- - - - -

Logitech G940 Rudder Mod - Question

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 20 January 2021 - 21:13

Hi guys, I think my G940 rudder pot is at the end of its life. It always had spikes, as most G940 owners can attest, but over the last year or so I'm having real difficulties to align the plane for a shot*. Sometimes I get a clean shot, but most of the times it is a struck of luck. It is not that enjoyable anymore and it affects my performance and even maneuvers.

*I cleaned it and everything the best way possible.

I found this thread that seems to be from Sokol (seems just like him): https://forums.mudsp...rudders/3301/17

He says: "A good option, not too cheap like the above but not too expensive: replace the pot with Bi-Tech 6120 HALL sensor - pay attention in "electric angle and don’t get the wrong model. :slight_smile: Will be need some change in axis placement, but is wired like a conventional pot."

From the looks of it, it seems to be like a normal pot. I have no problem to adapt the axis placement (I'm good with tools). 

My question is: do I only need to adapt the axis placement and wire the wires just like the original pot that I have in my G940? That would be ideal, since I can't grasp the arduino mod and there is no tutorials out there for the wiring process.

Anyways, I appreciate any input. I was going to buy a VKB rudder from Aliexpress (which is pretty reliable to me) but the buggers removed the standard shipping and DHL not only makes the price double, but it means that I'm goona be 100% taxed in Brazil (the standard shipping goes through the Brazilian mail and is a 50% chance to be taxed on pricy products), which means the product will cost more than three times the original price, since the taxing is over the combined price of the product and the shipping.

Anyways, I'm looking for options to fix my pedal.

"There will be honor enough for us all."

#2 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem
  • LocationR E S I G N E D veryuseful.info/rof

Posted 20 January 2021 - 22:05

Looking at the datasheet, the terminals of this device are clearly labelled, so all you have to do is connect a voltmeter to the existing pot to determine and note which is +V, wiper and -V.  Then connect those wires to the corresponding terminals on the new device.

In my culture, when one admits to making a correctable mistake, one corrects it.

#3 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 20 January 2021 - 22:17

Cool, that's what it looked like to me, I just wasn't sure.

Thanks. I'll try to order it.

#4 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 20 January 2021 - 22:28

Cool, that's what it looked like to me, I just wasn't sure.

Thanks. I'll try to order it.

Make sure you get the one with a rotation angle closest to your existing pot.

Did you see this post?

In my culture, when one admits to making a correctable mistake, one corrects it.

#5 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 20 January 2021 - 22:40

Make sure you get the one with a rotation angle closest to your existing pot.

Did you see this post?

Yeah, I did the spike fix a few months after I bought the G940. The problem is on the pot itself (for all acounts, Logitech used cheap pots that spiked out of the box).

I'll check the rotation angle. I think Sokol states the angle in the same post.

#6 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 21 January 2021 - 05:45

From the list of sensors, it is the 0-60º one. Sokol was saying the ideal is from 30 to 60º to maintain a good resolution (bits). I will order through a router as soon as I get it figured out, most likely Shopfans. From DHL, directly from the store, the cost will come close to a brand new Saitek pedal here in Brazil (lol). From Shopfans the cost is pretty reasonable.

I'll update the process for whoever is interested. I might take a while though. I'm not sure when I'll have the time to see it through. The world is not that globalized yet (lol). 

#7 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:31

I just ordered two of the 6127V1A60L.5. I’m just waiting on the credit card confirmation. If it does not go through, I'll pay with PayPal. I'm using a forwarding service. The Brazilian mail has a branch in Miami.

I'll let you guys know [if it worked out].

#8 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 02 March 2021 - 18:32

The buggers finally arrived. I'll test it as soon as have some time. I'll post the results here.

Attached Files

#9 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 04 April 2021 - 02:52

Yesterday I had some time to test it. The sensor did not fry, which is a good thing (the black wire is the ground), but it did not work properly. It would reset the pedal to the left, but that's all. The controller might be running with 3.5V (sensor is 5V) to compensate for the bad quality pot, according to Sokol.

So I have to buy an arduino and make it a standalone pedal.

Back to square zero. It might take me a year or two to figure the arduino puzzle.

#10 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 05 April 2021 - 18:10

So I have to buy an arduino and make it a standalone pedal.

I don't see any reason to do that.  Provided nothing other than the original sensor is defective, your pedal unit already comprises everything required.

When you tested the new sensor, were you able to read a varying voltage at Vout as you rotated the shaft?

#11 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 05 April 2021 - 19:48

When you tested the new sensor, were you able to read a varying voltage at Vout as you rotated the shaft?

I don't have a multimeter. I just connected the wires and tested it. From what Sokol writes, these controls are 5V, hence why he referred that hall sensor, but since Logitech used a poor pot, they lowered the voltage to 3.5V to prevent spikes. I think this is what they did with the Thrustmaster one. Or something like it.

So if the hall did not work, it is because the G940 is 3.5V. So I would have to buy an arduino for the hall to work with 5V.

#12 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 05 April 2021 - 19:57

I don't have a multimeter.

Fix that problem first, then make decisions based on measurements.

#13 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 05 April 2021 - 20:08

Fix that problem first, then make decisions based on measurements.

But the question is, if the sensor did not work, the multimeter will not help. Better to buy the arduino, because then I know it is going to work. Now if I had the option to buy 3.5V sensors, the multimeter would help me to determine which sensor should I get.

I have no choice other than to buy the arduino and make it a standalone pedal with the MMjoy2 firmware.

#14 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 05 April 2021 - 20:25

I'm trying to simplify things, because these electronics mods are a maze. Back then I watched a video to see how to use the multimeter and the guy talked as the viewers were electricians. I watched a couple more videos and gave up, hence why I tested the sensor without being sure that the blak wire was the ground, because Sokol said that if the wires were wrong, only the sensor would fry. So I gambled with the sensor.

I'm gonna get the arduino board and open a post showing the three wires, the board and ask in an arduino forum where each wire goes on the board, because this is the only way I'm gonna get this done.

I don't even regret to have bought the sensors because they are pot like, and this is going to make things simpler, even if later on I decide to build a DIY pedal.

#15 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 05 April 2021 - 23:30

But the question is, if the sensor did not work, the multimeter will not help.

A multimeter always helps because it allows you to determine what is happening, when otherwise you're just shooting in the dark.  If you had a meter, you would have certainty about which wire on the original pot does what.  That would allow you to wire the new sensor with certainty.  The only uncertainty a meter creates is how you ever managed without it.

A multimeter has two leads with probes. Set it to a suitable voltage range then having determined the two locations across which you wish to measure a voltage, touch one probe to one location and the other probe the remaining location. That's it.

If I were faced with your situation, I would reconnect the original pot to determine:

1. The voltage supplied to the potentiometer.  If this meets the minimum required by the sensor, it should work provided that when connected, the sensor doesn't cause this voltage to drop.

If the voltage is too low, that problem can addressed.

2. The voltage range appearing at the pot's wiper terminal as the pedals move through their full range.  This voltage is best measured relative to the 0v line, not either of the remaining terminals on the pot, as neither of these may be necessarily connected directly to 0v or +5v.

Armed with the above data, you would be able to determine why your new sensor does not work and what remedial action can be taken.

Even if you obtain an Arduino and associated software, you will still need a sensor and you will still be faced with the same task of interfacing it.

#16 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 06 April 2021 - 00:19

Even if you obtain an Arduino and associated software, you will still need a sensor and you will still be faced with the same task of interfacing it.

I might do that, but chances are very slim that the controler is giving 5V to the sensor. When Sokol said about the 3.5V thing, I think he was like "I forgot to mention that Logitech tweaked the voltage to compensate for the bad pot".

I'll see what can I do. Thanks for the imput.

#17 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 06 April 2021 - 02:48

I might do that, but chances are very slim that the controler is giving 5V to the sensor.

Having read the datasheet for that device, it's clear that it must be powered directly from the +5v and 0v rails, not the +v and -v wires going to the pot.  Those two should be left disconnected and their ends insulated.  The attached schematic shows the way I would connect it:

Attached File  hall_sensor_diag.gif   12.04KB   0 downloads

#18 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:02

Having read the datasheet for that device, it's clear that it must be powered directly from the +5v and 0v rails, not the +v and -v wires going to the pot.  Those two should be left disconnected and their ends insulated.  The attached schematic shows the way I would connect it:

attachicon.gifhall_sensor_diag.gif

Cool, thanks a lot! I'll try it. Maybe next month. I'm slammed for the next couple weeks.

Cheers,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users