- - - - -

[ToW] tidesofwar.net Dallas Texas USA

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#1 Fuby

Fuby

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:51

Hello all,

Would like all to know that the [ToW] server has been and is up and running.
All are welcomed to join. Although club servers, our teamspeak is also available.
Both are for public use as well as club. We ask that you be patient and respectful of others.
With that attitude, we can all share in the fun and enjoy our flights..
GlobalStats are on, although we are personally more for the flight than fight.
Gameserver is located in Dallas Texas USA.
This should serve well as a center point thru-out the states for ping.
It has for our other games at least.

Our server is currently set to 14 players with a wait on performance monitoring.
To try and have the least of lag, warp etc… possible. (im sure in time we will have that)
All seems to be as good as can be expected with current version of RoF and hardware.

I personally enjoy messing with the map editor and with the first release's of multiplayer maps and reading as much as I can find..
I have been able to create some smaller and yet mission oriented scenarios.
Most have something like bomb a bridge or train included with the dogfights.
Please read all missions as they are not just furballs.

Everything but level flight and warm engines is turned off. Please know how to get
into the air and how to view the map, players list etc.
If you have yet to stop in. Please.. do so.. and say hello!

Gameserver: [ToW] Tidesofwar.net 24/7
Teamspeak address: same as our website tidesofwar.net (no password needed, self register)

later guys,

Fuby

#2 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 14 December 2009 - 15:37

The missions are really nice but the ammount of warping I get there makes it totally unplayable for me :|

#3 =MFC=Gunloon

=MFC=Gunloon

Posted 14 December 2009 - 15:59

The missions are really nice but the ammount of warping I get there makes it totally unplayable for me :|

The amount of warping is up significantly with the 1.009 update, Neoqb has noticed it brought several issues with it and hopefully as they say they'll 'squash the bugs' in the next one.

A lot of this is forgivable, to me…beta testing is one thing but something like net code takes data from real world use to optimize.

And yeah, warping does totally suck…especially when the guy in front of me is bouncing like a rabbit but I'm not bouncing for the guy shooting at me!

[MF] Gunloon

#4 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 14 December 2009 - 19:12

I have a couple small observations re: ToW server.

1. The missions are interesting and fun to fly.

2. The warping was as bad as ever over the weekend (practically unplayable).

3. Is there at all a way to delineate a "safe" zone to land/ditch for each side in the ME? I failed to read the entire mission description yesterday and proceeded to have a whale of a mission. With nary a scratch, I headed home and landed back at my home base…and was captured. :shock: With the precarious and finnicky nature of the engines and airframes at times, having a viable place to ditch inside friendly lines would be much appreciated. Right now, you truly have to pretend you're flying over the ocean the entire time (once up, you can't land!), and any mechanical issues will result in death or capture…period.

#5 Fuby

Fuby

Posted 14 December 2009 - 20:17

Im thinking there are issues with the current code..maybe not..
but seems there are only a handful of servers up. And I think they all warp.
it's not the box, it's at 50-60% usage now and the connection is tried and true.

Hopefully, this gets better.. it might also be we are playing around the world.
Use to be, you try to find the closest server, so those green bars do mean something.
Alot of other Multiplayer games have settings to restrict those with high ping to connect to a server.
This sometimes can drag a server down for those that do have a good ping to the server.
RoF has no setting to limit ping that I know of?

There is also a Server traffic limit included in the latest release.
yet no one has said what it does and which way to set it?
I have tried all three settings and see no difference.
This might be an issue to look into for client and server.
Don't really know these answers, I do know, when everyone connects and its less lag and warps..
its a blast and a good time! great game for the "FUN" aspect at the moment.

As for the maps, I been asking around and looking around.. until I have a way to make an area
Allies or Central..that does not add lag into the map (seems some do like zone checking etc)..I would suggest level flight and finish.

These maps are for 20-30 minute play instead of what you may get in single player. Something to have "fun" in, not true to any historic markings. Most players, do the little mission and blow up a train etc.. then shoot people down. When a side is all down you hit esc finish and we go to the next map.. although its fun to land, most players wont stick around while someone flies back to base etc for 10-15 minutes. Which bothers some and empties the servers. which takes away from the multiplayer side of RoF.. Bad enough our spectate is broke in the last version. Imagine those joining stare'n at the ground, waiting any longer then need be to get into a game.

RoF splits the map "I Think" with the frontlines. I personally do not want to cross the front everytime I wish to have a small battle. they have tools to use in the ME but very little documentations… like there is a Translator:influence area you can use..might fix this problem, but we dont know how to add it into the missions yet. sigh.. there are a bunch of them like that. The map is huge and has great views from areas nowhere near the frontlines. So.. I put the WHOLE mission into an area that maybe/is one side or the other.

Hopefully, Mission Editors forum will come around and someone to support it. So we can ask these questions and get the real answer on how to use the tools. till then,
keep a level head and a level plane when finishing..;) Remember, it's still a pretty new program and changing daily..err monthly..

hope this helps understanding the setup on ToW server.. in the end..it's all good..;)
hope to see more online..with good pings and good attitudes towards FUN!!

#6 Fuby

Fuby

Posted 16 December 2009 - 00:48

Maps Currently Online:

ToW_Flurries
Weather: overcast, snow flurries, cold!
This scenario will take the Allies into Factory hunting territory! Find the Factory and destroy it if you can!
Central Powers will defend and the dogfights will begin!

ToW_Freighter
Weather: partly cloudy
Central Powers must destroy the tug rolling down the river! Beware the machingun and AntiAirCraft!
Allies will defend! Note: the tug does not get very far from the leaving port area. Search there.

RainyDays
Weather: overcast, light rain, cold!
Raindrop feature is on. no performance hit so turn it on!
This is a straight up dogfight map. Find the ballons in the center. Enjoy your flight.

troop transport
The Allies mission is to destroy the train before it crosses the bridge!
Central Powers will defend.

Battle of the Bridges
Ten bridges stand while you meet for a dogfight. Five bridges can earn each side points.
ballons are also in the mix.. believe me, stay near the bridges and you will meet up!
Watch which ones you bomb. Obviously, Central Powers has no bombs yet.. will turn bombers back on at later date.

ToW_Dogfight
Weather: Clear
Straight flights to dogfight area. Have at it boys! Tally-hooooo

BlackForest_Bridge
Allies have a mission deep in the forest. Destroy two bridges while avoiding the bullets!
Central Powers will be defending those Bridges in one form or another!
Do not bomb the Church!!

The_Valley_HighNoon
Allies must take out the train before it enters the safe zone.

TrainArrival_TvT
Allies will take out the train before it crosses the map. Check at the train station while it's stopped.

One_bridge_too_many
Allies have six bridges to take down. It's possible if you work as a team.
Central Powers will make it almost impossible while defending.

More maps and updates will be an on going event. Check back often.
Depending on RoF version.. AI may or may not appear in maps.
This is to ensure lag-free play as best as possible.

#7 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:39

Thanks again Fuby. ;)

#8 Jughead_Jones

Jughead_Jones

Posted 16 December 2009 - 15:59

Popped in yesterday for the first time. Good mission layout, short and sweet :) Loved the chase the boat mission very fun!

#9 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 16 December 2009 - 16:02

I sunk the freighter the day before yesterday but the mission would not end and it did not get credit for it.

#10 Fuby

Fuby

Posted 16 December 2009 - 18:28

I sunk the freighter the day before yesterday but the mission would not end and it did not get credit for it.

Well, this one is an interesting map…to play and try to figure out whats wrong in the ME ..

seems it will run fine 3-4 times then the next time the boat will be running underwater..:)

As you can tell here, there is no forum for the Mission Editor , nor anyone on the dev team that seems to support it with answers in 3rd party etc.
Most, that are making missions are just stumbling through hoping they turn out right. While at the same time RoF is adding other features into it. Sooner or later it will all balance out and all maps will be perfect..till then..stuff happens..
Some mention they didnt get kill points or they didnt get bridge knockout points and now the ship.. all I can say, like the ship floating and then not.. points must do the same.. sometimes they work.. sometimes they don't.. best answer I got for ya at this time.

As for mission ending.. this is a side mission, it will not end..
fight till other side is down.. in the end it's all about the dog fights. press esc finish when the rest are down..

#11 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 17 December 2009 - 13:14

Flew ToW last night.

The night mission (with the full moon) was just too dark. The intentions are good, but the environment was just too dark to allow for effective intercept and SA. Honestly, I really liked it though and had a blast flying it. The anticipation, anxiety and surprise while on ingress into the target area were top, top, top. Effective SA after that was just not possible.

For some reason (maybe you know Fuby) warping was better for me last night. It was still there and quite prevalent on a couple missions, but better none the less.

The snow flurry mission was very cool. Probably my favorite of the lot.

Again, thanks for all the effort and hosting.

S!

#12 xevets

xevets

Posted 17 December 2009 - 15:13

Flew ToW last night.

The night mission (with the full moon) was just too dark. The intentions are good, but the environment was just too dark to allow for effective intercept and SA. Honestly, I really liked it though and had a blast flying it. The anticipation, anxiety and surprise while on ingress into the target area were top, top, top. Effective SA after that was just not possible.

For some reason (maybe you know Fuby) warping was better for me last night. It was still there and quite prevalent on a couple missions, but better none the less.

The snow flurry mission was very cool. Probably my favorite of the lot.

Again, thanks for all the effort and hosting.

S!

Hey I was on this server last night also,

I can't even keep up with you guys I crashed on take off a couple of times, clipped a tree just when I was about to get into a skirmish (i'm hopeless). As far as lag none on my end, no warping either seems very stable to me, even ran great with the rain drop effect…

Great server guys keep it up!

#13 =MR.FOX=

=MR.FOX=

Posted 17 December 2009 - 16:39

I had no problem with the night mission. sure I had to turn off the lights in my room to see a little better. but it was great. except that after I blew up the bridge, I got hit by some night vision sniper flak. hit right to my engine, I went down in bright flames.

#14 Jughead_Jones

Jughead_Jones

Posted 17 December 2009 - 18:12

Been getting tons O' lag after my first few visits. Funny thing is it shows as the best connected server for me in Lobby screen! :shock: All my other online games are running peachy, very odd.

#15 WWBrian

WWBrian

Posted 17 December 2009 - 20:00

Hi Fuby,

I had great fun on Tides of War the other day!
( I even made a video of flying on your server) :D

But like others, I had heavy warping. Throughout the whole mission too, not just the begining like on other servers. I've been seeing a bit more warping than usual on J99 server as well. So you may be right in suspecting the new traffic limiters on the network tab. I'd set them to HIGH and leave them if bandwidth is not an issue. What is the upstream on that server by the way?

Also, glad you found my Dr.I vs Camel mission as a good foundation to reverse engineer your own missions! But be careful, I threw that particular mission together in 10 minutes with no testing, the morning the Dr.I and Camel were released! Also of note, that was a 1.008 mission. Version 1.009 mission logic has changed and may cause some strangness even after saving in the new version.

Anyway, just thought I'd give you some user feedback, this post isn't meant as a complaint, just a way to give you an idea of other user experiences while flying on your server.

Thanks for Tides of War!

S!

#16 Fuby

Fuby

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:37

Light been added to Into the Night..
more like early morn with a full moon still in the sky..
turned into a pretty good work around..added to the list.

As for the warps.. the system is a 100mps dedicated box..
so I am thinking it should be fine there.

I think what we are all forgetting.. PING..

With so little servers up.. people connect from all over the world.
USA,Europe,Russia,Australia,South Africa,South America,Canada..;)

This in itself will probably pull down a server.. I can be feeling no lag or warp and seeing typed wow look at that warp… I ask where they are located.. most the time.. it's a long way off…we have what we have.. and can just hope it gets better.

I am hoping and wishing a Server Max ping setting is included in one of the patches.

Thanks for stopping in guys..everyone is welcomed.. and hopefully fun can be found..
Teamspeak is picking up.. stop in and say hello!!

Attached Files

#17 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:24

I am hoping and wishing a Server Max ping setting is included in one of the patches.

At least a client ping indicator is slated to be included in DF mode (not to be confused with the current latency meter) . As far as server-side and dserver controls, who knows, but I do hope the dserver will be refined a bit to add and refine host controls.

#18 Fuby

Fuby

Posted 19 December 2009 - 16:42

The Server overhead has been sitting nice with a few other games at 50% overhead.
Bumped the server to 16 player slots,

added Furball over Castle map… would like to thank the authors for this one.
Nicely done dogfight map.

Again not defending RoF, but using common sense here. When connecting to a server, make sure your getting a GREEN bar or expect to have lag and warping. Also note, if others do not follow suit, well that can be an issue also for those with the green bars. You don't always have to blame the server or RoF for that matter..might just take common sense. If they had a ping limiter for server use..I would have ours limited already to 200 or less. might even do 150 or less to make sure it ran smooth for all.

I play a TON of games as I am sure some of you do.
You always find the lowest ping or best latency server for the best lagfree game..
That's what happens in every other game out there and the reason for the latency bars.
Now, let's hope the lagfree, warpfree play gets better in next version when connect = GREEN.

#19 xevets

xevets

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:16

Light been added to Into the Night..
more like early morn with a full moon still in the sky..
turned into a pretty good work around..added to the list.

As for the warps.. the system is a 100mps dedicated box..
so I am thinking it should be fine there.

I think what we are all forgetting.. PING..

With so little servers up.. people connect from all over the world.
USA,Europe,Russia,Australia,South Africa,South America,Canada..;)

This in itself will probably pull down a server.. I can be feeling no lag or warp and seeing typed wow look at that warp… I ask where they are located.. most the time.. it's a long way off…we have what we have.. and can just hope it gets better.

Thanks for stopping in guys..everyone is welcomed.. and hopefully fun can be found..
Teamspeak is picking up.. stop in and say hello!!

Hey Fuby I got some vids of this and it looks awesome, I'll post them up for all too see kinda plug your server for ya ;)
Keep up the great work man!

#20 Fuby

Fuby

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:39

That sounds interesting!
Look forward to seeing them when you have the time.

#21 lone__wolf

lone__wolf

Posted 21 December 2009 - 17:18

Hello all,I played (tow) this weekend and it was awesome even though it made me realize how badly I suck at dogfighting the missions were fun & there's plenty of camel seats available.
Keep up the good work.

#22 Fuby

Fuby

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:00

Thanks for the positive feedback..:)

just for curiosity sake. if anyone lagging or warping..
check your ping online..

here is but one you can check at..
Edit: wrong address.. those with a ping utility
put this address to check: 72.232.179.74

My average is 20-40 ms

so I get a pretty good connection.

If your over 75.. that might be the cause..
although these days you should break 100ms easily.
if your in the 200-300ms range..expect the lag and warping..
this is just my opinion mind you..
Just wondering myself..

#23 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:46

That site you linked to ping's the ip you specify from that site, not your computer. So the ping will always be 20-40 for everyone that tries, I just had 20ms myself. In order to see the acutal ping people need to use the ping tool or similar. Here is mine, mind you however that I am currently downloading GTA4 on steam so the three values above 177 are probably because of that.
Attached File  Clipboard01.jpg   22.1KB   485 downloads

edit: tried it again with ping -n 10 and the download turned off:
Attached File  Clipboard02.jpg   29.91KB   485 downloads

As you can see the ping is very fluctuent for me regardless of me downloading something or not.

Attached File  trace_route.jpg   64.74KB   486 downloads

trace route is pretty long ;) I have a ping of 10-20 to my ISP and usually 20-40 in germany, the netherlands and the UK. To the East Coast I have something like 80-120.

A ping bar showing spikes and informations regarding packetloss ingame might be useful in the future.

#24 Fuby

Fuby

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:53

oops, I did have the wrong webaddress in there..sorry..

ok, those with PING program..traceroute etc..
check out the ping.. mine is still in the lower 30-40ms

and once you hit those 200ms points…
Im pretty sure any game will give a hickup now and then..

#25 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:06

Aye, but the fluctuation of my ping to that server seems weird. Does anyone have a different texas-based IP adress I can try to ping?

#26 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 27 December 2009 - 19:20

I get a nice steady 125 when I ping the ToW server, probably why (if there are not many in the server) I can play without lag, but why things go TU when it fills a little more.

#27 Fuby

Fuby

Posted 27 December 2009 - 19:35

All I know for sure..

Since 010 and xmas.. the server has been staying pretty busy!
Seems it tops the 16 player limit and very few are having troubles..
So..I assume more are connecting from the states..or..010 solved some problems.
Although some stutter and warp is still present at times.
Alot sit in our teamspeak now also.. use tidesofwar.net as the teamspeak address
and find the channel down the listing. no password is required.
Thanks to all that show up for a fight!

BTW, I added the DVIII into 3-4 missions… so search closely..;)

Note: the server still exits/crashes at times and I cannot locate the error.
never find a log of errors.. we do get the notifyserverproxy error now and then..
But that does not seem to take down the server.
It goes back online as soon as I notice it. (which may be hours sometimes)
overall.. it has run for a few days with no problems.

#28 CrazyGunner

CrazyGunner

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:43

Think you guys could add another server? :D Your the only server I get good ping with but your always full..

#29 Fuby

Fuby

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:39

Wow, that's a nice problem for a server to have huh..:)

We probably will not be putting another up soon…

But will probably be adding more slots in the near future…

Been adding 2 every 2nd week while we watch it..

Hope you have the chance to play.. it's been a pretty good time.

#30 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:10

Everything but level flight and warm engines is turned off.
Hi

What does Level Flight do?
Can I turn that off (if I don't want it) on my end while playing in your server?

I went online once as a test. I believe there was only 3 of us on it. So I am still not completely familiar with the procedures. I'm not a online flyer. I have only really raced online in F1C and rFactor, but 99% of that was with leagues.
I spent a tiny bit of time online with CFS 1 and 2 and early IL2. Simple dogfight missions only quick in, kill or be killed and quick out. Never did co-op's before.

What do I expect to find online in regards to opponents? Is everyone live or are there AI planes too?
How does one pick a plane for the missions? Will I be able to pick any plane I want to fly?
Do we follow a flight leader and take commands from them? Flares, handsignals?
Are players on Teamspeak?
Say for instance the ToW_Flurries mission; Will some players carry bombs and other fly escort for them?
How will I know when a mission is over?
Level and Quit? Is that where the Level Flight thing is used? What exactly do I do to end my flight? I have never done anything but landed, (or crashed) haha.

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to fully understand what role I play in this. How everything works and what I am suppose to be doing in missions.

Thanks and see you sometime soon :)

#31 Fuby

Fuby

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:25

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to fully understand what role I play in this. How everything works and what I am suppose to be doing in missions.

Thanks and see you sometime soon :)

let's see if I can answer all that…

First level flight is always on.. you hit Shift-A when you plane is level and it will stay level.
This helps when you have 5 minutes or so till your near defend or attack area. it can also be dangerous.
Don't want it on? Don't hit Shift-A. moving your stick takes you out of autolevel flight.

Know all your gauges,they are not set to auto. You must adjust mixture and radiator and watch your RPMS.

All games online at this moment are consider Coop games. But in actuality, they are team based on ToW at least.
All are human pilots. You will find AI in the flak guns on land and tanks or ships or trains but thats it.

You can only get into a game at the start of a round. Once started, you will have to wait till next round.
You would sit in spectate mode till the next round, which RoF has decided no one in spectate mode can see anything
but the ground unless your a pilot shot down. Then hit shift-f2 or cntl-f2 for spectate mode.

Personally, I hope they change this to the Servers choice, not theirs and allow spectate for new pilots.
People hate waiting 10-20 minutes till the next round stare'n at the ground.

Now if you join at the start, each mission has predetermined set of planes for you to choose from.
this is decided by the people who make the map/mission/scenario.
You left click your mouse (LMB) on the plane you wish to pilot, if no other name/player has it.
You read MISSION description to see if your defending or attacking or just dogfighting.
this will determine your loadout better. Allies are the only ones that have bombs at this time,
Which you may or may not need, and does add weight to your plane.
You then goto hangar and go into settings, to choose your skin and weapons loadout.
Once all this is done you press READY button and wait for the others to do the same.
You can also goto chat while in lobby and waiting.

You can join teamspeak to use comms with fellow pilots. Or just launch flares and stay in eye contact with other pilots.
Our ToW server uses teamspeak at address: tidesofwar.net with no password needed. More and more are using it.

There is a widget menu you can access while playing (right mouse button on screen anyplace), with BAN list (should be called Players List)
Here, you can see if both sides have players in the air or if a whole side is down.

Some maps-missions will end the game, this does not work correctly everytime. Every Pilot that crashes or lands or
out of action in one way or the other, must hit ESC then FINISH mission to ensure they are out of action.

Once everyone on a side is down, or a missions Primary objective is met, EVERYONE hits Esc Finish
and then the stats screen will appear and the next mission will load.

There was a time on ToW, if you land, you end up in prison, this has ended. Feel safe to land anyplace.
But, to make sure you don't crash on landng which will ruin your score and day, you have the option of level flight and esc finish.
Either way or any way, always hit ESC Finish when your out of the action and finished flying.

that's about it..I think.. enjoy your time online.. have some patience.. the battletime is worth it.

#32 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 31 December 2009 - 00:34

Thank you Fuby.

Excellent, answered everything I was unsure about.
Except;
Since landing is now available, is it a common practice used by those that survive?
Personally, I like to return to base and land.
Can I change sides or planes between missions?
In other words is it mission based, or more like career based?
How long can I remain on the ground before takeoff?
I may need a few seconds to setup once in 3d.

Some planes I have nearly no time in. Others I am pretty proficient in. Hopefully I can get a hold of one I know pretty well, haha. I can't hit squat with guns, but have a high bombing average. I understand navigations and engine management completely.

I will likely join TS when I do come on.
See you soon :)

#33 =MFC=Gunloon

=MFC=Gunloon

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:01

Excellent, answered everything I was unsure about.
Except;
Since landing is now available, is it a common practice used by those that survive?
Personally, I like to return to base and land.
Can I change sides or planes between missions?
In other words is it mission based, or more like career based?
How long can I remain on the ground before takeoff?
I may need a few seconds to setup once in 3d.

Some planes I have nearly no time in. Others I am pretty proficient in. Hopefully I can get a hold of one I know pretty well, haha. I can't hit squat with guns, but have a high bombing average. I understand navigations and engine management completely.

I will likely join TS when I do come on.
See you soon :)

Hiya, Butch-

My advice would be to let common sense guide you. If you have to fly more than a minute or so to RTB or get to the friendly side, do everyone a favor and just finish. These are real people spending their time to fly…most don't mind waiting a bit, but it's kinda rude to have them sitting there for a long time if you have to spend a long time while you fly straight and level back to the aerodrome.

You mention planes you have little time in…you might want to practice airwork in SP free fly missions. Again, common sense…why make people wait on you to practice something you can do any time in SP?

Yes, you can change planes and/or sides in the lobby after a mission loads., it's mission based. Get some practice in changing fuel load (25-50% is plenty for an online coop mission and keeps your plane lighter and more maneuverable), ammo load (check mission briefing to see if bombs are needed if you're on Entente, if not leave them behind for the same reason), picking a skin and so on. Some people are twitchy and get agitated if you take more than 2.5 seconds to do this, but the vast majority are only human and won't fuss.

Most of Fuby's missions have a 1 minute takeoff timer. Again, practice getting ready. I find this is plenty of time to get started, charge guns and even select a different control .map file if needed if i change planes at the last minute to help even the teams. I've learned to do the latter very fast, it really does become second nature quickly.

Any other fiddling you can do once airborne by turning on the level autopilot…check your map, adjust your mixture, etc.

Glad to hear you're good at bombing…be advised, Fuby has the devil in him and generally has a nice flak and/ or AA gunner protecting the targets in his missions. Good luck…hee hee

Even with the coop nature of the missions, ACM is still about the biggest component. You'll want to practice your aerial gunnery skills…there are some frighteningly good pilots haunting the ToW server, and while most are awfully nice fellows, they're by nature pretty bloodthirsty and always looking for a scrap.

I take it in bites…I'm slowly improving, but do find I have to take breaks to collect myself from time to time! As I said, these aces are almost all very nice fellows, they're helpful and friendly…but it seems some days all they have to do is see you and you're dead…lol Ain't their fault they're so good, but it can get a bit frustrating getting shot down over and over…if you're up for that kind of challenge it can be a great learning environment. Me, I'm not capable of that kind of nonstop intensity, so when I think my head's gonna explode, I take off for a bit. Your call, just for now, be ready for a pretty intense experience!

Side note- keep an eye out for the few team killers and griefers we've been seeing a lot of lately. If you run into these, don't let the creeps annoy you unduly. Many of us are posting requests to neoqb for effective server admin tools to ban these nut jobs, but for now there's not a lot that can be done about them. If one gets on your nerves, shooting at you to TK, holding up mission start or finish, or talking trash in chat, preserve your sanity and relax. You can click on the box next to their name in the pilot (ban) list, but it's not very effective and they can return even if kicked. I advise patience here…I'm sure the devs will get us some better ways of getting rid of the griefers before too long.

See you in the air and hopefully in TS!

[MF] Gunloon

#34 gottfried

gottfried
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:54

Well I have been having a lot of fun on this site, getting shot down.

AKA Kangaroo Jack

#35 Jughead_Jones

Jughead_Jones

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:13

Noticing on the "Blackforest Bridge" Mission throughout today myself and others on TOW T.S. are getting screen freeze with a ROF.exe texture error / out of memory error. Will try and capture a screenie in the future.

#36 Fuby

Fuby

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:16

Noticing on the "Blackforest Bridge" Mission throughout today myself and others on TOW T.S. are getting screen freeze with a ROF.exe texture error / out of memory error. Will try and capture a screenie in the future.

Im thinking this is just the day and time ya was in there… it's strange.. a mission can work 100 times and no one finds fault.then one day.. everyone is having faults. So, I just think its RoF on it's growing pains.. but thanks for the heads up..

Added a few more missions.. and will expand ToW some more in the week or so.. it's been staying pretty full! Thanks for enjoying the server guys!

#37 Jughead_Jones

Jughead_Jones

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:07

Im thinking this is just the day and time ya was in there… it's strange.. a mission can work 100 times and no one finds fault.then one day.. everyone is having faults. So, I just think its RoF on it's growing pains. Added a few more missions.. and will expand ToW some more in the week or so.. it's been staying pretty full! Thanks for enjoying the server guys!

CC That. I am loving the average mission times quick and pointfull! Alot of players do not have time for 40-60 min missions! Great objectives each go around. Dogfighting every bloody round gets so taxing and boring *nudges that crappy CosOc server (or whatever the hell it is called)! Just once in every mission cycle or so it would be awesome to get something a little longer and a little more higher up in the air. Recon or bomber escort would be sweet. But all the objective based missions so far are great fun thanks.

#38 Fuby

Fuby

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:47

Funny you should mention recon missions.. I actually added one earlier today on the server.. although not high altitude or air start.. still working on it though.. It's still based on takeoff and close fight.. Have plans on longer missions.. but like you said and most notice, when playing online, many do not have the time to go past a thirty minute mission.

#39 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:54

Fuby, THANK YOU for the fantastic server! This is the one I look for, and if it's down (rare), I play single player :)
I'm in Hawaii and ping quite well to your server, with relatively few bits of warping….tho I did see some today, which was an oddity.

The recon protection/destroy mission had some wierdness going on. Planes were jumping all over the place and we were all seeing it. Like the planes were on pogo sticks… We just finished mission and continued the cycle.

The only mission that is a bit frustrating every time, is the destroy 6 bridges mission. Usually there arent enough bombs to destroy all 6 bridges, and it's next to impossible to find the opponents, which makes for 20 minutes of flying around, wishing everyone would just click finish. This is the only really frustrating, "hate when it recycles thru" mission.

As for mission selection, most the missions are really fun. Especially the destroy/defend the train missions. Very enjoyable.

The server reset countdown could be a lot better, from 60 to 30. It's a lot of time to look at the scores…and the start mission countdown is also a bit long…when everyone is clicked in, we want to play! :) Usually someone clicks out, to wait for someone, then we have to wait again when they click in, and often, they click out <AGAIN>. 15 might be a lot better, since if someone needs more time, they just have to unclick to stop the counter.

thank you for a remarkably enjoyable place to fly!

Broadside uda Barn

#40 Fuby

Fuby

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:11

Fuby, THANK YOU for the fantastic server! This is the one I look for, and if it's down (rare), I play single player :)

Thanks for the kind words…

As for the 6 bridge mission (One bridge too many).. when it started.. one bomb could take out a bridge..or you could even strafe them… something has changed since 09 patch and bridges take a bit more.. I have asked repeatedly to the devs or anyone to tell me what changed and why lowering the bridge damage in editor has no effect.. I get no answers.. typical of RoF.. they are busy on next patch..;)
With all that said..3 pilots can take out the six bridges.. 2 bombs per bridge if hit right. sometimes 1 bomb on rail bridges. hang around bridges..you will find the badguys if they are playing the mission or even took time to read it..lol. Also remember, unless a message pops up saying a bridge is down.. its not.

As for the countdown at the end of round..it's actually auto to 1 minute it seems on ToW.. I have it set for 15 seconds.. after 15 the next map loads in the background while your looking at the scores..Once the map is loaded, the server takes you to the next screen of loading. To bad they forgot chat at end of rounds.. something to do while you wait.
As for the time at begining.. thats to allow slow loaders to get in before a round starts..

We all have to accept things in some areas and try to improve in others..
I really appreciate your comments and thoughts.. thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users