- - - - -

VR Headsets

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 martinlb

martinlb
  • LocationSan Jose

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:56

I've been stumbling around the web (sorry if I've tripped over your thread and messed it up) after deciding there looks to be lots of potential using a VR headset with Rise of Flight.

I'd love to be educated by anyone who's got some experience with this. In my imagination the headset would take over what a monitor does, only giving a very real sensation of immersion. Does a person plug in a headset and somehow direct video output to it? Does a VR headset allow turning your head to cause your in-game view to follow?

It's got to be obvious I need a lot of education. Some questions are:

How do you set a VR headset up for Rise of Flight?
What headsets work best?
Is there anything else I need to know about this?

Thanks for any help!

#2 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 02 July 2020 - 22:29

I remember some posts from a couple of years ago when IL-2GB was adding VR support to its BoX titles where people were trying to figure out how to make VR work with RoF - seems they were trying to find some sort of third party software that would somehow make it work but I don't remember anybody ever figuring out any way to actually do it.  If they had, I'm assuming that there would be all sorts of posts/threads around here talking about VR and lots fewer folks interested in moving to Flying Circus (which does have VR support, BTW).  

But maybe somebody does know something different. I would love it if someone could make it work, because RoF still has so much more content available at this point than FC has (or will likely have any time soon if ever), and because I just can't bring myself to fly on a monitor any more since I saw how cool IL-2GB was in VR.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#3 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 03 July 2020 - 11:26

I believe it can and has been done, but RoF doesn't officially support VR.

If you want to fly ww1 in VR, 'Flying Circus' is the sim for that job.

It's newer, in current development, and it's half price just now !

S!

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#4 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 03 July 2020 - 22:20

Then hurry up, because FC1 is now on sale https://il2sturmovik.../flying-circus/
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#5 martinlb

martinlb
  • LocationSan Jose

Posted 04 July 2020 - 07:56

I'm new enough to Rise of Flight that I'm very, very confused. Aren't ROF and Flying Circus made by the same people? They don't work together I'm now guessing.

If I buy Flying Circus will extra planes I bought for ROF be available there?

What about the Collector Planes? And why are some of them so much more expensive than ROF planes and some of the other Collector Planes?

Thanks for help understanding these things!

#6 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:26

They're completely seperate games.

RoF hasn't had a game update for 5 years +.

Unless the devs release the code for others to mess with, RoF will remain as is probably forever.

FC is the new ww1 sim, it's built into the 'Battle of Stalingrad' series of games.

Currently 10 planes (+ a few variants), and a smaller map.

The devs plan was to 'port' over the existing RoF planes into FC over time.

There's been a recent interview where they've said they're still enthusiastic about making FC2 - so hopefully we get an announcement about that soon..ish.

So the big difference is that FC is new and supported - RoF is old, unsupported, but has more stuff.

If you're a VR user, I'd be getting FC in the half price sale just now.

S!

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#7 martinlb

martinlb
  • LocationSan Jose

Posted 04 July 2020 - 22:39

Thanks Zooropa!

I guess I can sort of make up for the "lost" money I started investing in ROF planes by getting into the Circus while it's on sale.

It's really too bad the ROF planes don't work in FC. There are some really cool planes there.

#8 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 05 July 2020 - 11:49

I'm new enough to Rise of Flight that I'm very, very confused. Aren't ROF and Flying Circus made by the same people? They don't work together I'm now guessing.

If I buy Flying Circus will extra planes I bought for ROF be available there?

What about the Collector Planes? And why are some of them so much more expensive than ROF planes and some of the other Collector Planes?

Thanks for help understanding these things!

FC is part of IL2, which is still in development. When you buy it you are paying for continous development of the game (mostly WW2 planes, but also updates to game physics, damage model, pilot model etc that affect all planes).

RoF has not seen new content since 2015 (or was it 2016?). When you buy planes, you're really paying for upkeep of game servers used for MP and career. And remind the developers that WW1 is still a thing :).

FC also follows IL2 business model, planes coming in packs of 10 along with new map (or as collector planes) rather than separately. It allows to make more interesting, niche planes, rather than making some planes that sell well and others that do not.

As of Head Mounted Displays (calling these things VR is as true as calling machine learning AI),  RoF does not support them. People have been trying to make them work, with some mixed results. From what I've read, HMDs they give excellent depth perception, help short range gunnery and make your plane look beautiful, while hindering ability to spot planes at long distance and make using plane controls harder as you can't see your keyboard / throttle quadrant. They seem to be best adapted for icons on, simplified controls game like airquake MP or SP Career (where spotting and controls ain't important, but depth perception help avoid being rammed), and worst adapted for "full real" icons-off multiplayer. Of course, RoF is where Career is at its best and airquake MP is still alive, while FC is mostly about icons-off MP...

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#9 arthursmedley

arthursmedley

Posted 06 July 2020 - 00:09

From what I've read, HMDs they give excellent depth perception, help short range gunnery and make your plane look beautiful, while hindering ability to spot planes at long distance and make using plane controls harder as you can't see your keyboard / throttle quadrant. They seem to be best adapted for icons on, simplified controls game like airquake MP or SP Career (where spotting and controls ain't important, but depth perception help avoid being rammed), and worst adapted for "full real" icons-off multiplayer. Of course, RoF is where Career is at its best and airquake MP is still alive, while FC is mostly about icons-off MP...

I'm really not sure if it's worth expressing an opinion on VR if you haven't actually tried it.  

#10 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 06 July 2020 - 23:26

That's why I'm not expressing my opinion, only observations.

(My opinion is that "VR" players in FC are cold meat...).

Forum moderator.

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#11 arthursmedley

arthursmedley

Posted 06 July 2020 - 23:56

That's why I'm not expressing my opinion, only observations.

Lol.  You don't have VR.  Your 'observations' are meaningless.     

#12 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 07 July 2020 - 12:54

You are not in my head, either. So your opinion on my capacity to observe is meaningless, and out of line.

I fly against people using headsets. I see their complains on forums. I have as good outside view as anyone. They are easy kills. I really wish as many people outside my squadron as possible would use it.

Forum moderator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users