Photo
- - - - -

Bloody April IX Campaign - 2019

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Bloody April IX - The Last Hurrah! (51 member(s) have cast votes)

I will participate in this event

1. Yes (49 votes [96.08%])

Percentage of vote: 96.08%

2. No (2 votes [3.92%])

Percentage of vote: 3.92%

Preferred Format - click all that are interesting (does not mean you commit to fly every hour)

1. Limited Saturdays - 8 hour single mission with dawn mission 1st week, midday 2nd week, dusk mission 3rd week. (6 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

2. Open Saturdays - 16 hour single mission with dawn, daylight, dusk periods. (11 votes [14.47%])

Percentage of vote: 14.47%

3. Open Fridays and Saturdays - 16 hours each day with dawn period Friday and dusk on Saturday with midday periods in both. (10 votes [13.16%])

Percentage of vote: 13.16%

4. Extended Saturdays - 3 two-hour missions each Saturday; a dawn, midday, dusk with a few hours break in between each. (14 votes [18.42%])

Percentage of vote: 18.42%

5. Traditional Saturdays - a single two-hour mission each Saturday with a dawn, midday, dusk period. (35 votes [46.05%])

Percentage of vote: 46.05%

Preferred 1st Mission Start Time (click all that work for you)

1. 1400 UTC/GMT (9 votes [12.86%])

Percentage of vote: 12.86%

2. 1700 UTC/GMT (29 votes [41.43%])

Percentage of vote: 41.43%

3. 2000 UTC/GMT (32 votes [45.71%])

Percentage of vote: 45.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 J5_Baeumer

J5_Baeumer

Posted 26 February 2019 - 01:34

Update Effective 5/5/19
Participant campaign ribbon and individual awards and recognition posted.  Special thanks to all the pilots of RoF and FC WWI flight sim community who supported and participated in this years event and made it successful once again!  Awards may be viewed on the official event forum by clicking here

Update Effective 4/25/19
This Saturday from 1700 UTC - 2300 UTC is the last mission in this year's
RoF Bloody April Campaign.

Avoid disappointment or frustration ....help your team plan for victory!

1. Be sure to log in to the Jasta 5 Bloody April campaign event forum

http://www.jasta5.or...0b187bb7e3ffa18

2. Navigate to your team's operations area (it should appear WHEN LOGGED IN
at the bottom of the page linked above)

3. Use the link on the weekly sign up thread to indicate the latest time
you can fly to before listing the earliest time you can fly during the six
hour mission.

Only pilots who have reserved a spot on the roster to fly EACH WEEK can be
confident of a spot.

There is plenty of opportunity for everyone to fly during the six hour mission, just not at the same
time....reserve your space today!

Update Effective 3/31/19

Updated rules were uploaded to the forum with highlights in red. Some things worthy of note here found in the rules:

One six (6) hour mission each week starting at 1700 GMT/UTC ending 2300 GMT/UTC.

In order to be victorious, each side must manage the number of pilots flying to insure coverage throughout the entire mission. To support Commanders in accomplishing this and to reflect the historical fact that Entente air resources outnumbered Central, there are asymmetrical limits on pilot slots. Entente pilot slots will outnumber the Central pilot supply by approximately 3:2. The event organizers reserve the right to alter these limits and ratios in order to facilitate a fair event that follows as closely as possible, the historical realities.

To be victorious, a side will need to schedule pilots to fly throughout the entire mission; not just the 1700 GMT/UTC start time. If you can fly as late as 2300 GMT/UTC but your schedule or preference is not to fly the entire 6 hours, no problem! Report on the weekly pilot schedule in your sides event operations forum that you are available for a later start time until 2300 GMT/UTC. If you wanted to fly only two hours, you would report a start time of 2100 UTC with a end time of 2300 UTC.

Death penalty = reduced from 2 hours to 30 minutes with backseat gunnery allowed during the penalty period. Based on feedback from community partners.

Update Effective 3/30/19

Teams are assigned. Log in to see your team assignment. You will see Blue/Central or Red/Entente operations depending on your side. You must have a forum account to access. See link below to login or register. Rules will be posted later Saturday but no later than Sunday.

Update Effective 3/12/19

Event forum and pilot check-in is active. You must have a forum account to access.

If you can't remember log in use the forgot password function which will send you a access link to your email.

http://www.jasta5.or...b91d392d65a3ea5

Update Effective 3/9/19

Thank you for those of you who have participated in the poll and are planning on flying. We know from past experience there will be more participating than have responded here and that is exciting! A few updates are below and more information will be flowing in the coming few weeks.

Schedule:
March 30th - Bloody April Server Test
April 1 - April 5 - Bloody April Open Server Practice Missions (and Monday - Friday the following weeks)
April 6 - Hostilities begin (1700-2300 GMT/UTC)
April 13 - Hostilities continue (1700-2300 GMT/UTC)
April 20 - Easter Truce - no missions
April 27 - Hostilities conclude (1700-2300 GMT/UTC)
April 28 - Results and Awards

Rules and Scoring:
We will be updating the last years rule set as appropriate to explain this years format along with the new scoring system and other details. Released as soon as possible prior to the event.

Event Forum:
The Jasta 5 event forum is currently available Visit it here. Importa t updates posted there to participants. You must log in or create an account to view and post.

Plane Set:
Plane set scout matchup will feature Nieuport 11s/17s & Spad 150/180s against Alb D.IIs/D.IIIs.

Team Assignments:
We anticipate using the same teams that were used in Black September which seemed balanced and fair. A final determination will be made on "sides" and communicated out in the coming weeks.

Event Announcement (Feb 26, 2019):
The Last Hurrah - A Proposal To The Community for Bloody April IX,

Jasta 5 has been proud to put on the Bloody April event in Rise of Flight for the last eight years. Our event has changed with the community as we have continually tried to innovate through mission and campaign design to sustain interest in a simulation platform that is now without question out of date. We are absolutely going to have Bloody April IX on Rise of Flight in 2019, but it is highly possible that this will be the last one Jasta 5 hosts in Rise of Flight. While we (and this thread) is not intending to debate pros and cons of ROF over Flying Circus or to tell you to support 1C Studios by purchasing FC, Jasta 5 is actively transitioning into Flying Circus. We're already planning to move Black September over this fall, if possible, following the anticipated release of the Arras map in FC.

The pilots of Jasta 5 would like to invite everyone who has flown Rise of Flight and Bloody April to join us in giving Rise of Flight a proper send off as a thanks for years of entertainment and comradery with friends around the world which many of us enjoyed for nearly a decade. A "last hurrah" if you will that people would be willing to come back for... just one last time...until our campaigns migrate over to Flying Circus. At the same time, we would invite those virtual pilots, new to the WWI air combat community and FC, to join the larger WWI air combat community in this campaign. In the end, we are all part of a larger community of WWI flight sim enthusiasts (and RoF is dirt cheap for anyone needing to purchase it in order to join in this world wide campaign that has regularly drawn 100 pilot registrations each year.

So what about this years event......

Core Components of the Proposal - taking into account a variety of player requests and feedback over many years.

- Flight operations on the three weekends in April not including Easter (3rd) weekend.

- Set sides, no switching, similar to early Bloody April Campaigns.
- No Player Mods Required (we will NOT use the Arras map, although we may play in "mods on" mode for the benefits of some server side tweaks)
- The backdrop will be the 2nd Battle of the Asine near Reims. This is a throwback to Bloody April V. Plane set scout matchup will feature Nieuport 11s/17s & Spad 150/180s against Alb D.IIs/D.IIIs.
- Unequal missions and objectives. This will not be a mirrored campaign. Central and Entente forces are attempting at achieve different things. Play will focus with the Entente being required to take more offensive actions over Central territory. Central forces and plane inventories will be smaller overall, which is also a throwback to earlier Bloody Aprils.
- Traditional "scoring" by subtitle is replaced with a new totally log based system that keeps track of all types of missions completed (yes even things like photo recons and artillery spotting), takes into account the historical rate of infantry casualties on both sides, as well as the impact of the missions pilots complete, as well as the total number of hours flown, pilots lost/captured, etc. and in the end will be woven together into a story that outlines the detailed statistics and events that occur. Both sides will in essence be competing against the historical numbers of the actual campaign instead of against each other for points.
- Open server campaign schedule instead of a few hour window (jump in when you can, do what you can, get out, and come back). Dawn, Daytime and Dusk missions. Dawn and dusk missions are different than daytime operations and limited in number.
- Harsher death penalties are back. 1 hour death enforced by the server settings, although you may serve as a backseat gunner during the downtime. The open campaign schedule makes this less impactful and gives pilots more opportunities overall to get in the air.
- Randomization galore. Depending on the final format (see poll below) plane sets will rotate randomly hourly with options for "reserve", "normal", and "front line" loadouts at each individual airfield. Mission objectives reset an hour after completion, and locations move randomly each time so that nothing gets stagnant.

What we're asking from those of you who have flown or would be interested in flying in this years campaign is some input. Taking the above statements into account, we want to get a sense of how many pilots would really willing to throw on their old flight jacket and goggles for this style event in ROF at this point, and to get a sense for how "intense" the event should be in terms of flight operations being available to get maximum turnout.

Don't forget the poll at the top.

Paul Bäumer

Jagdstaffel (Jasta) 5

www.jasta5.org

#2 JG1_Vonrd_J10

JG1_Vonrd_J10
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted 26 February 2019 - 02:13

"Open server campaign schedule instead of a few hour window (jump in when you can, do what you can, get out, and come back).  Dawn, Daytime and Dusk missions.  Dawn and dusk missions are different than daytime operations and limited in number."

I'm not sure that I'm a fan of this... it's "Open Server" for sure... but I guess you're taking into consideration how "long in the tooth" ROF is at this point. Still... FIF has had consistently 40 to 60 pilots attending.

"Traditional "scoring" by subtitle is replaced with a new totally log based system that keeps track of all types of missions completed (yes even things like  photo recons and artillery spotting), takes into account the historical rate of infantry casualties on both sides, as well as the impact of the missions pilots complete, as well as the total number of hours flown, pilots lost/captured, etc. and in the end will be woven together into a story that outlines the detailed statistics and events that occur."

Interesting... is it a trade secret how that works? 

"Harsher death penalties are back.  1 hour death enforced by the server settings, although you may serve as a backseat gunner during the downtime."

I would still prefer full DID for the session.

Regardless... I will be there.

S!

#3 US103_Talbot

US103_Talbot

Posted 26 February 2019 - 03:33

Sounds very exciting! I'm on the fence about the traditional 2 window BUT having the several windows will be nice for the players on the other side of the pond and islands. My schedule personally is crazy on weekends and it would be nice not to have to strive to make a specific window. Either way this sounds really cool for one final rof send off and a springboard into fc!

#4 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 26 February 2019 - 05:16

Love the ambition, it sounds brilliant!

The open-server approach with up to 16hr windows is great news for those of us outside the US /Europe and/or with busy family activities in weekends.

BxlHM7Q.png                  HaO2aNP.png

#5 US103_Larner

US103_Larner

Posted 26 February 2019 - 06:00

Agreed - sounds brilliant! Count me in!

4qqm3Za.png                             tyPpSAY.png

#6 Flashy

Flashy
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 26 February 2019 - 07:46

Sounds great Bauemer, I am keen to participate and have voted for the options that appeal to me the most. For the longer mission options (16 and 8 hours) I presume there will be AI planes doing stuff during the mission as well to keep things interesting since I have doubts as to how many players will be online at any given time? It might still be worthwhile with these all day missions to set a "main mission time" where everyone is told to make every effort to be online at that time, kinda like FiF has its 1900GMT time atm. Something like: "The mission runs for 16 hours, so you can play whenever you want, but please make every effort to be present from 1900GMT -2200GMT"

Also, I'm not sure I agree with the decision to move over to FC for the next Bloody April as pretty much none of the aircraft in FC vol 1 even existed in April 1917 (with the exception of the Bristol Fighter which had literally just entered service).  Also, FC is a marginal improvement over RoF at best (basically its RoF ported to an updated engine) and will take a long time before its plane set is anywhere near complete enough to create a decent bloody April scenario. Just my 2 cents..

Just because I can give multiple orgasms to the furniture just by sitting on it, doesn't mean that I'm not sick of this damn war: the blood, the noise, the endless poetry...

#7 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:37

-       The backdrop will be the 2nd Battle of the Asine near Reims.  This is a throwback to Bloody April V.  Plane set scout matchup will feature Nieuport 11s/17s & Spad 150/180s against Alb D.IIs/D.IIIs.

That was my favourite BA :D.

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#8 No.42_Cuban

No.42_Cuban

Posted 26 February 2019 - 21:40

Absolutely made my day reading this post! Thanks Baeumer and all of Jasta5!

It's almost that time and I'm getting that feeling again lol ;)

#9 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 27 February 2019 - 11:52

Just hoping I'm not away from home when this goes up.

#10 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 27 February 2019 - 14:35

Another great service to the community! I hope to be there extensively!

#11 No.42_Cuban

No.42_Cuban

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:20

"The open campaign schedule makes this less impactful and gives pilots more opportunities overall to get in the air."  +1 :)

#12 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 28 February 2019 - 17:21

•  
  •  

Posted Today, 11:20

"The open campaign schedule makes this less impactful and gives pilots more opportunities overall to get in the air." +2

Thank you J5 for all the work y'all put into these events. You have generated friends all over the world as a result of your not inconsiderable efforts. It is appreciated.

#13 J5_Gamecock

J5_Gamecock

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:33

I opted for the Extended Saturday, but the open Saturday looked interesting too.

Gamecock,The Kickin Chickin   http://www.jasta5.org

Untitled.jpg

#14 No.42_Cuban

No.42_Cuban

Posted 03 March 2019 - 17:39

I opted for the Extended Saturday, but the open Saturday looked interesting too.

+1 :)

#15 US103_Talbot

US103_Talbot

Posted 03 March 2019 - 18:23

That extended option is good because you could still have the "traditional" one scheduled as usual and have the others for everyone that wants to drop in. Also could be easier to coordinate since there would be an official start time to each session.

#16 =VS=_emely

=VS=_emely
  • LocationUSSR

Posted 03 March 2019 - 22:28

I voted for, but I need to know what the set of planes will be. If there is that idiocy that Cuban puts his server on - I will refuse to participate.

#17 J5_Gamecock

J5_Gamecock

Posted 03 March 2019 - 22:34

I voted for, but I need to know what the set of planes will be. If there is that idiocy that Cuban puts his server on - I will refuse to participate.

-       The backdrop will be the 2nd Battle of the Asine near Reims.  This is a throwback to Bloody April V.  Plane set scout matchup will feature Nieuport 11s/17s & Spad 150/180s against Alb D.IIs/D.IIIs.

Untitled.jpg

#18 =VS=_emely

=VS=_emely
  • LocationUSSR

Posted 03 March 2019 - 22:55

History and our game are very different things. Perhaps I will find a less interesting lesson than this event. S!

#19 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann
  • LocationChateau Boistrancourt

Posted 04 March 2019 - 14:53

I love Cubans idiocy and @ Emely,  the BA plane set takes the idiocy to a new level as there are no Alb DVs,  Perhaps you can go back to dueling Plank on Arty's server.

#20 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 04 March 2019 - 16:26

Why can't we all get along?!

... uh... oh, I remember, now.

#21 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann

Posted 04 March 2019 - 17:10

We do all get along. I was just pointing out alternatives if one found BA so loathsome.

#22 =VS=_emely

=VS=_emely
  • LocationUSSR

Posted 04 March 2019 - 17:49

I love Cubans idiocy and @ Emely, the BA plane set takes the idiocy to a new level as there are no Alb DVs, Perhaps you can go back to dueling Plank on Arty's server.

I must admit that here I am a little overdone. First of all, the tournament conditions do not allow everyone to freely side with the best pleiset. Secondly, I do not know how much Spad will be, maybe there will be only two of them? Although the question remains, why Spad, and not Sopwith Triplane for example? Or even a little DH.2 :-)
I will be happy to return to the duels, as soon as there are those who want to participate in them, and Arty will turn on the server again.
To you, as a lover of historical reconstructions with great oddities, I will say - a good comedic actor disappears in you.

#23 No.42_Cuban

No.42_Cuban

Posted 05 March 2019 - 12:29

Keeping up foreign relations.... :icon_e_wink:

#24 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann

Posted 05 March 2019 - 14:33

Keeping up foreign relations.... :icon_e_wink:

Unfortunately I can't fly inverted at 1m separation in my Alb DIII for too long.

0.jpg

#25 No.42_Cuban

No.42_Cuban

Posted 06 March 2019 - 13:08

Unfortunately I can't fly inverted at 1m separation in my Alb DIII for too long.

0.jpg

LOL ! :D

#26 J5_Baeumer

J5_Baeumer

Posted 09 March 2019 - 18:26

Please see the original post at the top of this thread for updated information.

Paul Bäumer

Jagdstaffel (Jasta) 5

www.jasta5.org

#27 J5_Baeumer

J5_Baeumer

Posted 12 March 2019 - 15:06

New update today at top of original post.

Paul Bäumer

Jagdstaffel (Jasta) 5

www.jasta5.org

#28 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 13 March 2019 - 18:07

Voted! 2000 GMT is 3:00pm CDT, right? That time would work perfectly for me on most Saturdays! :)

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

xAKPpvf.jpg

#29 Wile_E_Quixote

Wile_E_Quixote
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 March 2019 - 21:54

Deleted

#30 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:59

Yay HLCF, you been missed these past Saturdays! Salute

#31 No.42_Cuban

No.42_Cuban

Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:38

I can read the poll and appreciate everyone's opinion.  I'd like to give extra voice for the "open format" or at least multiple missions periods per Saturday. 

Being that it's the legendary Bloody April event's last hurrah....it should be carried out with excess. 

I can speak for no one else, but if you gentlemen put the map up for multiple sessions, I'd fly as many hours as possible. 

I would ask Jasta5 to appreciate the immersive fighting spirit that comes with being able to participate in one or several of the patrols of the day, which I've always felt was at the heart of this event. 

Perhaps a compromise with 2, 2 hour periods each Saturday with a break in between? (although I'd rather have 3) :)

At any rate, it sounds like it will be a great event, and I'll clear as much time as I possibly can to attend S!

Thank you all for this great event. Salute Jasta 5 !

#32 J5_Baeumer

J5_Baeumer

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:53

Thanks, Cuban.  Appreciate your sentiments regarding the heart of the event.  At the very beginning, the event set out to reflect the historical campaign.....Many Entente planes against a smaller force of more experienced pilots with better resources in an intense, exhaustive struggle for air superiority over the men advancing and defending on the ground.  Those were the days..... the event has evolved and changed to reflect the realities and preferences of the community while still keeping as much of the historical story alive as possible.... hopefully none will be disappointed this year!

Paul Bäumer

Jagdstaffel (Jasta) 5

www.jasta5.org

#33 No.42_Cuban

No.42_Cuban

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:18

Thanks, Cuban.  Appreciate your sentiments regarding the heart of the event.  At the very beginning, the event set out to reflect the historical campaign.....Many Entente planes against a smaller force of more experienced pilots with better resources in an intense, exhaustive struggle for air superiority over the men advancing and defending on the ground.  Those were the days..... the event has evolved and changed to reflect the realities and preferences of the community while still keeping as much of the historical story alive as possible.... hopefully none will be disappointed this year!

No chance of disappointment.  I think the whole community, small as we may be, is completely thrilled you gents are hosting the event one more time.  Thanks again Baeumer and all Jasta 5 S!

#34 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 19 March 2019 - 16:31

A proper Bloody April should have players flying German and RNAS planes, and plenty of RFC machines controlled by hopeless AIs  :).

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#35 J99=Hardy

J99=Hardy
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:18

Salute Gents!

After a long term absence I would like to come back at least for Bloody April. Unfortunately my J5 Forum login (J99*Hardy) does not work any longer and I'm not able to reset the password as well. I hope someone from J5 around here is able to help!?

img_3834.png

#36 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 March 2019 - 18:19

Hardy's back! :D I still remember your "No Parachute" blog series in Flanders in Flames. Top notch stuff! :icon_e_salute:

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

xAKPpvf.jpg

#37 J5_Baeumer

J5_Baeumer

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:28

Try now Hardy. Welcome back!

Paul Bäumer

Jagdstaffel (Jasta) 5

www.jasta5.org

#38 J5_Gamecock

J5_Gamecock

Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:05

Good to see you again Hardy.  Saw you in VM last week, you left before I got to say hello.

S!

Untitled.jpg

#39 J5_Gamecock

J5_Gamecock

Posted 26 March 2019 - 00:39

Just a couple of weeks left before we kick off Bloody April IX. If you are planning on flying and haven't signed in yet, Please do so.

Our forums are up and running and once you are registered sign in can be found HERE

S!

GC

Untitled.jpg

#40 J5_Baeumer

J5_Baeumer

Posted 30 March 2019 - 17:10

Please see the original post at the top of this thread for updated information. 

Paul Bäumer

Jagdstaffel (Jasta) 5

www.jasta5.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users