Photo
- - - - -

Noob question - how do I play against AI on MP servers?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 R3KTOR

R3KTOR

Posted 03 August 2020 - 20:26

I'd like to fly with my son as gunner for my bombers, on missions with actual bombing objectives and AI opponents. I know that I need to create a MP/co-op server to have him multiseat, but how can I play normal missions with AI enemies and friendlies on a MP server?

Is there a place I can download nice missions to mutiseat on? If so, how do I access them in-game?

Sorry for all the questions. Any help would be great. 

#2 MamaShrekDing

MamaShrekDing
  • LocationIts kinda cold in winter and hot in summer...

Posted 04 August 2020 - 19:52

Hey R3k, There are not really any servers that have bombing objectives with AI, and the only servers with real bombing objectives are nearly always empty(such as the war grounds server)-and in regards to playing normal mp missions with ai, there are usually more player's than ai. (and you don't need to download them) And also, you dont need to create a server to fly as a gunner, just have *your son* spawn in any server as any bomber, than all you should have to do is hit the *occupy plane crew positions* button and select his plane...  If you want Ai and bomber objectives, simply create your own server and put in what you would like.

Hopefully I answered well, Please tell me if I didn't.

Thx-MamaShrek :icon_e_salute:

#3 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 05 August 2020 - 14:14

IIRC, there was a way to get PWCG to generate coop missions like this that you could then use in a d-server you would run on your PC that your son could then join from his PC.  I did something like that several years ago when I was doing some testing for MP coop missions, but I didn't really have the outgoing bandwidth at the time to make hosting such a server practical so I shut things down, and it's been so long since then that I don;t remember any of the details about how it worked.

Hopefully some of the server admins and/or MP mission-making folks around here will pop in and give you some pointers, if you want to try setting something up "privately" that you'd have more control over than just trying to both join the same existing MP server.

Good luck!

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#4 R3KTOR

R3KTOR

Posted 08 August 2020 - 12:15

Hey R3k, There are not really any servers that have bombing objectives with AI, and the only servers with real bombing objectives are nearly always empty(such as the war grounds server)-and in regards to playing normal mp missions with ai, there are usually more player's than ai. (and you don't need to download them) And also, you dont need to create a server to fly as a gunner, just have *your son* spawn in any server as any bomber, than all you should have to do is hit the *occupy plane crew positions* button and select his plane...  If you want Ai and bomber objectives, simply create your own server and put in what you would like.

Hopefully I answered well, Please tell me if I didn't.

Thx-MamaShrek :icon_e_salute:

Thanks for the answers... still wondering how I "put in" AI into a server I create? I click 'create new server' but there's no option for adding AI...?

#5 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 08 August 2020 - 17:54

Thanks for the answers... still wondering how I "put in" AI into a server I create? I click 'create new server' but there's no option for adding AI...?

Somebody who really knows more about MP servers and missions will need to respond, but IIRC I don't think that you add them as part of the server creation process - I think you have to add them to the mission file(s) during the mission creation process, and then you just have your server run that mission.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#6 R3KTOR

R3KTOR

Posted 08 August 2020 - 22:25

Ah okay thx

#7 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 09 August 2020 - 20:56

Hi R3KTOR,

In no particular order, I'll bullet point some things to (help) answer your questions.

*  First, as you surmise, there is NO way to fly co-op in a Single Player environment.  You must, as you realize, fly in Multiplayer to do that.

* You can get into MP in a few ways.

--  You can start your own using your own game  (ie. the Create Server option)

--  You can create one using the standalone  DServer.exe  file in your game's installation area:   --> YourDrive:\YourRoFArea\bin_game\release ...dserver.exe.  There's some setup knowledge needed for that, but I think there are still some guides around here, and in the BoS forums -- since it's 85% the same software, and 95% the same procedures to help you with that.

-- You can log in and fly in any of the current MP servers that are hosted by us (at New Wings), or a few other server operators out there.

In any of those MP environments, you'd be able to fly co-op with friends either as separate pilots (ie. you both fly separate aircraft), or as pilot & crew in a bomber or 2-seater   ...  IF:

The Mission(s) being hosted IN the MP environment you've chosen have enough planes for you all (usually easy), and / or bombers or 2-seaters you can also pick  (will depend on the mission itself).

Regarding AI, that too *must* be built into whatever mission the MP Server is running.  In many cases, since MP servers are / were intended for PvP (Player vs Player), many of those missions have minimal, or no AI, and they're there, mostly for a little "flavor".  For instance, most of our New Wings - Wargrounds missions do have some AI aircraft you can find and kill, but it's pretty minimal.

BTW, if you don't know this already, you can "copy / borrow / steal"  :P  any mission that is hosted on any MP server you enter.  Those missions get downloaded to your computer as part of joining the server, and you can grab those files from your PC, load them into the Mission Editor, and tweak, adjust, and save them any way you see fit -- so that's one way to *get* some missions for a server of your own.

As Panthercules also noted, you can also use PWCG to create missions, save them, and then with a few editting tweaks, make them suitable for Co-op play by hosting them on your own server.  Alas, like Panthercules, it is so long since I've done that, I also forget exactly what, or how, they need to be changed in the Editor to work that way, but it definitely can be done.

So, to sum up, you *must* have a MP server, and it *must* host a mission that has the various planes, objectives and AI that you'd like to deal with to achieve what you're looking for -- it's doable, and has been done in the past, but you're probably going to have to dive into it yourself to do it as most folks have moved on, and the ones who remain are largely SP folks (PWCG or RoF Career), or just flying on the existing MP servers.

Which reminds me... In our New Wings - Basic Training server, you can definitely fly the various co-op planes in there (it's a Non-PvP environment) against various AI and targets, but it's not really mission or objective oriented like a Wargrounds, or PWCG mission would be...   Still, it's a great place to fly with your son, and help him learn how to be a good gunner and crewdog!    :)

Hope that helps!

Regards,

:icon_e_salute:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users