- - - - -

radiator and mixture controls

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Colin2590001

Colin2590001
  • Locationnorthants U.K.

Posted 01 October 2019 - 14:50

being new to the game and wanting to keep thing as simple as possible while I master the basics I use automatic mixture and radiator, does operating these manualy add to performance or is it just a "realism" thing. On the subject of radiators I see no engine temperature gauge in my cockpits,how do I know when to open or close the radiator shutters?

#2 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann
  • LocationChateau Boistrancourt

Posted 01 October 2019 - 16:50

Temp gauges are usually a part of the Mod packs. Open radiator when you see smoke.

If you buy Mods stay clear of the Gus Mod.

#3 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 01 October 2019 - 17:12

As Klugermann said it's easy to know when you're running too hot because it will steam. Running too cold however is not so obvious, and can crash your engine.

On planes with mixture but no radiator, a leaner mixture than the usual optimal for rpm (depends on altitude) will help keep your engine warm. But this is for extreme scenarios.

#4 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 02 October 2019 - 01:12

does operating these manualy add to performance or is it just a "realism" thing.

Yes, it adds to performance. The auto mixture feature is always too off to be useful competitively. Doing a quick test now, the Fokker D8 with auto mixture is from 4 to 5km/h slower, which is a lot.

"There will be honor enough for us all."

#5 Colin2590001

Colin2590001
  • Locationnorthants U.K.

Posted 02 October 2019 - 13:54

As usual I find the answers helpful and informative, I appreciate you taking the time to answer what to an experianced flier must seem very basic questions. My thanks to all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users