PiMax 4k in lieu of TrackIR?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ggrognard

ggrognard
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 July 2019 - 23:04

I got my hands on an (old) PiMax 4k. 

Is there a way to leverage this in lieu of Track IR, et al?  I tried TrackIR a year or so ago and was entirely unsatisfied...  and quit playing entirely.

If I could get the game to use my PiMax instead of a TrakIR setup...  I think it might be doable.

I realize the new IL2 Flying Circus is to be full 3d...but I already own a dozen kites here and it would be nice to get SOME use out of them.  :(

Thanks,

GG

#2 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 27 July 2019 - 23:43

Don't think so. Flying Circus is almost ready, we're basically waiting for the map. All the planes are done, give or take the occasional glitch.

It will take quite some time for the whole ROF plane set to be supported, if it ever happens (let's hope so!).

#3 ggrognard

ggrognard
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 July 2019 - 00:39

I sure wish I could get warmed up here.  I just counted.  I have 24 aircraft here and almost every one with zero hours.  :(

#4 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:49

Well, I don't quite understand your dissatisfaction with TrackIR. I've been using it for a few years, and I'm totally satisfied. What exactly don't you like in it? Maybe we can help you on the specifics.

#5 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 28 July 2019 - 17:24

Agree with Bidu on this. I'm also a long time Trackir user, and there's nothing better for 2D gaming. Sure there are other options, but haven't seen one faster or more reliable so far. After tuning, it will become second nature to the point that you'll be unable to play without it.

#6 ggrognard

ggrognard
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 July 2019 - 23:47

Agree with Bidu on this. I'm also a long time Trackir user, and there's nothing better for 2D gaming. Sure there are other options, but haven't seen one faster or more reliable so far. After tuning, it will become second nature to the point that you'll be unable to play without it.

hmmm...  That was the problem.  I had to "tune" it every time I played and more because it seemed that every night, at some point, it would get jacked up in the middle of a game and I could literally not look up, or behind myself at all.  I have long lost the TrackIR headware and setup and would rather not buy another only to upgrade to 3d like the rest of the planet in a year or so (just another reason).  It would be nice to get some use out of the 24 aircraft I purchased with the hardware I own

From a pure hardware perspective, I see no reason the Pi4k could not work; if the software allows it/can be configured correctly.  If it can wrap a pure 2d movie in the Pi4k with no real issues why not use it to simply re-display what is on the screen and track the head rotation?  I was hoping it might be able to the something similar with this game and substitute for TrackIR.

Regardless, I do appreciate the feedback.  Thanks.

#7 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:38

Ok, I see. Just for you to get yhe complete picture, there are TrackIR solutions for every price, and it is perfectly possible to look back and 90 degree up. This last bit could require a tweak, depending on your solution.

#8 ggrognard

ggrognard
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 July 2019 - 23:15

I do appreciate the feedback.  Thanks.

#9 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:07

I got my hands on an (old) PiMax 4k.

Is there a way to leverage this in lieu of Track IR, et al? I tried TrackIR a year or so ago and was entirely unsatisfied... and quit playing entirely.

If I could get the game to use my PiMax instead of a TrakIR setup... I think it might be doable.

I realize the new IL2 Flying Circus is to be full 3d...but I already own a dozen kites here and it would be nice to get SOME use out of them. :(

Thanks,
GG

You could buy software like VorpX to make a flatscreen VR mode possible, do a search here at the forum as some did try this.
About VR in this $70,- FC, mmmm yep I know some are now going to bash me forever on the BoS forum: do not expect here a high VR quality work from that Russian “design” buro, as in VR the cockpits of the WW1 planes are disappointing for 2019 standards, as if they did not have an proper VR headset to test the design results.

edit: if being interested in WW1 combat flysim just take also an close look to this $30,- game http://www.overfland....com/index.html only just like RoF no VR.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users