should accelerate? Or you've sat in the cockpit of a SPAD XIII and can vouch for the perspective and visibility under the top wing?

All of these planes are crude approximations of real-life objects which were infinitely complex and rarely well documented. And I'm not saying that ROF's flight models are "crude" by flight sim standards, but compared to reality? Obviously, shortcuts and approximations have to be made. Neoqb has done a great job of piecing together what information is out there, but it's not finished, it's not perfect, and in some cases it's probably not very correct.

They will not be correct, but they have made them to their best ability to be like their real world counter-parts.

There is a different in being being unrealistic because of technical limits, or being unrealistic because you choose so for game balancing purposes.

Also, I am sure there is enough data out there to warrant a realistic top speed for the SE5a, as well as reports that say the Spad XIII had extremely bad visibility (they would even fly in smaller formations than their contemporary aircraft because of this, I read somewhere around here).

#27 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 05 February 2010 - 19:11

Wow, sure enough this the internet and every remark is taken personally… :roll:
Sorry JayD, but your post just triggered my gripe about the need to have a "fair" fight online. In fact I agree with you on the über dr1.

However,

…All of these planes are crude approximations of real-life objects…
this not a nice thing to say considering the effort Neoqb has put in to accurately recreate these old crates. And yes, I have seen most of these planes up close in museums and the SPAD XIII indeed had a horrible view from the cockpit…

#28 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 05 February 2010 - 19:45

the uber Dr.I is just the counterpart of the uber Camel

#29 GazzaV.Gazza

GazzaV.Gazza

Posted 05 February 2010 - 20:14

Since you blokes locked my D.VIIF thread so hastily, I'll have to say it here:

Thanks neoqb!

#30 Parazaine

Parazaine

Posted 05 February 2010 - 20:22

Lets look at the planes available to each side currently:

Entente

SPAD XIII - Great Plane
Nieuport 28 - Good Plane
Nieuport 17 - Admittedly badly outclassed
SE5a - Great Plane
Dolphin - Good plane
Camel - 'uber' (sorry dont know how to do umlaut)

Central

Fokker DVII - decidedly average
Albatross DV and DIII - both good planes
Pfalz DXII - awful imo
Pfalz DIIIa - Good plane
Fokker DR1 - 'uber'
Fokker DVIII - havent flown it

If you look at the relative strengths of the currently available planes assuming equal piloting ability then Entente has an edge with the equipment available to them.

It's no wonder Central pilots choose the DR1 so much - look what else we have!

I think an improved DVII (even if it's in the guise of the DVIIF) in no way unbalances multiplayer.

The people who are saying the Entente have worse planes to choose from should watch some of the pilots I fly against online and perhaps learn how to Boom and Zoom properly.

#31 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 05 February 2010 - 20:25

by my own personal definition "uber" is a new and different word since it is used in a different context than über and consequently doesn't need an umlaut :)

I agree with MattM btw, the new D.VII with D.IIIaü is quite good actually climbs better than both albatrosse and probably turns just aswell and it is 10 or so km/h faster, and a lot sturdier.

#32 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 05 February 2010 - 20:27

Wow, sure enough this the internet and every remark is taken personally… :roll:

Uh, yea, because you directly quoted me and followed with a snide remark.

…All of these planes are crude approximations of real-life objects…
this not a nice thing to say considering the effort Neoqb has put in to accurately recreate these old crates.

You don't read very carefully. I clearly stated that ROF's planes and flight models are not "crude" by flight sim standards, but compared to reality, they are approximations at best. That is a fact; it's a consequence of modeling anything with software.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#33 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:20

Just wonderful news… 8-)
A brand new QMB, a nice working windsock, an off line mode for SP…what a goodness!

But are you sure guys, we are going to have the new Fokker DVIIF in this next patch…?:
We are still developing this bird, and I'm looking forward to flying it myself!
:?

And are you sure to have new MP in this next patch…?:
Simultaneously, we are working on the new multiplayer mode.(…) I'll be sure to tell you more in future posts.

Anyway, thumbs up and well done Neoqb :P

#34 Caspermilktoast

Caspermilktoast

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:25

I feel bad for the devs, they spend countless hours listening to our wants and work hard to upgrade the game. Now all they get in return is more whinning………

Thanks neoqb for making the best WW1 flight sim ever and improving it often! Looking foward to the next patch!Oh yea, and thanks for listening to us about the d7 i would buy it if it cost 10 US dollars.

S!

Milktoast

what other company would give you a working windsock if you whinned enough????

#35 AI-Neoqb

AI-Neoqb

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:36

…And are you sure to have new MP in this next patch…?:
Simultaneously, we are working on the new multiplayer mode.(…) I'll be sure to tell you more in future posts.

As usual F-A_fifi - that'a a +1! ;)

#36 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:48

As usual F-A_fifi - that'a a +1!

:lol: :lol:

#37 Sir_Crashalotte

Sir_Crashalotte

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:17

This is a gareat news update. I am very happy to read all of this. I did buy RoF when I learned the internet connection for every session requirement would be dropped. So although Neoqb are concerned about piracy, in my humble opinion I think financially the decision they have made will be to their benefit rather than detriment.

Plus we also get back to the old debates - how many users of pirated copies would actually have forked out for the game to begin with? In my opinon far far fewer numbers than than those who will now actually go out and buy the game because of the changed internet requirements. It then becomes just an issue of morales - that some people get an unfair advantage over other people or otherwise simply take advantage of other people and stomp all over them. So what is new about that? I see it happen a dozen times a day in real life…

I had actually been unsuccessfully trying to get my game machine connected reliably to the internet for some time. But after trying very hard and failing to get a successful wireless connection working, I would have had to fork out a fair chunk of money to have either a new telephone access point installed or have a network cabler come around and run a lan cable from one part of the house to the other. If you have tried to find someone to do this, you will realise how much they lack enthusiasm for small jobs like that and come up with all the excuses in the book to avoid it.

My connection sometimes works, but it is terribly unreliable. Good enough to eventually download the update after a lot of disconnections though.

As for the windsocks, what a fantastic, immersive addition. They will really increase the enjoyment of the game, however I notice they seem to be mounted quite alot higher on their poles off the ground in the game than what I see at my local airport :)

#38 Eldur

Eldur

Posted 06 February 2010 - 15:54

So you want to buy gauges and gadgets in the store? ;)

I want a clean sim that doesn't end up with hundreds of different versions of the same plane. I've tried the Il-2 mods and I have stopped counting all the Bf-109G-6es, Spitfire Mk.Vs and Mk.IXes in there. Well, even without mods, there are lots of these, just because of little differences.

Still I'm going to pay for any plane because I want to support the devs making RoF better. And because I want those planes :lol:

the uber Dr.I is just the counterpart of the uber Camel

:lol:

The Albatros D.Va is still to slow BTW… and really, the D.XII needs fixing.

#39 FlyingShark

FlyingShark

Posted 06 February 2010 - 19:10

I want a clean sim that doesn't end up with hundreds of different versions of the same plane. I've tried the Il-2 mods and I have stopped counting all the Bf-109G-6es, Spitfire Mk.Vs and Mk.IXes in there. Well, even without mods, there are lots of these, just because of little differences.
You have a point there, however, if a plane only looks the same and only has a resemblence in its name but is still a whole other plane after all, I think it's well worth the price.
Just look at the SPAD XIII, it looks like the SPADVII but is a whole other plane after all, does that mean we don't want a SPADVII?
In the same vein, that new fokker has the name and look of the one we already have, but still, it's a whole other plane.

~S~

You can vote my post up by clicking the green arrow on the right.

#40 Flyer54

Flyer54

Posted 08 February 2010 - 18:51

This is a gareat news update. I am very happy to read all of this. I did buy RoF when I learned the internet connection for every session requirement would be dropped. So although Neoqb are concerned about piracy, in my humble opinion I think financially the decision they have made will be to their benefit rather than detriment.

I am another recent buyer who only bought the game after the 'single-player login to the internet is going away' announcement was made.

I have sim-buddies waiting for the patch before buying….

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users