* * * * * 1 votes

need help choosing head tracking

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Colin2590001

Colin2590001
  • Locationnorthants U.K.

Posted 13 September 2019 - 21:01

Please my ignorance on this subject,  I would like to try head tracking, when I last used flight sims the top hat joy stick was considered the ultimate in high spec. Yes I am that old. The Delan engineering gamer pack seems to be a good deal at the lower end of the market but is it a false economy, would I be better off in the long run buying the more expensive alternative, bearing in mind compatability with ROF, ease of installation, setting up and such like. I do not have the knowledge or inclination to go down the build it your self route so really need an "off the shelf" product. Any advice would be greatl appreciated, I am using windows 10 if that has any bearing. Thank you in advance.

#2 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:49

Hey there Colin! 

I'd reccomend giving TrackIR a look. It's pricier than some of the cheaper tracking options out there but substantially cheaper than VR. I got TrackIR years ago and have never regretted it! A total game changer.  :icon_eek:

https://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

xAKPpvf.jpg

#3 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:36

I am a totally faithful Delan customer. I use it with FaceTrackNoIR. The "real" thing may be better, but I can't imagine in what way. It's a great product.

#4 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:14

As I’m a builder of two DIY headsets FreetrackIR and headtrackingIR or something with the same name. I did always have troubles in adjustments or behavior failures, yes I did buy the right flathead IRleds. Switching to TrackIR5 did solve everything, it is proven technique. The head sensor is a bit fragile but it does the right job much better then the reflective stickers on a cap.

On the other-hand the main reason why I did left RoF is VR, only if being proper integrated, which for FC is not, I will be back to WW1 after 20y of mainly gaming WW1 flysims.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#5 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:21

I have TrackIR 5 since 2013 and it never failed me. If you have the money, it is worth every penny.

"There will be honor enough for us all."

#6 Colin2590001

Colin2590001
  • Locationnorthants U.K.

Posted 19 September 2019 - 14:59

Thanks for the replies, as this is a whole new thing for me and not wanting to spend to much on something that may end up stuck away in a drawer, I have decided to go with the delan option, will let you know how I get on.

#7 Colin2590001

Colin2590001
  • Locationnorthants U.K.

Posted 23 September 2019 - 21:26

Well, I have bought the delan clip and installed face track noir, set it up temporarily with the camera sitting on a old coffee jar, and the clip velcroed to my head phones. I am impressed, takes a bit of getting used to and a lot of moving the coffee jar around my desk to get the tracking right but well worth the effort. For what I consider a fair price a very nice well solid little bit of kit.

#8 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 24 September 2019 - 05:56

Hey! Great you liked it! I have posted solution a while ago to the problem of not being able to look straight up. Are you experiencing that?

#9 Colin2590001

Colin2590001
  • Locationnorthants U.K.

Posted 24 September 2019 - 16:31

I have not experienced that problem yet, at the moment I am still trying out various camera and clip positions for optimum performance, what I need is some form of flexible mounting for the camera as I find just clipping it to the top of my monitor does not suit my sitting position. I have an old angle-poise lamp I might try to adapt, failing that a long "goose-neck" should do the trick, any way thanks for your reccomendation.

#10 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 24 September 2019 - 17:00

I used the camera on top of the monitor for a long while, but I had problems looking deep inside the cockpit. It turned out better to place it at the base of the monitor. Try different things, see how you feel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users