Photo
- - - - -

REVISED Skin Text File for PWCG

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Barkhorn1x

Barkhorn1x

Posted 11 January 2020 - 22:48

Went ahead and revised ALL the German skin text files (except sea plane) for PWCG version 16.2.whatever to be used w/ the following skin sets:

- The skin packs on Pat's site

- Skin files available here from Panthercleas, the Dude, some others and especially Gooseh * (you REALLY need these).

The point was to ensure:

- All of these skin sets had entries so they can be assigned to your squad mates

- All the formatting is correct

The pack also includes the all important Squadron file as I made a shit load of changes/fixes to that file:

- Used Gooseh default skins wherever available
    - Fixed a bunch of dates that were out of whack
    -  Made sure that all skin entries had a Start and End date
...all this work ensures that the default skins appear for the correct squads/correct timeframes.

Here is the link:

https://mega.nz/#!C7...jG8z9DT9-PA7Kv4

Just drop in this folder and overwrite the existing files:

Program Files (x86)\777\Rise of Flight\RoFCampaign\Data

* Please note that when Gooseh completes his skin work (he's done all of them w/ the exception of Jasta 2 - Jasta 16 - and I've included all entries down to Jasta 19) I will update the files once again.

#2 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 11 January 2020 - 23:47

Well, that's some undertaking! I look forward to giving it a spin next time I'm home...btw. have a look at Jasta 15. Records have it mobilising in Oct 16 but PWCG has it kicking off in March 17. Did you edit out all the 'planes we don't have' entries?

Spammers are not my thing...except for the one with the massive k******s. I was impressed with that one.

#3 Barkhorn1x

Barkhorn1x

Posted 12 January 2020 - 15:36

Well, that's some undertaking!

Yeah it was.

...btw. have a look at Jasta 15. Records have it mobilising in Oct 16 but PWCG has it kicking off in March 17. 

I think that has to do with the Jasta 15 to Jasta 18 swap.  I'll take a look at both of them to see what's up.

Did you edit out all the 'planes we don't have' entries?

Not sure what you mean here (so probably not ;)) but please give me more info.

#4 Barkhorn1x

Barkhorn1x

Posted 12 January 2020 - 18:02

Gooseh, on 11 Jan 2020 - 18:47, said:snapback.png

...btw. have a look at Jasta 15. Records have it mobilising in Oct 16 but PWCG has it kicking off in March 17. 

OK, so meant years and not days.  That is odd.  And it's not an easy fix as you would have to:

- Find a list of bases (which I have BTW)

- Make sure they are "mapped" in PWCG

- Cause if they ain't that will cause errors

...so not good.

#5 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 12 January 2020 - 19:36

Yep. I tried changing the date of them starting at La Selves (I think?,away from my PC) to 1/3/17 and earlier but PWCG wouldn't load any Jasta beyond 14 when I did that.

This kind of thing has quite an impact on skins I make and particularly aces.

I'll email ya.

Spammers are not my thing...except for the one with the massive k******s. I was impressed with that one.

#6 Barkhorn1x

Barkhorn1x

Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:41

Yep. I tried changing the date of them starting at La Selves (I think?,away from my PC) to 1/3/17 and earlier but PWCG wouldn't load any Jasta beyond 14 when I did that.

This kind of thing has quite an impact on skins I make and particularly aces.

I'll email ya.

TY. And I'll investigate further and tell you what I find.

#7 RoclorD

RoclorD

Posted 07 March 2020 - 21:13

I wonder is it possible to incorporate those new skins into PWCG 3.3.2. As a sidenote, I also wonder if Pat A. Wilson will release a new version one day...

"Don't read history - make it" - Knights of the Sky

#8 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 07 March 2020 - 21:25

Hi RoclorD. It would be possible to integrate these skins into 3.3.2. it's simply (?) a case of rewriting thousands of lines in the text files within PWCG!

Pat is done with PWCG for ROF as far as anyone can tell. How are you getting on with 3.3.2? Though it's the most recent version, it's buggier than the earlier ones.

16.3.1 seems to be version considered to be the most stable..

#9 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 07 March 2020 - 21:26

Pat is currently working on PWCG for Flying Circus...

#10 RoclorD

RoclorD

Posted 09 March 2020 - 20:05

Hi RoclorD. It would be possible to integrate these skins into 3.3.2. it's simply (?) a case of rewriting thousands of lines in the text files within PWCG!

Pat is done with PWCG for ROF as far as anyone can tell. How are you getting on with 3.3.2? Though it's the most recent version, it's buggier than the earlier ones.

16.3.1 seems to be version considered to be the most stable..

Hi Gooseh. Well I suppose I could try to rewrite it using some text editor with command "find and replace" if that's possible. That is if I'd been told what words need to be replaced for what other words. Unless it's easy to deduce by myself by comparison perhaps. I'll look into it one of these days but suggestions welcome!

Well if Pat won't return I say we have a problem unless it's open source, but even then it would still require someone with programming knowledge... I remember people mentioned bugs with 3.3.2 but I don't remember how serious they were now. I remember when I first tried it a year or more ago that I landed on Russian airfield when flying for Imperial Russia but the game (PWCG?) told me I landed on enemy territory and career was over. But in current career for US I already flew a couple of missions and don't remember any bugs that might be on PWCG side of things (some enemy fighters didn't react to my fire but that might be game/mod AI like I wrote elswere). 3.3.2 had some fixes concerning enemy flights IIRC when comparing to 16.3.1. I guess I need to fly a bit more and see how it goes.

EDIT: found a post when PatAWilson wrote of advantages of Unified editition (3.3.2) over old 16.3.1:

https://riseofflight...lable/?p=661292

Pat is currently working on PWCG for Flying Circus...

Well, even though I invested in RoF quite heavily I would consider switching to this Flying Circus (an addon to Il2-Sturmovik?) if there would be advantages. But are there? I don't think it has mods, like Avimimus' Gunner AI and Gunner Position (so gunners won't shoot in their tail and so on), like Flak mod and Reduced lethality (so wings are not shot off with one short burst). I don't think it has your and/or community skins. Does it have better AI or something? Is PWCG for it somehow better than for RoF? I say it's OK for RoF, just afraid of bugs.

#11 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 09 March 2020 - 21:38

Well, even though I invested in RoF quite heavily I would consider switching to this Flying Circus (an addon to Il2-Sturmovik?) if there would be advantages. But are there? I don't think it has mods, like Avimimus' Gunner AI and Gunner Position (so gunners won't shoot in their tail and so on), like Flak mod and Reduced lethality (so wings are not shot off with one short burst). I don't think it has your and/or community skins. Does it have better AI or something? Is PWCG for it somehow better than for RoF? I say it's OK for RoF, just afraid of bugs.

FC can be modded in much the same way as RoF could, though of course at this stage in its release it doesn't yet have as many mods as were created for RoF over its many-year life span.  Given the differences in FC DM, I don't believe that we are seeing the same kind of wing-folding issues with FC that we saw with RoF, so I'm not sure there's any (or at least as much) need for things like the reduced lethality mod with FC.  FC does/can have community skins, but they decided to opt for a different skin organizational construct with FC so the situation there can probably be best described as somewhat chaotic at this point, compared to RoF.  Given the improvements in IL-2 GB AI it is likely that the AI in FC is better and will keep getting better, but of course it's not perfect and I'm pretty sure that the FC forums are filled with the usual spirited debates about the quality of the AI there.  I haven't tried PWCG for FC yet (still having problems getting my VR setup to work and have had some RL complications, so I'm a bit behind the curve on diving into FC like I expected to be) so I can't compare the two.  The biggest change/advantage (to me at least) would be FC's support for VR - I just haven't been able to make myself fly on a monitor after seeing how cool VR is for IL-2 GB.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 65.jpg

#12 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 09 March 2020 - 21:59

Well I have FC. I've done nothing more than test some skins on it so I can't really judge.

I believe from reading a few of the threads over there that the AI is improved some, which can only be a good thing, but I have no idea how well PWCG is doing with it. It'd be worth having a read over on that forum I think. I think it's currently on sale at @£30.

Can certainly look at writing some text files for 3.3.2. if you pick a Jasta I've done we can give it a go and test it out. I think everyone else's skins are already in there? Might be wrong..

Would be nice to get one version or another straight!

#13 RoclorD

RoclorD

Posted 12 March 2020 - 15:40

Thanks for the input about FC guys!

Concerning 3.3.2 skin support: I belive only community skin packs are supported, but might be wrong. I only saw 3 skins available for 94 Aero Sqn SPAD 13 on the PWCG mission Pilot Selection screen for example...

So all those skinpack that you've made and other people for Entente that are listed on Panthercules' thread are probably unavailable. Cannot find Panthercules thread now though where the separate packs by you and others were listed :/

So far I've seen that inside PWCG skins are recognised in .json files and sorted by aircraft type. Those are here: Rise of Flight/PWCGCampaign/RoFData/Input/Skins/Configured/

It looks like this for SPAD 13:

"s13_pw_f-cam_01": {
"skinName": "S13_PW_F-CAM_01",
"planeType": "spad13",
"startDate": "19140801",
"endDate": "19181111",
"squadId": 101000,
"country": "France",
"category": "Configured",
"definedInGame": false

and each skin has separate entry. How would one know starting/ending date and squadron ID for each skins I currently have no idea.

#14 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 12 March 2020 - 15:54

So all those skinpack that you've made and other people for Entente that are listed on Panthercules' thread are probably unavailable. Cannot find Panthercules thread now though where the separate packs by you and others were listed :/

I beieve the thread you were looking for is here:

https://riseofflight...skins-use-pwcg/

And as far as I know, all those skins (which per the updated first post in the above thread are now available re-packaged on Pat's PWCG web site, the link to which is in that first post, plus the extra pack mentioned in that first post) are still available and used by PWCG, at least by the 3.something version(s) mentioned in that thread. Those re-packaged things on Pat's site replaced all those separate packages that my thread had been listing previously.

If people are reverting back to the 1.6.something version they they'd have to rely on someone updating the relevant config files in the 1.6.something version to bring it up to 3.something standards in terms of skin usage (which I thought was what the OP here was doing, among other things).

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 65.jpg

#15 Barkhorn1x

Barkhorn1x

Posted 12 March 2020 - 16:58

If people are reverting back to the 1.6.something version they they'd have to rely on someone updating the relevant config files in the 1.6.something version to bring it up to 3.something standards in terms of skin usage (which I thought was what the OP here was doing, among other things).

Yes, If you download ALL the Central skins available for PWCG the text files from my link above will use them.

Now, the Central scout text files incorporate Gooshe's skins only thru Jasta 17.  Once Gooshe finishes up Jastas 13 thru 2 (he is done w// 16/15/14) I will take another pass at these files and reissue an update.

I will also get back to reviewing the Entente skin files but I believe these were more complete in any case. 

#16 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 12 March 2020 - 17:34

As far as any skinpacks that are downloadable by me on the PWCG site, or the link Panthercules posted then don't bother.

They will have been superseded by my later efforts, which are far superior, imho..

All my latest German scouts + Gothas + Roland are on my thread. I'll get the DFW & Halbies up there too when I find them!

#17 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 12 March 2020 - 17:42

And JSON files can be edited in notepad++, which is very nice. It'll be quite a job to rewrite them all, the format is very different to 16.3.1 and I don't think there can be many shortcuts taken sadly.

I do recall skin assignment being a bit wavy-davey in 3.3, but it's a long time since I had a go.

Individual units do have their own files in 3.3 though, which is absolutely fantastic. So it could be pretty swift to get default unit skins in the air if you'd like to start there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users