Photo
- - - - -

Austro-Hungarian and Bulgarian Skin Packs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Alin_Alexandru

Alin_Alexandru

Posted 17 July 2021 - 18:37

And the two skin packs are done. I was thinking of making 2 separate threads but I'll keep it to a single one, with two separate packs. On this first post I'll have the Austro-Hungarian skins for the Oeffag Albatros D.III which has 5 skins total: 3 skins from the Romanian front, 1 from the Russian and 1 from the Albanian front. Download here: https://www.mediafir...ns_RoF.zip/file

The skins are:
-Oeffag Albatros D.III 53.12. This plane was used by FliK 20 in Galicia in June 1917
mmaf2ic.png

-Oeffag Albatros D.III 53.20. The first Albatros D III to arrive in Bukovina, it was flown by Zgf. Karl Semmelrock in July and August 1917. With this airplane Oblt. Hans Fischer of Kampfstaffel Gălăneşti claimed a fighter near Mihăileni on 3 October. 11 days later, Fw. Johann Obesio was shot down in it by Grigory Eduardovich Suk of the Imperial Russian Air Service during a dogfight South-East of Rădăuţi, in Romania
ROpUQGs.png

-Oeffag Albatros D.III 53.24. It was part of Flik 31 and Kampfstaffel Hârja (a reorganized Fliegerdetachement Nikitsch), autumn 1917. It arrived in the summer of 1917 and flew in plain finish until late August of the same year, when all the aircraft of the 1st Army Sector in Transylvania had their wingtips painted black. Originally, the Eiserne Kreuz (Iron Cross) on the fuselage sides had the standard white outline, but some photographs show that this was blackened in operational use and then the whole cross was erased, leaving only a light ‘shadow’ on the darker plywood background. Four different pilots claimed single victories with 53.24, making it perhaps the most successful fighter on the Romanian front. 

I've made the skin before (https://www.sas1946....ic,66705.0.html) where I painted only the underside of the wings in black, however since then I've found a photo of a similar Albatros with black wingtips and it appeared that the black paint went over both sides ( http://fly.historicw...t-JosiKiss4.jpg) so I made this modification as well
RvyjBh0.png

-Oeffag Albatros D.III 52.30. Part of FliK 6, Tirana, June 1917. The ‘Jolly Roger’ insignia was possibly created by Oblt Karl Benedek. D III 53.30 was initially fitted with an upper-wing Schwarzlose machine gun. Following a crash on 26 August 1917 the aircraft was repaired and fitted with a synchronised gun. In the spring of 1918 it was flown by the ace Julius Arigi
0NShy16.png

-Oeffag Albatros D.III 153.24, flown by Oblt. Hans Fischer of Kampfstaffel Gălăneşti, October 1917. It saw service on the Eastern Front with Kampfstaffel Hârja. Later, when it was with Kampfstaffel Gălăneşti, Zgf. Wilhelm Haring was flying it when he claimed a two-seater on 7 November
DARnZIR.png

This is the Austro-Hungarian pack.

#2 Alin_Alexandru

Alin_Alexandru

Posted 17 July 2021 - 19:13

Second post, this is about the Bulgarian Pack. As certain aircraft were not in the game I used others as a stand in. The pack contains 10 skins in total: 4 skins for the Roland D.II (Pflaz D.IIIa), 2 skins for the DFW C.V, 1 skin for the Albatros C.II (DFW C.V), 1 skin for the LVG B.II (DFW C.V), 1 skin for the Fokker E.III, 1 skin for the Fokker D.VII. Download here: https://www.mediafir...ns_RoF.zip/file

These are:
-Roland D.II, 1917 
ocaRnp0.png

-Roland D.II 2895/16 "Knyaz Kiril" ('Prince Cyril', or at least that's what google translate identified the text as, if anyone knows Bulgarian and can help that would be appreciated :)) of 1 Aeroplanno Otdelenie, Belitsa airfield, 1918
SLdV235.png

-Roland D.II 28../16 (isn't clear, I chose to just erase the two missing numbers instead of putting exact ones), Levunovo airfield, Macedonia. Summer 1917
8D7FLlz.png

-Roland D.II, Bulgarian Air Service
kW5syPb.png

-DFW C.V, flown by Cpt. Asen Agov, Macedonia, Summer-Autumn 1918
pGJOg5f.png

-DFW C.V with mixed German/Bulgarian markings, post-war
uPI5mjC.png

-Albatros C.III "Tutrakan", 1916 or 1917
FMr1UIo.png

-LVG B.II B1510/15 of 1.o aeroplanno otdelenie, flown by Cpt. Radul Milkov, the CO of 1st airplane detachment (1 Aeroplanno Otdelenie), Belitsa airfield, Salonika front, mid 1916
QZUq1cO.png

-Fokker E.III (couldn't find an actual photo but I found a profile of a Fokker E.III, though it was used for training), Bojurishte airfield, 1915
3OauIWQ.png

-Fokker D.VII 5322/18, Bojurishte airfield, 1919. Bulgaria received 8 Fokker D.VII in September 1918 but these aircraft saw no action. 7 were eventually scrapped in accordance with the peace treaty. The 8th flew as a two-seater after the war.
wwrRM9u.png

And this is the Bulgarian pack. Note, I made skins only for the 'Roland D.II' and not for the D.III as well since from what I've seen those planes had the same camouflage patterns but no personal markings, just the usual markings, so I saw no point in making them.

#3 FliegerEins

FliegerEins

Posted 18 July 2021 - 12:06

Thank you very much for the skin packs. It is so refreshing to see skins and pilot histories from the other fronts, including post-war ones. Please keep up the excellent work! I will download later when I have time. I needed to thank you right away for your great work.  :icon_e_salute:  :icon_e_salute:  :icon_e_salute:

#4 Alin_Alexandru

Alin_Alexandru

Posted 18 July 2021 - 14:34

And thank you for the Bulgarian skins suggestion! It was something fun to do.  :icon_e_smile:

Up next I'm going to make Romanian Farman skins for the FE2b, good thing that the nose of the FE2b can be painted easily.

#5 FliegerEins

FliegerEins

Posted 18 July 2021 - 23:57

Downloaded both packs. I am looking forward to your next project. Thank you! :icon_e_salute:  :icon_e_salute:  :icon_e_salute:

#6 FlyingSaucer99

FlyingSaucer99
  • LocationHellas Basin, Mars

Posted 19 July 2021 - 22:47

Up next I'm going to make Romanian Farman skins for the FE2b, good thing that the nose of the FE2b can be painted easily.

I´m really looking forward to this project! It's a shame we don't have a Voisin or a Farman in ROF, but the Fe2b is good enough . 

The Pfalz-Roland skins were very good indeed, actually they were a very nice stand-in. This is what we really are here in the community of ROF, creative people, who find solutions where there seems to be none.  :icon_lol:

But do I smell some Serbian skins coming in the future????

#7 Alin_Alexandru

Alin_Alexandru

Posted 20 July 2021 - 00:42

I´m really looking forward to this project! It's a shame we don't have a Voisin or a Farman in ROF, but the Fe2b is good enough . 

Yeah, real shame we don't have those planes, especially the Farman F.40 as it was a plane really used by Romania (and Serbia too since you were talking about those Serbian skins :icon_e_biggrin: ). The FE2b is a good stand in as looks only but on how it handles it doesn't work for the role that the Farmans were used (Farmans could be used as fighters as well).

And about the Serbian skins I already found some resources (profiles and some photos). So that will be the next project after the Romanian Farmans.

#8 FlyingSaucer99

FlyingSaucer99
  • LocationHellas Basin, Mars

Posted 21 July 2021 - 20:05

Yeah, real shame we don't have those planes, especially the Farman F.40 as it was a plane really used by Romania (and Serbia too since you were talking about those Serbian skins :icon_e_biggrin: ). The FE2b is a good stand in as looks only but on how it handles it doesn't work for the role that the Farmans were used (Farmans could be used as fighters as well).

And about the Serbian skins I already found some resources (profiles and some photos). So that will be the next project after the Romanian Farmans.

Yea, the Farman F.40 would be extremely useful, and I believe, not only for those 2 countries, but for most of the Entente Air Corps during the beginning of the war

It was one of the first aircraft in which air combat tactics were learned and perfected, for most of the Entente countries (together with the Morane Parasol).

But since we do not have it, lets have fun with the Fe2b  ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users