Photo
- - - - -

Who is playing on MP right now ? A stand alone program.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 knalp

knalp
  • LocationNew Zealand. ( ex. Scotland )

Posted 01 December 2020 - 20:39

" Right Now. " TM

Program logs into the master server and reads who is doing what on MP.

Displays this, updates list regularly.

One double click starts the program and displays who is on what server.

It's super fast, no nonsense and needs no logging in/passwords or other BS etc etc.

All it is doing is reading some data from the master server.

Start your PC, click on the program and instantly see who is on what server.

This kind of thing is KEY to getting people flying.  

Why the devs have not made something like this ....

If you have to do something the long way round you write a program that makes this

automated OR, easier. Basic computer science.

Can we get this done by Xmas ???

S!

Knalp.

N17 002.jpg

normal program will resume momentarily...

#2 Scytta

Scytta
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 December 2020 - 21:33

Good idea. And whilst we're on the build spec, maybe add 'with choice of notification medium e.g sms, email' etc.,

post-658600-0-44352500-1606874723.jpg 

#3 Scytta

Scytta
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 December 2020 - 21:33

Good idea. And whilst we're on the build spec, maybe add 'with choice of notification medium e.g sms, email' etc.,

post-658600-0-44352500-1606874723.jpg 

#4 knalp

knalp

Posted 01 December 2020 - 22:37

IDEAS !!!!! Great!!!!

As an armchair designer ( yes I do design and make things ) I would err on the side of caution and focus on the core functionality.

A)Read and display MP server and player list in real time.

The program should run on various devices ( PC, cell phone, tablet, net book, ebook, smart watch, car, microwave oven etc )

The option to send alerts will involve various issues and questions which will require time and effort to instantiate.

Possibly overriding the core functionality... I mean do we really want tanks in our WW2 flight sim ???

What I want and what I think other people want is the ability to crank up a program QUICKLY that informs

the status of ALL the servers currently connected to the master server and who is flying.

Now here is a really silly idea...

You can CHAT directly with the players through this program.

I can see this being an issue for various reasons... but in a perfect world it would be pretty cool.

( hackers, spammers, assholes etc would just run riot ...so never mind...)

S!

Knalp.

N17 002.jpg

#5 Leftenant_Gerald

Leftenant_Gerald
  • LocationUnited States EST

Posted 01 December 2020 - 23:18

I think it would be very nice to have something that would let you know how many people are on the servers, especially since I have a slower computer so I don't like to have to load up RoF to see if there is anyone on multiplayer. But I don't think that it should show you who is on, I'm probably going to sound like a grumpy old person when I say this (which I'm not by a long shot)...but I'm a bit into Cyber Security, and it would be relatively simple to write a program that would moniter when and who people are on and compile that into a document/spreadsheet...which most people probably wouldn't want others to track when they are on and for how long...Just my thoughts, take them or leave it...

Salute gents!

-Gerald

Salute! The Youngest Geezer Around   :icon_e_salute: 

PP logo1 25.jpg

#6 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem
  • LocationR E S I G N E D veryuseful.info/rof

Posted 02 December 2020 - 00:49

" Right Now. " TM

Program logs into the master server and reads who is doing what on MP.

Displays this, updates list regularly

.....yadda yadda.

That is the most mistaken assertion and belief regarding multiplayer that I have ever seen postulated; in fact I would struggle to conceive of anything more damaging.  We've had this 'debate' not long ago regarding server-listing sites.  They're no doubt a gratifying project for their creator, but utterly counterproductive to the furtherance of multiplayer gaming, and this idea is simply an extension of these sites' functionality.  The counter-argument considers the extreme hypothetical scenario in which a predominant majority (or greater) of players come to rely on this system instead of taking the radical action of seeding servers themselves.  It would lead inevitably to an exacerbation of what may be interpreted as the status quo, namely everyone waiting for someone else to join first.  Ultimately there could be only one outcome for which I'm sure you would not want to be responsible,

Could you survive the global ignominy and humiliation that it would bring upon you?  Would you want your name as a footnote in WikiPedia explaining the demise of multiplayer gaming?

We need a solution that would have the opposite and desired effect, namely an enhancement to the servers themselves in the form of an aid to seeding.  Perhaps a system whereby a lone player could simply occupy an otherwise empty server, thereby indicating their online presence to others,  In the event that a subsequent player were to join, the first player would receive an audio alert, enabling them to be engaged in other activities while waiting for a companion player, with no need to keep a constant vigil on the server.  It just needs a champion to arise and implement such functionality; the irony being that I seem to have a subconscious memory of someone close to home having done exactly that.

It's one thing to have a solution, quite another for others to recognise it.

In my culture, when one admits to making a correctable mistake, one corrects it.

#7 knalp

knalp

Posted 02 December 2020 - 03:21

That is the most mistaken assertion.... etc etc etc ...

I cannot deny that "mucking in" is a way to kick start things.

But then how do they effing know you are there? Telepathy? ffs.

S!

Knalp.

N17 002.jpg

#8 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:39

But then how do they effing know you are there? Telepathy? ffs.

They don't need to know, because if they are ready and in a position to play, they should be occupying a server to make that fact clear.

In my culture, when one admits to making a correctable mistake, one corrects it.

#9 knalp

knalp

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:04

They don't need to know, because if they are ready and in a position to play, they should be occupying a server to make that fact clear.

So you don't need "seeds" then . 

Everyone who wants to play will automatically join a server regardless of population, like little robots.

If you can SEE easily that there are people on then you are more likely to jump on yourself.

So making this EASIER is not a stupid idea. Seeds or no seeds.

Gosh you really make a grain of really really really dry sand look like it's got the raging damps....

S!

Knalp.

N17 002.jpg

#10 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:37

So you don't need "seeds" then . 

Everyone who wants to play will automatically join a server regardless of population, like little robots.

Well if none of them do, nobody will ever join.

If you can SEE easily that there are people on then you are more likely to jump on yourself.

The community should not be divided into seeders and joiners; all must acknowledge the obligation to act as both.  However if you just want to see if people are on, I think you'll find the master server already provides that, unless you're insufficiently committed to start the game to find out.

#11 knalp

knalp

Posted 02 December 2020 - 20:25

Listen to the lyrics it might explain EVERYTHING.

S!

Knalp.

N17 002.jpg

#12 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 03 December 2020 - 00:19

Listen to the lyrics it might explain EVERYTHING.

I can't relate anything to that.  Are you sure you're posting in the right thread, or for that matter the right website?

#13 knalp

knalp

Posted 03 December 2020 - 01:16

I can't relate anything to that.  Are you sure you're posting in the right thread, or for that matter the right website?

Do you have no soul ???  ( Well it's Disco .... save yourself ! Before it's tooooo late! Reverse the process !!! You are not a number you are a free man !!!..... * repeat endlessly * ...)

K! Snalp.

N17 002.jpg

#14 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 03 December 2020 - 10:11

I thought he was the new #2 ?

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#15 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann
  • LocationChateau Boistrancourt

Posted 03 December 2020 - 18:24

number_two_button_badge_number_2_the_pri

Who is number 1 ???

#16 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 09 December 2020 - 08:35

Ask not 'Who is on-line?'; ask 'Who may join me on-line?'

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users