Photo
- - - - -

Memory usage is too high (even though I'm running a "high end" pc)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Bottoni

Bottoni
  • LocationSão Paulo, Brazil

Posted 20 May 2019 - 18:09

Hello!

I recently updated my computer (Acer VX5-591G laptop - i7 7700HQ; GTX 1050ti; 16GB RAM), expecting to play ROF in its full glory, with max settings (as I know this rig can manage), but was intrigued when the memory usage was WAY beyond 100% (800% to be exact) and it barely managed to maintain 50fps, dropping to 35-45fps near cities and at low altitudes. I tried downgrading some of the settings (i.e. disable supersambling, bloom, HDR, reflections, texture filtering, etc)

Attached File  rofsettings.jpg   120KB   0 downloads.

Although I could clock 60fps most of the time, it still drops to 50-55fps near cities and at low altitudes.

Attached File  52fpsarras.jpg   375.71KB   0 downloads

I searched every forum you can imagine and tried all the different "fixes", but couldn't fix the issue. I even tried overclocking my GPU using MSI Afterburner, but I think it's irrelevant, as the GPU usage stays at around 30-40%.

Attached File  msi.jpg   138.21KB   0 downloads

And YES, I made sure the game is using the NVIDIA card, not the integrated graphics.

What do you think it's happening here? Am I mistaken and my current rig just can't take maxed-out ROF? Is it bottlenecking? Bad optimization? Am I supposed to accept my laptop can't run a 2009 game, even though I can run Battlefield 1 at constant 60 fps with some of the settings in ultra? It's frustrating, man...

I'll even attach my NVIDIA Control Panel settings to check if there's something wrong with them.

Attached File  nvidia1.jpg   214.11KB   0 downloads

Attached File  nvidia2.jpg   227.23KB   0 downloads

Attached File  nvidia3.jpg   280.9KB   0 downloads

Attached File  nvidia4.jpg   226.06KB   0 downloads

*Translations:

Desligado - Off

Ligado - On

Controlado por aplicativo - Application-controlled

Nenhum - None

Permitir - Allow

Alto desempenho - High Performance

Preferência por desempenho máximo - Prefer maximum performance

Thank you very much, kind reader, for your time and support.

S!  :icon_e_salute:

#2 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 20 May 2019 - 19:16

Olá, Bottoni!

Checking the benchmarking site (links below) your GPU seems to be just a tad better than mine (R9 280X) (6020 vs 5844). Your CPU however is quite better than mine (Intel Core i7-920 @ 2.67GHz) (benchmark 8806 vs 4917).

I'm running several options higher than yours, although my anti-aliasing is 2 against your 8. But I got max reflections, etc.

Can you remove the multi-GPU option, and the vertical synchronization and try again?
Also note that you want the NVIDIA settings associated with ROF.EXE, not the Settings.EXE startup program.

Now, what else is your computer running?

#3 Bottoni

Bottoni

Posted 20 May 2019 - 20:01

Olá, Bottoni!

Checking the benchmarking site (links below) your GPU seems to be just a tad better than mine (R9 280X) (6020 vs 5844). Your CPU however is quite better than mine (Intel Core i7-920 @ 2.67GHz) (benchmark 8806 vs 4917).

I'm running several options higher than yours, although my anti-aliasing is 2 against your 8. But I got max reflections, etc.

Can you remove the multi-GPU option, and the vertical synchronization and try again?
Also note that you want the NVIDIA settings associated with ROF.EXE, not the Settings.EXE startup program.

Now, what else is your computer running?

Hey, Bidu! Thanks for the quick answer.

Somehow the Multi-GPU option actually improves performance, and I managed to gain around 3-5 fps without v-sync, but as I'm on a laptop, the screen tearing is really bad, so I'm willing to trade 5 fps for a smooth image.

I double-checked the NVIDIA settings and yes, both ROF.exe and Settings.exe are associated with the NVIDIA card.

Last but not least, besides ROF.exe and all the standard system processes, I'm running Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (for undervolting the processor, as it gets very hot), Dolby Audio, Logitech Profiler, MSI Afterburner and sometimes Spotify, but the CPU usage between all these is only 4-8%. There's also Superfetch, which accounts for about 110MB of RAM usage, but 0% CPU usage. Can the latter be an issue?

Oh, and the GPU is running ROF only.

Any thoughts?

#4 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 20 May 2019 - 20:31

Do you have two GTX 1050 Ti? Because you checked the box for SLI.

"There will be honor enough for us all."

#5 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 20 May 2019 - 20:40

Do you play full screen or windowed? I play full screen.

The excessive memory usage may be just a bug calculating the used memory. Used to happen a lot in the old days when computers started coming with a lot more RAM than anyone had predicted would be reasonable.

#6 Bottoni

Bottoni

Posted 20 May 2019 - 20:47

Do you have two GTX 1050 Ti? Because you checked the box for SLI.

Salve!

Just one, but as I said, checking that option actually increases performance for me.

#7 Bottoni

Bottoni

Posted 20 May 2019 - 20:48

Do you play full screen or windowed? I play full screen.

The excessive memory usage may be just a bug calculating the used memory. Used to happen a lot in the old days when computers started coming with a lot more RAM than anyone had predicted would be reasonable.

I noticed my performance is a tad better in fullscreen.

Hmm... Is there any way to fiddle with the archives, maybe edit them, so that I limit my RAM or maybe force the game to recognize the NVIDIA GPU? I have no idea if this is even possible, heheh...

#8 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:12

Are you running the latest drivers from the GPU manufacturer site?

#9 Bottoni

Bottoni

Posted 21 May 2019 - 18:33

Are you running the latest drivers from the GPU manufacturer site?

Yes, updated regularly through GeForce Experience.

#10 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 21 May 2019 - 19:49

And what is your current operating system?

#11 Bottoni

Bottoni

Posted 21 May 2019 - 23:25

And what is your current operating system?

Windows 10 Home Single Language 64 bits.

#12 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 22 May 2019 - 15:40

Sorry I can not read your setting but this maybe helpfull. the afterburner readout looks good btw, only the Vcard mem in the rof screen not, looks like a detection bug. Also your receiving FPS is not that low considering the low range GTX1050ti and the labtop you are using.

Try this: Ingame resolution=monitor resolution, ROF ingame Vsync, Antialiasing and shadows both to zero. Test.
Keep in your mind the ingame SS and AA8x can not work together.

If not helping, download this https://www.guru3d.c...r-download.html
Let DDU remover all the Vcard drivers start with AMD, then Intel Vcard drivers then at last the Nvidia drivers.
Restart the PC, your PC is now clean from all kind of Vcard leftovers.
Now let Windows install the Vcard driver, so you know this is the most stable version and the right one.
Test again.

edit are you sure you did disable the onboard IntelGPU in the BIOS?
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#13 Bottoni

Bottoni

Posted 23 May 2019 - 14:44

Sorry I can not read your setting but this maybe helpfull. the afterburner readout looks good btw, only the Vcard mem in the rof screen not, looks like a detection bug. Also your receiving FPS is not that low considering the low range GTX1050ti and the labtop you are using.

Try this: Ingame resolution=monitor resolution, ROF ingame Vsync, Antialiasing and shadows both to zero. Test.
Keep in your mind the ingame SS and AA8x can not work together.

If not helping, download this https://www.guru3d.c...r-download.html
Let DDU remover all the Vcard drivers start with AMD, then Intel Vcard drivers then at last the Nvidia drivers.
Restart the PC, your PC is now clean from all kind of Vcard leftovers.
Now let Windows install the Vcard driver, so you know this is the most stable version and the right one.
Test again.

edit are you sure you did disable the onboard IntelGPU in the BIOS?

Hello, Dutch!

I tried the suggested ROF settings and although I gained fps, it still drops below 60 near large cities.

The link is broken.

I installed Win 10 Pro and let Windows Update deal with the drivers. Issue still persists.

Finally, for some reason I cannot access advanced options in my BIOS, I think it's locked for my Aspire VX5-591G... Any more ideas? Maybe installing Windows 7 Ultimate with dual boot?

Thanks!!

#14 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 23 May 2019 - 15:25

I tried the suggested ROF settings and although I gained fps, it still drops below 60 near large cities.

That's a ROF thing (poor optimization that was never resolved) and the GTX 1050 Ti is sort of like my old GTX 770, and I felt a difference from my actual 1060. Your CPU is also for notebooks and clock is paramount when we are talking about poorly optimized games. When I overclocked my 3770K to 4.7Ghz, I felt a difference as well. But I think everyone in general experiences fps drops over cities and heavy clouds. It will also depend on mission makers (for multiplayer). If the mission is poorly built, it will stutter / lag over crowded sections (objects, AIs and such) or large furballs.

You can minimize these drops, but it won't go completely away.

#15 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 23 May 2019 - 15:28

Think it does have a new version published try this https://www.guru3d.c...r-download.html

I would never install win7, stay to win10.

Beware while your monitor I guess is 60hz, it does not make any sense in going higher that is waisted GPU power.

Any labtop GPU is always lower in performance then its desktop version, your 1050ti could be acting like an desktop GTX1050.

Here try to open your Bios https://community.ac...to-bios-v5-591g
Disable the onboard GPU.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#16 Bottoni

Bottoni

Posted 23 May 2019 - 23:02

That's a ROF thing (poor optimization that was never resolved) and the GTX 1050 Ti is sort of like my old GTX 770, and I felt a difference from my actual 1060. Your CPU is also for notebooks and clock is paramount when we are talking about poorly optimized games. When I overclocked my 3770K to 4.7Ghz, I felt a difference as well. But I think everyone in general experiences fps drops over cities and heavy clouds. It will also depend on mission makers (for multiplayer). If the mission is poorly built, it will stutter / lag over crowded sections (objects, AIs and such) or large furballs.

You can minimize these drops, but it won't go completely away.

Yeah, I suspected from the start this was the reason... Oh well, guess I'll have to wait for Flying Circus. Meanwhile I'll play ROF without so much eye-candy.

Valeu, mano!

PS: Você joga ROF ainda ou migrou completamente pro FC? É difícil achar algum BR que ainda jogue.

#17 Bottoni

Bottoni

Posted 23 May 2019 - 23:02

Think it does have a new version published try this https://www.guru3d.c...r-download.html

I would never install win7, stay to win10.

Beware while your monitor I guess is 60hz, it does not make any sense in going higher that is waisted GPU power.

Any labtop GPU is always lower in performance then its desktop version, your 1050ti could be acting like an desktop GTX1050.

Here try to open your Bios https://community.ac...to-bios-v5-591g
Disable the onboard GPU.

Thanks for the support, Dutch!

#18 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 23 May 2019 - 23:41

Yeah, I suspected from the start this was the reason... Oh well, guess I'll have to wait for Flying Circus. Meanwhile I'll play ROF without so much eye-candy.

Valeu, mano!

PS: Você joga ROF ainda ou migrou completamente pro FC? É difícil achar algum BR que ainda jogue.

Nowadays (I'll keep in English for the others) I'm flying most of the time on Flying Circus - because I consider the game engine way better (damage model, flight model, maps) and because multiplayer has much better furball missions with no lag / stutter (that is critical).

But I disagree on the Brazilian thing. I saw a Brazilian Facebook page for Il-2 with more than 600 members. I imagine not all of them play the game, but a big portion might play I assume. But what really kills the game is the mission builder. You need to be a programmer (or close to it) to mess with it. I was going to open a server back in the day but I gave up (I can't waste my time with the mission builder). Perhaps when I retire. It is too complex.

If they had a good / accessible mission builder and an easy dserver, I would consider opening a server / website for South America. It could bring some people online. Unfortunately they never really considered improving the mission builder (not even with the whole community complaining about it). And nowadays I don't think I would have time to dedicate myself to the game at this level. I'm more causal now.

Show up at Flying Circus. If you like dogfighting, it is a must at this point (for the lack of any other studio working on simulators other than DCS). If your thing is role playing, single player and missions, it will take some time untill Flying Circus gets mature enough.

#19 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:46

On the other hand, in FC you can fly in VR. As first being very skeptical about this, right now I an game does not have VR, I’m not going to buy it.
Negativity is that you need an future i10-12000k 7Ghz and RTX4080tii to run FC at a straight 90FPS.

#20 Bottoni

Bottoni

Posted 27 May 2019 - 12:33

Well, boys, I did it.

Windows 10 was to blame all this time... After a painful process of installing Windows 7 Ultimate with dual boot mode, Settings.exe finally recognizes my GPU and memory usage, with max settings, clocks at only 24%! FPS ingame is a lot better too! I knew my rig could pull off more than it did before.

Thanks for the support!

I`m off to enjoy this wonderful game!  :icon_e_salute:

#21 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 27 May 2019 - 13:11

Wow, didn't expect that!

Great that you solved it!

#22 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 08 June 2019 - 10:02

Well, boys, I did it.

Windows 10 was to blame all this time... After a painful process of installing Windows 7 Ultimate with dual boot mode, Settings.exe finally recognizes my GPU and memory usage, with max settings, clocks at only 24%! FPS ingame is a lot better too! I knew my rig could pull off more than it did before.

Thanks for the support!

I`m off to enjoy this wonderful game! :icon_e_salute:

Has nothing to do with win10, otherwise most owners would have the same problems, its just the wrong Videocard driver being installed or an leftover. Thats why I always suggest to delete all the videodrivers and let the windows update install the drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users