Photo
- - - - -

Still good

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Oldsimmer

Oldsimmer

Posted 26 September 2019 - 19:57

I have FC but have now returned to my ROF out of the two at the moment ROF wins with all the content and missions, as a pensioner I can not understand why I spent so much on IL2 Great battles still if I live long enough it may come true I live in hope.

ROF still has it for me.

#2 Hrafn_Kolbrandr

Hrafn_Kolbrandr

Posted 26 September 2019 - 21:33

I've come back to Rise of Flight also. My multiplayer days are behind me; so I have recently rediscovered the campaigns and career mode. I am considering loading up Pat Wilson's campaign generator as well.

RoF is just such a beautiful game. There's something about Flying Circus that just doesn't feel right, and doesn't capture the same charm of RoF. To be honest, I sort of regret the money I spent on it as well.

#3 US103_Talbot

US103_Talbot

Posted 26 September 2019 - 23:25

It's the map. All will change.

#4 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:42

For who plays competitively in multiplayer, ROF is an old shoe that got too tight to be comfortable. Folding wings with a short burst, planes shaking and jittering after a few bullets hits your fuselage, the impression that ROF has larger hitboxes and hail Mary shots that seize your engine all the time (makes any head pass just a kamikaze move, perheps why some head passers usually end up ramming you), which on its turn made the devs create the bullet dispersion,  and the list goes on. And these things were apparently fixed in Flying Circus.

I'm back playing here because Black September is occupying the only server in Flying Circus that is listed on-line (therefore the only server with regular players), but I'll be back to FC as soon as I can (if people continue to play there).

ROF has a lot of content and I miss the Nieuports and somewhat the D8, but it has some critical flaws for whom plays on-line.

"There will be honor enough for us all."

#5 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 27 September 2019 - 17:23

I've come back to Rise of Flight also. My multiplayer days are behind me; so I have recently rediscovered the campaigns and career mode. I am considering loading up Pat Wilson's campaign generator as well.
RoF is just such a beautiful game. There's something about Flying Circus that just doesn't feel right, and doesn't capture the same charm of RoF. To be honest, I sort of regret the money I spent on it as well.

And flying FC in VR is bit disappointment, you will notice this Russian design buro still has a lot to learn about VR. I even guess they do not have any VR HS to test there own results.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#6 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 27 September 2019 - 17:58

Would like to think ROF will become a classic...can't really see how FC will. I live in hope that one day all the talent that's been apparent on this board but gets ignored by 777/IC will be free to add all the stuff that's missing in ROF and will never see the light of day in FC.

It seems to be the same stuff puked up again, warts and all, with some extra ghastliness added courtesy of (Russian Design Bureau..quote Dutch2) Yugra media. As a skinner the templates in FC are awful, worse even than the ROF ones. I don't fly multiplayer & I don't have VR so there's nothing in FC for me. ROF is all I have. I don't buy the 'pay now and maybe' ethos of the developers though I understand it. Oddly, much in the same way that enthusiastic amateurs build WW1 planes, just for shits and giggles and because they care, ROF (or even FC) could be what it should to be, the definitive WW1 flight sim that'd stand the test of time and let's face it, I can't see there being another.

I like the idea of having a 'piece' of the air war presented, that makes sense. The 1916 presentation in ROF is pointless unless you have the planes, we don't and never will.  Bloody April to the Spring offensive makes more sense but again, we lack the variety of aircraft etc. A year over the trenches is something I'd pay for, if it had the variety but we don't & we won't.  I Don't need to fly them necessarily, but I'd be happy to shoot at them. 

Can't imagine what FC2 would contain in the unlikely event that it happened? 

Your content will not need to be approved by a moderator.

#7 arthursmedley

arthursmedley

Posted 28 September 2019 - 13:40

ROF is all I have.

Don't forget all that forum spam you have to report too. :icon_e_salute:

#8 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 30 September 2019 - 11:40

Well there is always that I suppose!

Your content will not need to be approved by a moderator.

#9 US103_Talbot

US103_Talbot

Posted 30 September 2019 - 20:19

Lol smedley

#10 Hrafn_Kolbrandr

Hrafn_Kolbrandr

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:51

Map's here. Still sucks with nobody to play it with. :(

#11 Porkchopper

Porkchopper
  • LocationFort Walton Beach, Florida, USA

Posted 13 October 2019 - 22:06

I have them both. Even with the new map, which feels empty with no balloons, I'm finding myself in RoF more (when I'm not flying jets in DCS) and am waiting for the next sale when I'll pick up all the remaining aircraft. Still a great experience and I'm happy to spend $1.99 on new planes.

#12 blampars

blampars

Posted 13 October 2019 - 22:58

Even with the new map, which feels empty with no balloons,

It feels crazy empty without the balloons!!  Such a simple thing makes so much of a difference.

I am enjoying FC more now that the map is out.  I am determined to partake in the multiplayer experience as much as I can.  I stuck with single player all through the RoF days and looking back, seriously regret not joining in a lot more.

As far as RoF vs FC goes, I do enjoy RoF far more still.  I've been a daily RoF flyer for years upon years now.  Doing Careers, mainly.  I love the UI.. I love the background noise/music when you load to the main screen.  I love the map, and that you can resize it...  And the actual map you fly on, in my opinion, looks way better than FC map.  It's easier to match up tree and river formations to the flight map, etc.  Maybe it's nostalgia kicking in a bit, but either way, RoF will always be installed on my computer and will still compete for flight time over any of the other sims.

aka Donik2 (online)

#13 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 14 October 2019 - 17:49

I have them both. Even with the new map, which feels empty with no balloons, I'm finding myself in RoF more (when I'm not flying jets in DCS) and am waiting for the next sale when I'll pick up all the remaining aircraft. Still a great experience and I'm happy to spend $1.99 on new planes.

I’m 100% sure balloons will be introduced later, as the same happen to the RoF map.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#14 127Tom

127Tom

Posted 29 November 2019 - 01:15

I have FC but have now returned to my ROF out of the two at the moment ROF wins with all the content and missions, as a pensioner I can not understand why I spent so much on IL2 Great battles still if I live long enough it may come true I live in hope.

ROF still has it for me.

I was considering buying it, but seen many videos I really don't see the use to upgrade other than VR and probably that it runs better (supports 64 bit system).
It looks a bit weird; it's like it sounds and looks like Il2: BoS, but at the same time uses the same physics RoF has: I seen the damage models on plenty videos and it looks excactly like RoF.
Even the balloons burst in flames and crumbles with the excact animation as RoF. It feels like a bit cheap move, and probably just a cash grab. Not made with same love that RoF was by passionate developers.

#15 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann
  • LocationChateau Boistrancourt

Posted 02 December 2019 - 14:12

Not made with same love that RoF was by passionate developers.

Well said.

#16 Pruciak

Pruciak

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:20

Tried Wings over flanders fields but I'm sticking with RoF. The damage model is what convinced me on RoF favour.

#17 dixieflyer

dixieflyer
  • LocationCain-tuh-Kee

Posted 18 December 2019 - 00:18

Hey guys!  I'm not a pensioner, but getting close!  Also, my wife is disabled with MS, so we're on a VERY tight budget. I stepped away from RoF a few years back due to real life obligations, etc. Considered buying FC, but I have so much invested in RoF, and there's so much that I didn't do with it. So, I figured for the investment of a new TrackIR to replace my broken one, I could fire up Pat Wilson's campaign generator and enjoy myself. Nice to know there are some folks thinking of doing the same. 

Warren

History is the lie we all agree upon.

#18 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 18 December 2019 - 08:40

Maybe you bought it already, but there are less expensive TrackIR solutions.

#19 Happyhaddock

Happyhaddock
  • LocationCloud cuckoo land

Posted 18 December 2019 - 09:15

Much has been said about the pros and cons of ROF vs FC and no doubt everyone will have their own reasons for chosing a favourite but I'll mention one thing that doesn't seem to have had the attention it deserves:

Many have said that for single player ROF has more/bigger maps, more planes and a scripted campaign system all contriubtuing to generating a much wider varity of encounters than FC, however to put things in  a very blunt and crude way ROF has articifical "stupidity" piloting your opponents whilst FC has artificial "intelligence". Since 777 appointed a new programmer to work on the AI for IL-2 things have been steadily improving with every update, patch and bug-fix.

In ROF I always felt I knew what the AI would do (which was not much) so you'd just follow behind them spraying them with bullets until they fell apart and then you'd keep moving on to the next targets until you ran out of ammunition. If you only got three or four kills from a flight you felt you had done badly, if you got seven or eight kills out of a full load of ammunition you felt you'd done well. Consequently all the encounters regardless of location, time period or enemy aircraft felt repetitively similar.

In FC the computer controlled opponents will try to use a speed/altitude advantage against you and won't easily waste that energy advantage, if you are the one that has the advantage they use all manner of evasive tactics and will massively vary their speed further trying to force you to overshoot or at least sacrifice your own energy advantage to stay on their tail.  Add into that the subtle improvements to  the damage model in FC meaning that it seems a little less bothered by wild spray and hope shooting that simply punches many little holes in canvas, better rewarding accurate targeting off critical systems, meaning you can't assume that your enemy's wings will soon fall off if you simply sit behind them firing enough bullets in their general direction. 

All told it means a ten minute encounter in FC in which I "fight for my life" and flee to freedom with out ever having got into a position to pull the trigger on my own guns seems far more rewarding (and realistic) an achievement than the "shooting fish in a barrel" situation I associate with ROF.

ROF was, and in many respects still is, a great WWI flight sim. However I don't think I could go back now, and if Flying Circus ever fulfils the potential it is showing at this early stage by growing and flourishing slowly over time in the same manner as ROF did then it will become something very special.

#20 dixieflyer

dixieflyer
  • LocationCain-tuh-Kee

Posted 19 December 2019 - 13:51

J2_Bidu, no, I haven't purchased it yet, so I'm all ears (eyes?) as to your suggestions. 

Happyhaddock, you raise some very good points, some of which I had conveniently forgotten about regarding the AI in RoF. 

BLUF (bottom line up front), I don't live in a situation that allows for online participation very much, and it seems as if 99% of the effort of FC is geared towards the online multiplayer. I get it, that's where the action/money is these days. It is what it is in that regard. 

Oh well. 

Warren

#21 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 19 December 2019 - 15:28

Well, I can't compare with (branded) TrackIR because I don't own it and never used it. I use DelanClip, because I can't build the thing myself (apparently not hard). DelanClip Gamer costs 40 pounds. Works marvelously well, nothing to say. I had to buy a PS3 Eye camera driver for 3 usd, because that's the camera it brings, a modified PS3 Eye. You run it with some tracking software. I use facetracknoir (free).

#22 Happyhaddock

Happyhaddock
  • LocationCloud cuckoo land

Posted 19 December 2019 - 15:54

J2_Bidu, no, I haven't purchased it yet, so I'm all ears (eyes?) as to your suggestions. 

Happyhaddock, you raise some very good points, some of which I had conveniently forgotten about regarding the AI in RoF. 

BLUF (bottom line up front), I don't live in a situation that allows for online participation very much, and it seems as if 99% of the effort of FC is geared towards the online multiplayer. I get it, that's where the action/money is these days. It is what it is in that regard. 

Oh well. 

Warren

On line is what gets almost all the attention on the forums (because the forums are online)  but only a tiny percentage of the customer base actually  post on the forums and I strongly suspect that off line single player is where the real business is based upon the number of requests on the forums for better AI which the devs are now addressing (it's not perfect yet but is so much better than ROF and getting better all the time) , plus request/demands for an campaign system which the devs are staying very quiet about at the moment.

#23 dixieflyer

dixieflyer
  • LocationCain-tuh-Kee

Posted 19 December 2019 - 18:21

Thanks J2_Bidu!  I'll look into it. 

On another note, I've been over at the FC forums. While it appears FC certainly has its advantages, I'll probably wait until it gets fleshed out a bit more, and I can afford a new PC and VR setup. Till then, I'll try to get what mileage I can out of RoF.

Warren

#24 dixieflyer

dixieflyer
  • LocationCain-tuh-Kee

Posted 19 December 2019 - 18:23

Happyhaddock,

Good points. I'm not sure if my current setup will run FC, but I'm sure it'll burn up RoF. I may have to wait a bit and see. Thanks so much for the advice sir.

Warren

#25 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 19 December 2019 - 18:38

ROF is a great game. Unfortunately multiplayer is all but dead. I am still flying single player campaigns though. And with Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator you can play a nice career. I just don't have enough time for all that. :(

In FC I get the kick of the multiplayer scene, especially rewarding in the company of friends.

#26 dixieflyer

dixieflyer
  • LocationCain-tuh-Kee

Posted 19 December 2019 - 20:50

ROF is a great game. Unfortunately multiplayer is all but dead. I am still flying single player campaigns though. And with Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator you can play a nice career. I just don't have enough time for all that. :(

In FC I get the kick of the multiplayer scene, especially rewarding in the company of friends.

Precisely why I'm going to stick with RoF for the time being. With my wife's illness, my work, chores, etc. I just can't commit to being online at certain times or days. With single player, I can fly when time and circumstances allow. Maybe things will improve in the future for me, but it's doubtful. (There's no cure for MS, and it only gets worse with time. :(  )

Warren

#27 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 19 December 2019 - 21:56

Precisely why I'm going to stick with RoF for the time being. With my wife's illness, my work, chores, etc. I just can't commit to being online at certain times or days. With single player, I can fly when time and circumstances allow. Maybe things will improve in the future for me, but it's doubtful. (There's no cure for MS, and it only gets worse with time. :(  )

Warren

Life itself is a sexually transmitted terminal disease. What we can all hope for is graceful decay. Let's hope medicine advances in time to help your wife, and us all, really.

#28 dixieflyer

dixieflyer
  • LocationCain-tuh-Kee

Posted 20 December 2019 - 00:28

Yes, quite true, and thanks!

Warren

#29 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann
  • LocationChateau Boistrancourt

Posted 23 December 2019 - 16:25

Life itself is a sexually transmitted terminal disease. What we can all hope for is graceful decay. Let's hope medicine advances in time to help your wife, and us all, really.

Are you plagiarizing Raaaid. 

#30 OneUFO1

OneUFO1

Posted 23 December 2019 - 18:47

On line is what gets almost all the attention on the forums (because the forums are online)  but only a tiny percentage of the customer base actually  post on the forums and I strongly suspect that off line single player is where the real business is . . . . .

ur right about a tiny percent of the customer base actually posting... been flying ROF Iron Cross Edition 'single player' on-and-off since it came out and i be one of them:)  considering FC, but single player campaigns are fun!  and u cnat have too much fun :)  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users