Photo
- - - - -

TrackIR Getting Squirrely

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PzKwVI

PzKwVI

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:55

I love Track IR, but recently it's getting so squirrely that I can't use it. I'm using the cap mounted reflector version. I keep the lights low or off in the room, keep my hat square, shut down the IR completely off, then fire it back up, but no Joy. Any suggestions from you veteran aces out there??

#2 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:15

You may have to define "squirrely" in a slightly more technical context.. ?

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#3 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:53

Never had trouble with my apocryphal solution. But of course I don't use it with direct sun coming through the window or very strong room lights or mirrors behind me.

#4 Kelp44

Kelp44
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 14 May 2019 - 16:24

My solution for blocking to intense sun light through the window behind was blocking it with an old dia projector screen.
Proves also quite handy in squirreling that away after flying )))

#5 PzKwVI

PzKwVI

Posted 14 May 2019 - 16:54

By squirrely I mean the setup image jumps uncontrollably around in all directions. F12 centers the grid, but the display immediately begins to jump around. I've tried to use it in a COMPLETELY dark room but the symptoms don't change. The camera indicators start up properly. 1. Turn on TrackIR, 2. Plug into PC, both red indicators come on.  3. Put on hat, left green indicator comes on, 4. Turn on game - right indicator comes on.  Then, and sometimes during step 3, left green indicator blinks erratically.  During setup or game play, blinking indicator results in erratic, unusable view from cockpit. (I'm so accustomed to using the TrackIR that reverting to earlier play seems prehistoric.)  Has anybody seen this problem?

#6 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 14 May 2019 - 19:32

I find the software to be a pain in the butt. Profiles / Saving settings, always problems.

Anyway try under the 'Camera' tab. I've had settings change in there that's messed things up.

Brightness and Threshold settings in particular - these can be make or break !

S!

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#7 PzKwVI

PzKwVI

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:21

Thanks Zooropa... I'll check that out. (May I ask how you happened to choose your user name?)

#8 Lt.Vaughn

Lt.Vaughn

Posted 16 May 2019 - 04:29

Hi, PzKwVI,

A few things to check.

Basic settings:

1. Start the Trackkir program. Select (“Panel View”, 3rd from right) small icon at the top right of your screen. This should bring up the “Basic Settings” window that shows 

your Device #, Profile and Title at the top left of the screen. Under the “Basic Settings” header maker sure the “Tracking Target” is set to “TrackClip” NOT

Trackclip  PRO.

Simply click on the picture of the hat reflectors to select it.

Advanced Settings:

2. Select the “Camera” tab on the Advanced Settings. (below the Basic Settings)

Status LEDs Brightness:                                                                your preference (indicator LED brightness)

Camera Rotation is normally set to:                                           0 (Trackir camera in front above your head)

Light Filter Threshold:                                                             150 (erroneous background light rejection)

IR Brightness:                                                                            10 (brightness of IR Camera emitters which bounce off of your hat reflectors)

Video Processing:                                                                          Precision (sets the camera to high resolution)

Precision Mode Smoothing:                                                  100.0

3. Put on the hat reflector.

a) Click the (“HeadsUP View”, 1st from the right) small icon at the top right of your screen.

This will bring up the full screen grid display. (Normal spherical centering “3d view”)

At the top left of your screen you will see a small rectangle that says: “Display”, click on it and select “Camera View” from the drop down menu.

A 480 x 640 grid will appear along with 3 green colored ovals.

The green dots are the reflected images from you hat back to the camera and are what makes your head alignment within a game.

IF, you see ANY red dots, those are unwanted light sources that you will have to filter out with the Advanced Settings or physically locate and block them.

c) Move your head back and forth, up and down to make sure the 3 wanted green ovals track your head movements without any two of the three colliding.

If they do, your view within the game will jump uncontrollably.

Normally, because the hat reflectors are positioned horizontally collision of the dots is not a problem.

Once you remove all of the red dots and get the green ovals moving without colliding you can change the “Camera View” back to the “3d View”; do your regular F12 centering and you should be set to go.

I hope this is not too confusing and is helpful.

If I can be of further help/clarification, just ask.

Thanks,  :icon_e_salute:

Tony Stark is my pilot.

#9 PzKwVI

PzKwVI

Posted 18 May 2019 - 23:53

Lt. Vaughn, as your title says. you are an officer and a gentleman!! That was a perfect setup explanation! I had the red dots. What were they? Reflections from my glasses! I took 'em off, reset everything, and now have clean operation... even with my glasses on! (???) Thank you so much. If you ever want a cup of coffee, come on down to the Goat Locker.... I mean the chief's mess... and have one on me!!  (Former Navy jargon)

#10 Lt.Vaughn

Lt.Vaughn

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:54

Hi, PzKwVI,

Fabulous -- glad I could help.

Thanks for the offer of a cuppa "joe."

:icon_e_salute:

Tony Stark is my pilot.

#11 Barkhorn1x

Barkhorn1x

Posted 21 May 2019 - 15:42

Hi, PzKwVI,