- - - - -

Vulching

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#1 Flying_Falcon

Flying_Falcon
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 February 2020 - 13:19

I know vulching is shooting people who are taking off. But when is it not considered vulching? If you drop a bomb on someone who is on the ground is that considered vulching? What about shooting rockets? What happens if someone purposely spawns as a bomber so that their gunners can shoot at you while you're above their base? Is alright to shoot at them?

Any help on clearing up my confusion on this would be appreciated.

Salute!

S! :icon_e_salute:

Spam patrol: on duty and on guard. None shall pass!

Veteran of the Great Spam War 2019-2020

#2 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann
  • LocationChateau Boistrancourt

Posted 11 February 2020 - 14:01

It's all vulching. If I remember correctly you ended one of my 20+ streaks doing it.

#3 Flying_Falcon

Flying_Falcon
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 February 2020 - 14:15

Sorry about that, one of my brothers was using my account and didn't now about vulching until after that instance.

#4 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann

Posted 11 February 2020 - 14:18

No worries. All is fair in NFF.

#5 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 11 February 2020 - 14:18

I'll give you an insight into my moral compass.

Shooting planes taking off - bad.

Circling enemy AF waiting for planes to spawn - bad.

Bombing AF's, including planes - ok.

Rockets at spawned planes - I go for bad, but that's a tricky one.

Enemy 2 seater / bomber parked shooting at spwaning planes - scum of the earth.

Spawning on own AF to use gunner - Annoying, but I'd say ok. You're defending your AF.

AF's can obviously be defended with AAA etc.

So if there's an issue with them not being defended well enough you could take that up with the server operators.

That helps keep the nasty voolchers away.

S!

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#6 Flying_Falcon

Flying_Falcon
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 February 2020 - 14:20

Is there a specific point where it changes from "taking off" to "flying"?

#7 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann

Posted 11 February 2020 - 15:17

After the first turn which I consider silly.

#8 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 11 February 2020 - 15:55

Is there a specific point where it changes from "taking off" to "flying"?

I think a little common sense - would you like to be zapped when your wheels are just 6 feet off the ground ?

For that one I'd say - wait until at least  they're up to speed.

There used to be 'capture the field' maps which were great fun with enough people.

When the specific objective is to capture an enemy AF, anything goes.

S!

#9 Flying_Falcon

Flying_Falcon
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 February 2020 - 16:14

Thank you for your help!

S!

#10 knalp

knalp
  • LocationWell it's kind of green and bushy...

Posted 11 February 2020 - 21:37

Ahem...hello.

Way back when I was not banned on New Wings I had a predilection for " hit and run" on AF's.   

( They were set far back behind the front so you had to do quite a bit of flying to get there.)

Fly in fast really low, avoid all AAA etc and then slashing attack on taking off planes and then running away.

In an N28.  brbrbrbrrrrrbrrrrbrrrbrrbrbrbrbrrrrrrrrbrbrbrbrbrbrrrr ARAARRRRRRRRRRRRRR....etc

Chances of RTB was slim to none. If I collected a couple of planes they would follow me back across the mud. Shooting the whole way. if I had TS and a squad they could have jumped the tailing planes.... but no. lone wolf etc.  

Was it cricket? no idea.

To be honest the N28 is fast ish but not that fast and it's no turner. If I was bounced by anything higher than me I  

was a goner.

Is it vulching? Maybe. It certainly was exciting. ( Removing twigs from the under carriage etc if I made it home for tea  )

Essentially I decided that planes were decidedly slanted towards the Germans. This is a contentious stance.

and in response I decided to take things into my own hands and hit the germs where it hurt with the least significant

plane in our arsenal. Our best turner took way to long to ferry over to the action and all our other planes were either

out gunned or just could not turn enough etc etc .  So I settled on ram raiding their officers club.... with the flying lawn mower.    

A thing I found quite amusing was flying under all the german planes flying towards the front. 

They just didn't bother looking down.

Now if we had a fast turner that could zip across the mud and keep it's wings on and had two guns... heck.

oooh that sounded like a whinge.

Air field raiding is fun. Defending is also fun.   

Many a night was spent on War Grounds defending the low and fast Gotha attacks.  No idea what mission it was.   

At times it was totally bonkers. Get shot down, get back up, attack get, shot down ad infinitum  etc. As the bombers  

got closer this process would speed up until you literally took off shooting....

Ram raiding ( N28 ): Chance of return low, chance of kills low, excitement high. and the fuss! what fun. : - )

Sorry for the waffle!

S!

Knalp.

I was there: The Great Spam War  of 2019/2020

#11 Flying_Falcon

Flying_Falcon
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 February 2020 - 21:49

The N.28 is very fun when you're flying low, because it sounds like a very loud and souped up lawnmower.

#12 Flying_Falcon

Flying_Falcon
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 February 2020 - 21:57

Are there servers where vulching is allowed?

#13 127Tom

127Tom

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:31

Press "B" or your mission briefing button. There you can read server rules. All servers I have played on don't allow vulching.
For a reason. It's annoying it takes no skill to shoot down a plane that has just taken off or are on the runway.
Why do you want to vulch?

#14 Flying_Falcon

Flying_Falcon
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:35

I never said I wanted to vulch, I just was wondering if it was allowed anywhere

#15 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 13 February 2020 - 15:06

I distinctly remember there was at least one such server. Wasn't it NFF?

#16 127Tom

127Tom

Posted 13 February 2020 - 15:15

I think this also one of the reason why Rise of Flight is a ghost town when it comes to multiplayer.
I remember this was a problem in the past (early days of RoF). 
Some servers tried to fix it with air starts, but air starts just ain't fun. 

I think there should be like a red zone (couple of km around the airfield) that you will get a penalty for shooting down taken off planes.

It could be made such that the plane who takes off, once it flies outside of the red zone he can fire and be fired upon. If he starts to fire before out of the red zone then
he can be shot at. 
Not sure if this can be implemented?

#17 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 13 February 2020 - 15:57

NFF never encouraged vulching.

I've played MP for a long time and it's never been a huge problem.

You get the odd one.. but that's life.

It's probably worse on NFF now, some maps have AF's very close together and little to no protection.

#18 127Tom

127Tom

Posted 13 February 2020 - 16:11

Yeah, I was about to spawn an aircraft the other day and saw 3 players circling over the airfield. 
I just left my computer, made some food... came back and now 2 had left the server and just 1 guy still circling.
I alt tabbed, did some work.... and came back now server was empty.
Not giving them the satisfaction ;) hehe

#19 knalp

knalp

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:00

Were vulched by Kilgore today.

I was wondering what was kicking up the ground then I realised I was being shot at while I was   

siting in my Camel getting ready to take off . Managed to take the fight to him and met head to head.

Outcome was to be expected. Not very good form at all. What can I say? Booo ?

S!

knalp.

#20 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:56

I wouldn't worry too much about these characters that fly the uber Dr1 exclusively and think they're the nuts.

Anyone can be a hero flying the Dr1 all the time.

#21 Kelp44

Kelp44
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 14 February 2020 - 16:28

Camping airfields or air start warping spots should be prevented with suitable AA.

3 placements usualy do, as long as those would be stacked with eg 10 on top of each other resulting in only one showing but with the fire power of a MG )))
Also very hard to neutralise as you’ll have to peal off one at a time while it is on a timer setting to reappear.
Same stacking was done to toughen balloons.

#22 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 14 February 2020 - 17:25

It should be noted, that regarding MP server performance, you can't just go chucking in loads of stuff or there's a good chance there'll be problems.

A map designer may be conservative with use of objects for this reason. Particularly too many / acre.

And regarding flying plane of choice, and indeed vulching etc, it should be remembered that killing the opposition is kind of the point of the game.

Anyone who's paid their money can play how they like. It is bloody war after all.

Some servers are policed more than others and will enforce rules.

The ones that don't - well you have to take what you get.

The real question is... are you gonna occupy the moral high ground, or are you gonna get angry and vulch the b*st*rd back ?

:icon_mad:

#23 Kelp44

Kelp44
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 14 February 2020 - 21:44

There you go, just come to my server where you can vulch to heart delight only expect to be vulched back LOL so better join the side with the numbers fellows;

Also when vulched you may not field 2 or 3 seaters for groundgunning cause that is unsportlike.

And because its fast-food opponents within a 2 minute reach.

Very warlike too, airfields without their proper defences for everybody welcome …

And certainly no dropback airfields further back cause that could rob the plaisure of the bullies.

Yep its esports nowadays! The faster the finger ...

#24 knalp

knalp

Posted 14 February 2020 - 22:03

Watched Kluggerman having a go at our AAA yesterday.

He got pasted good and proper. ( it did take a while. )

I tried not to smirk when his wings came of and he did lawn dart in the soil....

Mind you if he had actually aimed at me I would have been toast. So there is that...

Spawn a multi seater and shoot the boggers OR fly over and bomb them when they spawn in.

S!

Knalp.

#25 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 15 February 2020 - 00:41

I think this also one of the reason why Rise of Flight is a ghost town when it comes to multiplayer.
I remember this was a problem in the past (early days of RoF). 

RoF MP isn’t a ghost town because of vulching.  There are lots of reasons for it, but vulching isn’t one of them.

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#26 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:12

RoF MP isn’t a ghost town because of vulching.  There are lots of reasons for it, but vulching isn’t one of them.

Just out of interest, would you care to list them? 

My thanks...

Spammers are not my thing...except for the one with the massive k******s. I was impressed with that one.

#27 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:23

Just out of interest, would you care to list them? 

My thanks...

If I do that the post will probably be deleted, so no.  But vulching wasn't really a big problem.  Flak usually killed vulchers before they could do much damage.

Well, I guess that depends on the server.  On the mission based servers it usually was not a problem.  On the dogfight servers it was usually a feature that added to the fun.  The entire point of dogfight servers is to get into fights as quickly as possible, and going to the other side's airfield and vulching was the best way to do that.

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#28 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 15 February 2020 - 03:10

If I do that the post will probably be deleted, so no.  But vulching wasn't really a big problem.  Flak usually killed vulchers before they could do much damage.

Well, I guess that depends on the server.  On the mission based servers it usually was not a problem.  On the dogfight servers it was usually a feature that added to the fun.  The entire point of dogfight servers is to get into fights as quickly as possible, and going to the other side's airfield and vulching was the best way to do that.

My thanks for clearing that up for me somewhat.

S!

Spammers are not my thing...except for the one with the massive k******s. I was impressed with that one.

#29 127Tom

127Tom

Posted 15 February 2020 - 03:51

How do you know that? And what are the other reasons?

#30 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 15 February 2020 - 04:42

How do you know that? And what are the other reasons?

I was playing MP every night for several years.  That's how I know.

Free Plank!

#31 knalp

knalp

Posted 15 February 2020 - 05:33

Just a point to clear up.

So we have people who shoot planes that are either stationary on an AF or in the process of taking off.

Then we have people who are circling the AF looking for and easy target.

My primary beef is with the former, there is no fight. It's just bad form.   

If there is only one other person on the server and every time you try to take off they shoot you...  

Well, they need a darn good banning.

There is one caveat though which adds a certain flexibility:

When it's all gone to heck and no one cares. This is usually between people who are comfortable with  

all out war and generally is humorous. Have seen this a few times and by gosh it's a hoot.

At some stage things will settle down and the chaos will ebb.

imho. : - )

S!

Knalp.

#32 127Tom

127Tom

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:19

I was playing MP every night for several years.  That's how I know.

That's really not an answer to my question. If you want to sound believable you would have to come up with examples. 
I've seen several newcomers and veterans exiting and venting frustration to vulching too. And I have been playing this since 2009 and seen a steady decline.

#33 127Tom

127Tom

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:26

So we have people who shoot planes that are either stationary on an AF or in the process of taking off.

Then we have people who are circling the AF looking for and easy target.

My primary beef is with the former, there is no fight. It's just bad form.   

If there is only one other person on the server and every time you try to take off they shoot you...  

Well, they need a darn good banning.

There is one caveat though which adds a certain flexibility:

When it's all gone to heck and no one cares. This is usually between people who are comfortable with  

all out war and generally is humorous. Have seen this a few times and by gosh it's a hoot.

S!

Knalp.

I agree with you. 
If there are equal amount of players on each side it's doable to fight off the vulching aircraft, win and then retaliate when they take off.
After that the vulching usually stop.
The problem is that if the vulching team has twice or more players, then you are just getting spawn killed and it's really no point even spawning an aircraft.

Yesterday I was on a server where this dude just spawned in his two-seater and shot down friendlies for some reason. I was on the opposite team and tried to help by bombing him,
but of course as I dropped my bombs he exited the flight so his plane vanished before I manage to get a kill. And he of course just spawned another plane right after and continued.
Just being a dick and wanted to annoy people I guess?

Anway my point here is that I could barely reach him because the flak was so heavy on this airfield it shot me down 90 % of the times I tried to just come near the air field.
I think we need this kind of flak on air fields and keep the air fields more far apart to fix the vulching :)

#34 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:54

That's really not an answer to my question. If you want to sound believable you would have to come up with examples. 
I've seen several newcomers and veterans exiting and venting frustration to vulching too. And I have been playing this since 2009 and seen a steady decline.

Vulching has nothing to do with the decline of this game.

If anyone doesn't like maps with AF's too close together and undefended, there are servers / maps that provide an alternative.

#35 Kelp44

Kelp44
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 15 February 2020 - 13:45

Vulching has nothing to do with the decline of this game.

If anyone doesn't like maps with AF's too close together and undefended, there are servers / maps that provide an alternative.

Also your presence on those servers may pull the others in and just maybe they will come to like the change;

#36 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 15 February 2020 - 15:40

Examples of what?  Do you want examples of it not being a problem?  Because that’s moronic.

I’m not going to give you a history of the game, because I really don’t care that much.  But vulching was a very minor issue.

Free Plank!

#37 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann

Posted 15 February 2020 - 16:00

S!

Knalp.

Difficult to have chaos with 4 or 5 people on a server.

#38 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 15 February 2020 - 16:04

Knalp can cause an outbreak of Anarchy, Chaos, and Destruction all on his own.

#39 Nooney

Nooney
  • LocationOn your 6 Boooooom

Posted 15 February 2020 - 19:38

I don't think the game is in decline over vulching if at all in decline, the die hards from the past (lol whoever they are) still play ROF but not as often, you soon become bored with the same old same old, and the rammers, vulchers, kill stealers, but if you except they won't go away no matter how many times you out them, it's in their nature, you cant shame a TW@, they will always be a TW@, just move on, they will eventually but only to be replaced by more of the same.

There are so many unused servers in MP, and the guys who run them are to blame, Novice only, how many times have you seen anyone in there? other servers dead, mission planners make crap missions and then never play them, AA given 100% accuracy, if you have a server and no one has used it in a month, change your missions, I remember when it was a massive comp' who could get the most flyers in their servers, and the Trolls gave medals away to the best flyers, or winners of our monthly comp's, we had to stop the numbers due to over population of our server, but sadly we couldn't afford the server in the end as only a handful of us would put our hands in our pockets.

Also the game is not promoted as it was in early days, due to 777 buying IL2, and 777 abandoned ROF, pushing IL2 like crazy, still using ROF sales to fund IL2, but typical 777 putting shite all back into ROF, so bottom line is mission builders sort your servers out, and 777 put something back into ROF, instead of milking it on steam.

No matter how good you are there are a million other people better than you boy.....Homer Simpson.

#40 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 16 February 2020 - 00:07

Also the game is not promoted as it was in early days, due to 777 buying IL2, and 777 abandoned ROF, pushing IL2 like crazy, still using ROF sales to fund IL2, but typical 777 putting shite all back into ROF, so bottom line is mission builders sort your servers out, and 777 put something back into ROF, instead of milking it on steam.

This is gibberish.  777 is done developing RoF.   That happens frequently in software development.  Old products are dropped to free resources to work on new products.  FC is the replacement for RoF.  If not enough people buy FC, then it will be dropped.  They’re not putting anything back into RoF.   Ever.  That ship has sailed.

The mission builders have nothing to do with any of this.

Free Plank!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users