- - - - -

Store Purchases With Steam Version?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CybaGirl

CybaGirl

Posted 01 November 2020 - 22:22

Hello everyone.

Can someone please tell me if you can use your store purchases with the Steam version of ROF and if so how can you install them?

Thanks.

#2 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 02 November 2020 - 05:36

Welcome to the Forums!

As a general matter, NO, you cannot mix Steam-bought content and RoF Store-bought content on the same account.  If you haven't bought anything for RoF from Steam and just are using the Free-2-Play version on Steam (if that's even possible), then there might be a way to do this, but in that case it would probably just be easier to scrap the Steam copy entirely and D/L and install the Free-2-Play version from the RoF website and use your store-bought content with that copy.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#3 CybaGirl

CybaGirl

Posted 02 November 2020 - 23:58

Welcome to the Forums!

As a general matter, NO, you cannot mix Steam-bought content and RoF Store-bought content on the same account.  If you haven't bought anything for RoF from Steam and just are using the Free-2-Play version on Steam (if that's even possible), then there might be a way to do this, but in that case it would probably just be easier to scrap the Steam copy entirely and D/L and install the Free-2-Play version from the RoF website and use your store-bought content with that copy.

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to get back to me and for clearing that up for me.

The main reason I asked this question is because. I have purchased all the store content and a license key for the game a few years back but for some reason after the update and recovery process it won't load under Windows 10 Pro x64.

I have this issue with an earlier version of the installation program and I have added my login and password to the startup.cfg file as suggested by people on the forum. But still I get this Error 4 and saying my user name and or password is wrong. Even though I know it is right as I can log in to the ROF website using the same information.

So thinking I will do the update which I did. Then ran the recovery option as suggested in another thread and now when I click on the yellow ROF icon nothing happens. The mouse pointer seems to animate for a few seconds and then stops.

I never see a loading screen or anything unlike when I had the previous version installed.

I have downloaded and installed both versions of 2005 and 2008 Microsoft Visual C++ but still nothing will load for me.

So I tried downloading and installing the Steam version but I even have the same issue with the Steam version.

So I don't suppose you have any ideas as to how I can resolve this as I don't know what else to do?

Thank you.

#4 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 03 November 2020 - 01:00

So, just to make sure we understand - you have D/L'ed and installed the most recent copy of the Free-2-Play version from the RoF website, updated it, installed both 2005 and 2008 Microsoft Visual C++ distributables, and you can't get the program to start/run on your machine?  And you never even get to the point where it asks you for your login info, even though you put your correct (old) login email/password info in your startup.cfg file?  Have you tried running the game directly from its .exe file (e.g., C:\games\Rise of Flight\bin_game\release\ROF.exe)?

Just to make sure, are you running (or have you ever been running) any version of reshade with RoF?  And, are you sure that your PC meets the minimum/recommended specs for RoF?

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#5 CybaGirl

CybaGirl

Posted 03 November 2020 - 22:20

So, just to make sure we understand - you have D/L'ed and installed the most recent copy of the Free-2-Play version from the RoF website, updated it, installed both 2005 and 2008 Microsoft Visual C++ distributables, and you can't get the program to start/run on your machine?  And you never even get to the point where it asks you for your login info, even though you put your correct (old) login email/password info in your startup.cfg file?  Have you tried running the game directly from its .exe file (e.g., C:\games\Rise of Flight\bin_game\release\ROF.exe)?

Just to make sure, are you running (or have you ever been running) any version of reshade with RoF?  And, are you sure that your PC meets the minimum/recommended specs for RoF?

Yes that is right. I have downloaded and installed the most recent version and I did the updates as well as installing both 2005 and 2008 MS Visucal C++ and after doing the updates the game does not load at all.

No it never loads once updated so it never asks me for my login info.

Yes tried running from ROF.exe and same issue.

Sorry. What is reshade?

My main computer I am on is an i7 with 32GB RAM and a Nvidia GeForce GT 1030.

I can also run DCS and IL-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles without any issues.

So I am very surprised that I cannot run or even load ROF.

Thank you again for your continued help and support.

Much appreciated.

#6 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 04 November 2020 - 19:15

Reshade is a program that some folks used to try to improve the graphical look of flight sims like RoF and IL-2GB (and probably other things, but those are the only 2 I ever used it for).  Back when I was messing around with it, I found out that sometimes the reshade config file(s) would get corrupted, and the effect was to cause RoF to fail to load/start, just as you're describing.  It could generally be cured by deleting all the reshade-related files.

From your description I'm baffled as well as to why you're having this problem - it certainly seems like it should be working.  Perhaps one last thing to try?  Maybe something went wrong during the update process - have you tried running the updater directly from its .exe file instead of from the game launcher?  (try running "Rise of Flight\bin_game\release\rof_updater.exe")

#7 CybaGirl

CybaGirl

Posted 05 November 2020 - 00:02

Reshade is a program that some folks used to try to improve the graphical look of flight sims like RoF and IL-2GB (and probably other things, but those are the only 2 I ever used it for).  Back when I was messing around with it, I found out that sometimes the reshade config file(s) would get corrupted, and the effect was to cause RoF to fail to load/start, just as you're describing.  It could generally be cured by deleting all the reshade-related files.

From your description I'm baffled as well as to why you're having this problem - it certainly seems like it should be working.  Perhaps one last thing to try?  Maybe something went wrong during the update process - have you tried running the updater directly from its .exe file instead of from the game launcher?  (try running "Rise of Flight\bin_game\release\rof_updater.exe")

Hello and thank you for your continued help and support.

Yes I have tried running the updater on it's own but still it will not load.

So yesterday I loaded up VMware Workstation Pro and installed Windows 7 Pro x64 as a virtual machine. I then installed ROF and did the update and after adding my info back into the startup config file. I was then presented with a new error about some side by side error. So I started the game directly from the ROF.exe and the game loaded for me without issue.

So finally some success.

Since then I dug out an old 500GB drive that I have and I installed Windows 7 Pro x64 to it so I can now dual boot into Windows 7 or Windows 10. Once I installed ROF to the Windows 7 installation did the updates and everything else I mentioned above I am now able to play the game finally which I am so very happy about.

When I get my time I will install Windows 10 under VMware Workstation Pro and see if I still have the same issue as that way I can test to see if there is an issue with my Windows 10 installation. But I dread having to reinstall it and all my programs as it generally takes a few days to re-install everything.

So for now I will just use Windows 7 to play ROF.

Also should all my content I purchased in the web store appear in my game or do I need to download and install it all?

Thank you so very much for you help as I very much appreciated it.

#8 J18=Fritz_Gerald

J18=Fritz_Gerald
  • LocationUnited States EST (Jasta 18 CO)

Posted 05 November 2020 - 02:44

Also should all my content I purchased in the web store appear in my game or do I need to download and install it all?

It would appear in the game, since purchasing it just unlocks what is already there.

FIF2020f_small.png

#9 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 05 November 2020 - 04:56

Glad you stuck with it and finally got it working - sorry it took such a Herculean effort.  

Just curious - did you try running RoF on Windows 10 in Windows 7 compatability mode?  You shouldn't need to do this, but then again you shouldn't have had to go through all the gyrations of your VMware efforts either, so maybe it would be worth a try.  If it works, that should save you the hassle of dual-booting, and if not, I guess you can just keep dual-booting until you find a better solution.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users