• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 knalp

knalp
  • LocationNew Zealand. ( ex. Scotland )

Posted 17 August 2020 - 04:37

Chaps!

In the garage cobbling together an " all in one" PC from  

and old laptop that I was given as a basket case.   

A 4 generation i5 i think.. had a dodgy fan ( well oxidised PC board ) which  

I replaced for $35 nzd. Worth it, oh and a cheap SSD.

Will post a picture when it's in one contiguous lump.

What else...

Fixed up my USB RC controlled that I had accidentally mixed up the controls on.   

Now it's back to being great and I can fly RCDP on my net book in bed at the weeeee

hours of the morning when I cannot sleep. Ace!

oooh I noted that PICASIM had an update. Wow. Must DL it and see if it's any different.

I think it comes with a new model: The Quark. Looks a bit like "Le FIsh" which was designed by  

a fellow RoF pilot, Surf Imp. Yey! We need more cross over stuff....

mmm... antique ww1 era flying models in RoF  ??? Heck even kites.... or zeppelins.... sigh...

um, what else, oh I am redoing my Cyrillic keyboard, it was not really that easy to read the  

characters. So I will repaint the keys nicer this time. : - )

Right I have to toddle off and make a mug of coco.

Oooh I got sunburnt on Sunday! Not even winter summer yet and the sun is already cooking!

May stay in all summer I think.... do some walking in the very early morning then scoot  

in the shade. Blimey it's going to be a scorcher!

Salute!

Knalpy.

Spam patrol: on duty and on guard. None shall pass!

I was there: The Great Spam War  of 2019/2020

2020_3_18__7_57_36.jpg

#2 raaaaid

raaaaid

Posted 17 August 2020 - 13:02

im all in for restoring old things sometimes i think some things are endowed with more spirit than some people

programmed obsolescence is cruel to things

all right doctor we got a deal i let you finger me and you extend my life

zen proverbs: the masochist boxer always wins,to be a real boy you need to be brave truthfull and unselfish

#3 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 18 August 2020 - 09:47

It's real alright, planned obsolescence that is.

Stainless Steele scissors - almost indestructable... except the screw holding the blades together isn't SS. So it rusts and they fall apart.

A Razor - again SS and should last for life... except the 'lugs' that the changeable heads clip into are made of.. plastic. They wear and can no longer hold the head.

This list could go on forever.

If we went back to not building throw away crap (most of which we don't need anyway), instead manufacturing quality items that last, backed up with cottage repair industries - half the Worlds' problems would go away right there.

But nobody suggests anything like that.

S! Raaaid and Planky - you mad old dogs :)))

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#4 knalp

knalp

Posted 20 August 2020 - 01:13

Zooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooopa!

or

Зоооооооооооооооооорppppppppоооооооооооона !!!!!!  ( my little Russian joke...)

and Рааааид !!!!!

which makes me Кналп ! рф рф !  oops I mean, ha ha!

I am a fan of making things work when I want to do something with them.
This has been a mother of invention type situation in some cases.  
Well, it's a need. I need this machine to work and it's knackered but I can  
fettle the bit I need out of some scrap and we can keep going....
However shitty bits of plastic that break off and spoil your day.
Well they can go to heck and back twice!

My new second Hungarian communist air rifle is doing well by the way.
It's a classic design, bold, a bit small, actually works etc. The fact that is has  
actual machined parts and not just stamped sheet steel is a wonder.
Well the factory is a real gun factory.... probably made millions of AK-47's....

erm, yes, uh... oh yes plastic crud. Yes, the rifle has ZERO plastic crud.

Except a tiny bit used as a linear bearing.... of which plastic is really good.

mmm. hmm...

The bellows seal is leather, and I can fab one up in minutes. ( takes a bit longer to grow the beast though...)
No the rifle is not vegetarian, sorry.

Looking to buy a MIG welder soon to make my tiny tiny tiny home.
Gasless jobbie with inverter power supply. The really good thing about this
is you can lug it about like a satchel, all you need is the AC cable and you are away.
So I am looking at several options on the market. Cheap but good would be ace.
Will be on wheels and also sport a verandah.... small but I can install a rocking chair  
and sit rocking in it while cradling my .30 air rifle and a thermos of tea....
and in the immortal words of Svetlana my Russian lady friend "aim for the eye".
( no seriously, I would aim for the fuel tank ...and if they are smart they will break off...)

mmm... flying. I hear there is a new sim out... not to mention CLOD has some new fangled update.
Something about libya... and Italians. In shorts. Actually I think one of the NZ rugby teams  
were in action there. Or something. They held some pass or something and refused to give up.  
The Germans were quite annoyed. Teamwork is dreamwork. Would make a cracking film.
"Kiwis fail to give up while outnumbered and running out of ammunition etc during the war. A film."
That is the exact title. and it's bloody good and not like that 1917 cobblers. or fricking D-Day Dunkirk whatever.

Actually I have a really really good ripping yarn in a book somewhere that would be awesome...
Sigh. To get it past the screen writers would involve a massed offensive. ( execute the lot I say )

Right!

Coco time. darn I have run out of sugar again, better go ask the lady next door for a cup of sugar, again...

S!

Knapl.

2020_3_18__7_57_36.jpg

#5 knalp

knalp

Posted 01 September 2020 - 21:54

So I started off reading the Karl Marx wikipedia entry and just started following links.
Wow. "Boss" tweedy.... holy heck. The things you can learn!

What does it all mean though? I am sure Raaaaid might be able to give us some  
interesting insights into the human condition....

Imagine the value of your work going up and down like an elevator as some clowns fiddle the price of gold !!!!
Wow.

Was WW1 orchestrated for reasons other than purely regional issues ??? There must have been a lot of money
riding on it. mmm.... I am sure ZF could chime in here too! ( no they did not have drones yet... but they did have "spies"...)

Food for thought!

S!

Knalp. ( Still on my death bed with the "cold".... heck,...)

2020_3_18__7_57_36.jpg

#6 knalp

knalp

Posted 02 September 2020 - 21:17

Hello! ( reporting from my sick bed ...)

No WW1 content here. Sorry.

Air rifle mod.

So I have taken a shine to the old Telly Relum air rifle, again. ( have two now...) 

It is just the right noise and power for target shooting in the garage and

it's quick easy to load. But the stock and grip is really cramped for an adult.

To address this I sawed off the old stock and glued on a new pistol grip type.

and heck it's very nice. ( looks ratty I know but it's cheap and cheerful proof of concept etc etc )

Essentially the stock can be short, if you are gripping a vertical pistol grip.  

This really came through after trying it out.

Once I get all the basics sorted out I will tidy it up and make it look nice.

For now it's working and feels comfy to shoot.

Attached File  P1120618 - Gunstock project.jpg   295.25KB   0 downloads

There is very long screw through the stock into the pistol grip and the whole thing is epoxy glued on.

As you can see it has a battle scare from the skill saw which I used to machine the stock off.

( It's not OSH approved DIY hecking good times ) .

The sight will be the aperture sights. Set up with rear sight probably on the stock and the fore sight on the barrel.

Not the best solution but for shooting bottle tops it will be "sweet as" as we say in New Zealand.

( actually it will be "awesome" too as the diopter aperture sights are amazing...)

hmm... let me show you a picture of skil saw mayhem... ( yes and actual MADE IN USA skil saw . it's great. )

Attached File  P1120606 - skil saw jig.jpg   224KB   0 downloads

The one thing I did not take into account is the flexion off the wood after removing material.

I should have backed with something. So yes, we live and learn. ( some more that others...)

And yes, I still have all my fingers, eyes and toes. : - )

Once I get the thing sorted out I am sure it will look nice enough.

Slap some varnish on it I think, or linseed oil....

S!

Knalp.

2020_3_18__7_57_36.jpg

#7 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 02 September 2020 - 22:41

If you have Covid you need to quarantine.  That means no posting on the forum.

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#8 knalp

knalp

Posted 03 September 2020 - 01:51

Rats! ( Cough, hack, sneeze )  busted by the forums covid special medical service brigade goonsquad.

You should be wearing a mask by the way you know.... not telling you how to do your job but... you know...bugs.

How is the haranguing over at il-2 Gweat Baddles going?    

Still arguing about .50's , invulnerable tails and wrong elevator response at high speed in the 'stang, amongst other things?

Have you ever considered how the P.I.A.T is the most misunderstood AT thingy ever?  It has some good points going for it.

I wonder how fast it really is to reload... thankfully I guess I was born far to late to find that out....

Best regards.

S!

KNALP.

2020_3_18__7_57_36.jpg

#9 catchov

catchov
  • LocationQld, Australia

Posted 04 September 2020 - 10:30

How is the haranguing over at il-2 Gweat Baddles going?    

Still arguing about .50's , invulnerable tails and wrong elevator response at high speed in the 'stang, amongst other things?

Lol yep. It never ends.

#10 knalp

knalp

Posted 04 September 2020 - 12:48

More air rifle cobblers:

Attached File  P1120618 - Gunstock project 002 .jpg   655.32KB   0 downloads

Glued on block of wood and dioptre sight ( from Latin dioptra, from Greek, from di- 'through' + optos 'visible'. )  .

Shooting at 6m is easy ( 5mm bull ) . Once I stop shaking it will print some nice tidy groups.

Took it out to 22m and it put down a 3 shot group in 20mm ( Two shots in one hole...)

So if this the wild and crazy urban hillbilly version.... what does the techy sport version do ?

Polishing the trigger group and adjusting the sear engagement has really made the   

trigger quite usable. ( it's a bit "wooden" with no real feedback but it's not too heavy..)

Is nice to shoot? Well, yes. Comfy, great sight and it's light !

Charging is a bit of a chore, it's not easy. Swapping sides is a good idea and not "yanking" 

on the lever but to apply a steady pressure. A repetitive strain injury is not ideal.

Will it kill a baked bean tin? With the H&N Field target pellets it gives it a good thump.

A pointy pellet would go through.  So I guess it's a badly dented tin...

Noisy? Nope. The piston thump is as loud the the pellet thwack on the paper target.

Will I be shooting down Dva's with it? Only very small paper ones....

S!

Knalp.

PS. I polished the bore and swab it out with oily rag. I seat the pellet with a tool about   

erm, 50mm into the rifling. This increases FPS by a good margin. Keeping the bore  

clean, bright and slippery is key. 

2020_3_18__7_57_36.jpg

#11 arthursmedley

arthursmedley

Posted 04 September 2020 - 19:52

Have you ever considered how the P.I.A.T is the most misunderstood AT thingy ever?  It has some good points going for it.

I wonder how fast it really is to reload... thankfully I guess I was born far to late to find that out....

I've obviously never used one but I have handled one.  It's heavy, awkward to carry and apparently inaccurate over forty metres.  In theory it's self-cocking by recoil. 

However, if you do have to cock your weapon it involves a certain amount of gymnastics that you can't really perform if you're grovelling in a funk hole whilst the nearby crew mit Panzer IV are wondering what just hit them. 

There's a reason we handed out six VC's to PIAT users in WW2.  They bloody earned them.  

#12 knalp

knalp

Posted 05 September 2020 - 01:40

I've obviously never used one but I have handled one.  It's heavy, awkward to carry and apparently inaccurate over forty metres.  In theory it's self-cocking by recoil. 

However, if you do have to cock your weapon it involves a certain amount of gymnastics that you can't really perform if you're grovelling in a funk hole whilst the nearby crew mit Panzer IV are wondering what just hit them. 

There's a reason we handed out six VC's to PIAT users in WW2.  They bloody earned them.  

Watching some videos on the operation of the PIAT on youtube does show an interesting feature.

Loading is fast. The turn around is not very long, a couple of seconds. ( all going according to plan )

But this is then tempered by how you have to load it:

Either you lean out yourself and reload the tube from the top front/a loader does this

OR you have to draw the weapon back into cover and then reload and move back to position.

I guess if you are shooting ( projecting... ) from good cover you can keep up a pretty high rate of fire.  ( ? )

and that has to be a good thing.

It's a thing.

Cough. Back to bed for me.

S!

Knalp.

2020_3_18__7_57_36.jpg

#13 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem
  • LocationR E S I G N E D veryuseful.info/rof

Posted 06 September 2020 - 03:29

I agree; if he catches something else from here it could spell his end.

#14 knalp

knalp

Posted 06 September 2020 - 03:42

I agree; if he catches something else from here it could spell his end.

I need to see the quack to find out what I caught and potentially what else I might catch.

( I did indeed catch a lighter wallet...)

What else can I spell with H I S E N D  ?  ( need one of those an ana na agram ananagram ffs things lists.)

I gave you an upvote just because, I think I gave BSR one before. I would give you more but that would mean

having to make yet another spam account specifically for that purpose which is in direct contravention with   

a certain rule against such behavior. So I shan't. I learned by doing.... not always the best practice....

I'm on my third cup of instant coffee and it's almost 16 hrs and I have yet to have breakfast or lunch.

( my wrist watch is in 24 hours by the way, I was convinced it is the way of the futre...)

Slightly delirious. ( thank goodness for spell check )

erm, I think I might have to get another nap in before it's time to go to sleep.

S!

Knalp.

2020_3_18__7_57_36.jpg

#15 arthursmedley

arthursmedley

Posted 07 September 2020 - 14:51

I guess if you are shooting ( projecting... ) from good cover you can keep up a pretty high rate of fire.  ( ? )

and that has to be a good thing.

Hmmm.....a high rate of fire isn't really a requirement for an infantry anti-tank weapon and any weapon with a high rate of fire is generally difficult to conceal once you open fire.......

#16 catchov

catchov
  • LocationQld, Australia

Posted 07 September 2020 - 23:51

Yes yes it looks good blah blah blah but when are they getting serious and doing WW1 crates, 1914-18 scenery, moving lines, DM and a Parasol?

#17 knalp

knalp

Posted 08 September 2020 - 01:03

Hmmm.....a high rate of fire isn't really a requirement for an infantry anti-tank weapon and any weapon with a high rate of fire is generally difficult to conceal once you open fire.......

???  I am pretty sure every AT operator who has just fired a round has been working on the next move

for eternity: Run or fire next round.

Part of the "working on" depends on quite a few variables: one being how fast can I reload ?

I am not sure exactly how long it takes to reload a PIAT that is functioning 100% , not very long I think.

and this is the secret sauce. 

A cute stand off between rifleman. One armed with bolt action and the other gas action. Who would you place bets on?

Reliability vs fire power?

No idea why I am going on about this.... probably being trapped in bed.,.. or a predilection for bun fights over ugly ducklings...

In house to house, built up area type fighting the lack of back blast by the PIAT must have made it a nightmare for

the Germans. You could poke it out a window, crevice etc and let fly. Where did that come from ???

and imagine if they had developed it.... a close quarters/ambush AT weapon that was hard to defend against.

Keeping things that are useful in your inventory is not a stupid idea. ( The "stinger" .30 belt fed DIY mg is a great example....)

But hey, no one thought much of grenades and burp guns  in the Korean war until they got pinned down by them...

I digress.... ( will he ever be quiet? No! )

I am slightly annoyed at MSFS 2020 it does not have provision for arming the light planes ..... ( Not that I     have bought it ... heck with a new video card on the way and belt tightengeing in effect... that title is going to mature while I check    back in it every now and then.... and YES get some DOPED CANVAS flying! DH2 and EIII please. )    

Oh my hecking dog.... I feel faint.

S!

Knalp.

2020_3_18__7_57_36.jpg

#18 catchov

catchov
  • LocationQld, Australia

Posted 08 September 2020 - 08:03

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a pair of Bristols. The Scout and M.1. I wonder if M$ would allow that? Nah it's like wishing for FC2. Not in my lifetime.

#19 knalp

knalp

Posted 08 September 2020 - 09:33

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a pair of Bristols. The Scout and M.1. I wonder if M$ would allow that? Nah it's like wishing for FC2. Not in my lifetime.

I am pretty sure this is where Sir Unreasobnable would step in to handle this...but as he is over on the il-2 forum  

raising heck about the finer points of ...erm.... something.... I will have to just um, paste in this link...

https://en.wiktionar...g/wiki/bristols

hmm... I see the potential for a visual joke...

FC2 ?  Avro 504 thank you sire! With rifle armed gunner in the back. The good old days!

S!

Plnka.

2020_3_18__7_57_36.jpg

#20 catchov

catchov
  • LocationQld, Australia

Posted 08 September 2020 - 09:39

Good God man! Now you're getting me aroused. All this talk of Avro's ....

S!

chatvoc

#21 arthursmedley

arthursmedley

Posted 08 September 2020 - 18:17

Yes yes it looks good blah blah blah but when are they getting serious and doing WW1 crates, 1914-18 scenery, moving lines, DM and a Parasol?

You'll have to wait for the add-on industry to make 'The Shuttleworth Collection' as a d/l.  Since it would appear MS have sold around a million copies of this thing since launch that's not too much of a stretch of the imagination. Don't expect any 'kersplosions though, Microsoft won't be going into anything war-related these days. 

???  I am pretty sure every AT operator who has just fired a round has been working on the next move

for eternity: Run or fire next round.

An infantryman who has just fired a short-range anti-tank weapon will run to another pre-planned position if he values his life.  To remain, reload and fire again brings us into VC territory.   You are correct in that the PIAT was a much more useful weapon when used against men in buildings and was valued for it's ability to place an effective piece of artillery into the hands of an infantryman for the first time.

Is it the Heath-Robinson design of the PIAT that appeals Knalpy?  The principle but not the PIAT design was certainly developed further.  You can thank the Panzerfaust for that. 

#22 knalp

knalp

Posted 09 September 2020 - 00:58

Is it the Heath-Robinson design of the PIAT that appeals Knalpy?  The principle but not the PIAT design was certainly developed further.  You can thank the Panzerfaust for that. 

What appeals is the contrast of Heath Robinson appraisal of mechanism against it's less obvious utility. 

People write things off because they are ugly OR they are not American OR they never used one and all their friends

on social media during the events were bagging it because it didn't have addidas stripes or free merch. 

From what I read about it's use under intense pressure from the enemy is that they ran out of ammunition.

The amount of vehicles knocked out is hard to tally but it was a good hard punch on the nose for the Germans.

Imagine if they had actually taken serious AT squads with them? All armed with PIATS and loads of ammunition.

Things may have been quite different. But you cannot provision for every problem so things just have to play out.

The PIAT principle is sound, it makes perfect sense, it has the element of surprise ( in both history and operation ).

It's cheap, uses simple principles, easy to train operators etc AND it can knock out larger than life vehicles.

Where the Six pounder fails the PIAT excels. Totally mobile, fast set up and take down, nimble. Need to shift ? Easy.

I am pretty sure if you went to the men who were stuck in a small town surrounded by German armour and you asked

them what they wanted right now, they would answer such like : " more PIAT's thank you and a box of razors ".

The thing may not look "cool", it may have operating parameters that need to be clearly understood, it may require a high

level of daring. But it's effectiveness when used to it's strengths it pretty darn high.

How many German vehicle commanders looked down safely at a wreaked six pounder only to get hammered by a PIAT? 

( If they don't know , or they can't imagine or they are just foolish.. well, the chap grimly loading the follow shot beat them...)

It maybe Heath Robinson but the effective shaped charge is no joke if you land it right. and it actually goes off....

More projectors and more ammunition! The Germans keep coming back for more!

S!

Pakln,

Good God man! Now you're getting me aroused. All this talk of Avro's ....

S!

chatvoc

Steady on old chap we are not in the Officers mess now...

Gosh I am stuck in "wings" the BEEB ww1 RFC series. It's really quite good.

S!

Kplan.

2020_3_18__7_57_36.jpg

#23 arthursmedley

arthursmedley

Posted 10 September 2020 - 10:17

The amount of vehicles knocked out is hard to tally but it was a good hard punch on the nose for the Germans.

Imagine if they had actually taken serious AT squads with them? All armed with PIATS and loads of ammunition.

Things may have been quite different. But you cannot provision for every problem so things just have to play out.

The PIAT principle is sound, it makes perfect sense, it has the element of surprise ( in both history and operation ).

It's cheap, uses simple principles, easy to train operators etc AND it can knock out larger than life vehicles.

Where the Six pounder fails the PIAT excels. Totally mobile, fast set up and take down, nimble. Need to shift ? Easy.

I am pretty sure if you went to the men who were stuck in a small town surrounded by German armour and you asked

them what they wanted right now, they would answer such like : " more PIAT's thank you and a box of razors ".

The thing may not look "cool", it may have operating parameters that need to be clearly understood, it may require a high

level of daring. But it's effectiveness when used to it's strengths it pretty darn high.

I can't really think of any major engagements where our brave lads faced a German tank advance after Alamein where the use of large numbers of short-range anti-tank projectors of the PIAT variety would have helped.  Whilst it certainly is an ambush weapon, if you think about it an ambush depends on the 'customer coming to the shop' as M von R would have put it.

After Alamein the Germans ceased advancing....anywhere...and went into reverse.  The German army was always primarily horsedrawn within Europe itself and simply didn't have a large number of vehicles available to be knocked-out by PIATs. Sadly - or perhaps luckily for their operators - the PIAT was a dead-end as far as weapon development goes as it lacked the ability to have it's effective range increased.  I think asking men surrounded by tanks what they really require would illicit the answer; artillery and air support rather than PIATs and razor-blades!

A long time ago, thirty-six years infact, my last job for Her Majesty was section leader in our anti-tank troop.  If you want something thats accurate, light, truly portable and easy to use, that does produce a truly gratifying 'kersplosion and won't give you a hernia then you want to have a play with LAWS rockets.  However, these days the only things available to infantrymen that are truly effective against modern armour are wire-guided.

#24 knalp

knalp

Posted 10 September 2020 - 21:42

A long time ago, thirty-six years infact, my last job for Her Majesty was section leader in our anti-tank troop.  If you want something thats accurate, light, truly portable and easy to use, that does produce a truly gratifying 'kersplosion and won't give you a hernia then you want to have a play with LAWS rockets.  However, these days the only things available to infantrymen that are truly effective against modern armour are wire-guided.

Ah ha! I thought you may be speaking from a professional aspect. S!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M72_LAW

"The increased importance of tanks and other armored vehicles in World War II caused a need for portable infantry weapons to deal with them. The first to be used (with limited success) were Molotov cocktails, flamethrowers, satchel charges, jury-rigged landmines, and specially designed magnetic hollow charges. All of these had to be used within a few meters of the target, which was difficult and dangerous."

What a load of old cobblers!: No mention of PIAT. Amateurs.

PIAT had a wider shaped charge. With development it could have been optimised. Is this better?

There are horses for courses,or course. Use them well and you will come out on top.   
Be prepared to run the wrong horse. Maybe your horse has unintended consequences that are positive?    
Can you use the fact that their horse is good and yours is "different", to your advantage?
Maybe their horse can't stand carry a load?

I guess if you have loads of PIAT then you obviously would use them.
What is vexing is knowing that you could use them but they are not available anymore.

How many soldiers who knew their craft well would instantly swap out some new crap for old gold?

Are hob nailed sandals better than bare feet? ( quick opinion poll near Bath...)

For sneaky blighters who are fearless and don't want a huge cloud of crap kick up behind them,  
a PIAT type device is the thing to have.  Doorways, windows, holes, under vehicles, up trees etc.

With a bit more Heath Robinson style thinking one could come up with PIAT2 which would could
attend to some of the original issues. Imagine it was lighter, less troublesome, fast reload etc.
Of course this will never happen, but, some ideas are good and one needs to keep stock of these.
History is the best teacher.

The annoying thing is having the inventory controlled not by "experience" but by those
who want to force you to buy xyz. 

PIAT: No dust cloud and no big flash, reasonable bang. No wooosh. Fnaagly.
         Can fire various rounds. Requires balls of steel. Sneaky.

Right, I am off. Cup of coffee number two is in the tube.

S!

Klpna.

2020_3_18__7_57_36.jpg

#25 knalp

knalp

Posted 14 September 2020 - 22:45

Golf cart buggy that my pal bought to teach his kids to drive AND to have fun...

Well the kids broke it!

The drive band broke ( Infinity variable cone drive thingy )

and while replacing the band I found ..

a broken differential mount. Wow, really broken.

Attached File  P1120635.JPG   455.63KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P1120639.JPG   416.85KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P1120640.JPG   310.06KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P1120652.JPG   264.63KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P1120666.JPG   170.96KB   0 downloads

This crack what I found after flipping the engine over... oh dear.

Attached File  P1120668.JPG   201.35KB   0 downloads

Welding is not pretty, sorry, but it's solid. Stick welding, so it has tons of penetration.

( Mig welders can give a false sense of ability...)

I know it's not WW1 themed! Just imagine it's a broken kite that has come in to

get something fixed up. : - )

Hope to get it all back assembled and running later today! If the rain stops...

S!

Knalp.

2020_3_18__7_57_36.jpg

#26 knalp

knalp

Posted 16 September 2020 - 01:27

More boring not WW1 flying stuff hot off the press:

Shoe horned the engine and swing arm back into the chassis.

Slapped the diff and other half of the infinity variable cone and belt drive back in.

( Note the bits welded back on... owner was not concerned about paint...)

and it's back in action. The kids will be pleased!

Attached File  P1120672.JPG   294.89KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P1120684.jpg   222.43KB   0 downloads

and here is a pic of some clouds and green stuff. We get really really amazing clouds 

down here in NZ. Sometimes they are astounding. Huge fluffy clumps scudding along...

Attached File  Clouds and grass.jpg   983.63KB   0 downloads

You can see the low cloud base and wind blasting the clumpers...

S!

Knalp.

2020_3_18__7_57_36.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users