Photo
- - - - -

USB flight controllers mess & relief

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 28 January 2019 - 22:35

So my problem is sometimes my controllers get messed up. It seems to happen more often now that I own two twin Saitek throttles.

Anyway, I don't want to reconfigure my actions every time. I found this more practical way to do it. You'll need Windows Powershell. This comes with Windows 7 and 10, at least.

So...

1) assuming you have a working something.actions file in your "C:\Program Files (x86)\1C-777\Rise of Flight\data\input" directory (your path may vary, "something" is just a placeholder for your actual file name)...

2) just copy that to BACKUP.actions or whatever, just so you don't screw up your setup due to what I'll show you here...

3) then do ANOTHER copy called something.actions.TEMPLATE. Now edit this file and check which of joy0, joy1, joy2*, joy3*, etc. show in that file and what they are for real. In my case, I figured joy3 was my joystick, joy0 were my pedals, joy1 was my left throttle quadrant and and joy2 was my right throttle quadrant.

4) Now that you have that, you just replace those strings in the something.actions.TEMPLATE file with more interesting ones, by opening a Command Prompt, and running the commands below on your data\input directory, AFTER adapting them to your specific reality. Remember, one command per device, and you need to find its current correct number. For me, it currently is:

powershell -Command "(gc something.actions.TEMPLATE) -replace 'joy3', 'joyJOYSTICK' | Out-File -encoding ASCII something.actions.TEMPLATE"
powershell -Command "(gc something.actions.TEMPLATE) -replace 'joy0', 'joyPEDALS' | Out-File -encoding ASCII something.actions.TEMPLATE"
powershell -Command "(gc something.actions.TEMPLATE) -replace 'joy1', 'joyLEFTTHROTTLE' | Out-File -encoding ASCII something.actions.TEMPLATE"
powershell -Command "(gc something.actions.TEMPLATE) -replace 'joy2', 'joyRIGHTTHROTTLE' | Out-File -encoding ASCII something.actions.TEMPLATE"

These names joyJOYSTICK, joyPEDALS, etc. can be any UNIQUE string that makes sense for you. Just make them long and weird enough so that when you later replace them back you won't catch anything else but THAT string.

So now your something.actions.TEMPLATE has your right configuration but AGNOSTIC of device numbering. You'll want to keep this file intact.

5) Now, when your PC screws up your USB assignments, you just go to controls, figure out which are swapped, copy something.actions.TEMPLATE to a new file named something.actions and run the appropriate set of commands to reset the numbering...

powershell -Command "(gc something.actions) -replace 'joyJOYSTICK', 'joy3' | Out-File -encoding ASCII something.actions"
powershell -Command "(gc something.actions) -replace 'joyPEDALS', 'joy0' | Out-File -encoding ASCII something.actions"
powershell -Command "(gc something.actions) -replace 'joyLEFTTHROTTLE', 'joy1' | Out-File -encoding ASCII something.actions"
powershell -Command "(gc something.actions) -replace 'joyRIGHTTHROTTLE', 'joy2' | Out-File -encoding ASCII something.actions"

Just remember to load your new actions from something.actions inside the game, hit APPLY, and you're done!

#2 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann
  • LocationChateau Boistrancourt

Posted 29 January 2019 - 15:06

One of the benefits of flying by keyboard.

#3 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 29 January 2019 - 17:09

Ah, but is it a USB keyboard?

#4 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann
  • LocationChateau Boistrancourt

Posted 29 January 2019 - 17:51

Ah, but is it a USB keyboard?

yes FFB keyboard. Bought it from Plank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users