Photo
- - - - -

Trouble landing Albatros D.Va at Houplin

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tednturanski

tednturanski

Posted 26 April 2021 - 01:51

I need some help with how to land the Albatros D.Va at Houplin aerodrome.  I'm new to ROF, and this is the first ROF plane I've attempted to fly.  I take off and fly OK, and can make a good landing approach to landing, but then what looks like it should have been a good setup to landing ends with what seems to be ground loop ending in a crash.  I've attempted different speeds many times, but somehow I'm missing the right kind of touch at or just after touchdown.  I've made hundreds of landings in other sims with other planes, but this has me stumped.  What can I try?  What do I need to look out for or do differently?  I would appreciate any help from some of the more experienced ROF pilots.  And, thank you for any help.

Sincerely,  Ted,   from Lake City, Michigan  USA

#2 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 26 April 2021 - 09:27

Ground looping is hard to avoid in many of these planes. (Alby's shouldn't be the worst for this though :P  )

It may be over-modelled in game - It's been talked about before..

Anyway, I'd suggest you'll get better with experience.

Try and be pro-active with rudder rather than re-active.

'Wiggle' it left and right as you're rolling, rather than waiting to make a 'correction'. Thus you're taking more control rather than letting the plane do it's own thing.

Stick-back will help you slow down a bit.

Good luck and let us know how you're getting on.

Salute !

ZF.

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#3 Steamboat_Willie

Steamboat_Willie

Posted 26 April 2021 - 14:17

I need some help with how to land the Albatros D.Va at Houplin aerodrome. I'm new to ROF, and this is the first ROF plane I've attempted to fly. I take off and fly OK, and can make a good landing approach to landing, but then what looks like it should have been a good setup to landing ends with what seems to be ground loop ending in a crash. I've attempted different speeds many times, but somehow I'm missing the right kind of touch at or just after touchdown. I've made hundreds of landings in other sims with other planes, but this has me stumped. What can I try? What do I need to look out for or do differently? I would appreciate any help from some of the more experienced ROF pilots. And, thank you for any help.
Sincerely, Ted, from Lake City, Michigan USA

Lake City? Lake Missauki still full of pike? Beautiful Place. I'm south you in Jackson. As far as the landings... I tend to dead stick them all. Sometimes by choice..;o)

#4 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 26 April 2021 - 14:53

I did a lading test with the DVa and it requires no rudder at the landing. Just as the plane starts to stop is that you have to apply some right rudder. But with no wind. You could use rudder from the beginning just to have the plane in your hands, but it is just for that.

You should also, always when you login into the game, to go on the tool icon, controls, yaw tab and tap you rudder both ways. You can see the rudder being applied at the curve graphics. All my controllers login misaligned (it is not related to driver calibration). When you tap the rudder in the yaw tab, it centers it. So if you try to fly without doing it, I do ground loops even at take off.

On the rotaries you have to have more rudder control.

"There will be honor enough for us all."

#5 tednturanski

tednturanski

Posted 26 April 2021 - 20:35

Thank you, Zooropa_Fly, Steamboat_Willie, and SeaW0lf for your help.  I read your responses, took to the air, and had three successful landings in a row.  

Your help meant a lot to me because being new to ROF, I was really liking what I saw, but was quite frustrated with my first dozen attempts at landing ending in failure.  

What you said, especially about the rudder made all the difference in the world.  I have the ROF United plus Channel Battles through Steam, so there's a lot for me to look forward to in this sim.  YOU HAVE UNLOCKED THE DOOR of this world for me.  Also, so nice to meet all of you on this forum, and also to learn Willie is from Michigan too.  Sincerely,   Ted

#6 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:29

Also, one small tip to add:

On tail-draggers, once you're on the ground and below flying speed it can be quite helpful to pull the stick full back (ie. plant the tail) and add some throttle to increase airflow so that the rudder is effective again. That will help you counteract any ground-loop tendencies...  The trick, of course, is to make sure you *can't* take off again if you pull the stick back, otherwise, you'll leave the ground, and likely stall & crash...  So, timing (and some practice) is important, but full back stick, a little throttle, and rudder use will help directional control and alleviate ground looping.

Regards,

4 S!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users