Photo
- - - - -

A possible FPS saving implementation?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WWIEAF-Puff

WWIEAF-Puff

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:15

Having just been flying around and watching my FPS as I do it, I noticed that as soon as I look at other aircraft I lose at least 10-15fps { there were four other camels with me } and that got me thinking. It must be the processor now that is my bottleneck and what if I had an option to tone down the calculations done on the other AI aircraft?
A sort of low, medium and high calculation set { if you wish } to allow for a tailoring of the game to give a good framerate in larger furballs etc, where I'm sure, the calulations are being done on a complex level, when it is possible that they don't need to be, without detracting from the gameplay etc.
Open for disscusion by folks who have more expertise than myself at these sort of things? How difficult would it be for Neoqb to put this into the game I wonder?

#2 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 13 December 2009 - 17:55

If other aircraft are causing a big fps hit, set your textures to medium or low.

#3 Briggstone

Briggstone

Posted 13 December 2009 - 21:04

It´s not that easy. Changing settings does not solve the FPS problem.

#4 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 13 December 2009 - 21:42

Hi

What graphics card do you have?
I imagine if your frame rates are dropping when you look at planes, then your gpu is causing it.
I guess the cpu is still doing the calculations for the AI plane(s) whether you are looking at it not. But I don't really know how the physics is done. I don't know if they get more advanced the closer you are. Surely they don't switch to a more advanced mode by simply looking at them, physics I mean, NOT visual detail.
I do know the image quality of the planes improves and you get a highly detailed model when close to it. If you watch one as you close in, or it pulls away, you can see the detail increase/decrease.
Anyway, if what you describe was happening to me, I would look at graphics card settings first.

#5 WWIEAF-Puff

WWIEAF-Puff

Posted 13 December 2009 - 22:11

Card is a 260 GTx overclocked with 1789 Mb DDR3 onboard memory, all sliders at max and only using 44% memory..so I don't think its the card, but I feel its down to cpu cycles, Im only running a duo core 6600 overclocked to 3.1 ghz..and as far as I can see the cpu is starting to struggle with calculations when looking directly at AI aircraft. I get a steady 60fps at all other times and this drops to 51 when looking at aircraft far away, and then down to 38 when looking at them close up. It stays at 60 fps if I look at my own aircraft in external view so that would rule out texture problems. I still think that RoF needs to be optimised better….:)

#6 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 13 December 2009 - 22:52

You might be right.
Like I said, I was only guessing.
I haven't noticed it, but I have only had fraps running maybe 3 times the entire time I have had the game. And those times I alt/tab'ed the game to start it to check something.
I can take a look later this evening when I play.
I'm curious now, hehe.

The only time I have ever noticed any slow down was over tanks. Since the patch that's good now too at 33fps (I started fraps to check over tanks last night as a matter of fact).
Visually, I haven't ever noticed a slow down around AI planes. Fraps will tell me the truth though :lol:

#7 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:52

Yes. I see on fraps it drops a few. I don't lose enough to 'see' it slow down. From 49 to 42 in formation when I look over at the planes beside me. When I look forward again (even though I can see my flight leader) they increase again.

#8 Briggstone

Briggstone

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:19

Im only running a duo core 6600 overclocked to 3.1 ghz..[..] I still think that RoF needs to be optimised better….:)

You are right! I have the same opinion. RoF should also run playable on a duo core. And smooth with low graphic settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users