- - - - -

Gunners Lethality - can we check it?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 05 January 2021 - 17:59

So today there was a player apparently flying and gunning with a Bristol, and the old people know what it means, half the field chasing the guy and him shooting everyone down from 300/400+ yards. Of course he got a load of kills at the end of mission being at number 1 with almost 30 kills or something.

So I always suspected that gunners don’t abide by the bullet dispersion. In general he was taking pieces off of my plane from very far distances in single bursts, the minimum just blowing my engine, so the bullet concentration should be very high. The question is, this is not what happens in regular guns facing forward. We can even blow an engine in a merge, but to take pieces off a plane I only see with improved gunnery.

Is there a way to check if the gunners are affected by the bullet dispersion option or they remain as improved gunnery? Because for sure something looks [very] odd on those gunners, not even getting into the oddness of people being able to fly and gun at the same time (discussed to death).

Anyways, perhaps through the lua files can people see it?

"There will be honor enough for us all."

#2 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem
  • LocationR E S I G N E D veryuseful.info/rof

Posted 05 January 2021 - 21:41

Is there a way to check if the gunners are affected by the bullet dispersion option or they remain as improved gunnery?

It's very simple: Set-up missions with and without improved gunnery. For each, take the gunner's seat while plane is parked, zoom-in, fire the gun and watch the dispersion pattern.

Let me save you the trouble; there is a difference.

In my culture, when one admits to making a correctable mistake, one corrects it.

#3 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 05 January 2021 - 22:28

The visual cue might not account for everything, the same way they are having trouble in FC. Because this has been talked since 2015 when that guy started flying and gunning. Several old aces were saying the same thing, some just infuriated. When you fly this for years of course we see when something is off. 

The difference from forward guns to gunners is clear. You get shot at and things start to fall off, your engine blows, sometimes your wings come off, witch is not easy with bullet dispersion, and this from 300/400+ yards. In the past I had my whole left section of my Dr1 wings to detach. I flew a lot with the Dr.1 and even to lose a portion of my top wing was a rarity.

We had this problem before. No one could point where the crack really is. But there is a crack. And the mission just go bananas with everyone chasing these people and getting shot down. If you don't do that, they sneak in below the dogfights to shot at people anyways. 

Hence why I'm asking if anyone has any clue where the crack is.

#4 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 06 January 2021 - 01:30

There is no crack.  Your engine is more vulnerable from the front.  Nothing to see here.

In my culture, when one admits to making a correctable mistake, one corrects it.

#5 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 06 January 2021 - 02:58

You don't even know what you are talking about. Engine? Lol...

#6 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 06 January 2021 - 03:26

You don't even know what you are talking about. Engine? Lol...

Well that's what I thought I understood from your ramblings. It's possible that some types of guns may be modelled to be more effective; often I get the impression that the Lewis does more damage than the Vickers, but I could be wrong. 

Whatever the situation is, and even if by chance you are able to demonstrate a problem, at this stage do you really expect any changes?

#7 Leftenant_Gerald

Leftenant_Gerald
  • LocationUnited States EST

Posted 06 January 2021 - 04:26

at this stage do you really expect any changes?

Sir,

Although I do not have the belief that any more changes will come to RoF...whether that be in the way of a new update or something similar...there is still a...and I must admit...very very small hope that one day someone will come back to fix these problems...it is very far-fetched to me...but that hope is still there...I realize that anything I say will be beaten into the ground immediately...but I just wanted to say that anyways.

Salute!

-Gerald

Salute! The Youngest Geezer Around   :icon_e_salute: 

PP logo1 25.jpg

#8 Ace_Ivo

Ace_Ivo
  • Locationthe Netherlands

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:28

The visual cue might not account for everything, the same way they are having trouble in FC. Because this has been talked since 2015 when that guy started flying and gunning. Several old aces were saying the same thing, some just infuriated. When you fly this for years of course we see when something is off. 

The difference from forward guns to gunners is clear. You get shot at and things start to fall off, your engine blows, sometimes your wings come off, witch is not easy with bullet dispersion, and this from 300/400+ yards. In the past I had my whole left section of my Dr1 wings to detach. I flew a lot with the Dr.1 and even to lose a portion of my top wing was a rarity.

We had this problem before. No one could point where the crack really is. But there is a crack. And the mission just go bananas with everyone chasing these people and getting shot down. If you don't do that, they sneak in below the dogfights to shot at people anyways. 

Hello

I know who 'that guy is', he always flies the Halberstadt Cl.2 or the Bristol Fighter and he always hits your engine when you do a head on with him so I don't do that anymore. It seemes he is just a very good gunner and a nice guy. But it can be annoying sometimes when you are in a good dogfight and he comes in with his guner and shoots your engine up :icon_e_deadman: .

Yes Gerald, let's hope that someday all problems will be fixed :icon_e_smile:

S!

Ace.

#9 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 06 January 2021 - 11:04

It is not about being a good gunner. Sometimes we don't even hear or see bullets. Your wing just pop off and you are left wondering what the hell happened. They will not fix anything that we find that is wrong, but we can point the problem and let people aware that it is there.

#10 pocketshaver

pocketshaver

Posted 12 January 2021 - 07:40

well you CAN      ALMOST     get the aldis sight to act like a rifle scope if you zoom in really good.   

But that's best when your sneaking in on a bomber from behind

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users