Photo
- - - - -

FM improvements

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 co6aka

co6aka

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:34

Good game. Sometimes after a mission I feel I'm stepping off a real airplane, wiping away the sweat and catching my breath. The flight model is very nice, and yet it leaves me bummed out. I understand it is a difficult undertaking to provide a truly realistic flight experience, and the game has some very nice effects to that end, but yet, forgive the pun, I don't feel it has covered any new ground in terms of flight model since IL2 or Flanker2.

For one, p-factor feels canned: it is there on takeoff but not there when resuming from slow flight at high alpha: advancing full throttle does not cause any yaw, while it should.

Spins feel scripted… the plane does not respond to normal anti-spin controls in a natural way. Perhaps my technique of nose down, engine idle, ailerons neutral and full opposite rudder is not proper for a Spad or a Fokker, but the plane just seems to spin away, oblivious to any attempts to neutralize it or even rock it along in any axis.

Last, the wind. The windsock seems to be just a decoration as I don't see any drift or any wind effects on takeoff or landing. For anyone flying in a small airplane, wind is everything.

Maybe these things are modeled and I just failed to notice them. Maybe this is an overkill for a combat flight sim. Maybe. But, frankly, for a major flight sim release coming from Russia I would expect the improvements to be much deeper than a bunch of eye and ear candy compared to its predecessors.

#2 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:14

Good game. Sometimes after a mission I feel I'm stepping off a real airplane, wiping away the sweat and catching my breath. The flight model is very nice, and yet it leaves me bummed out. I understand it is a difficult undertaking to provide a truly realistic flight experience, and the game has some very nice effects to that end, but yet, forgive the pun, I don't feel it has covered any new ground in terms of flight model since IL2 or Flanker2.

For one, p-factor feels canned: it is there on takeoff but not there when resuming from slow flight at high alpha: advancing full throttle does not cause any yaw, while it should.

Spins feel scripted… the plane does not respond to normal anti-spin controls in a natural way. Perhaps my technique of nose down, engine idle, ailerons neutral and full opposite rudder is not proper for a Spad or a Fokker, but the plane just seems to spin away, oblivious to any attempts to neutralize it or even rock it along in any axis.

Last, the wind. The windsock seems to be just a decoration as I don't see any drift or any wind effects on takeoff or landing. For anyone flying in a small airplane, wind is everything.

Maybe these things are modeled and I just failed to notice them. Maybe this is an overkill for a combat flight sim. Maybe. But, frankly, for a major flight sim release coming from Russia I would expect the improvements to be much deeper than a bunch of eye and ear candy compared to its predecessors.

Good observations (I agree with them in general). First, p-factor and gyroscopic precession have been discussed in considerable depth in a few other threads, so I'll not comment other than to say, they seem a bit diluted to me as well. Devs have stated they wish people to remember this is a sim, but there's a definitive need to retain the fun-factor for the less dedicated or hardcore simmer as well.

Windsocks are to be dynamically animated and become fully functional sometime in the future.

Lastly, the modeling improvements are quite deep and complex in comparison to IL2 and other older sims. If you really don't see it, fly some more. I'm not a fanboy and flew IL2 since the beta and demo days as well. Still enjoy it on rare occasions, and while there are some things in need of some tweaks, this truly IS a next-gen sim.

S!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users