- - - - -

Wind Noise

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NakedSquirrel

NakedSquirrel
  • Tester

Posted 13 December 2009 - 23:25

I keep seeing these posts pop up complaining about the new wind noise, so I figure it deserves its own poll. Now you can quit griping and start voting!

I love the new wind sound personally. Open cockpits are noisy, windy places. The new wind noise really reflects that. I especially love how the wind becomes abnoxiously loud when you lean out from behind the wind shield. I feel like a dog sticking his head out of a car window, ears flopping in the wind.
Attached File  dog-window[1].jpg   11.11KB   572 downloads.jpg]

#2 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 14 December 2009 - 00:32

Hate it:

supersonic sound only:
http://hotfile.com/d...rsonic.wma.html">http://hotfile.com/d...855111/7495c05/ … c.wma.html

supersonic video:
http://hotfile.com/d...sonici.wmv.html">http://hotfile.com/d...854957/edb3787/ … i.wmv.html

#3 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:17

Sorry for that, Tvrdi, but i love it ;)
I can add that when i cut off the engine, the wind sound trough the metallic wires (don't know how to say in english :? ) is just perfect to me too…
Regards

#4 ICDP

ICDP

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:13

I find the new wind noise to be excellent. I can't understand those who complain that it sounds like a turbine in afterburner… eh hello, of course it does, that's what high speed wind sounds like.

The fact that many real videos have been posted with the wind sounding almost exactly the way it does in RoF is worth far more to me than all the unsubstatiated complaints I keep reading.

#5 TunaSalad

TunaSalad

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:40

100 mph wind right here. I think ROF got it pretty close…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsZyKYgBEG8

#6 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:00

I find the new wind noise to be excellent. I can't understand those who complain that it sounds like a turbine in afterburner… eh hello, of course it does, that's what high speed wind sounds like.

The fact that many real videos have been posted with the wind sounding almost exactly the way it does in RoF is worth far more to me than all the unsubstatiated complaints I keep reading.

then all planes should have loud supersonic sound like DRI….spec. planes without windshield…even the planes with windshield should have loud wind sound then because on ex. Camel has really small windshiled…nothing like a serious sound barrier… ;)

and if you ask me this is after all a game….louder MGs - more fun…

@Tunasalad - it is close but it should be more constant and less flyby like…also in real wind sound u can hear high pitch sound…nothing like bassy in game..

#7 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 14 December 2009 - 15:27

Tvrdi, do you have your Dr.I's seat position all the way back (Home and Insert keys)?
I noticed last night if I move the seat (cockpit view) all the way back using those keys (not the Zoom feature), it gets louder than it is when in a central position.
When in a central position, only moving back away from the screen (TrackIR 'Z' axis) will it get louder than normal. In the proper seat position, it is pleasent.

Also, I don't get very much change in the sound as long as I am flying level. It pretty much reamins constant. It is when I maneuver (or move my head around) that the sound begins to change. It should too, since I am disrupting it's flow over the plane. It shouldn't remain constant when moving around, either the view or the plane.

#8 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 14 December 2009 - 15:42

Tvrdi, do you have your Dr.I's seat position all the way back (Home and Insert keys)?
I noticed last night if I move the seat (cockpit view) all the way back using those keys (not the Zoom feature), it gets louder than it is when in a central position.
When in a central position, only moving back away from the screen (TrackIR 'Z' axis) will it get louder than normal. In the proper seat position, it is pleasent.

Also, I don't get very much change in the sound as long as I am flying level. It pretty much reamins constant. It is when I maneuver (or move my head around) that the sound begins to change. It should too, since I am disrupting it's flow over the plane. It shouldn't remain constant when moving around, either the view or the plane.

yes I like to have super wide (max zoom out) view when Im in the cockpit…regardless of trackir its good to have wider view in one single forward FOV…

#9 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 14 December 2009 - 16:02

Okay, that's why you are hearing it so loudly.
In a sense, you have your virtual head even further back in the slipstream.
When it is in a normal position, the guns act like a bit of a windscreen, I guess.
When your head is back all the way, you don't get that little extra protection from the wind.
The wind is flowing over the front of the plane and disrupted a bit by the guns. The futher back the more you are in the constant airflow, where the flow from the left and right sides blends together again. You have your virtual head right in the area.

Just move it up a little and the sound will reduce and is a smoother sounding too.
On planes that do have a windscreen, the area where the airflow begins to rejoin will be futher back, that's why it wouldn't be a loud all the back as it is in the Dr.I.

Anyway, this is your problem. Hopefully this will help you find the sweet spot between seat position and turbulent airflow sound ;)

#10 ICDP

ICDP

Posted 14 December 2009 - 18:03

100 mph wind right here. I think ROF got it pretty close…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsZyKYgBEG8

Thanks for the link TunaSalad. This is exactly how wind sounds when I have done skydiving and frankly sticking your head into the slipstream in RoF sounds almost exactly like this.

#11 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 14 December 2009 - 19:32

I just tried it a while with my seat moved all the way back (Home key) and I can hear what you say sounds like a jet. It mainly does it when changing airspeeds, fo me.
I then moved forwards and that sound of jet fades away some, blending in with the other sounds.
Is that what you are experiencing?

I think it sounds good, when I have my seat moved forward some (Insert key). Moved all the way back and I wouldn't be too crazy about for long either.

Moving forwards (Insert key) takes all wind noise (or a very big portion of it) away. That seems odd too, when sitting there looking over the guns, and not hearing any wind.

Some issues here, I guess. But I do find a nice spot around the middle (or slightly back from center) range of the Home/Insert keys. When it is there, it sounds great, imo.

Edit reason;
I had Home and Insert keys backwards. I corrected it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users