* * * * * 1 votes

DUAL FLIGHT CONTROL FOR ROF?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Todt_Von_Oben

Todt_Von_Oben
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 11 May 2019 - 22:52

Has anyone tried to connect TWO sets of flight controls (say, two CH Fightersticks and two Pro Pedals) to the same computer to achieve dual control over the same aircraft?  

On our gaming computer, extra USBs are available but I'm concerned how the software might react.  

My intent is to enable dual control flight instruction.  Anyone ever tried this? How did it go?

Thanks,

Todt

Attached Files

#2 US103_Doolittle

US103_Doolittle
  • LocationORD

Posted 12 May 2019 - 00:44

https://www.youtube....NOD7VvCg/videos

#3 Todt_Von_Oben

Todt_Von_Oben
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 12 May 2019 - 01:45

Thanks Doolittle.  If there was one there, I didn't see any videos there that looked like an answer to my question and don't have time to check them all out.  

But I did connect two sets of CH controls via USB to my computer without changing the CH map; then I started the computer and brought up my CH map, Track IR, and then the game.

The only ones that worked were the first stick and pedals I originally installed.  The working stick shows a red light; the inop stick shows a green light but has no function. The second set of pedals does nothing.

I've only made one CH control map and don't know much about that but my next thought is to try to make a map that recognizes both sets of controls.    

So far, no joy, though.

Working on it.  If successful, I'll let others know.

#4 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:29

This is a very interesting idea! Please keep us posted! 

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

xAKPpvf.jpg

#5 Todt_Von_Oben

Todt_Von_Oben
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:34

Thanks Cole, 

But I think I've gone as far with it as I'm going to.

1. If dual is even possible, it looks like it would involve creating a second map for my CH controls and I know that can be done but don't know how to do it.  (I had to follow a video tutorial to set it up the first time and now I don't recall how it's done.)

2. Once before when I fiddled with my CH controls, I had to reload the game to get them working.  Don't want to risk going through that again. 

3. Today was my wife's second day flying ROF and we seem to be getting by without dual controls.  We take turns in the seat; I'll demonstrate level flight, a coordinated turn, or something like that; then we'd swap and she'd do what I did.  Worked pretty well. Tomorrow I'll have her working on GRM's like turns around a point and we'll take it a step at a time beyond that.  So dual controls are no longer an idea we're working on.

But as you say, it is an interesting concept.  Maybe someone more adept at setting up CH control maps will try it sometime.  But as for me; I'm done with it.  

Prosit!  

This is a very interesting idea! Please keep us posted! 

#6 US103_Doolittle

US103_Doolittle
  • LocationORD

Posted 12 May 2019 - 16:14

Have you tried piggy-back splicing the usb wires of each controller with a splitter

https://www.amazon.c...g/dp/B01KX4TKH6

#7 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 12 May 2019 - 20:35

You can assign 2 sets of controls in theory, as long as windows and RoF see's them as separate controllers. Then just assign the controls in RoF settings. You can set 3 inputs to a single command in RoF. 

#8 Todt_Von_Oben

Todt_Von_Oben
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 12 May 2019 - 23:21

Have you tried piggy-back splicing the usb wires of each controller with a splitter

https://www.amazon.c...g/dp/B01KX4TKH6

No.  I did think about that but the splitters I saw had one side for data and the other side only for charging.  Didn't think that would work and didn't try it.  

#9 Todt_Von_Oben

Todt_Von_Oben
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 12 May 2019 - 23:26

You can assign 2 sets of controls in theory, as long as windows and RoF see's them as separate controllers. Then just assign the controls in RoF settings. You can set 3 inputs to a single command in RoF. 

That's encouraging.  I could try to find that video i watched back in 2017 that shows how to make maps.  No experience there, though,so I'm gonna have to research it.  No longer high on my priorities list because we've been able to do without it but still I'd like to see if it will work so I won't say I'm absolutely quits with the concept at this point.  

I was hoping others with more experience would try it but I do realize it takes two sets of CH controls and not many might have that.

#10 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 13 May 2019 - 13:07

I've used 2x Saitek quadrants with RoF and it see's them as sepeate controllers. I also have functions mapped to my stick that are also mapped to my throttle.

So it is possible. But it would have to be completed in the RoF controller settings rather than through CH manager.

Not that I've ever used Ch manager or anystick management for quite some time. I prefer to set functions in game. Unless you want to set up complex key press macro's, I cant see the point.

#11 Todt_Von_Oben

Todt_Von_Oben
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 13 May 2019 - 23:54

I've used 2x Saitek quadrants with RoF and it see's them as sepeate controllers. I also have functions mapped to my stick that are also mapped to my throttle.

So it is possible. But it would have to be completed in the RoF controller settings rather than through CH manager.

Not that I've ever used Ch manager or anystick management for quite some time. I prefer to set functions in game. Unless you want to set up complex key press macro's, I cant see the point.

Thanks Steve.  I've only done it once and CH controls are all I have.  Don't know anything about the ROF controller settings but will look into that.  Sounds like a way to go that won't involve me tampering with CH and maybe having to reload the game (again; BTDT).  And that would be great!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users