- - - - -

An idea I had....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 von_Heimler

von_Heimler
  • LocationChilliwack, BC Canada

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:00

That would definitely help me and maybe some others. I'm trying to fly without navigation icons but I get disoriented very easily so I was wondering if it would be possible to put the blue icon of your plane on the map to help point me in the right direction. Right now I'm having to use auto-pilot to keep me on course and I would like to get rid of that assist as well. I was also thinking that the blue icon of your plane could be removed from the map when flying with navigation icons on as you don't need it when you have the red dots in the air to point you to your destination.

One last change I would like to see is the map moved down from where it displays on screen to the bottom right to improve visibility while it is on.

Thanks for hearing me out,

BlueNinja

PS: this sim has become a wonderful joy to play since update 1.009 and am looking forward to buying the complete set of planes this month.

Signature_zpsy2runyft.jpg

"Become an Ace by mastering your aircraft!"

#2 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:41

Hi

I might be mistake here, but try this.
Open the Map then right click to open the map options.
I think there is a button that will center on you. Not that it 'shows' you, but the spot in the middle of the map is where you are.
Try it, I think that's what it does. I haven't used it except when I first checked it out after the update. I was on the airfield. When I hit a option button on the maps frame, it moved the map with the airfield (thus my position) in the center. So I take it centers on you anywhere you are.
Don't hold me to that though :?

You can also move and resize the map after you right click on it to open the options frame. Do it just like a window. That I am sure of ;)

#3 von_Heimler

von_Heimler

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:09

Thanks Butch! I wasn't aware there were options for the map so I appreciate the tips and will definitely try these out tomorrow.

Merry Christmas to you and yours,

BlueNinja

#4 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:02

Hi again.
Thank you and Merry Christmas to you and yours too :)

Got some bad new though. It doesn't do like I thought it did. It doesn't center on you, it seems to center the mission area. Wouldn't much help, if lost.

I can suggest to find landmarks on the ground and then locate them on the map.
Even if you don't know where you are, you probably know what direction you strayed off in. I mean like going north of the mission zone. So, when you spot some good landmarks for references, scroll the map north some and hunt around.

The map is really quite accurate and after a bit of use becomes easier to find your location on it. Navigating by it isn't really very difficult. I think in most cases, it wouldn't take very long to know where you were.

Having a player position marker is okay though. I'm sure if it was put in, it would get used by some players. It would have a tick box option, I imagine. So it sounds like a great idea.

#5 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:18

Yes guys it's not that difficult to navigate without icons…my only problem is, as i already post it, the waypoints are not wide enough. The action waypoint still give me problem, because i have to pass it exactly right on it, otherwise nothing appears for the task :(
Talesk2 answer me maybe they should enlarge those points ;)
I really hope so…it's a bit ennoying to turn around trying to unlock the action :lol:
Regards

#6 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 12 December 2009 - 14:21

I think it would be a good thing to see aircraft icons separated from whether there are icons on the map.

#7 von_Heimler

von_Heimler

Posted 12 December 2009 - 16:08

The action waypoint still give me problem, because i have to pass it exactly right on it, otherwise nothing appears for the task :(
Talesk2 answer me maybe they should enlarge those points ;)
I really hope so…it's a bit ennoying to turn around trying to unlock the action :lol:
Regards

This is one reason I suggest the icon for your plane be put back on the map then you would know exactly where you are so you could cross your waypoints efficiently, no need to enlarge the points.

Cheers,

BlueNinja

#8 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 12 December 2009 - 16:34

Hi again

Yes, a blue dot would be very helpful to ensure you hit the action waypoint.
However, some of us wouldn't want the dot on the map.
For us that would rather not have it, we do need the action point trigger made a little larger.

I haven't messed with the keys to turn on icons, but I suppose if icons are unticked, keys will not turn them on while in a mission (?). So, if a blue dot is added, I guess it would work the same way. So if a player has it off in the settings, then the keyboard key won't display it.
I would want it to work like that.

So it could have a new entry for;
Show Self on Map tick box.
Ticked it would show the blue dot, but could be turned off/on via a key. Unticked and no blue dot, key will not turn it on.

That way, no aids on can remain intact. No aids should not allow a blue dot to be shown, imo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users