Photo
- - - - -

Joystick - Throttle conflict/confusion in RoF = I need some help please...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 US103_Doolittle

US103_Doolittle
  • LocationORD

Posted 01 March 2019 - 21:06

I spent time about 7-1/2 hours yesterday and most of this morning on this and all I wound up with was a headache (for real) and no desired result in RoF

TLDR version: Joystick is VKB Gladiator Mk.II (not Pro)which was ‘seen/recognized’ by RoF as Joystick 0 initially

I added an X52 Throttle + the driver & programming software on Wednesday and now RoF 'sees/recognizes' the X52 as Joystick 0 and the Gladiator as Joystick 1 –

How do I tell RoF RESPONSES that ROLL, PITCH & YAW are joystick 1?

LONG VERSION:

*Initially RoF recognized the VKB Gladiator Mk. II (not Pro) Joystick as Joystick 0

GREAT! No problem…

On Wednesday I added a Saitek X52 Throttle (just the X52 Throttle, new) 

Now there’s a problem:

RoF ‘sees/reecognizes’ the X52 as Joystick 0 and the Gladiator as Joystick 1

*The Gladiator Mk. II’s software (rather just two configuration programs, one simple, the other not so simple) that allow programming to the stick's on-board memory - no software runs in the background

*The X52 has software for programming AND it runs in the background.

I may be able to shut that off, don’t know yet – I haven’t gotten that far…

I swapped out joysticks with a new Logitech Extreme 3D Pro – and the problem of Joystick 0 being the X52 and the 3D Pro being Joystick 1 still exists.

I unplugged and replugged; Gladiator first, X52 second – no change in RoF

I unplugged both and rebooted, them plugged both back in - no change in RoF

I switch USB ports – no change in RoF

I edited the RoF *.map files and *.response files  – no change in RoF

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: p7-1254
BIOS: Ver: HOL_718.ROM vHOL7.18
Processor: AMD A6-3620 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 7666MB RAM
Page File: 2419MB used, 17245MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

So, my questions & where I need help:

1) Why does RoF now 'see/recognize' the X52 as Joystick 0 and the Gladiator as Joystick 1?

2) Is there a solution to the problem that will allow me to run both the X52 & the Mk. II together?

3) How do I tell RoF RESPONSES that ROLL, PITCH & YAW are on Joystick 1?

4) What am I not doing correctly?

5) Is there a solution? {other than - get a new PC and go with IL2/FC, etc.}

#2 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 01 March 2019 - 22:07

The numbering comes from windows udb device ids which sometimes get renumbered when you add or remove some device. Maybe some other cases.

The easisest form of reassignment is doing a few text replacements on the config file.

The following post may or may not help: https://riseofflight...rs-mess-relief/

#3 US103_Doolittle

US103_Doolittle
  • LocationORD

Posted 01 March 2019 - 23:48

Thank you Bidu, I'll see what I can do with that.

S!

#4 Czech693

Czech693
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:15

Some basic things to check:  In RoF what joystick number is currently assigned to your pitch and roll?  What joystick number is assigned to your throttle?

I don't see in your post anything about the Windows Gamer Controller assignments.  If you haven't checked these assignments, open your windows Start menu and type game controllers in the search field and you should see Set Up USB Game Controllers.  Select this and it should open the Windows Game Controllers program.  It will show your two controllers.  Top one is Joystick 0 (not 1).  Below that controllers are numbered Joystick 1, 2, etc.

In what order are they listed in Windows Game Controller?  If you have pitch/roll assigned to Joystick 0 in RoF, then you want your joystick to be the first controller in the Windows list.  If it's Joystick 1 it doesn't match what you have in RoF.  Then unplug both controllers and plug them back in, joystick first if it's Joystick 0 in RoF (I think subsequent controllers plugged in appear below the previous one and are assigned a number in that order, but I can't remember off hand).

If that doesn't work then you can go into Windows Settings and delete the controllers using Remove Device, then re-plug them in.  Try not to unplug controllers in the future as Windows 10 can still mess them up (it's not as bad as when Windows 10 first came out).

#5 US103_Doolittle

US103_Doolittle
  • LocationORD

Posted 02 March 2019 - 20:51

Some basic things to check:  In RoF what joystick number is currently assigned to your pitch and roll?  What joystick number is assigned to your throttle?

Originally, Joystick 0 for all

I don't see in your post anything about the Windows Gamer Controller assignments.  If you haven't checked these assignments, open your windows Start menu and type game controllers in the search field and you should see Set Up USB Game Controllers.  Select this and it should open the Windows Game Controllers program.  It will show your two controllers.  Top one is Joystick 0 (not 1).  Below that controllers are numbered Joystick 1, 2, etc.

The Mk.II joystick was plugged in/installed first -
The X52 installed second  

In what order are they listed in Windows Game Controller? 

X52 is at the top of the list  
Mk.II is second on the list  
DX ID for X52 is 0x0, for Mk.II it's 0x1  

If you have pitch/roll assigned to Joystick 0 in RoF, then you want your joystick to be the first controller in the Windows list.  If it's Joystick 1 it doesn't match what you have in RoF.  Then unplug both controllers and plug them back in, joystick first if it's Joystick 0 in RoF (I think subsequent controllers plugged in appear below the previous one and are assigned a number in that order, but I can't remember off hand).

Tried that = it didn't work  

If that doesn't work then you can go into Windows Settings and delete the controllers using Remove Device, then re-plug them in.  Try not to unplug controllers in the future as Windows 10 can still mess them up (it's not as bad as when Windows 10 first came out).  

Tried that = it didn't work  
Uninstalled both in the DEVICE MANAGER, rebooted and then plugged both in: the Mk.II first and the X52 second = that didn't work  

Rinse and repeat, but plugged in X52 first and them Mk,II = that didn't work   

RoF still recognizes the Mk.II as Joystick 1 and the X52 as Joystick 0   

Moving right along...

The numbering comes from windows udb device ids which sometimes get renumbered when you add or remove some device. Maybe some other cases.

The easisest form of reassignment is doing a few text replacements on the config file.

The following post may or may not help: https://riseofflight...rs-mess-relief/

HUZZAH!

I read your other post - it helped!!!

I copied an actions file to my desktop and edited that using Notepad++ 

Replacing joy 0 in ROLL, PITCH & YAW with joy 1 did the trick!

I renamed the file and copied it back to the input folder  

If RoF doesn't recognize the X52's ROTARY dials, SLIDERS or HAT positions - I can live with that for now.

***I 'unwittingly' buggered the vanilla default files 'accidentally' overwriting with saves while learning the use of the F10 feature...

If the OEM views can be restored by deleting the F10 line in the saved files = ok, but I haven't tried that just yet / So, if someone can spare a copy of unadulterated default files I'd be grateful - 

Thanks for you help gentlemen!

#6 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 03 March 2019 - 12:50

Glad it helped!

Regarding the sliders etc., and from my experience, things that are axis-like in behavior you should be able to assign to axis-like ROF controls, but sometimes they get recognized differently. When I try to assign, say, a throttle quadrant lever to my ROF throttle control, I may get "Joystick-1 Button 6" for instance, but by retrying and moving it back and forth a few times during the detection process eventually I get "Joystick-1 X". See if that works for you, at least for some of those inputs (maybe the slider is more likely?)

#7 US103_Doolittle

US103_Doolittle
  • LocationORD

Posted 04 March 2019 - 02:45

I'm happy to have a stand alone throttle 

Thanks again for the help all!

#8 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 04 March 2019 - 08:28

You may nevertheless want to read about the X52 here: https://riseofflight...k-x52-settings/

The Slider on the x52 throttle is the perfect head zoom location. Try it and I bet your love it there. By the way my mixture is on the top throttle wheel and Rad is on the side throttle wheel. 

#9 US103_Doolittle

US103_Doolittle
  • LocationORD

Posted 04 March 2019 - 19:22

You may nevertheless want to read about the X52 here: https://riseofflight...k-x52-settings/

Will do.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users