Photo
- - - - -

Basic Hardware

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 pocketshaver

pocketshaver

Posted 20 April 2020 - 02:26

running an older system, I should upgrade soon anyway. 

Just what current systems an a person get right now that are "bare bones" enough in a desktop that can run the flying circus and rise of flight?

I use an HDTV for a monitor so im set on that.

Is desk mounted throttle systems and floor pedals actually needed for these games?  Curious because games I have looked at over the years merely consider them to be optional eye candy. And flightgear flight simulator that people are actually using to practice flying commercial jets as well as our beloved rotary engines, doesn't have the need for them.

Joystick, the thrustmaster T16000 seems an over all popular stick here, is it truly good enough to fly all the planes in RoF and FC?

#2 Flying_Falcon

Flying_Falcon
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 April 2020 - 16:39

Minimum systems:

• Processor: Win XP: Intel® Core 2™ Duo 2.4 GHz or comparable AMD chip
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM
  • Graphics: 512 MB video memory / GeForce 8800GT / Radeon HD3500
  • DirectX: Version 9.0c
  • Storage: 8 GB available space
  • Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible
  • Additional Notes: Initial activation requires internet connection for User Account creation inside game interface. Internet connection required for use of some game modes. 256kbs Internet connection or faster required for internet play. An offline mode is also available for certain game modes. Software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, DirectX 9c, Microsoft .NET 3.5 Framework, Visual C++ Redistributable 2005. Controller: DirectX Compatible joystick or other controller recommended.

Having a throttle and floor peddles is not required, is only an extra add on, though if you're flying with a joystick I would recommend getting some sort of head tracking device/software

The Thrustmaster is absolutely good enough to use in rise of flight and flying circus, it is one of the better ones that is pretty cheap.

S! :icon_e_salute:

Spam patrol: on duty and on guard. None shall pass!

Veteran of the Great Spam War 2019-2020 

#3 pocketshaver

pocketshaver

Posted 20 April 2020 - 22:21

care to explain the head tracking stuff,  im kind of used to red baron and simply hitting a keyboard button to look in multiple directions.

#4 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 21 April 2020 - 01:41

care to explain the head tracking stuff,  im kind of used to red baron and simply hitting a keyboard button to look in multiple directions.

Head tracking is a must have IMO for any flight sim. Basically, you wear a device on your head (Can be attached to headphones or worn as a cap like I have), and you use software for the game to recognize when you move your head, the in-game head will move likewise. Being able to look around is essential for having situational awareness, and improves game play ten fold compared to use your mouse or a hat switch.

You can either buy the real expensive TrackIR, or make your own. Here's a little tutorial thing I made. It's a pretty rubbish post and not even finished, so If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'm happy to help!

https://riseofflight...acker-tutorial/

And with the joystick, the T16000m is perfect. it'll work great for pretty much all aircraft's.

I'm not sure about In RoF, but in Il2 great battles multi engine planes can have their engines controlled separately. Having a throttle quadrant could be useful, but I wouldn't say necessary. I don't have one. Buttons are enough for me.

And rudder pedals are great! But a bit less necessary. I just use pedals from my Logitech Wingman Formula Force GP steering wheel pedals. Just needed to report combined pedals or something, and it works perfect. However the twist in the T16000m also works.

S!

Always remember you are unique!

Just like everyone else.

#5 pocketshaver

pocketshaver

Posted 21 April 2020 - 20:01

does the stick have good yaw?

#6 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 21 April 2020 - 22:07

Compared to my old junky sticks, yes I would say so. However I've never properly used it for rudder, since I've had my make shift pedals. Learning how to properly use Yaw is critical tho! When I first started I had an old joystick with no yaw, and buttons instead... that doesn't work lol. I could never line myself up with nay target.

If you're ambitious enough you could make your own rudder bar using a hall effect sensor, and an Arduino or another spare joystick. Here's a link to a thread on the FC forums started by plank knalp!. There's alot of junk in there... so i understand if you cant be bothered reading it all haha. https://forum.il2stu...nd-other-stuff/

S!

Just like everyone else.

#7 pocketshaver

pocketshaver

Posted 22 April 2020 - 01:01

Im almost shocked that wasn't a thread about getting a world war 1 model plane to fly.

I haven't dealt with joysticks since I had a go at playing x-wing versus tie fighter in a computer store back when it came out. That dates me.

#8 pocketshaver

pocketshaver

Posted 22 April 2020 - 05:08

Is it better to just spend the money and get the thrustmaster t16000m FCS on its own and skip the throttle system,

or is it better to spend a tad more and get one that has the throttle controls included?

For what I see the throttle controls are really really simple here...

fuel mix, throttle up, throttle down.  Lawn Dart.

#9 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 22 April 2020 - 08:39

T16000m has a throttle on the joystick. Buttons on either the keyboard, or preferably the joystick are perfectly fine imo. I would say it is more important to have a head tracker then rudder pedals or throttle quadrant.

Planes are all different... but In RoF we have mixture and radiator. Some planes like the D7f also have altitude control, but that can be to the same keys as mixture control. Its simple open + close radiator, and increase + decrease mixture.  4 Keys.

And with getting the joystick... I think the T16000m is a very very good joystick, but I have little else to base it off. However, If you have the budget, and you know you will spend alot of time on flight sims, then by all means look at different sticks. But for normal game play, the T16000m is great!

S!

PS I updated the link which shows you the first page where rudder talk was going on.

Just like everyone else.

#10 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 22 April 2020 - 08:49

Here's my layout: T16000m-Ro-F-layout.jpgcount on me poem

FYI, i control rudder with rudder pedals, and engine on, icons and what not are all with the keyboard.

Just like everyone else.

#11 pocketshaver

pocketshaver

Posted 22 April 2020 - 16:33

Its why im asking, I KNOW the throttle system WOULD be more usable to have with the IL-2 games and some of the other flight sims, but as I want to get rise of flight figured out properly.

we have throttle up, throttle down

fuel mix lean, fuel mix rich

does the throttle lever actually change those things or are we still stuck doing that with keys in rof?

Im still trying to figure out the head movement to look around my plane.

#12 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 22 April 2020 - 22:35

Yes, mixture, radiator and throttle can all be mapped to slider keys (like the throttle on T16000m). However, I believe keys work perfectly fine, since on screen it tells you how much mixture/radiator you have going. If you want to go 100% with the HUD off, then maybe you'll need a throttle quadrant.

But like I say, I think a throttle quadrant is quite low on the list for things you need.

Perhaps someone else could chip in with a different stick that you might be after?

S!

Just like everyone else.

#13 pocketshaver

pocketshaver

Posted 23 April 2020 - 02:43

just a general question,

Has anyone here tried to shoot the AI gunners when they stand around and watch the enemy fighters shoot your plane to crap?

#14 Flying_Falcon

Flying_Falcon
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 April 2020 - 12:26

Do you mean shoot as the gunner? because you can switch postitions but it makes flying alot harder

S! :icon_e_salute:

Spam patrol: on duty and on guard. None shall pass!

Veteran of the Great Spam War 2019-2020 

#15 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 23 April 2020 - 17:18

Yeah - you can shoot them with your pistol - or you can try giving them orders to engage at different ranges - if you have them engaging at too-long range, they may be shooting up all their ammo by the time the enemy gets in close and starts chewing up your plane.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#16 pocketshaver

pocketshaver

Posted 23 April 2020 - 20:07

ordered the thrustmaster with hotas.  I have a feeling that either my keyboard isn't working or I just don't get the right key combo because I can ue the key board to look around the plane.

#17 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 25 April 2020 - 03:21

I suggest waiting for your joystick, then set everything up proper. Setting up your controls early is very important IMO. Otherwise you will learn bad habits and what not.

Whats the chances that you will get a new PC?

Just like everyone else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users