Photo
- - - - -

Hard Disc or Download?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bugdewde

bugdewde

Posted 26 April 2021 - 17:47

I purchased an old hard disc version still in the original box with a key, etc.
I had to use an external disc reader, as my new computer doesn't have a disc reader.
It installed and put an icon on the desktop.
When I attempt to open the game, it get a series of 6 or 7 error message pop ups.
- 2 or 3 "side-by-side configuration is incorrect" pop ups....
- 4 CreateProcess failed code 740s.

Needless to say, I'm not a computer guy ...... I've been flying Microsoft Combat Flight Sims I,II & III on an old Windows Millennium computer for years (never online).
Decided to use the new computer but MCFS doesn't even load on the new computer.
So I decide to try ROF on the new computer. No real desire to fly online either.

I've seen some posts where troubleshooting ROF seems to be getting away from a hard disc and people prefer to download the free game.

Would this be a better option for me?
Seems a shame to waste a disc (game disc cost $20) and a key with a few planes already on it.

#2 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 26 April 2021 - 20:52

Stay away from using any old disks to install the game - too much has changed since then.  Best bet is to download and install the latest free to play version from the RoF website, and then do update(s) from there.  Once you get it working properly that way, you can probably activate the key from the old version you bought to get access to whatever planes or other DLC may have come with that version (unless it was a used copy and the previous owner already used that key, in which case the thing you bought is basically worthless).  Fortunately, the RoF content goes on sale at really steep discounts (like 50-75%) fairly often, so it shouldn't cost you much to replicate whatever content might have been in that boxed version.

When you install the website F2P version, be sure to let it install all the MS/third party stuff it wants to (except you can skip the Adobe reader if you already have one installed) - you might also need to go to the MS site and D/L the 2008 version of the MS distributable - search the forums for "side-by-side" for more info on why you need both the 2005 and 2008 versions (only the 2005 version comes with the game/update process for some reason, IIRC).

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#3 pocketshaver

pocketshaver

Posted 02 May 2021 - 17:52

Just get the free version from STEAM.     

the rise of flight website version is an 8.6 gigabyte download. You will then be forced to download another 1 gb install file of plane skin crap and etc. 

If you have windows 10 PROFESSIONAL youll NEVER get the launcher to work, so its dig through the directory files to find the back up EXE file to get the game running.

Steam is a 5.6 gigabyte download.    It installs stuff needed to play the game.  It DOESNT have the default "rise of flight launcher" and actually WORKS the first time around. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users