A dedicated server on a remote machine for dummies

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 12 December 2009 - 20:19

This is a work in progress and subject to change

Latest edit 22/03/2010 for version 1.11

I Can't believe I missed this all those weeks ago when I started trying to get the dserver working, but Topgun posted a PDF of basic tips ages ago. Most of the things I either discovered myself or was pointed towards by other server admins, but for completeness the PDF should be in this thread too.
Find it here http://riseofflight.com/Forum/download/file.php?id=2437

Since there seems to be a number of different threads on this I thought I'd pull what information I have gathered into this one. Now some of these steps might or might not have helped in getting the Hussars server running again after 1.09 patch, but these are all the things I have done.

I really had no idea how to do this, but the Devs and numerous RoF forum posters have been very helpful as has our own Hussar server guru, so here it is.

—-server setup for a dummy (me in this case)—

1. Get in touch with the Devs to explain you need to set up a dedicated RoF server and you would like a specific game key for that server.

2. Install RoF onto your remote box and update it to the current version. Register that remote install (with a different email address to the one you registered RoF on your local system) and enter the DServer game key to that account in the RoF forums.

3. With your local install of RoF log into the master server using the dedicated server username and password and set up a pilot profile for the dedicated server. Log out. NOTE 1

4. In RoF launcher/setting/network set both Network Traffic Limit values to Values you are sure you dedicated server box's internet connection can handle AND even if there are correct values for your server IP and port numbers tick the checkbox for "type manually" and enter them again. Leave this box checked. Note 5

5. On the remote box you need to edit the "Dedicated_server.sds" found in the RoF\data folder to contain your server username and password and alter the settings you want to run the server with such as server name, pilot aids and mission rotation. Add "//" to (or delete) the line that shows file="Cooperative\CustomCoopMission".

Point 6 may not be necessary, but it doesn't break things either
6. Add two lines into the file "netbuild.cfg" already there, "server_ip = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" and "client_IP = XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX" , where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of your dedicated server remote box. NOTE 2

7. Boot the server on your remote box and see what happens. There should be no errors after the server loads the mission and you get the "mission loaded successfully" message. Note 3 Your server should now be running the stock missions set that comes from Neoqb. See point 12 if this step brings up an error something like "There is a new version of Dserver available"

8. For constant 10017 file transfer errors, player warping and constant 10009 errors for those who do manage to connect, an uninstall, manual removal of any leftover RoF files, and a re-install might help for servers that have undergone the 1.08 to 1.09 patching phase. [Note 4]

9. To add custom missions you can add the line…

file="Cooperative\<yourmission>"

…to your dedicated_server.cfg without using the "<" or ">" and where "yourmission" is EXACTLY the same as whatever the .mission file is called. Then move all files related to that custom mission into "RoF\data\multiplayer\cooperative folder and restart the server".

10. The Dserver preferentially uses the ".mission" file to transfer the mission data to the clients, so if you remove only the ".mission" file related to the custom mission from the cooperative folder, the Dserver will use the ".msnbin" file to transfer the mission data to the clients (and should result in a shorter load time for the client). After a patch cycle you will need to update the ".msnbin" files. To do this you can use the ".mission" files you moved earlier and recompile them using the updated Mission Editor" to create the new versions of the ".msnbin" files you will need in the Cooperative folder. Note 6

11. Currently the Dserver will hang after it has run through it's mission list, as a work around a new item has been added to the .SDS file, "Shutdownloads = -1". If you change the "-1" to a number equal to the number of missions in your server rotation, this command will terminate the dserver when Shutdownloads becomes TRUE. When used in conjunction with a batchfile this means your server will be restarted automatically when it finished its mission cycle. Note 7

12. If you get an error on Dserver.exe launch that "There is a new version of Dserver available" you will need to run the restore file located in "RoF\bin_game\release\restore" on your remote box to sort out any file conflicts that may be preventing the dserver launch. Note 8

13. Inverted is currently developing "ROFCON" remote control for Dserver. Currently in beta I believe, but it looks to be a pretty powerful tool considering the work sometimes required to keep a dserver running, and goes some way to providing server admins with another way to control their servers. Find it in this thread http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=8156&start=0

——————————————————-

Note 1- I had to PM Lefty at this point as I could still not see the Hussar server on the MP list. He did something his end and the server appeared in the list but nobody could connect to it. If you see this error "!!!ERROR INET THREAD:MIS_REQUEST_FAILED:MIST_SERVERREGISTER ON PROXY UNABLE TO CHECK CLIENT PROFILE BAN" something is wrong with the DServer profile as seen by the master server. Check again that you have a pilot profile setup for your DServer.exe identity.

Note 2- A post by Qwerty from some time ago http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1517&start=0 advises to create a file in the data folder called "net.cfg" with the server_ip and client_ip lines, but when I tried this the DServer.exe gave an error on creation "UNABLE TO CONNECT TO SERVER". Maybe the patch has renamed the files, but editing the "netbuild.cfg" file seemed to work.

Note 3- Still getting 10019 errors on map change on the Hussars server.

Note 4- Full reinstall and patching to current version rids the 10017 errors, but it remains to be seen if the 10019 errors are still there.

Note 5- I know this looks weird but I just reversed this step and reproduced the effect of being unable to connect to the server though it was apparently running and visible in the MP server list and I had previously connected to the same mission.

Note 6- The .mission files should be kept somewhere safe (and not simply deleted) because an .msnbin file from one version of the game may be unreadable by a subsequent versions of the mission editor, and without the .mission file you will not be able to create another .msnbin file without starting from scratch in the mission editor. There is an option under "tools" in the ME to recompile all .msnbin files in a specified directory to the current version of RoF.

Note 7- See this thread for an example batch file http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=7783&start=0

Note 8- Thanks to Viks for the tip in this thread http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=8180

#2 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 17 December 2009 - 13:11

Still working on this, The server runs fine with no discernable lag even when full, but only using the stock missions.

I have tried various iterations with Chill31's missions but nothing seems to work.

Here is what I have tried so far, any obvious cock-ups on my part please tell me…

Extract Chill4.ace onto desktop creating a folder called "Chill". Move the files from there to rof\data\multiplayer\cooperative. Amend the .sds to look for these missions, and start server. Players get "10017 file transfer error".

Then I tried to extract the Chill4.ace file directly to RoF\data\multiplayer\cooperative. I then edited the lines in .sds to "multiplayer\cooperative\chill\21 April 1918". This time I get "10028 unable to save file to disk", at this point I created a "Chill" folder locally and tried again but only received two files one with .list and the other with .mission identifier.

OK I though, now I am getting somewhere, so I moved the mission files out if the data\MP\coop\Chill folder up a level to data\mp\coop and put the .sds lines back to what they were, but also get back the file transfer errors.

This looks an easy thing to do, copy some files and edit a .sds file, but I must be doing something wrong.

Do you know what it is?

#3 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 22 December 2009 - 20:30

Finally got a single custom mission to work.

#4 J5_Rumey

J5_Rumey

Posted 23 December 2009 - 23:26

Good info thanks Miggins!

#5 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 02 January 2010 - 21:03

Did you follow this Boman, did it work or are there still gaps in it?

#6 Gosling

Gosling

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:55

Useful post Miggins - Thanks

We have a server up and running 24/7

I am now trying to include it in an auto start up uncase our server box gets restarted for maintenance, so please see my Question here

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=6832

Basically, how do I pass the .sds file to the DServer.exe?

Thanks for amy hep you can give.

Gos

#7 KrisKringle

KrisKringle

Posted 23 January 2010 - 21:21

Define 'server remote box'

#8 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 26 January 2010 - 21:25

"Remote box" - A machine located in a server farm somewhere, either rented or owned, that you can install required software to run whatever game you want as opposed to a machine on your desk next to you.

#9 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 26 January 2010 - 21:28

I am now trying to include it in an auto start up uncase our server box gets restarted for maintenance, so please see my Question here

As yet there is no way I am aware of to set up something like what you describe, it's one of the things we have asked the devs to provide in an update at some point.

#10 Gosling

Gosling

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:49

Thanks Miggins
I am hearing that from other sources too.

Gos

#11 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 27 February 2010 - 20:41

just bumping this up the page a little

#12 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:37

Just added the tip that SAS posted into the ToW thread about forcing the Dserver.exe to use the .msbin files (rather than the .mission files) for transfer of mission data to the server clients.

#13 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:59

Added Viks batchfile tip.

#14 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 16 March 2010 - 23:21

Updated to 16/03/2010.

Managed to get Hussars back running with the help of Viks, cheers mate.

#15 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 21 March 2010 - 00:29

Thanks Miggins, for the time you put into this. Hussars may be down, but hopefully people will find some use in your work.

It's a bloody disgrace neoqb didn't take the effort to get a comprehensive dserver FAQ and troubleshooter out themselves, but there you go.

#16 basset

basset

Posted 21 March 2010 - 16:51

TY for the time put into this post - trying to set up dedicated server now and this guide has veen very very helpful.

Waiting for server key from neoqube.

#17 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 21 March 2010 - 17:51

Somebody should get a free plane :)

#18 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 22 March 2010 - 00:03

Added link to Inverted's ROFCON thread.

#19 SC/JG_Oesau

SC/JG_Oesau

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:47

Miggins - you ok if I add this to the wiki?

#20 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 22 March 2010 - 19:09

Yeah, sure, the more people who see it the better.

I asked Lefty to go through it a while back to make sure I had not put in something that would break an install, and since he has not posted about anything obviously incorrect in the list, I assume it's all OK (If not actually all required like point 6).

#21 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 22 March 2010 - 19:11

Okay this is stickyed. Good work Miggins old chap!

#22 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 22 March 2010 - 19:17

You should have released this posthumously and really become famous :D

#23 FiveDigits

FiveDigits

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:41

[…] 1. Get in touch with the Devs to explain you need to set up a dedicated RoF server and you would like a specific game key for that server. […]

What is the best/quickest way to do that? What information do they need (an e-mail I suppose)?

#24 V138BS_Billy

V138BS_Billy

Posted 05 May 2010 - 20:34

Miggins,

I am having trouble getting the "Dserver.exe" to be seen on the ingame server list.

Can you help out here?

It would be much appreciated.

#25 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 09 May 2010 - 21:29

Just got back from holiday so you guys might have already sorted these out.

@fivedigits - send a PM to Lefty or Topgun and explain your need for a dserver specific key, you will need another email address you can register on the RoF forums with and that you can assign the dserver gamekey.

@Billy - Have you managed to log onto the game using the dserver username and set up a pilot profile? I understand you only need to get to the bit where you pick a country flag for the dserver "pilot" profile, but I had to get Lefty to do something at his end to the name server to make the hussar server show up in the list. Alternatively it's not simply a mods ON/OFF problem is it? Make sure the RoF launcher on the remote box has the correct setting under the "game settings" tab.

#26 pit.lane

pit.lane

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:04

Hey Miggs,
could you please give me the username of "Lefty" (I was unable to find him in the Members list)?

Thanks a lot,
Holger

#27 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:13

Pit.lane,

Lefty is no longer the contact. Try Han

Cheers

#28 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:14

Hi Miggins, I hope you don't mind that I have put your dummy guide on the Rise of Flight wiki?

http://wiki.riseoffl...edicated_server">http://wiki.riseofflight.com/index.php? … ted_server

#29 pit.lane

pit.lane

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:16

Thank you, squid!

#30 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 10 May 2010 - 19:42

No probs Vanderstock.

Should still be useful for setting up DF servers, hopefully we will see more appearing now.

#31 Cobraj

Cobraj

Posted 24 August 2012 - 14:47

Anyone know if Han is out or not? I requested a key for a server machine and got no response. Only been a couple of days but I wanted to have this server operational this weekend.

Is the directions at the top of this post what everyone else is doing?

Thx S!

#32 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 24 August 2012 - 15:10

You can use any demo account. Just make sure it as been activated by using it in the normal game once.

#33 Cobraj

Cobraj

Posted 24 August 2012 - 16:18

Thank you Vader.

So register it with any username and password? Then launch the game and try to login with it? I have demo Free Flight edition already installed. I will have to reinstall it I guess because I have already made changes as per the Wiki.

#34 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 24 August 2012 - 16:20

No need to re-install. The changes you made are for the dserver, not for the (client) game.

#35 Cobraj

Cobraj

Posted 24 August 2012 - 16:31

Thank you I will try this when I get home. I'm using a home server for this and also wanted to use RoF Online and RoF Stats found in the 3rd Party mods section of this forum. Has anyone had these work for them on a home server setup?

I was considering trying to run this game on my webhosting server. Do you know if this game will operate in Apache or do I need Wine to run it in that environment?

#36 Cobraj

Cobraj

Posted 24 August 2012 - 17:38

Vander not Vader, sorry

#37 Cobraj

Cobraj

Posted 25 August 2012 - 21:19

Server is all setup now thank you. I only have the stock mission. When adding missions to Dogfight folder do I need a .mission file? I tried adding a mission that had the binary files and then added the lines to the dogfights config file but I had errors and would not load.

If you would, since you are the guru of mission building in your squad, could you post an example of the lines you add. Also maybe a mission we could use on our server until we get some of our own built? We are considering making this a 1917 year server. You can see us in the list now as No. 42 Squadron.

Thanks for all of your time it is very much appreciated.

#38 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 27 August 2012 - 14:43

Dserver will prefferentially send out the .mission file to connecting clients if it's there in the missions folder, it takes a little longer to send than the .msnbin file, but it works both ways.

If you remove the .mission file you might have to recompile the .msnbin file after an update.

#39 Satchenko

Satchenko

Posted 09 March 2014 - 23:08

Well I have created my own coop dedicated server succefully but i have a new problem now… The misión loads, the pilots can connect with de server but the fly doesn´t start never… I can see that dserver load the pilot with i have register the demo versión… it is posible to make this "pilot" dissapear or something? I hope you understand me… my english is very poor… sorry.

#40 magicbus

magicbus

Posted 04 May 2015 - 15:01

i followed the instructions but i cannot start my server: 1. The mission, Dogfight and cooperative folders are empty. No missions files in there. 2. when i launch the Dserver.exe i'm not able to do nothing and the application creates a .log file that is empty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users